Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic star fighter.. My review opinion and observations of it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Galactic star fighter.. My review opinion and observations of it.

Klishar
12.16.2013 , 02:35 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin_Kelvar View Post
You know this is early access and not the full release of GSF right? Most of the content is being saved/polished for the full release in February.
Oh, so more polishing is going to come out soon? Good, GSF needs it. And not just new maps either, though new maps & play types are a must-have for a space combat module.

My biggest peeve is the controls which were implemented. As I said earlier, I would've prefered it if the ship would only turn when you actually moved the mouse. And I would not have to move the mouse back to the center of the screen in order to get the ship to stop turning. And I know that practice would probably help, but the controls just drive me so crazy I ragequit the tutorial before I've even lasted a few minutes.

Which of course brings me to the real point of this post: as it turns out, one size doesn't fit all. To really make GSF a huge success, Bioware should allow for a wider variety of control options. Reason why is because everyone has their personal preference; some like joysticks, some like the current mouse controls, others would like to use an xbox or ps3 controller to fly their ships.

(Btw, could someone post how you're able to link an xbox controller or a ps3 controller to your computer? Or at least provide a link that shows how it can be done? I didn't know you could do that.)

My advice to Bioware is to put priority into providing support software for joysticks, gamer pads, etc and to give the option to change the mouse controls to what I listed above. Reason why is because if you're trying to appeal to a wide audience, you've got to make an effort to cover the entire audience. You can't just say "One size fits all" and expect that to work out; there are always going to be those who don't like that style.

And honestly, you don't have to release support software into the general game. Just put software packs on the website which people can download so that they can decide what they want to use in GSF. Like if someone wants to use a joystick, they can download a software pack that allows for joystick use.

And besides, I ran into a thread a while back (can't find it now) in which a guy posted that when he told his friends that swtor was coming out with an open-world space pvp combat module that didn't support joysticks, their response was "Heh, good luck with that." So, at some point in the near future, release some support software that allows for different controllers to be used, just so no one feels left out. When you were introducing GSF, you guys said that you did not want to create a caste of haves and have nots. Well as it is, there are those who are okay or even like the current setup (the haves), and then there are those who are not fans of it (the have nots). And I'm sure I speak for every other have not out there when I say that we don't like being trolled by the haves. (I actually considered ragequiting swtor after getting trolled extensively on the first day of GSF.)

Turajin
12.16.2013 , 03:00 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
The problem is that they haven't figured out how to get the AI to move properly, so we can't have PvE, and because we can't have PvE, we can't have a tutorial with ships that move around and fire back at us.

The AI tech apparently isn't available right now. One of the devs blatantly admitted as much when they said GSF was PvP only. Frankly, without the AI to fly the fighters, they did the best tutorial they could.
Someone mentioned the WIng Commander and X-Wing series to have good AI. I played and enyoued them both, and yes, AI was, as far as I remember, quite good - at least good enough. Those games are from the 90's. How the hell can it be that they figured out a good AI twenty years ago, and today they are unable to do that?

MalakaiCaine
12.16.2013 , 07:11 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Turajin View Post
Someone mentioned the WIng Commander and X-Wing series to have good AI. I played and enyoued them both, and yes, AI was, as far as I remember, quite good - at least good enough. Those games are from the 90's. How the hell can it be that they figured out a good AI twenty years ago, and today they are unable to do that?
hell, freelancer had good enough ai, etc. elite, freespace, there's a whole SLEW of space games with decent AI.

Turajin
12.16.2013 , 08:19 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by MalakaiCaine View Post
hell, freelancer had good enough ai, etc. elite, freespace, there's a whole SLEW of space games with decent AI.
Then why is it that the developers of GSF couldn't come up with a good AI for their game so they could include an PvE-Environment?