Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's the best way to get out of the circling pattern when dog-fighting?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
What's the best way to get out of the circling pattern when dog-fighting?

willfarlow
12.14.2013 , 12:15 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by lordofdamornin View Post
If you find yourself in this situation often, then your title isn't the question you should be asking, because you should rarely, if ever, be doing this.

Regardless of what ship you are flying, you should be trying to engage targets of opportunity - in other words, someone who isn't aware of you, or is otherwise occupied. As an above poster said, you can be everyone's wingman, especially if you are queued solo, and therefore, cannot rely on anyone else to be yours.

This may not score you lots of medals or kills, but you are likely to survive a lot longer, and you will learn to watch the battle as a whole, and choose where and how to make the most impact for your team. Don't worry, there will always be people who engage in circle...parties...leaving you with plenty of targets of opportunity.

It always amazed me how many people did this dance in SWG, and thought that PYR > Speed...it wasn't there, and isn't here either.

I'm not throwing stones at you, OP, or anyone else - my answer to your question is to engage in these dogfights as little as possible, if at all.

Rit
^^ I agree.
I mostly queue solo, and I find myself essentially being an "opportunist"...either cruising up to a satellite watching for the cover to get pulled off and then smacking turrets, or going high over a battle and looking for stragglers and players focused on their own kill.
I also hunt gunships, but that's 'cause I HATE 'em.
And not just 'cause they kill me all the freakin' time.
Really, it isn't just that.
Well, okay, it's MOSTLY that.

AlrikFassbauer
12.15.2013 , 06:25 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by MalakaiCaine View Post
Combat Air manouvres

since star wars starfighter combat is wwII>korea>vietnam era prop>jet dogfighting
Thanks. English isn't my first language, meaning that some of the abbreviations circling here ( pun intended ) are unknown to me.

MalakaiCaine
12.15.2013 , 03:59 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by ToMyMa View Post
Yeah, sure, when the scout has the advantage in close combat, it should be able to be beaten by equally good pilots?

No. If you have two equally good pilots, one in a striker, the other in a scout, and have them do the 'circle of doom', the scout will come out victorious most of the times. It wouldn't be balanced if the striker could beat the scout at it's field of expertise (all of this is based on the pilots being equally in skill and having the *same* upgrades).
circle of doom is expressly NOT a CAM.

it's a refusal by two idiots to use any form of cam at all.

ToMyMa
12.15.2013 , 04:03 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by MalakaiCaine View Post
circle of doom is expressly NOT a CAM.

it's a refusal by two idiots to use any form of cam at all.
Or, it's the highest form of meta game...
Tanvir
Tier 1 commando Season 1 through 4
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

archifikoss
12.15.2013 , 04:35 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
Honestly the accuracy needs to be fixed. I've been at near point blank range with an enemy gunship (me flying a scout), and NONE of my laser shots will hit, even though I can see them flying right through the other guy's ship.

The entire RNG system should be removed from GSF as far as I'm concerned. If my crosshairs are in the aiming lead reticule, my shots should be hitting. Evasion stats should all be changed to either reduce enemy accuracy (the accuracy of the lead reticule, so they have to adjust manually in order to hit) or an increase in manuverability and speed in order to add more pilot skill to the equation.

I dont like RNG frakking up what should be perfect dead-on blasts to an enemy craft.
I agree with this. It is very frustrating to see a well-lined up shot wasted because of RNG.

GalacticKegger
12.16.2013 , 01:20 AM | #46
"X" or "S" to slam on the brakes while barrel rolling through a 180 negative G or positive G (atmospheric) dive - dependent on what's around you. If they're at range then you'll square up to them head on. If they are at close range then you'll pass them going in opposite directions. If they can stay on your 6 and shoot you down after that then they deserve the kill.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu