Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Event currency

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jerba
12.17.2013 , 10:33 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
And they didn't want you to be able to do that with this event, apparently. Mystery solved.
Exactly. For previous events, you could easily farm more than one hundred of the event currency, which quickly led to a deflation of the value.
For the Chevin event, they tried to increase the value again by adding in the red Sparkle Powder as a money drain, but since most people couldn't care less about social items, they were not in high demand.

The Gree event ensures that you can only get 14+7 gray helices per character per week. That way, people with more characters or more time do not have an advantage over casual players.

EricMusco
12.17.2013 , 10:40 AM | #12 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks!

The answer to your question may not be what you are expecting, it is actually technical limitation which is causing the Gree currency to be character bound. Within our current system we had a few options:
  • The items are character bound and stackable (the way it works currently)
  • The items are non-stackable and bound to Legacy. (we did not choose this option to avoid a cargo bay somewhere full of currency)
  • The items are fully tradeable (these are meant to be earned, at least for now)
Those were our options from a tech standpoint and our justification for the decision we made. Hope that makes sense!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Warrgames
12.17.2013 , 10:41 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerba View Post
Exactly. For previous events, you could easily farm more than one hundred of the event currency, which quickly led to a deflation of the value.
For the Chevin event, they tried to increase the value again by adding in the red Sparkle Powder as a money drain, but since most people couldn't care less about social items, they were not in high demand.

The Gree event ensures that you can only get 14+7 gray helices per character per week. That way, people with more characters or more time do not have an advantage over casual players.
Previous events? You do realize that Gree event is the 1st recurring event they did. Bounty Weekly and Life Day came after the Gree Event was placed in the game. Both you can buy event currency. The Gree Event is over year old.

Glower
12.17.2013 , 10:54 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks![*]The items are non-stackable and bound to Legacy. (we did not choose this option to avoid a cargo bay somewhere full of currency)
What? Really? Oh... Thank you very much...
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "Theyd love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Rileysoph
12.17.2013 , 11:08 AM | #15
Hey folks!

The answer to your question may not be what you are expecting, it is actually technical limitation which is causing the Gree currency to be character bound. Within our current system we had a few options:
  • The items are non-stackable and bound to Legacy. (we did not choose this option to avoid a cargo bay somewhere full of currency)
  • The items are fully tradeable (these are meant to be earned, at least for now)
Those were our options from a tech standpoint and our justification for the decision we made. Hope that makes sense!

-eric
So how come you have a technical limitation with the Gree currency but not the bounty contract currency? What is the technical limitation, if you know?

DimmuJanKaarl
12.17.2013 , 11:08 AM | #16
Hey folks!

-eric
why would BtL not be stackable?? how is that not a design option? in a way, reputation trophies are legacy because they add up in reputation total.

so is this the new paradigm? make it so content is only worth running on one toon? this is exactly what happens with GSF: there is little benefit in running on alts. when and why did devs decide that they don't like people using their legacy for what is a central aspect: you use the in your legacy to benefit the legacy as a whole and to benefit single characters by running content with the rest of them.

I would be more prone to accepting this non-BtL currency if it weren't that the event was limited time, which is frustrating at best. at least with BBA i can pass my completed contracts to asks to run kingpins and I can buy rep items based solely on rep level that I still had to put the work into to increase and dull feel like I've gotten something done before the event goes away. total BS imo to design around a subset of players who are clearing content "too quickly."

I mean come on! i agree when what others have said: it really seems devs are starting to drag stuff out just so they can avoid less frequent new content.
**Von-Gorgoroth Legacy** [[Jedi Covenant]] LIVING LEGEND ||MASTER CRAFTSMAN|| //Founder// ::
Dimmu'jan-kaarl 55 Sentinel Jezethra 55 Gunslinger Gel'amina 55 Sage Lytherila 55 Vanguard
Melitina 55 Sniper Karintha 55 Sorcerer ma 55 Powertech

Warrgames
12.17.2013 , 11:10 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Rileysoph View Post
So how come you have a technical limitation with the Gree currency but not the bounty contract currency? What is the technical limitation, if you know?
Thank you for showing the full quote the other guy tried to use.
Kind of funny that there is a technical limitation on this event currency only. Maybe the technical limitation is called laziness?

ninjonxb
12.17.2013 , 11:16 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Warrgames View Post
Thank you for showing the full quote the other guy tried to use.
Kind of funny that there is a technical limitation on this event currency only. Maybe the technical limitation is called laziness?
Uh... No.
It means that Bioware Originally designed the Items in a certain way and most likely the time needed to add this case is more work and there is not a good business case to add it.
Free goodies (referral link)
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

Bstr
12.17.2013 , 11:19 AM | #19
Says so exactly in that message:

Within our current system we had a few options:
The BBA tokens are fully tradeable between players. They wanted the Gree tokens to not be traded between players.

Read the whole quote before posting please next time. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm not the only one who thought you need to read the entire post. (See below post.)
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Jr An'val: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: Bodyguard Merc. Bophia: Anni. Maurader Borbend: Med. Op.
<Republic's Hammer> <Reformation> Jung-Ma Server

Icebergy
12.17.2013 , 11:19 AM | #20
Reread his post, the answer is there.
This signature is a slap in the face!
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 3/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant