Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

Wraiven

The sandbox style seems to be growing more popular, not the other way around. The game itself requires a stable base but after that the game pretty much plays itself. Just look at EVE as an example, it just keeps going. The players are the game. Edited by Wintermist

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sandbox style seems to be growing more popular, not the other way around. The game itself requires a stable base but after that the game pretty much plays itself. Just look at EVE as an example, it just keeps going. The players are the game.

I don't care one way or the other, but using EVE as an example of what's good is a horrible horrible idea.

Eh, it was an example of a sandbox game. What are you, the negative troll of the forum?

One reviewer described EVE best as an MMO that made deep-space exploration into a boring mess of spreadsheets and that EVE players are to nerds what nerds are to normal people.

Find a better example.

One reviewer described EVE best as an MMO that made deep-space exploration into a boring mess of spreadsheets and that EVE players are to nerds what nerds are to normal people.

Find a better example.

What some people describe the game as has no meaning since it's an example of a sandbox game. Nothing more. It's probably the best example of a Sandbox game currently. And if they described the game like that, I don't really think that player is a player that enjoys that total freedom that EVE gives.

I don't play EVE anymore, but I'd describe it, as if it has any relevance at all to it being used as an example of sandbox game; A space game where you set your own limits.

If you don't get involved in the Player vs Player environment of the game, you really can't say you have played EVE to the full. And as a reviewer, unless you've played for a longer time, you can't really judge the game. It's a game that takes a long time to fully understand, to fully experience.

What better full sandbox game example can you give me?

Edited by Wintermist

Find a better example.

Weirdly when I saw a video of EVE I described it as looking like a spreadsheet piece of software , glad to see someone else thought so too because it does indeed look like one , yawn. I could never play such a game.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

If you're into space sims, Elite: Dangerous will be out in 2014 and will feature an online persistent universe, online private servers as well as offline play. Also Star Citizen (out in 20??) could be considered a sandbox, or at least it will feature a lot of sandbox elements and an open universe.

What some people describe the game as has no meaning since it's an example of a sandbox game. Nothing more. It's probably the best example of a Sandbox game currently. And if they described the game like that, I don't really think that player is a player that enjoys that total freedom that EVE gives.

I don't play EVE anymore, but I'd describe it, as if it has any relevance at all to it being used as an example of sandbox game; A space game where you set your own limits.

If you don't get involved in the Player vs Player environment of the game, you really can't say you have played EVE to the full. And as a reviewer, unless you've played for a longer time, you can't really judge the game. It's a game that takes a long time to fully understand, to fully experience.

What better full sandbox game example can you give me?

I don't need to stick my hand into a toaster for 15 minutes to get the full experience, thank you.

All I said was find a better example of a successful sandbox game because EVE is a horrible game.

It doesn't get much more Sandbox than EVE. It's a perfect example of a sandbox game. I also dared you to give a better example of a sandbox game but you simply didn't.

It doesn't matter if you find EVE to be a horrible game or not. EVE is what it is. Every game is what it is. It's not up to you to judge for everyone how good or bad it is. Don't you understand that?

It doesn't get much more Sandbox than EVE. It's a perfect example of a sandbox game. I also dared you to give a better example of a sandbox game but you simply didn't.

It doesn't matter if you find EVE to be a horrible game or not. EVE is what it is. Every game is what it is. It's not up to you to judge for everyone how good or bad it is. Don't you understand that?

It's not my job to find a better example for you. If you want to stick with EVE as your example of what we should think of when we think 'sandbox game', then okay...

By all means, go with that, I'm sure EVE's sterling reputation won't be a detriment or anything.

It is more developer impression than market desire. Everyone holds up WoW as the game. Ignoring the majority of millions of players that really want WoW are playing WoW and will continue to play WoW(until the severs close in the middle of play a la SWG). Add to that you have this subset of MMO players going from Beta to Beta (and yes I've met some of the same people in multiple games) that whine and cry about anything that doesn't fit that model.

Then you have the other side which is bringing over Asian MMOs. Nothing wrong with that, but they are tailor to quick in quick out and grinding. Sandbox doesn't really promote that as well as a game that you have an exact small area that has everything you need for grinding those 5/10/20 levels.

There are some sandbox games out there, but they are generally smaller because main stream publishers want less or nothing to do with them. They are too busy trying to fight over the same customers rather than picking up the millions of other MMO players out there that can't get what they want.

It's not my job to find a better example for you. If you want to stick with EVE as your example of what we should think of when we think 'sandbox game', then okay...

By all means, go with that, I'm sure EVE's sterling reputation won't be a detriment or anything.

