Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

Zorvan
12.14.2013 , 07:05 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
the glorious return of sandbox MMOs is coming sooner than you think.

EQ Next
Star Citizen
World of Darkness
Archeage
The Repopulation
Life is Feudal
Pathfinder Online
Camelot Unchained
Shroud of the Avatar

all coming 2014/15

lol You can take ArcheAge off there, anyone who's played it will tell you it's one big theme park disguised as a litter box.

Anyway, you cannot have a successful sandbox without some themepark. People need goals and guidelines, whether they admit it or not. All you have to do is look at games like A Tale in the Desert or Face of Mankind to see how popular ( not ) player only content sandboxes are.

Make a good themebox or sandpark and you'll have a chance at success. Like Star Citizen, for example. It is more sandpark than sandbox, and that's one of its biggest draws. It actually has content for you to do, rather than for you to have to make it all up yourself.
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Please use my referral so we both get cool stuff. Thanks.
http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn

Astenion
12.14.2013 , 07:17 PM | #22
EA just announced a Star Wars sandbox game a la Assassin's Creed.

Whether or not it will be good is a completely different matter. I think it'll be great, however. EA may suck at MMOs, but they're pretty good at single-player stuff.

Knockerz
12.14.2013 , 07:21 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
lol You can take ArcheAge off there, anyone who's played it will tell you it's one big theme park disguised as a litter box.

Anyway, you cannot have a successful sandbox without some themepark. People need goals and guidelines, whether they admit it or not. All you have to do is look at games like A Tale in the Desert or Face of Mankind to see how popular ( not ) player only content sandboxes are.

Make a good themebox or sandpark and you'll have a chance at success. Like Star Citizen, for example. It is more sandpark than sandbox, and that's one of its biggest draws. It actually has content for you to do, rather than for you to have to make it all up yourself.
This is true. In swg there wasn't any thing to do, except grind to unlock your jedi or gain experience on your jedi. It seems to me the only people who like pure sandbox mmorpgs are people who role play. Take for example swg, there were no dungeons, no pvp warzones, and no quest chains. What are you supposed to do, when your done leveling? I don't like sitting around waiting for pvp to happen. There was no questing in swg. The quest you accept generated spawns of 3-5 npc that you needed to destroy to complete. You did this over and over to level. That was not fun and swtor is 10 times better than that crap. I find it hard to believe any one would have fun in that game outside of role playing or maybe that flying, but otherwise what is there to do except craft? There is nothing outside the main cities.

I spent a lot time in Dathomir and Dantooine and both zones were always void of players. Between warcraft and swg it's no wonder warcraft won. That is why swg attempted to copy wow, but it only drove more people to leave. The game was not design like wow and consquently made little sense to change it. There was also the change to jedi from an unlock to standard class, which pissed off most of their player base.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

Zorvan
12.14.2013 , 07:28 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Astenion View Post
EA just announced a Star Wars sandbox game a la Assassin's Creed.

Whether or not it will be good is a completely different matter. I think it'll be great, however. EA may suck at MMOs, but they're pretty good at single-player stuff.
Yeah, I'm thinking they picked up that Star Wars 1313 that got cancelled and are building on to it.
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Please use my referral so we both get cool stuff. Thanks.
http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn

Callaron
12.14.2013 , 07:35 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking they picked up that Star Wars 1313 that got cancelled and are building on to it.
Sounds likely.
My guess is that they want to compete with GTA V (well, mimic its success) - and Star Wars 1313 seems to have the right setting to do that; add a heap of sandbox elements to it and you have GTA V in Space with lightsabers.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

XxHazenxX
12.14.2013 , 07:42 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by befear View Post
This is kotor. and kotor has never been a sandbox game and will never be
Regarding the second part of your post, you're correct; KotOR has never been a sandbox and never will be.

Regarding the first part, I've played through KotOR I and II around 20 times each in their entirety aaaand this game isn't KotOR, or anywhere remotely close to it. KotOR is actually an amazing game... This is a VERY mediocre game in every way possible except for the voice acting (which is great).
SWG-Flurry
<DFR> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <DFR>
July 10, 2004 - July 10, 2010

BrianDavion
12.14.2013 , 08:19 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Well, the days of AAA sandbox MMO games are probably over.
But there will be smaller titles, and who knows, maby they'll come back into fashion again some day?

But for now, just accept that if you want a sandbox MMO, you'll have to go off the mainstream...

As for Sandbox Games in general?
Well, GTA V is a sandbox game, and that sold incredible amounts of copies, so I don't think its at an end in general... just for the MMO's.
this more or less, until a minor game company scores a huuuge hit with a sandbox game the AAA MMOs will all be themepark

Blackholeskipper
12.14.2013 , 09:10 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Well, the days of AAA sandbox MMO games are probably over.
But there will be smaller titles, and who knows, maby they'll come back into fashion again some day?

But for now, just accept that if you want a sandbox MMO, you'll have to go off the mainstream...

As for Sandbox Games in general?
Well, GTA V is a sandbox game, and that sold incredible amounts of copies, so I don't think its at an end in general... just for the MMO's.
I dunno man, Star Citizen has already reached 34 million in funding. Keep in mind that they don't have to go through a third party like EA so most of that money will go to funding the game directly.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Then there's always EVE Online... quality-wise it's definitely "AAA."

JimG
12.14.2013 , 10:07 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
And last, I had high hope SWTOR was going to be Sandbox...again, a no go.
And why would you have ever expected or even hoped that? It was made clear long before this game was launched that it wouldn't be a sandbox game. Yet, years later, people are still moaning over this freaking sandbox stuff. This is not the sandbox game you're looking for.

Etheric
12.14.2013 , 11:11 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
This is true. In swg there wasn't any thing to do, except grind to unlock your jedi or gain experience on your jedi. It seems to me the only people who like pure sandbox mmorpgs are people who role play. Take for example swg, there were no dungeons, no pvp warzones, and no quest chains. What are you supposed to do, when your done leveling? I don't like sitting around waiting for pvp to happen. There was no questing in swg. The quest you accept generated spawns of 3-5 npc that you needed to destroy to complete. You did this over and over to level. That was not fun and swtor is 10 times better than that crap. I find it hard to believe any one would have fun in that game outside of role playing or maybe that flying, but otherwise what is there to do except craft? There is nothing outside the main cities.

I spent a lot time in Dathomir and Dantooine and both zones were always void of players. Between warcraft and swg it's no wonder warcraft won. That is why swg attempted to copy wow, but it only drove more people to leave. The game was not design like wow and consquently made little sense to change it. There was also the change to jedi from an unlock to standard class, which pissed off most of their player base.
No dungeons in SWG ? what were the DWB, Warren and others then ? No quests ? I remember running quests for the rebellion in order to increase my faction standing. Leveling ? I remember a skill based system, maybe you're refering to the NGE, i left at that point , never looked back, was it level based then ? Weird how recollections differ.

As for SWG vs WOW, well of course WOW won thats like a " no brainer ", If i had 2 maps, map A is layed out for ease of use, all directions marked, sign posts at every turn, Map B well X marks the spot you have to figure out the rest on your own. Which map do you believe the majority of people will pick ? I'm willing to bet A, and you ? Me i'll pick B everytime, besides being overly pig headed, i also believe the journey is where the fun really is, like that saying " life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans "

I have to ask if it was no fun as you say why did you play ?