Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

Callaron
01.07.2014 , 05:00 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Grand_Nagus View Post
/unthread

Sorry, but you arent a mod. People can discuss this as long as they want, whether you want the thread open or not
Yep, and for me at least there is a huge difference in implementation between selling them directly - and selling them as part of a lottery.
I'd love some DLC packs on the CM, but the moment they start with the random luck crap again like they did with the cubes it'd be an instant no go.
Not to mention the cubes were a pretty bad idea all around IMO:

1) They "continued" an existing storyline, that you can start as F2P and then you are suddenly expected to pay to see a few extra scenes.

2) I suspect that part of what caused the outrage was the fact that they were trying to nickle and dime "story" content out of people... I mean, c'mon... charging money for 30 seconds of cutscene with no gameplay whatsoever?

There's a bunch of MMO's that release adventure packs successfully - with TSW being another good example.
I'm starting to think that they "experimented" with a completely terrible idea to begin with just so that they could use it as an example of "See? It can't be done. We tried. We really, really did."
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

LtGeneralGezlin
01.07.2014 , 05:05 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
The forums got PO'ed back when the forums launched and it was leaked that microtransactions were to be considered. Yet here we are now, eh?

Forums don't know everything. If the game WAS freemium in the first place, we likely never would have lost the original writing team due to the layoffs, and an idea like mine wouldn't even have been necessary...
The point is, the backlash outweighed the good comments, so the Dev's decided not to add Story stuff to the CM. Eric even said as much. I wouldn't hold my breath on this, same reason why people couldn't buy ROTHC with Cartel Coins, people would have gotten mad. And, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the "original" writing team is still at BW... Doing what? Who knows...
CE Owner - The Gallifreyan Legacy - Squad 238 Tester
55 Gunslinger, 50 Commando, 50 Sentinel, 55 Shadow.
50 Operative, 18 Mercenary, 55 Marauder, 55 Juggernaut, 50 Sorcerer.

Jrea
01.07.2014 , 05:06 PM | #13
Dam, could you imagine the response form selling continued class stories in the CM? Like Gree Event complaints 1000,000K.

I think we are done with class stories, Its not just the cost, its how much the devs care, and in this game they don't. Hopefully Disney will be bringing out some new SW games soon and swtor can finally die a slow death.

ELRunninW
01.07.2014 , 05:22 PM | #14
I can give you a reason. If you chose to try this, you would need to raise money up front, which can not be done with CM. No, it can not because current profits already go a specified drawer. Therefore you would need to find someone in EA who is willing to gamble. The history of this game does not encourage that, so no luck there.
If you secure funding you will next have to hire required crew, writers, artists, and actors. You would not want to do it for few stories but a long term, which means you would need a lot of money to achieve this. This means that the problem starts and ends with popularity of the game and feasibility of such project.

ZionHalcyon
01.07.2014 , 06:53 PM | #15
Not quite. A class quest on its own would be about the duration of oricon's story. And when you consider I said to do this AFTER they release a faction planet, and re-using that planet as the class story backdrop. So no, nowhere near as expensive as you claim, because it makes use out of something bioware is going to do anyway (allegedly).

Aiobhill
01.07.2014 , 07:02 PM | #16
To sell a class story on the cartel market, they'd have to develop it first and they seem to be doubting it will recoup it's expenses.

The - for EA - safer option would be to use a system similar to kickstarter. If enough people pledge enough money, more class stories get developed. If not, it's the communities fault . Main risk, a failed 'kickstarter' would fuel the 'game is in decline' propaganda.

Zorvan
01.07.2014 , 07:59 PM | #18
Which intern is going to write these stories?

Who are they going to find to voice them? Even if they can still afford those who voiced the player characters and other main characters like Malgus or Shan, what makes you think these people even want to come back to do them? Or are even available to do them?

It's amazing, everyone wants more class stories, but won't take 5 minutes to think of all the little things that have to be brought together just for one little class quest pack because EAware early development focused more on presentation than long-term feasibility.

Of course, if you don't mind that your character will forever be a silent character in any future class stories and that instead of getting to ever interact with Malgus or Shan or anyone else of a high profile you'll instead be relegated to interacting with one-off characters voiced by Bob the janitor, then let EAware know and maybe they'll manage that much for you.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aiobhill View Post
To sell a class story on the cartel market, they'd have to develop it first and they seem to be doubting it will recoup it's expenses.

The - for EA - safer option would be to use a system similar to kickstarter. If enough people pledge enough money, more class stories get developed. If not, it's the communities fault . Main risk, a failed 'kickstarter' would fuel the 'game is in decline' propaganda.
Noone would fund any Kickstarter project that had an EA label on it. Not only that, but the Kickstarter would prove to everyone the minute it was listed that SWtoR is a "failure".

"Successes" with multi-billion dollar companies behind them wouldn't need Kickstarters just to add some DLC.

Arkerus
01.07.2014 , 08:19 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
The forums got PO'ed back when the forums launched and it was leaked that microtransactions were to be considered. Yet here we are now, eh?

Forums don't know everything. If the game WAS freemium in the first place, we likely never would have lost the original writing team due to the layoffs, and an idea like mine wouldn't even have been necessary...
Your idea is far from necessary.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

ZionHalcyon
01.07.2014 , 08:48 PM | #20
Which intern? The same one who does the daily story smart Alec. Point is, if it drove revenue in the cartel market, they could afford more than just an intern, genius.

Or are you one of those who don't want class stories because you fear not getting more P vp?

And arkus, it's obvious you're flame baiting... Are you just here to troll and be a contrarian?