Ah right, I guess you win this one then. We can take this as your final post and pretend I didn't respond to it so that you got the last word. That's fine with me. You're not even discussing.

The point of it being EVE is not because EVE is a good or a bad game, that's up to the player to decide. The point of using it as an example is because it's as sandbox as you can find. If it's deemed a good or a bad game has nothing to do with it. Any person capable of objective thought would see it as that, and not as a review of how the game is. It's about what type of game it is.

Personally I find it a rather good game, but then again, I do more complicated games as a rule of thumb. But this has nothing to do with it, liking the game or not.

You make me laugh Infernixx. Sometimes I think you are dead on, and sometimes a fool :). Love it or really hate it (there is not much in-between), EVE is an excellent example of sandbox.

Corporations (Guild) can set up starbases to control solar systems. Corporations bad together in Alliances to control sectors and Alliances started banding together in meta-game as Coalitions to control vast areas and fight the most powerful Alliances and later other Coalitions. 90% of the "gear" is player crafted in what is the most intense and expansive player driven economy in an MMO. The most famous events in the game were all player driven.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/28/eve-online-battle-asakai/

I don't need to stick my hand into a toaster for 15 minutes to get the full experience, thank you.

In other words you don't know what you are talking about because of how the skill timer works.

You cannot consume EVE in a week like other games even if you played 24x7. The fact is the skill Q would not produce enough skills in that time to experience even a fraction of the content.

You clearly are making up half or more of what you say.

I think players are ready for Sandbox. Games like SWG came a bit too early. A time when PCs were few and far between, the internet was just embracing broadband @512kbs(UK anyway!) and things have moved on lots.

However, publishers just aren't prepared to risk it so instead copy the WoW formula and after which, are left scratching their heads why everyone left after their 30 days.

It's simple. If someone has invested 5+ years in WoW and are wanting something different, they will try out a new MMO. However, they then discovered its just a reskin of WoW with a odd feature change, therefore doesnt warrant them investing time in to it.

Players are looking for something other than a cookie cutter MMO it just needs a publisher with big balls to deliver it. Developers and publishers will never learn with a themepark MMO. Content is king and you'll just burn yourself into the ground with endless reskinned raids/dungeons that wont keep players hooked long enough.

I think players are ready for Sandbox. Games like SWG came a bit too early. A time when PCs were few and far between, the internet was just embracing broadband @512kbs(UK anyway!) and things have moved on lots.

I think players want "everything", the best of both worlds.

A world that is full of epic stories where their choices matter, while they can also fully interact with a gigantic virtual world.

Their very own Total Recall. :p

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Everquest Next/Landmark. SOE-hate aside, it looks a solid AAA attempt at a true sandbox MMO. Check out the dev diaries...I gotta say, it looks like it has potential. And if it fails, we may not ever see another big budget sandbox MMO for a long, long time.

Find a better example.

What are normal people and who defines the ability to be normal ? I ask becouse i have friends who play consol games and they find my liking of MMO's to be abnormal, does liking MMO's make me abnormal ? Seems to me we live on a big world with alot of dissimilar views and the polling on what is and is not normal isn't in yet.

If i wanted to use SWTOR as an example of a Themepark MMO in a conversation should i not do that as several reviews i read after launch described it as a Single player game with multiplayer co-op, or becouse alot of people at launch didn't believe SWTOR was worth paying for ? I'd say no SWTOR is a valid example of a Themepark game, just as valid as AoC, WoW, or Rift.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Everquest Next/Landmark. SOE-hate aside, it looks a solid AAA attempt at a true sandbox MMO. Check out the dev diaries...I gotta say, it looks like it has potential. And if it fails, we may not ever see another big budget sandbox MMO for a long, long time.

if it fails? If?

lol

Find a better example.

Woah woah woah dude, one reviewer said so so suddenly it's not a valid example? How many reviewers have written **** about your beloved swtor? I mean come on, at least be fair here. Yea, it's pretty hardcore but no need to bash the game like that.

if it fails? If?

lol

See, now it's alright to insult other games but god forbid anyone says anything about swtor!

Edited by Blackholeskipper

EVE, EQN, EQNLandmark, Second Life, all sandboxes.

And really, if you take the time to search STO's player created missions and find the good ones, you'll find that's a sandbox too, albiet burried under piles of player generated farm-missions.

There'll always be sandbox games- but they'll always be what they've always been- an extreme niche.

Most people don't find putting dozens of hours of work into building something, only to log for the night and find it's been scrapped while you were sleeping- and with mmos that's what happens. Especially since the average player is casual these days and may never see the fruit of their labour.

It'll still be there as a niche though.