Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

Wintermist's Avatar


Wintermist
12.15.2013 , 03:49 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
All I said was find a better example of a successful sandbox game because EVE is a horrible game.
It doesn't get much more Sandbox than EVE. It's a perfect example of a sandbox game. I also dared you to give a better example of a sandbox game but you simply didn't.

It doesn't matter if you find EVE to be a horrible game or not. EVE is what it is. Every game is what it is. It's not up to you to judge for everyone how good or bad it is. Don't you understand that?
Hand Disinfection.

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
12.15.2013 , 04:01 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Wintermist View Post
It doesn't get much more Sandbox than EVE. It's a perfect example of a sandbox game. I also dared you to give a better example of a sandbox game but you simply didn't.

It doesn't matter if you find EVE to be a horrible game or not. EVE is what it is. Every game is what it is. It's not up to you to judge for everyone how good or bad it is. Don't you understand that?
It's not my job to find a better example for you. If you want to stick with EVE as your example of what we should think of when we think 'sandbox game', then okay...

By all means, go with that, I'm sure EVE's sterling reputation won't be a detriment or anything.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Sorwen's Avatar


Sorwen
12.15.2013 , 04:02 PM | #63
It is more developer impression than market desire. Everyone holds up WoW as the game. Ignoring the majority of millions of players that really want WoW are playing WoW and will continue to play WoW(until the severs close in the middle of play a la SWG). Add to that you have this subset of MMO players going from Beta to Beta (and yes I've met some of the same people in multiple games) that whine and cry about anything that doesn't fit that model.

Then you have the other side which is bringing over Asian MMOs. Nothing wrong with that, but they are tailor to quick in quick out and grinding. Sandbox doesn't really promote that as well as a game that you have an exact small area that has everything you need for grinding those 5/10/20 levels.

There are some sandbox games out there, but they are generally smaller because main stream publishers want less or nothing to do with them. They are too busy trying to fight over the same customers rather than picking up the millions of other MMO players out there that can't get what they want.
Forever and always forward.
Please save me from the shortsightedness of developers that think they are clever.
More family tree options
Yeah! I just made Legacy Level 8. (and I didn't even get a T-shirt)

Wintermist's Avatar


Wintermist
12.15.2013 , 04:07 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
It's not my job to find a better example for you. If you want to stick with EVE as your example of what we should think of when we think 'sandbox game', then okay...

By all means, go with that, I'm sure EVE's sterling reputation won't be a detriment or anything.
Ah right, I guess you win this one then. We can take this as your final post and pretend I didn't respond to it so that you got the last word. That's fine with me. You're not even discussing.

The point of it being EVE is not because EVE is a good or a bad game, that's up to the player to decide. The point of using it as an example is because it's as sandbox as you can find. If it's deemed a good or a bad game has nothing to do with it. Any person capable of objective thought would see it as that, and not as a review of how the game is. It's about what type of game it is.

Personally I find it a rather good game, but then again, I do more complicated games as a rule of thumb. But this has nothing to do with it, liking the game or not.
Hand Disinfection.

RandomXChance's Avatar


RandomXChance
12.15.2013 , 04:12 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
It's not my job to find a better example for you. If you want to stick with EVE as your example of what we should think of when we think 'sandbox game', then okay...

By all means, go with that, I'm sure EVE's sterling reputation won't be a detriment or anything.
You make me laugh Infernixx. Sometimes I think you are dead on, and sometimes a fool . Love it or really hate it (there is not much in-between), EVE is an excellent example of sandbox.

Corporations (Guild) can set up starbases to control solar systems. Corporations bad together in Alliances to control sectors and Alliances started banding together in meta-game as Coalitions to control vast areas and fight the most powerful Alliances and later other Coalitions. 90% of the "gear" is player crafted in what is the most intense and expansive player driven economy in an MMO. The most famous events in the game were all player driven.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/28/ev...battle-asakai/

Foambreaker's Avatar


Foambreaker
12.15.2013 , 04:18 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
I don't need to stick my hand into a toaster for 15 minutes to get the full experience, thank you.
In other words you don't know what you are talking about because of how the skill timer works.

You cannot consume EVE in a week like other games even if you played 24x7. The fact is the skill Q would not produce enough skills in that time to experience even a fraction of the content.

You clearly are making up half or more of what you say.

DarthMaulUK's Avatar


DarthMaulUK
12.15.2013 , 05:44 PM | #67
I think players are ready for Sandbox. Games like SWG came a bit too early. A time when PCs were few and far between, the internet was just embracing broadband @512kbs(UK anyway!) and things have moved on lots.

However, publishers just aren't prepared to risk it so instead copy the WoW formula and after which, are left scratching their heads why everyone left after their 30 days.

It's simple. If someone has invested 5+ years in WoW and are wanting something different, they will try out a new MMO. However, they then discovered its just a reskin of WoW with a odd feature change, therefore doesnt warrant them investing time in to it.

Players are looking for something other than a cookie cutter MMO it just needs a publisher with big balls to deliver it. Developers and publishers will never learn with a themepark MMO. Content is king and you'll just burn yourself into the ground with endless reskinned raids/dungeons that wont keep players hooked long enough.
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
12.15.2013 , 06:20 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK View Post
I think players are ready for Sandbox. Games like SWG came a bit too early. A time when PCs were few and far between, the internet was just embracing broadband @512kbs(UK anyway!) and things have moved on lots.
I think players want "everything", the best of both worlds.
A world that is full of epic stories where their choices matter, while they can also fully interact with a gigantic virtual world.
Their very own Total Recall.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Wintermist's Avatar


Wintermist
12.15.2013 , 07:04 PM | #69
I think we have enough players now that if the game holds high quality regardless of genre, it will have players. And I do look forward to the Repopulation. I think that might be just what I've been waiting for.
Hand Disinfection.

MarvelZombie's Avatar


MarvelZombie
12.15.2013 , 08:11 PM | #70
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Everquest Next/Landmark. SOE-hate aside, it looks a solid AAA attempt at a true sandbox MMO. Check out the dev diaries...I gotta say, it looks like it has potential. And if it fails, we may not ever see another big budget sandbox MMO for a long, long time.