Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


Loc_n_lol's Avatar


Loc_n_lol
12.17.2013 , 02:16 AM | #1531
Quote: Originally Posted by JourrnoRush View Post
However, do dps really think they can tank?
You know the joke : sentinels can be amazing tanks... for 4 seconds.

slafko's Avatar


slafko
12.17.2013 , 07:32 AM | #1532
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Sometimes we tanks lack confidence in our healers, not in ourselves. Just sayin'.
While there's merit in your words, I'm a proponent of a different school of thought: No one's going to get any better unless pushed to the limit. Therefore I rarely slow down and wait for the healer. If I see him slackin', I pop my defensive cooldowns and continue to kill stuff.

But, most importantly, what I meant by "slowpoke tanks" was in no way the fault of healers or damage dealers. It was the tanks' fault beyond a shadow of a doubt. I mean, you have a Vanguard tank waiting for Mortar Volley to become available instead of using Harpoon and Strom on the champion mob. Then you have that tank repeat his Mortar Volley opener for the fourth time on the same type of mobs. Mobs that jump onto him when aggroed, making his lousy opener even worse.

Then you have tanks that regen for 10 seconds before every single pull even though everyone is at 100%. Some even go so far as typing "r?" in party chat. Those tanks will almost always guard the healer because "that's what's it for" and "DO U EVEN TANK BRAH".

I can understand a more cautios approach to tanking if the team isn't geared or if you're new to the class, but... If you're a lvl 55 geared in 72+ with the rest of the team geared similarly or even better - there's just no excuse for derping around. *** on your own time, not when you're tanking for three other persons.

Slow tanks get me worked up. ARGH

slafko's Avatar


slafko
12.17.2013 , 07:33 AM | #1533
Quote: Originally Posted by Loc_n_lol View Post
You know the joke : sentinels can be amazing tanks... for 4 seconds.
Those are the ones that never learned how to use Rebuke.

Jeweledleah's Avatar


Jeweledleah
12.17.2013 , 07:52 AM | #1534
the concept of "I just want to get it over with" in a video game - that is supposed to be something you do for fun has been confounding me for years now. I honestly don't get it.

and while I can keep up with breakneck runs especially when healing, I seriously dislike those and expectation of breakneck runs is part of the reason I haven't tanked a pug in a long long time. every time I consider it, I remember how unfun and stressful it is... and don't queue.

becasue something to consider is that you know those 3 people that you are assuming want to "get it over with" might not necessarily be those people, and maybe, just maybe you are imposing your mentality on people who do not share it, make it the run less fun for them in your egotistical rush, but they can't say anything becasue there's not time to type and tanks are so rare already, kicking one is arely an option unless they are beyond terrible and/or disconnected/afk forever.

Lord_Submarine's Avatar


Lord_Submarine
12.17.2013 , 08:53 AM | #1535
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
the concept of "I just want to get it over with" in a video game - that is supposed to be something you do for fun has been confounding me for years now. I honestly don't get it.

and while I can keep up with breakneck runs especially when healing, I seriously dislike those and expectation of breakneck runs is part of the reason I haven't tanked a pug in a long long time. every time I consider it, I remember how unfun and stressful it is... and don't queue.

becasue something to consider is that you know those 3 people that you are assuming want to "get it over with" might not necessarily be those people, and maybe, just maybe you are imposing your mentality on people who do not share it, make it the run less fun for them in your egotistical rush, but they can't say anything becasue there's not time to type and tanks are so rare already, kicking one is arely an option unless they are beyond terrible and/or disconnected/afk forever.
Exactly. So exactly my words.

Guys, I do understand that you have run the flashpoints 100 times. But we are talking here about SM flashpoint and you need to take into account there are newer players as well. Tanking with a rushing group in a flashpoint you have played only 2-3 times until now is not fun. I really prefer playing with relaxed people who take things fast and skip some mobs as well on one hand, but on the other hand do not make it stressful.

And the argument that "we are all geared up anyway"... Are we? In every flashpoint I have been playing, there was a guy who was totally overgeared and had 20% more HP than the tank. Interestingly, this was the "let's get this over with" guy who wanted to skip all the bonus bosses, probably thinking "we are all geared up anyway" without even asking and guess what? Mostly, no one even says anything, as on one hand, you struggle to keep up with the "rush guy" without pulling any mobs he somehow skipped, and on the other hand, with someone like that in the group, you get this attitude "oh, this really is no fun, let's get this over with" on your own, because you came to get some nice gear and are facing the decision of either a conflict in a group or half of the cool drops in the flashpoint.

If you want to rush a flashpoint like crazy for a new record to get over with it fast, be sure that other people are ok with it as well.

Radka's Avatar


Radka
12.17.2013 , 10:42 AM | #1536
Quote: Originally Posted by Loc_n_lol View Post
You know the joke : sentinels can be amazing tanks... for 4 seconds.
just like gunslingers :P anyway...

two days ago I was in annoying Eseless HM, this scoundrel dps pulled everything he could >_< even that droid in front of that big hole before the end, I didnt understand why, so I asked them in group chat why? no answer, omg...everyone skips that droid even on sm, but this group, this guy. omg...I felt my blood preasure rising
Ventrasi, sniper ... The Judges
Merris, guardian ... Spark of Insanity
Red Eclipse

Sorei's Avatar


Sorei
12.17.2013 , 11:08 AM | #1537
Quote: Originally Posted by Radka View Post
just like gunslingers :P anyway...

two days ago I was in annoying Eseless HM, this scoundrel dps pulled everything he could >_< even that droid in front of that big hole before the end, I didnt understand why, so I asked them in group chat why? no answer, omg...everyone skips that droid even on sm, but this group, this guy. omg...I felt my blood preasure rising
Well, I for one, don't skip the droid (in sm), I want to scavage it.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
12.17.2013 , 11:29 AM | #1538
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorei View Post
Well, I for one, don't skip the droid (in sm), I want to scavage it.
Isn't it rude to waste peoples' time like this? Go scavenge in the world, solo.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Sorei's Avatar


Sorei
12.17.2013 , 11:34 AM | #1539
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Isn't it rude to waste peoples' time like this? Go scavenge in the world, solo.
I never group for Esseless, I solo the FP. Besides, not everybody wants to avoid everything. Isn't it rude to force your playstyle on others?
I commented on him saying "everyone" does that. This is not true.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
12.17.2013 , 11:46 AM | #1540
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorei View Post
I never group for Esseless, I solo the FP. Besides, not everybody wants to avoid everything. Isn't it rude to force your playstyle on others?
I commented on him saying "everyone" does that. This is not true.
I didn't see you mention that you solo'd it.

Is it rude to force your playstyle on others? Aren't you doing the same (if you did it in a group) by going out of the way to kill something just so you can scavenge it?

Isn't that the definition of forcing your playstyle on others? When others are around and you go off the typical path / norm to do something and they can't do anything about it?

Isn't it not forcing your playstyle on others if you go do that thing when others aren't in a group with you and therefore nobody is forced to at a minimum wait until you're done doing whatever it is you want to do that they don't?

Persecution complex much? You from the southern US by any chance?
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer