Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

psandak's Avatar


psandak
12.19.2013 , 03:46 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Don't the Jedi brandish that power to fight back the Sith?
When I say brandish I mean wearing it like a golden robe for all to see, "see me I'm more powerful than you." /strut

Against enemies, Jedi Knights and Masters invariably try talking first. Padawans and those tempted by the Dark Side sometimes strike first and ask questions later, but they are the exception.

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
12.19.2013 , 04:25 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
When I say brandish I mean wearing it like a golden robe for all to see, "see me I'm more powerful than you." /strut

Against enemies, Jedi Knights and Masters invariably try talking first. Padawans and those tempted by the Dark Side sometimes strike first and ask questions later, but they are the exception.
That's just tactics. I'm talking more about ideology, the reason why they join dark side if it isn't more powerful.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
12.19.2013 , 04:35 PM | #13
It comes down to a more personal choice.

Dark Side seems to be easier and quicker for a lot of people and they are looking for a fast way to become powerful. Some people also are more prone to anger and jealousy (and that can be in regards to anything) and so it is easier for them to go darkside.

Light side is a more difficult choice to make. You have to be aware of your emotions and try to remain in control and look at all angles of the situation. This is not easy for most people. This has to be a conscious choice in facing decisions.

I believe the reason some chose dark side over the light side, not that is is more powerful, just that is is quicker and faster for them. They don't have to look at what they are doing, they just react in any given situation.

People confuse light side in being weak but in truth it is not. To me it takes more strength of character to look at a situation and see what you should do instead of just reacting in the moment. Is it easy to do? No, it is very difficult for a lot of people.

At least that is my opinion.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
12.19.2013 , 04:53 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
It comes down to a more personal choice.

Dark Side seems to be easier and quicker for a lot of people and they are looking for a fast way to become powerful. Some people also are more prone to anger and jealousy (and that can be in regards to anything) and so it is easier for them to go darkside.

Light side is a more difficult choice to make. You have to be aware of your emotions and try to remain in control and look at all angles of the situation. This is not easy for most people. This has to be a conscious choice in facing decisions.

I believe the reason some chose dark side over the light side, not that is is more powerful, just that is is quicker and faster for them. They don't have to look at what they are doing, they just react in any given situation.

People confuse light side in being weak but in truth it is not. To me it takes more strength of character to look at a situation and see what you should do instead of just reacting in the moment. Is it easy to do? No, it is very difficult for a lot of people.

At least that is my opinion.
Extremely good points. But the thing is, self-discipline is not the same as power. When I say power, I mean as in raw Force power. It just takes more self-control to stay Light Side. But am not talking about self-control, but outer, physical strength.

But joining Dark Side to get power "quicker" as in trimming a couple years off training? Doesn't make sense. There's more to the Dark Side ideology for that. Jedi get power fast as well, since they can fight as Padawans even as a small child.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
12.19.2013 , 05:11 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Extremely good points. But the thing is, self-discipline is not the same as power. When I say power, I mean as in raw Force power. It just takes more self-control to stay Light Side. But am not talking about self-control, but outer, physical strength.

But joining Dark Side to get power "quicker" as in trimming a couple years off training? Doesn't make sense. There's more to the Dark Side ideology for that. Jedi get power fast as well, since they can fight as Padawans even as a small child.
You saying physical strength.

Some people will always have more physical strength than someone else.

How does that relay to force powers? Do you truly believe that is someone has more physical strength they are more powerful? The force powers do not rely on physical strength.

Each force user could have different force abilities. Such as Bastilla Shan . She had a rare ability battle meditation.
If you are looking at force powers based on physical strength you may want to look at a definition of force powers:

Force powers were the manifestations of a Jedi, Sith, or other Force-adept's connection with the Force. These powers were supernatural abilities not described by scientists. The powers were usually taught by Force-using organizations, but there were examples of individual, self-improving methods of learning to use the Force. There were many kinds of Force powers, but not all were available to a single person, since some of them required a deep connection with one side of the Force and others were secret or very rare. Also, as a side note, it should be taken into account that the Force is not "magic," nor does it have specific "spells" or "powers," and they are far more interrelated than the list might suggest.



http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_power
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
12.19.2013 , 05:21 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
You saying physical strength.

Some people will always have more physical strength than someone else.

How does that relay to force powers? Do you truly believe that is someone has more physical strength they are more powerful? The force powers do not rely on physical strength.

Each force user could have different force abilities. Such as Bastilla Shan . She had a rare ability battle meditation.
If you are looking at force powers based on physical strength you may want to look at a definition of force powers:

Force powers were the manifestations of a Jedi, Sith, or other Force-adept's connection with the Force. These powers were supernatural abilities not described by scientists. The powers were usually taught by Force-using organizations, but there were examples of individual, self-improving methods of learning to use the Force. There were many kinds of Force powers, but not all were available to a single person, since some of them required a deep connection with one side of the Force and others were secret or very rare. Also, as a side note, it should be taken into account that the Force is not "magic," nor does it have specific "spells" or "powers," and they are far more interrelated than the list might suggest.



http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_power
Sorry that wasn't what I meant. Not physical strength, not mental strength, but Force strength. AKA midi-chlorian count.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

YoshiRaphElan's Avatar


YoshiRaphElan
12.19.2013 , 05:29 PM | #17
"Quicker, easier, more seductive."

The Jedi give you just as much power, but they require you to work harder.

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
12.19.2013 , 05:35 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by YoshiRaphElan View Post
"Quicker, easier, more seductive."

The Jedi give you just as much power, but they require you to work harder.
Jedi get power very fast as well. They can fight as children.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

AydenStorm's Avatar


AydenStorm
12.19.2013 , 05:43 PM | #19
Sith revel in their strength. There power in the Force is what makes them great, more superior to those around them. Their Force ability, and their will allows them to dominate and control those who are "lesser" than them. it is not so much that they are more powerful, it is just that they are taught to use that power to get what they want.

Jedi consider their abilities more of a responsibility to others, rather than themselves. They are servants to the Force, while a Sith will tell you they are Masters of it.

Sith-Viscera's Avatar


Sith-Viscera
12.19.2013 , 05:46 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...
They say in this game there isn't one side more powerful then the other, because its a game it HAS to be equal. In the Movies it is truly unknown if light and dark are as equally as powerful, it is up in the air? The Fastest way to Power would be to allow the shroud of darkness consume you, and let your hate and desire and passions, fuel you with out guilt, those things will propel you towards the darkside faster then the jedi teachings, teachings that makes you cap your emotions. True the Sith has teachings too, but you can make those teachings go smoother and faster, if your already EMBALMED, with the DARKSIDE......