Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

K_osss
12.17.2013 , 10:42 AM | #11
Thank you for putting this together Randle! I can vouch for it's accuracy as I have a advanced might hilt 30 with 61 mod/enhancement main and off hands that bolster to better than my Obroan. It annoys me that PvP gear is sub par in PvP and that I have to use PvE gear to BIS. I think 63's bolster even better than what I've got. bioware needs to address Bolster.

Technohic
12.17.2013 , 10:45 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
No I haven't fully augmented my gear yet...just my saber...do you think that is the problem? If I augment all my gear I could have around 30k health? But say I were to do that...is there even a point of getting obroan then?
Since its in the guide, I will just quote it

Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post

Augments/Stims are the greatest delta in stats for endgame PvP. As I stated earlier, Augments are not included in bolster calculations. You can use MK-9 Augment kits at level 1, and you can buy endgame Augments to fill them at level 1. While you can't put the Augments into your gear until level 55, having them ready upon hitting 55 is key. With the above info, and endgame Augments, you can/will be MORE than on par with BiS Obroan players in some cases. When I hit 55 on my Sniper, I had 30K HP, full EXP and 750 bonus damage. That is on par with my base build, with mostly Obroan stuff, on my Mara. Plan accordingly.

And as far as needing to bother with gear; it depends on what you want to do. If you want to do some open world PvP, you will need the latest PvP gear. if not, well; you might look at how to min/max your gear but you probably won't worry about that unless you are going to be very competetive.

EDIT: Another note to add in even if redundant. NEVER augment any shells you will eventually trade if for future gear. This includes the current top PvP gear. Augment adaptive armor and then put your mods into it. Save yourself some coin later.
Quote: Originally Posted by proverbs 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him.

TonyDragonflame
12.17.2013 , 10:57 AM | #13
sounds like captain obvious, but pvp bads dont read forum
May the Force be with you!
Guardian vr 100 | Sentinel vr 93 | Scoundrel vr 91 | Vanguard vr 90 | Shadow v 85 | Guns v 75
Manhunter 140+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN

Oakie
12.17.2013 , 11:05 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Since its in the guide, I will just quote it

And as far as needing to bother with gear; it depends on what you want to do. If you want to do some open world PvP, you will need the latest PvP gear. if not, well; you might look at how to min/max your gear but you probably won't worry about that unless you are going to be very competetive.

EDIT: Another note to add in even if redundant. NEVER augment any shells you will eventually trade if for future gear. This includes the current top PvP gear. Augment adaptive armor and then put your mods into it. Save yourself some coin later.
Well I'm trying to get good enough gear to do competitive ranked. So I guess I have to Augment each one of my pieces and then get the pve purples. Good lord min/maxing is expensive

AMulls
12.17.2013 , 11:21 AM | #15
I think I've got the crux of what you're saying, but I have a couple questions.

You note the purple 66s reach the DR for bolster and recommend the purple 61s and 63s. Did you do any testing with blue 66s? It's been awhile since I've looked, it may be that the purple 63s are better than the blue 66s, I just can't remember.

I have blue 66s all the way across in my PVP gear, except for the pieces I've now upgraded to Conq/Obroan for the set bonus on my Mara. My expertise last time I looked was still bolstered up to 2017.

One of the first things I upgraded was to an Obroan relic (can't remember the name, but it was the recommended one for Maras). And I'm using the matrix cube in the other slot for now. Any data on how the matrix cube is bolstered vs. the a second Conq or Obroan relic?

And I got slightly confused with the implant section. Are you saying that crafted implants are still BiS? Or that they are better than Conq but not Obroan?

Thanks for all your work on this!

funkiestj
12.17.2013 , 11:50 AM | #16
RE: swap items in a bolstered environment

The gree area of ilum (whether or not the event is on) gives bolster. Go here to do your gear swapping experiments.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Ottoattack
12.17.2013 , 02:18 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by AMulls View Post
I think I've got the crux of what you're saying, but I have a couple questions.

You note the purple 66s reach the DR for bolster and recommend the purple 61s and 63s. Did you do any testing with blue 66s? It's been awhile since I've looked, it may be that the purple 63s are better than the blue 66s, I just can't remember.

I have blue 66s all the way across in my PVP gear, except for the pieces I've now upgraded to Conq/Obroan for the set bonus on my Mara. My expertise last time I looked was still bolstered up to 2017.

