Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My Collectors Edition security key doesn't work, and keeps producing a new number?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
My Collectors Edition security key doesn't work, and keeps producing a new number?

JRMB
12.24.2011 , 05:36 AM | #1
Every time I click my security key button it is a different number, and none of them seem to work on the website for registering the security key. Am I doing something wrong?

Elysion
12.24.2011 , 05:41 AM | #2
Its supposed to give a new number ever few minutes (seconds?), thats the point, to make it so you cant login unless you have that thing to show you the current number.

When registering it it asks you for two things, the first is the serial number of the thing, thats on the back. It will also ask for the currently displayed number after that, i can't recall if its on the same page or it asks for it later.

Which is it asking you for?

Tanaki
12.24.2011 , 06:32 AM | #3
The serial number to put in the first box is the x-xxxxxxx-x number on the back of the authenticator.

The code in the second box is given to you when you press the button.

The code will change every 30s or so. That is the idea behind the security. If the code remained the same it could be copied and used, it would be no more secure than your password.

NB: each code can only be used the once. In that 30s period if you logged in using the code and quickly logged out then tried to use it again it would tell you it was a bad code. In that instance you wait until the 30s period is up and press the button again to receive the next code.