Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This game feels abandoned

DarthDymond
12.15.2013 , 11:21 AM | #81
Your post is very hard to read in places, so sorry in advance if I'm misunderstanding some of what you're trying to say...
Quote: Originally Posted by HexDecimalUK View Post
Its no secret this game has fallen horribly short of its intended population if you think its doing well your sorely mistaken its NOT, go take take a look at the WOW server browser and then this game's server browser and then look up how much money has been spent making this game, then look up failure.
Just because it didn't meet initial expectations doesn't mean it's not doing well - the whole point of the CM and Free-to-Play is that they found a different way to monetize the game than the Subscription model they were initially banking on. Reports coming out now say that the game is profitable.

And if your baseline for not being a "failure" is hitting WoW's numbers? Sorry but that's just ridiculous.

The only valid point you've raised there is that this game did cost a butt-ton of $$$ to develop, which does raise the bar for how profitable it needs to be to count as a success. But given they're still investing money into it to produce things like GSF, and given the reports they've released saying it is making money, it seems like they're hitting that mark.

whats to stop the gree being on a daily bases? then the ship just takes off and npcs and orbs and boxes and crystals don't re-spawn,
Pretty sure you're going to alienate more players than you're going to please if they have to roll the dice on whether they're going to get to participate in a given bit of content each day.

If I log in today, I want to know I can go to Oricon and the Dread War will be going on so I can run my Dailies. If I log on next week during the Gree Event, I want to know the Gray Secant will be there whether I decide to log on at 10am or at 11pm - not everyone is on the same schedule. The nice thing about 1-2 week long events that are persistent for the full duration is that it gives people plenty of time to enjoy the content on their own schedule.

this galaxy is in a permanent stalemate and doing nothing when it could be in a raging war but there are no attacks, no surprises, no bonuses, the player base might be alive but the GAME that we occupy is totally and utterly dead and forgotten.
There is more than one way for a game to feel "alive" for some players. I'm sorry that Dynamic events are the be-all, end-all as far as you're concerned, but for me, the progressing storyline does more to make the Galaxy feel alive than anything.

Rescuing the Dread Masters in the Belsavis quest chain in 1.0; hearing hints that some unknown force was attacking Hutt Space in the Karagga's Palace in 1.1; learning that the Dread Masters had gone rogue in Explosive Conflict in 1.2; seeing the chaos they were willing to unleash on the Galaxy in Terror From Beyond in 1.4; fighting against their growing army in Section X in 1.5; their raid on the Arcanum and the Seeds of Rage plotline in 2.0; finally go face-to-face with a Dread Master in Scum and Villany; and ultimately a chance to truly take the fight to them on Oricon in 2.4 and face them all in the Dread Palace - That progression keeps the game from feeling "dead and forgotten" to me.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

Foambreaker
12.15.2013 , 11:34 AM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
Didn't they JUST add Galactic Starfighter?
To me that is one of the signs they are just milking it for cash.

If they were REALLY into the whole MMO and building a future GSF would have been a lot different:
1) The hanger would have been a place, with ships in it. Not a dialog box that looks like the main screen of an iPad game

2) The "lol new" companions would actually exist what is next, planets that only have a still picture and cannot be visited?

3) The ships would have been actual locations you could go to and walk around in. lol, of course that would have been hard, what would have been in the crew members seat for the new companions, a picture in a frame?

GSF is not integrated into the MMO at all, in fact I would not be 1 bit surprised if they released it as an app on crApple or crApdriod. They are a perfect match

Sarfux
12.15.2013 , 11:36 AM | #83
I don't think it feels abandoned. At all. I'm always starting new characters and see the starting planets filled with people all the time. I also see fleet constantly busy and the other planets have many people as well. So I don't get where you are under the impression that this game feels abandoned. Sure, it doesn't have 100 people every square game mile, but it has lots of people.

