Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

launcher needs to redownload 11 gigs of assets...why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
launcher needs to redownload 11 gigs of assets...why?

IgnusDei
12.23.2011 , 09:26 PM | #1
Well? I installed this from a DVD, and while i can understand the need for a patch...11 gigs? what the hell is going on and how do i fix this?

Aurovoros
12.23.2011 , 11:30 PM | #2
Fought this issue for the past few days. Finally took my wife's laptop, installed, patched successfully. Copied the Electronic Arts folder to a USB flash drive, then pasted over the same folder on my PC, replacing the old files. Deleted the old desktop shortcut and used the Launcher.exe among the newly copied over files. Issue resolved.

Now all that said, not a whole helluva lot of difference between her laptop and my pc. Both running identical versions of Win 7 32-bit. The only thing I can latch onto is this: I work in IT, and for better or worse (worse in this case I think) am kinda anal about keeping my system up to date, be it Windows updates, Java, Adobe, whatever. She is not so much. My guess is I have some sort of update that her laptop does not that is causing the issue.

My advice is this: Get yourself a storage device that will handle 20 GB, install the game on another computer that will follow all the way through the process, then copy/paste the new over the old. Quite time consuming but it worked for me.

IgnusDei
12.24.2011 , 04:18 AM | #3
well, i tried this, and while it does let me start the game, i still have to contend with the game crashing whenever i get to the loading screen. :/

gonna try a reboot.

IgnusDei
12.24.2011 , 04:38 AM | #4
Reboot didn't quite work, so i launched fixlauncher. That got me as far as the character screen. loading a character doens't seem to be working too good, though.

Bu hey, PROGRESS!

IgnusDei
12.24.2011 , 04:44 AM | #5
gentlemen, i am back in business!

Superdude-
12.24.2011 , 04:54 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurovoros View Post
Fought this issue for the past few days. Finally took my wife's laptop, installed, patched successfully. Copied the Electronic Arts folder to a USB flash drive, then pasted over the same folder on my PC, replacing the old files. Deleted the old desktop shortcut and used the Launcher.exe among the newly copied over files. Issue resolved.

Now all that said, not a whole helluva lot of difference between her laptop and my pc. Both running identical versions of Win 7 32-bit. The only thing I can latch onto is this: I work in IT, and for better or worse (worse in this case I think) am kinda anal about keeping my system up to date, be it Windows updates, Java, Adobe, whatever. She is not so much. My guess is I have some sort of update that her laptop does not that is causing the issue.

My advice is this: Get yourself a storage device that will handle 20 GB, install the game on another computer that will follow all the way through the process, then copy/paste the new over the old. Quite time consuming but it worked for me.

You work in IT and this is the best solution you can come up with?

IgnusDei
12.24.2011 , 05:09 AM | #7
hey, don't knock it: it works.

renegadeimp
12.24.2011 , 05:26 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by IgnusDei View Post
hey, don't knock it: it works.
Not knocking it, but if you work in IT and the best method you can come up with is ignoring the problem and sticking with a workaround.....
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Shimekorose
12.24.2011 , 05:40 AM | #9
This is happening to me too, need some help

IgnusDei
12.24.2011 , 06:03 AM | #10
well, read the thread, man.