Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

Fanyen's Avatar


Fanyen
12.19.2013 , 10:11 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
It has been widely shown that the dark side is the quick and easy path to power, and that many fall because the lure of that power is too great for them to resist.
I accept that power comes faster and more easily when one gives in to the dark. My argument was that I think a very large portion of dark Jedi turn dark because it's less restrictive. Once they take the first few steps, the power pulls them in further. Look at Anakin. He fell to the dark side to begin with, because the Jedi had too many restrictions. If the Jedi weren't so heavy handed when it came to love and family, and they actually learned to cope with their emotions, as opposed to just trying to control, or shut them out, Anakin may not have fallen.

The Sith and most dark Jedi let their emotions, mostly hate, and anger and the like, run free. I think if force users learned how to handle their emotions, both good and bad, in a healthy way they could be stronger.
The Potentium, Imperial Knights, Gray Jedi (and I mean true gray, not "I just can't make up my mind" types), and Voss mystics are a great example.
My referral link has been removed, because Bioware is inept.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
12.19.2013 , 11:17 PM | #32
Sadishist,

I do not think any answer is going to satisfy you.

Neither side is more powerful than the other. A Dark Lord of the Sith and a Jedi with the same Midiclorian count have the same overall power in using the Force.

The differences lie in philosophy and application of that "raw power"

As someone else quoted but not fully:

Quote:
Yoda: Yes, run! Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?
Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.
Luke: But tell my why I can't...
Yoda: No, no! There is no "why".
Dark Jedi and Sith use their power openly and raw. Those of the Dark Side also wish to control the Force; dominate it. But in the end it is the Dark Side that dominates them.

Those of the Light Side believe and take to heart that it is the Force that guides them; The Force and Jedi Knights are allies...partners, both controlling and being controlled by the other.

Quote:
Obi-wan: remember a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him
Luke: You mean it controls your actions?
Obi-wan: Partially but it also obeys your commands.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)


high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
12.19.2013 , 11:58 PM | #33
The Dark Side may not give you greater power overall than the Light, but the power you do gain comes with fewer restrictions on how you use it. The Dark Side lets you use your power towards self-satisfying goals, you're able to think of yourself as your own master, and as master over the Force, rather than seeing yourself as a servant to others and an instrument of the Force. That sense of dominance is very appealing to some people - which is why Yoda and others label the Dark Side so seductive.

Think of it this way (using an arbitrary "Power Scale" for the "Force Power" level you're talking about):
You can either be:

Light Side: Force Level 100, but have to put others before yourself, deny yourself earthly pleasures that may lead you astray, follow the will of the Force.
-or-
Dark Side: Force Level 95, get to use that power to take whatever you want, whenever you want.

The problem of course is that when there's 1,000 other guys of roughly comparable power level seeking to take whatever they want, whenever they want too, you tend to wind up living a rather short, violent life unless you've got the raw power to continually come out on top, or the cunning to safely navigate the battlefield that becomes your life - but most Sith are arrogant enough to think that they fit that bill right up until they wind up on the end of someone else's lightsaber.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
12.20.2013 , 01:02 AM | #34
Simple version;

Jedi : A life of sacrifice in the service of the people, with tons of rules and traditions telling them how they should live their life.

Darkside (whether DarksideJedi or Sith) : The whole world is your oyster, baby! Take what you want, live it up and indulge your every whim and desire.
You might as well ask why some people become criminals in the real world.
And as was said before, it's the fast track to power - the Darkside excels at aggressive powers, such as Force choke and Force Lightning.

I'm also not entirely convinced that they are equals when it comes to power in combat.
Usually the powerful Sith are defeated by numbers, treachery or the Jedi getting really, really ticked off (essentially tapping into emotion/darkside themselves).
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

CaliJoe's Avatar


CaliJoe
12.20.2013 , 01:55 AM | #35
Lore wise: It is very much of human nature to live by the Sith Code.

Player wise: I was tired of being "nice".
Wild speculation on forums? When does that happen? The Harbinger - Fumanshu Legacy
Repub: Jafaean(Arms), Zelgen(Artifice), Espellah(Cyber), Jabender(Synthweave)
Imp: Vindrock(Armor), Antshell(BioChem), Li'Larish, Kenevil

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
12.20.2013 , 03:00 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Fanyen View Post
See, I don't agree with that.

I think a lot of people who choose the dark side do it because it offers less restrictions. Less rules saying what you can and can't do. I don't think most do it just because it's the "easy" way to power. I think that's just a huge side benefit for many.
The light side, per se, doesn't have many rules, but it is restricting. Yoda says you will know the difference when Luke remains calm, passive. And that's basically what the "central tenet" of the Jedi code "There is no passion..." which Bioware quotes pretty often (even though it originates from very remote canon, a pen and paper rulebook) elaborates. You don't need to obey the Jedi Council to be light side, you must do what is "right", reflecting calmly to find out what that is.

Whether you say that the dark side is more seductive in that it is the quick and easy path (not necessarily to power), or that the light side is too restrictive is basically the same thing backward and forward.

vandenis's Avatar


vandenis
12.20.2013 , 03:32 AM | #37
dark side is freedom sith code is answer with dark side you are free do wath you want do

Girdeux's Avatar


Girdeux
12.20.2013 , 04:00 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Sadishist,

I do not think any answer is going to satisfy you.

Neither side is more powerful than the other. A Dark Lord of the Sith and a Jedi with the same Midiclorian count have the same overall power in using the Force.
Is that so?

"...to become the most powerful Jedi, and the only way you can really do that is to go to the Dark side because the Dark side is more powerful. If you want the ultimate power you really have to go to the stronger side, which is the Dark side..." - George Lucas [AOTC commentary]

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
12.20.2013 , 07:10 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...
It really depends on the way you look at it. From a lore point of view the Dark side offers a quick and seductive path and offers the user a vast array of abilities. But to say that one is more powerful is quite subjective. So no it is not pointless at all.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Sith-Viscera's Avatar


Sith-Viscera
12.20.2013 , 09:07 AM | #40
I ready posted about this, but i also like to add.
Although i 100% believe the The Path to the dark side is faster and the dark side is the most powerful, with that said.
It is also Reckless and it can leave you vulnerable, because you think your invisible and nothing can hurt you.
So, if Yoda would say this next part he would say, "Stronger the Dark side is, Harder to control, it will be.
Consume you to Death, it does......... "