One of the first things I upgraded was to an Obroan relic (can't remember the name, but it was the recommended one for Maras). And I'm using the matrix cube in the other slot for now. Any data on how the matrix cube is bolstered vs. the a second Conq or Obroan relic?

And I got slightly confused with the implant section. Are you saying that crafted implants are still BiS? Or that they are better than Conq but not Obroan?

Thanks for all your work on this!
lvl 66 blues are 148 rating and are below lvl 63 purps which are 150 rating, and they do get fully bolstered.

Dps BiS relics are spenditious assault (power proc) and focused retribution (main stats proc). Just to give you an idea, spenditious assault gives 187.5 power (625*6/20) and focused retribution provides minimum 196.875 main stats with inquisitor buff (625*1.05*6/20). Matrix cube is no where close. Even conquer provides better stats than matrix cube.

RyderQuanTy
12.17.2013 , 04:31 PM | #18
this is actual great to know I have an alt that will be hitting 55 soon and its good to know that I don't need to grind for months to participate in solo ranked arenas
" The force is only for defence. There is no why"

Dacce
12.17.2013 , 05:22 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by RyderQuanTy View Post
this is actual great to know I have an alt that will be hitting 55 soon and its good to know that I don't need to grind for months to participate in solo ranked arenas
I started trading PVP weapons (the 900 comm blue ones) at level 30. when I hit 55, I had enough weapons to get full obroan fully min maxed with a bit left over. That was 63 weapons.
Visage - Dace - Fat'Clam - Fistula - Shimini - Malikada

jboehm
12.17.2013 , 06:16 PM | #20
It's absolutely absurd that someone can be fully min/maxed in the highest tier of pvp gear and not be BiS for PvP. But given that Bioware continues to insist on using their deeply flawed bolster system in rated pvp, players have a right to know how to properly utilize that system if they truly care about being BiS for top-tier pvp.

This is a good guide; that said, I would recommend you take another look at 2 sections of your guide and consider editing the original post to be more accurate.

Obroan is BiS for PvP on non-weapon, modifiable pieces.
The answer to whether Obroan is BiS for non-weapon, modifiable pieces depends on your class. If your spec in your class needs the pvp set bonus tied to the Obroan gear, then yes, "Obroan is BiS for PvP on non-weapon, modifiable pieces." However, if your spec in your class either doesn't need the pvp set bonus or needs a pve set bonus, then you should not be wearing Obroan.

(For example, Bioware in their infinite wisdom removed the 15% boost to Kolto Cloud from the pvp set bonus in 2.0 so now it's only found as a pve set bonus. Therefore, it is preferable for healer scoundrels to be running a 2 piece pve set bonus for pvp.)

If you don't need the pvp set bonus, then Obroan is not BiS for non-weapon, modifiable pieces. Instead, you should be running a 69, 63, 61 combination, same as your mainhand/offhand. I suspect the reason you chose to show setups with straight 58's and straight 61's is that you don't have the necessary 69 and 63 pieces, but it's probably a good idea to make clear in your guide that a 69, 63, 61 setup is BiS for mainhand/offhand/armor (if you don't need the pvp set bonus).

Obroan is BiS for PvP on non-weapon, non-modifiable pieces.
Once again, the answer to whether Obroan is BiS for PvP on non-weapon, non-modifiable pieces depends on your class. What we're really talking about here are the "Experimental" level 54 crafted implants. And again, the genius of Bioware comes into play.

(The "Experimental" implants each exist with different secondary/tertiary stat combinations depending on whether it's an aim, cunning, strength, or willpower piece. In order for the implant to be BiS over Obroan, it must have a ton of power on it. It will only have a sufficient amount of power if a green version exists with power as the original secondary stat so that it can be possible to reverse engineer it to a purple where the only secondary stat is a massive amount of power, rather than having to split the secondary stat allotment between power and crit.)

An "Experimental" implant with power as the only secondary stat does not exist for cunning and strength, but does exist for aim and it might for willpower though I'm not positive. This means that if you're a class that uses aim (possibly willpower), the "Expert Experimental" implant will be BiS over Obroan.

Bolster has no place in ranked pvp, but if Bioware insists on keeping its broken system in place, pvp'ers need to know how it works and how to deal with it since pvp gear is not BiS for pvp.
Tayren