And let's be honest. Sometimes there can be too MANY people.
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

Blackholeskipper
12.15.2013 , 12:10 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
I don't think it feels abandoned. At all. I'm always starting new characters and see the starting planets filled with people all the time. I also see fleet constantly busy and the other planets have many people as well. So I don't get where you are under the impression that this game feels abandoned. Sure, it doesn't have 100 people every square game mile, but it has lots of people.

It probably has more to do with how static world is rather than actual player count. Since mobs rarely move around and the planets pretty much never change, you can feel pretty alone out there unless you see the occassional player moving around. And that can be pretty rare depending on the planet you're on. On Balmorra there's usually 80 players tops during the weekend, which isn't all that much when you look at the size of the gaming area.

But personally I like it that way. I actually go out of my way to avoid other players and try to play when I think there'll be less people since they tend to ruin my cutscenes by drawing their lightsabers, running and jumping around, etc.

Still, I think they could change a few things here and there to make the worlds seem more "alive" even when there aren't other players around. Maybe have certain creatures attack each other to simulate "hunting" or have mobs move around more. Add some small weather effects like rain in certain areas. I think there's already water rising from the waterfall in Dromund Kaas, more little stuff like that. Fog appearing at random times maybe. Etc.

(I think they added smoke to the chimneys at the balmorran arms factory - that makes it seem like the factories actually in use. Stuff like that).

Joetwoshots
12.15.2013 , 01:23 PM | #85
You mean they copy-pasted Star Conflict, but changed textures and effects to their own engine...

Infernixx
12.15.2013 , 01:24 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Joetwoshots View Post
You mean they copy-pasted Star Conflict, but changed textures and effects to their own engine...
Yep, they just copied the code and pasted into the the blank spot in their '*** do we do next' program and hit ENTER.

NAILED IT.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

DarthVengeant
12.15.2013 , 01:29 PM | #87
Yep, and I have about as much use for GS as pocket lint. But, not every update and content release will appeal to everyone.

I'll wait for them to come out with something I care about next that doesn't involve PVP, dailies, and cartel, but that's prob a long wait.

HexDecimalUK
12.15.2013 , 01:30 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post

constantly repeats and even edits the OP with big bold letters saying im refering to dynamic events, whole forum gets up in arms and has a continues flid about the population.

Yes i did mention the population isn't what it could be but thats me pointing out a single consequence but on the whole i dont have a problem with that.

When a thread that states its about one thing and everyone gets defensive about another that is proof that the OTHER is a real problem that they have already acknowledged but again its not my problem and i dont know how i could have made the OP clearer that i feel the game is abandoned by EAWARE and not the players although in every guild iv been in only 1 in about 20 still play the game but again thats not what im talking about.

*sighs and walks away
<RISK>
Hex'DecimalUK-Pyro HexDesecrate-Lightning Shatterclipse-VG/Immortal
Hex'DecímalUK-concealment HexDecimus-Madness Blaster'Chief-AP

Infernixx
12.15.2013 , 01:35 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
Yep, and I have about as much use for GS as pocket lint. But, not every update and content release will appeal to everyone.

I'll wait for them to come out with something I care about next that doesn't involve PVP, dailies, and cartel, but that's prob a long wait.
So, you're not interested in anything related to GS, ground PVP, cartel stuff or dailies.

Well, I can certainly see why you're subbed up, then, your interests are so varied.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Joetwoshots
12.15.2013 , 01:36 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Yep, they just copied the code and pasted into the the blank spot in their '*** do we do next' program and hit ENTER.

NAILED IT.
Oh, yeah, you nailed it, just like the argument that they skipped at least half of creation process by taking nearly all rules, ship classes and control engine from other game. They DID create textures, special effects and maps, but the whole concept of the game, ship classes, feel heavily unoriginal. Id exept something more from the SW based game, but i guess its going down like most of so called F2P games.
Pity, it was a great dream in its first months, for SWTOR to be proud member of MMORPG genre.