Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

ScarletBlaze
12.19.2013 , 05:47 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Sorry that wasn't what I meant. Not physical strength, not mental strength, but Force strength. AKA midi-chlorian count.
Midi-Chlorian were in all life forms. I don't believe that was the reason someone chose the dark side over the light side. I still believe choosing dark over light comes down to a personal choice . Midi-Chlorians had no bearing on that.

Take for example Darth Plagueis he tried to manipulative the midi-chlorians.

Read this from (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian)

In the decades before the Battle of Naboo, Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Plagueis commenced his own experiments with the midi-chlorians. While the Jedi thought of the cellular organelles as symbionts, Plagueis believed they were interlopers, running interference for the Force, and standing in the way of a beings' ability to contact the Force directly. Through years of experimentation, Plagueis had honed an ability to perceive the actions of midi-chlorians. Furthermore, Plagueis believed that only the Sith understood that sentient life was on the verge of a transformative leap; that through the manipulation of midi-chlorians, or the overthrow of the Forceful group that supervised them, the divide between organic life and the Force could be bridged, and death could be erased from the continuum. In order to further the Grand Plan, Darth Plagueis, and his apprentice, Darth Sidious, committed an act in direct violation to the nature of the Force, and attempted to tip its balance toward the dark side. The experiment yielded unfruitful however, and the midi-chlorians, unwilling to comply, struck back in retaliation conceiving a savior to ultimately destroy the Sith: the prophesied Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

redsovereign
12.19.2013 , 05:53 PM | #22
deleted
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."

redsovereign
12.19.2013 , 06:07 PM | #23
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...
I'd say that the Dark Side is much more powerful, every time a Dark Master have fallen it's because a major Lore Character such as Luke/Anakin/Obi-Wan etc have fought them and won. Anakin lost to Kenobi mainly because his hatred blinded him so much that he only saw red when he should have been strategic in battle and not underestimate Kenobi.

Speaking of Anakin killing of Dooku, Anakin had already begun to turn thus I'd argue that a Fallen Jedi /Dark Jedi defeated a Sith not a Jedi defeated a Sith.

How many Jedi did Grievous, Exar Kun, Jerec or Maul kill before they were defeated?

Yoda vs the Emperor; who won? The Emperor won and Yoda went into exile abandoning and leaving the Jedi to get hunted and slaughtered in masses by the Empire. Thank's Yoda! So much for the light side being stronger.

And I feel that is the answer to your question; in the Star Wars lore the evil force is defeated when it's faced by a challenger that can defeat and overcome the evil. When the evil corrupts the challenger, the challenger either falls(dies) or becomes the new evil. It's because it mainly is a children/teenie story and the formula is easy to understand, follow and it just works!

Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast., Mulan, Jackie Chan Movies, Rocky Movies.. you name it... they all have the same storyline structure, the same difficulties that the hero have to overcome; the hero have to face the badness get beaten by it, rise up and defeat it *add in a 80s training montage here* and it's a great simple formula so why change it?

Reason my character is a Sith? I like the aesthetics more of the Sith and I also love the politics that's going on in the Dark Council and the Empire overall. Agent story is my favourite storyline in this game just for that reason.
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."

Fanyen
12.19.2013 , 06:29 PM | #24
Dark Helmet said it best: "...now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."
My referral link has been removed, because Bioware is inept.

Rabenschwinge
12.19.2013 , 06:36 PM | #25
Not in direct conflict. But the dark side means you take what you want and ultimately do not submit to any restraints. The light side can mean that you cease to act and even accept defeat if you an action would be dark. The dark side is always about victory at all costs. Tactically either side is equally strong. Strategically an individual that belongs to the dark side is more powerful, the strength of the light side is unity - but an individual simply doesn't accumulate power.

Hardly anyone chooses the dark side because they deliberately desire to be evil. On the contrary, some Jedi have fallen out of the best of intentions, because they couldn't live with their limitations any more. At some point everyone has to compromise and choose the lesser of two evils. That's deceptive though, the Force polarizes and it's very easy to become the very evil you're trying to fight. The Sith are a different story, of course.

At least that's the way I see it, primarily based on what Yoda says on Dagobah.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Aurbere
12.19.2013 , 06:53 PM | #26
It's the quick and easy path to power. Many times it has been said that the Jedi's Path is a long and difficult one. Those who join the Dark Side want power and they want it right away. It doesn't matter which side is more powerful, it's about amassing as much power as you can as fast as you can.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Fanyen
12.19.2013 , 07:02 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
It's the quick and easy path to power. Many times it has been said that the Jedi's Path is a long and difficult one. Those who join the Dark Side want power and they want it right away. It doesn't matter which side is more powerful, it's about amassing as much power as you can as fast as you can.
See, I don't agree with that.

I think a lot of people who choose the dark side do it because it offers less restrictions. Less rules saying what you can and can't do. I don't think most do it just because it's the "easy" way to power. I think that's just a huge side benefit for many.
My referral link has been removed, because Bioware is inept.

Aurbere
12.19.2013 , 07:11 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Fanyen View Post
See, I don't agree with that.

I think a lot of people who choose the dark side do it because it offers less restrictions. Less rules saying what you can and can't do. I don't think most do it just because it's the "easy" way to power. I think that's just a huge side benefit for many.
It has been widely shown that the dark side is the quick and easy path to power, and that many fall because the lure of that power is too great for them to resist.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Little_Judas
12.19.2013 , 07:48 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
It has been widely shown that the dark side is the quick and easy path to power, and that many fall because the lure of that power is too great for them to resist.
Maybe the basic stuff acquired faster or to put it better, more effective with less training.
But Fanyen was right when he mentioned being free of restrictions, Ajunta Pall and his followers experimented with certain aspects of the force and the Jedi council didn't like it. So Pall went to war with the Jedi, a fight to be free to do what he wanted.
Don't forget that Pall was a Jedi Master who just used the force just like all others, but the council deemed him dark.
The force isn't evil, nor good. What we call light and dark is defined by a select few and is forever accepted as fact.

Maybe the new "Dawn of the Jedi" comics will give us more info about why some choose to be more dark?

DAWUSS
12.19.2013 , 08:56 PM | #30
The thing should be emphasized a bit more in SW is Dark Side =/= Evil and Light Side =/= Good.