Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Days of Sandbox games are at an end?

Wraiven
12.14.2013 , 02:41 PM | #1
Sure seems that way to me. I had High hopes STO was going to be Sandbox, especially how Jack Emmert was talking about it and beefing the game up. I had high hopes AoC was going to be Sandbox, but was sadly disappointed....although, it did at least try to give the illusion that it was Sandbox, it was still noticeable to me that it was not. And last, I had high hope SWTOR was going to be Sandbox...again, a no go.

So are the Days of Sandbox games over? I sure hope not, it was the Sandbox aspect of SWG that got me hooked on MMOs to start with.
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

Vandicus
12.14.2013 , 02:44 PM | #2
EvE is still around. This probably belongs in off-topic though.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Wintermist
12.14.2013 , 02:45 PM | #3
You're not out of luck and the sandbox games aren't gone.

Have a look at https://www.therepopulation.com/ which is a game that seems to want to mimic what SWG did exactly.
Hand Disinfection.

MacLean
12.14.2013 , 02:54 PM | #4
Console games are still doing sandbox. I do agree though that I miss that aspect in the MMO arena.

Callaron
12.14.2013 , 03:03 PM | #5
World of Darkness will also be more of a sandbox game. (when/if it sees the light of day)
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)

Sentanta
12.14.2013 , 03:07 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Wintermist View Post
You're not out of luck and the sandbox games aren't gone.

Have a look at https://www.therepopulation.com/ which is a game that seems to want to mimic what SWG did exactly.
This - (check my Sig also) - I have been following this game for a while now - have even backed it financially - this is going to be a great Sandbox game.
Good against remotes is one thing, good against the living, thats something else.

A home for SWG vets!

befear
12.14.2013 , 03:09 PM | #7
This is kotor. and kotor has never been a sandbox game and will never be
Sephster <Intrepid>
http://www.twitch.tv/befear

Oneirophrenia
12.14.2013 , 03:18 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
especially how Jack Emmert was talking about it and beefing the game up.
Off-topic: Having played CoH/CoV, I personally would never trust *anything* that comes out of Jack Emmert's mouth.

On-topic: Personally, I think the change in the gaming population is what relegated Sandbox type of MMOs to a niche role. As video gaming reached mainstream status, the attention span of its gamers became shorter as well. Where as before MMO gamers used to devote themselves to a single game for years, now they may play 2-3 (or more) games at once. With this evolution, time constraint becomes a significant issue as players now have many different options grabbing at their attention. In response to that, more and more MMOs chose to implement a somewhat linear progression system which allows the player to jump right into the action from the moment he logs on thus feeling like he accomplished something with the limited amount of time he had. This is pretty much same reason behind why MMOs of today are generally far less grindy than their predecessors from a decade ago.

Anyway, going forward I think it would be more common for MMOs to incorporate certain sandbox elements without adopting the whole theme.

Feztonio
12.14.2013 , 03:45 PM | #9
while i think most people like the 'idea' of a sandbox, i don't know how many of them are truely willing to actually use them. I played SWG from about a month after launch until the NGE finally wrecked it for me. yes the planets were sandbox and you could go anywhere vs SWTOR where you're on rails more or less each planet. the thing is - nobody really ventured way out into the nooks and crannies of the SWG planets much at all.

as someone who always was out there in the hinterlands placing harvesters and running my economic empire, i rarely ran into anyone else out more than a couple thousand meters away from the spaceports, except maybe other harvester planters.

my point here is.. just because the idea of a sandbox is appealing, even when one is in front of gamers nobody actually takes advantage of it when they have one
Quote:
"First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to ALL game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge." -Jeff Hickman - Executive Producer - Star Wars: The Old Republic

OddballEasyEight
12.14.2013 , 03:52 PM | #10
Well, the days of AAA sandbox MMO games are probably over.
But there will be smaller titles, and who knows, maby they'll come back into fashion again some day?

But for now, just accept that if you want a sandbox MMO, you'll have to go off the mainstream...

As for Sandbox Games in general?
Well, GTA V is a sandbox game, and that sold incredible amounts of copies, so I don't think its at an end in general... just for the MMO's.
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds