Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Enough with the skimpy gear already.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Enough with the skimpy gear already.

Tentou's Avatar


Tentou
12.15.2013 , 02:11 PM | #81
Nah it's cool bro I like my skimpy gear, but from now on, I want you to wear pink frills and a large purple hat. No exceptions. Put it on and like it. Why? Because I say so.
Shock - Casual

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.15.2013 , 02:17 PM | #82
I'm aware that it requires creating the armour and making sure it doesn't bug dramatically (though the current armours do - skin clips through the slave and dancer bottoms a lot, there are skin colour light bugs with the Relaxed Vestments, skirts clip through legs, all that sort of thing) and that doing so takes time, but I'm not saying that Bioware have to make an all-new range of 'one of a kind' haute-couture For Men range.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about my "high horse" or "judgements", you'll have to explain those to me.

I wasn't commenting on same-gender romances, but rather on the issue of having subservient and ostensibly sexualised armours as being 'female-only', when put into the wider context of the game and the position of women within it (and certainly the industry, if we want to include that), rather than being unrestricted armour. Other games have done unrestricted skimped/sexualised armour, admittedly those are usually from launch and part of the design ethos, rather than something brought in after the fact.

Whoo, humans play this game? Not all 'traditional views' are the same thing? Are we using traditional views as another word for heteronormative? I don't... I want to be sure we're using the same language here and can actually understand each other, because I think I'm misinterpreting everything you say. Because I'm really starting to get the vibe that I disgust you.

Sorwen's Avatar


Sorwen
12.15.2013 , 02:19 PM | #83
I just want armor that doesn't have lopsided and WoW shoulders. I still don't know why Inquisitors even need space ships.
Forever and always forward.
Please save me from the shortsightedness of developers that think they are clever.
More family tree options
Yeah! I just made Legacy Level 8. (and I didn't even get a T-shirt)

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
12.15.2013 , 02:29 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I'm aware that it requires creating the armour and making sure it doesn't bug dramatically (though the current armours do - skin clips through the slave and dancer bottoms a lot, there are skin colour light bugs with the Relaxed Vestments, skirts clip through legs, all that sort of thing) and that doing so takes time, but I'm not saying that Bioware have to make an all-new range of 'one of a kind' haute-couture For Men range.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about my "high horse" or "judgements", you'll have to explain those to me.

I wasn't commenting on same-gender romances, but rather on the issue of having subservient and ostensibly sexualised armours as being 'female-only', when put into the wider context of the game and the position of women within it (and certainly the industry, if we want to include that), rather than being unrestricted armour. Other games have done unrestricted skimped/sexualised armour, admittedly those are usually from launch and part of the design ethos, rather than something brought in after the fact.

Whoo, humans play this game? Not all 'traditional views' are the same thing? Are we using traditional views as another word for heteronormative? I don't... I want to be sure we're using the same language here and can actually understand each other, because I think I'm misinterpreting everything you say. Because I'm really starting to get the vibe that I disgust you.
Listen, misunderstandings happen a lot on forums, but your comments seemed more aggressive towards me than needed.

The trick is that the fact that you want something, doesn't make it simple. It's not just the programming but the reality that if a game goes too far in a certain directions there will be negative reactions. There are armours already that allow male characters to walk around bare chested and everything.

But you want dancer dresses for male characters apparently. This will make SWTOR the "drag queen" game in the eyes of the media and I think it may be a step too far for a number of players. It may be my misunderstanding but a man in a dress is something that is associated more with the gay community and therefore my link to same gender stuff. It's a larger issue if you will. Bioware have to consider the feelings and opinions of all player groups and some are larger than others. Now Bioware has already shown their resolve in games like DA and ME and let it be but those games are not MMOs but I am sure they have to consider the fact that they have agreements with Lucasarts about the use of the Star Wars name and what's ok and what isn't ok for that franchise. Also they don't want to make decision that will cost them too many players.

You seem to think that it shouldn't matter and therefore it doesn't matter what other people think. Now I agree with the first part. I also think it shouldn't matter but I know it does matter, sad as it is.

I just got little upset at you because you used comments like "for your amusement". In English that's not a neutral statement.
Et In Gehenna Vixi...

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.15.2013 , 02:39 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Listen, misunderstandings happen a lot on forums, but your comments seemed more aggressive towards me than needed.

The trick is that the fact that you want something, doesn't make it simple. It's not just the programming but the reality that if a game goes too far in a certain directions there will be negative reactions. There are armours already that allow male characters to walk around bare chested and everything.

But you want dancer dresses for male characters apparently. This will make SWTOR the "drag queen" game in the eyes of the media and I think it may be a step too far for a number of players. It may be my misunderstanding but a man in a dress is something that is associated more with the gay community and therefore my link to same gender stuff. It's a larger issue if you will. Bioware have to consider the feelings and opinions of all player groups and some are larger than others. Now Bioware has already shown their resolve in games like DA and ME and let it be but those games are not MMOs but I am sure they have to consider the fact that they have agreements with Lucasarts about the use of the Star Wars name and what's ok and what isn't ok for that franchise. Also they don't want to make decision that will cost them too many players.

You seem to think that it shouldn't matter and therefore it doesn't matter what other people think. Now I agree with the first part. I also think it shouldn't matter but I know it does matter, sad as it is.

I just got little upset at you because you used comments like "for your amusement". In English that's not a neutral statement.
Fair enough. I hadn't realised that the "dress" factor was such an issues, given the the way robes are designed in this game. However, I might also add that the dancer gear isn't dresses, but that's by-the-by. As it is, because of my understanding of what the Slave and Dancer gears are, I hadn't realised that people would automatically associate them as being "drag" for male characters (again, I don't see anything wrong with that.)

You're right in saying that I probably haven't been regarding opposition opinions as much as might have been, largely due to the fact that I'm heavily stuck on the idea of "optional" being just that - people don't have to wear it if they don't want to, I wouldn't have thought that making the gear genderless would cause any lasting, or significant, derision.


I can't speak for how Mr. Lucas and Disney* would feel about having sexualised clothing for men in their franchise, nor can I speculate on whether it would be detrimental to Bioware's playerbase to introduce it (like I said, I'm of the mind that creating such gear as an option would be rather neutrally received, but what do I know, I'm no statistician.)

Also, I apologise for the "amusement" remark - I'm used to, when posting about these things outside of the Story and Lore boards, getting trolled or outright yelled at, for commenting on certain problematic elements of the game, and how it can still feel very "boys club" at times.


*I'm pretty sure Disney dissolved LucasArts when the Star Wars franchise was purchased, hence the ending of Clone Wars and the development of 1313

OrionPex's Avatar


OrionPex
12.15.2013 , 04:01 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Vigilanis View Post
Er actually it is YOUR*....YOU'RE would be an abbreviation of YOU ARE, therefore the sentence would read, 'that is YOU ARE opinion'.....which is of course wrong....If you are going to troll with the grammar police...at least get it right lol.......nothing else to see here...move along
It's not an abbreviation of "you are." It's a contraction of "you are." Grammar police either need to--
1. Have a few beers
2. Read some Noam Chomsky
3. Learn grammar

Beltane's Avatar


Beltane
12.16.2013 , 02:54 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by HaoZhao View Post
Without the ability to dress up your jedi/sith like a stripper, the RP servers would be ghost towns within a week.
This doesn't even make sense. RPers tend to actually dress the way the character they're playing would dress whereas many raiders and PVPers wear the silliest outfits possible.
--=[ The Ebon Wraiths
Ebon Hawk | Dark Side Criminal RP
IG: Olyvia

Jeweledleah's Avatar


Jeweledleah
12.16.2013 , 02:58 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorwen View Post
I just want armor that doesn't have lopsided and WoW shoulders. I still don't know why Inquisitors even need space ships.
well... Palpatine had one so that he could get around the galaxy in his quest for power and encounter corruptible jedi faster. its just transportation (and for my sorc - a place to store artifacts and perform scientific experiments, away from prying eyes and all too curious ears of other Sith - easier to make sure that the ship is secure, vs headquarters in Dromund Kaas or Korriban)

that said, giant shoulders amuse me in all the wrong ways :P

drakensang's Avatar


drakensang
12.16.2013 , 07:26 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
But you want dancer dresses for male characters apparently. This will make SWTOR the "drag queen" game in the eyes of the media and I think it may be a step too far for a number of players. It may be my misunderstanding but a man in a dress is something that is associated more with the gay community and therefore my link to same gender stuff. It's a larger issue if you will. Bioware have to consider the feelings and opinions of all player groups and some are larger than others.
*Shrug* We have dresses for men in the game, and not only the classical robes, but for example the elegant dress, the genteel dress and even a miniskirt (which has a bug where it sprouts unnecessary leggins on male characters). I just was in a flashpoint with a male knight who nevertheless looked rather cute in it.

So far the sky has refused to fall, the american christian right failed to have one million moms campaign against it and the outcries of unsettled gamers about this unmanly style of clothing eluded me. It may be that the feelings and opinions of your implied large player groups aren't that easily upset.

Floredon's Avatar


Floredon
12.16.2013 , 07:45 PM | #90
we need a skin tight black jumpsuit so i can make a female cathar assassin and name her Cathwoman. oh yes.