Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

ZionHalcyon
01.07.2014 , 04:15 PM | #1
I mean, seriously. Why not? DDO is a good template. Subs get access to the new area for free and a week early, F2P and Freemium members have to pay Store currency to unlock the pack, but once they unlock it they own it.

Imagine this as a scenario. Devs work hard to release a planet with a faction quest for each faction ala makeb. Charge the Makeb price ($29.99) and all the work that goes with it.

Then, over time, release the individual class quests on that planet for a fee of cartel coins - something that continues the adventure of your character. Can release different professions throughout the year, and just before the next planet comes out, have all of them go on sale in a bundle pack, like they have discounted for hypercrates of cartel packs.

This way, people can either buy their own profession's adventure, or stock up and wait for the bundle and get all the professions out at once.

If given the choice between a system like this or no class story at all, I'll take this.

ZionHalcyon
01.07.2014 , 04:20 PM | #2
The key here is, the class quests would be on the same planet as the just released faction quest.

If the writers feel particularly clever, perhaps the dialogue can change in some parts to better reflect the class story going on. I know Makeb was generic, but it would be nice if the intro and outtro of that planet changed to better reflect your class story if they so desired to start such a thing there as a testing ground for it.

Nemmar
01.07.2014 , 04:24 PM | #3
Why not just make an expansion and sell that? Thats what i'd like to know.

I have been told here its cause they dont think it will sell enough. I think it would sell at least a million, but oh well...

The_Grand_Nagus
01.07.2014 , 04:26 PM | #4
The problem with this idea is that some professions are simply more popular than others. In turn, certain professions story content would makes lots of money, while others wouldnt. In turn, Bioware would "follow the money" and make lots of content for the popular professions, and only a little for the not so popular ones. So the end results of such an idea would be the most popular professions having lots of content packs, while the not so popular professions would only have a few.
ALL YOUR LATINUM ARE BELONG TO ME

ZionHalcyon
01.07.2014 , 04:32 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Grand_Nagus View Post
The problem with this idea is that some professions are simply more popular than others. In turn, certain professions story content would makes lots of money, while others wouldnt. In turn, Bioware would "follow the money" and make lots of content for the popular professions, and only a little for the non so popular ones. So the end results of such an idea would be the most popular professions having lots of content packs, while the not so popular professions would only have a few.
If you follow a particular track and lets say that is true, that isn't the only way it could go down.

You still could in a calendar year hit all the professions. However, the allocation and resources would be divided up based on sales. Even the least profession would get some love in the form of class stories, but theirs might not be as meaty as the more popular one. Thats one way to mitigate that cost while keeping every profession relatively happy.

Also consider that it would likely take them a calendar year just to add all 8 class professions to that planet. So they aren't out of the gate going to be able to just pick a profession and say "we're just doing this one". After all, just because there's more people in one profession doesn't mean that those people are more willing to spend on a class story over another profession.

The point is, there's a way to go round robin on the class stories and still manage the money going forward by dividing up the allocation of resources based on sales - everyone still gets class stories, but the top quality goes to the one with the most sales. As sales and tastes shift, so does the resources on an annual basis.

Seems fair to me.

LtGeneralGezlin
01.07.2014 , 04:45 PM | #6
Bioware tried this already, when they put the Datacubes in the Cartel Packs. The forums got p-oed about it, saying that Lore doesn't belong there. I'm pretty sure they'd get ever angrier if BW sold Class Story content in the CM.
CE Owner - The Gallifreyan Legacy - Squad 238 Tester
60 Gunslinger, 50 Commando, 50 Sentinel, 57 Shadow.
50 Operative, 18 Mercenary, 60 Marauder, 57 Juggernaut, 50 Sorcerer.

Andryah
01.07.2014 , 04:48 PM | #7
Once.... just once... they released some little story snippets in a box in the CPs. If you unlocked and did the terminal misisons from each of those.. you got 30 seconds of unrelated to the class story and a unique set of adaptive armor for doing all six.

AND THE FORUM ERUPTED IN OUTRAGE THAT THEY PUT STORY (NO MATTER HOW SMALL) IN THE CM.

So Eric posted that they would never do that again. Players got their wish.

/Thread
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

The_Grand_Nagus
01.07.2014 , 04:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
/Thread
/unthread

Sorry, but you arent a mod. People can discuss this as long as they want, whether you want the thread open or not
ALL YOUR LATINUM ARE BELONG TO ME

ZionHalcyon
01.07.2014 , 04:53 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LtGeneralGezlin View Post
Bioware tried this already, when they put the Datacubes in the Cartel Packs. The forums got p-oed about it, saying that Lore doesn't belong there. I'm pretty sure they'd get ever angrier if BW sold Class Story content in the CM.
The forums got PO'ed back when the forums launched and it was leaked that microtransactions were to be considered. Yet here we are now, eh?

Forums don't know everything. If the game WAS freemium in the first place, we likely never would have lost the original writing team due to the layoffs, and an idea like mine wouldn't even have been necessary...

SteelPiranha
01.07.2014 , 04:57 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
Why not just make an expansion and sell that?
I'd prefer this to anything else honestly. Making an xpac that contained all class stories would be best case scenario by far. But if that's not feasible...
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
If given the choice between a system like this or no class story at all, I'll take this.
I definitely agree on this though. If the content is worth the cost of admission, sign me up.

I just don't want to have to buy CPs for a chance to receive my story that I want.