Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Shield Bleed through? Where is the logic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Shield Bleed through? Where is the logic?

Hanonar's Avatar


Hanonar
12.04.2013 , 07:54 PM | #1
Charged Plating though while this is quite interesting (and for some stupid reason my favorite) they are next to worthless.

You have a 40% chance that attacks will 'bleed through' your shields and damage the hull, alright fine. Makes sense but not too useful. Once you get the first upgrade (its a must) you get an active ability that has 60% damage reduction to your hull for X seconds (can't recall how long it lasts). So these shields seem to be next to useless when fighting standard enemies, so in order to have full damage reduction and not get melted you need activate the 60% damage reduction.

The only use for these shields seem to be for DoTs (Like the Plasma railgun which does both hull and shield damage) or Ion weaponry (all Ion weaponry does lots of shield damage but no hull damage) so while these shields are pretty interesting and unique against anyone that hasn't specifically changed into DoTs or Ion weaponry you are taking more damage than useful...

So all-in-all anyone else find this shielding tech way too situational to actually use for combat?

Iwipe's Avatar


Iwipe
12.04.2013 , 08:00 PM | #2
Well the thing about Charged Plating is that it boost your shield by a huge amount and doesn't reduce your overall shield capacity like quick-charge shields. It is very situational use and not for everyone. They used to the default shield for strike fighters but got changed due to everyone complaining about the high intake damage. Any weapon basically have a 50% shield pierce against you when you got charging plating.

Hanonar's Avatar


Hanonar
12.04.2013 , 08:04 PM | #3
I just feel like the chance that attacks with penetrate your shields is too high to even try to roll with charged plating, I love charged plating and can see its uses vs ions and DoTs but against blasters (which everyone has) You die. I really feel like this is a waste of an option unless the chance for bleed through goes down by a bit.

Dr_Kid's Avatar


Dr_Kid
12.04.2013 , 08:29 PM | #4
The problem with Charged Plating, is that it's too situational and too easy to counter.
Even with the 60% Damage Reduction ability active any semi-upgraded gunship gunship will be 1-shotting you, or 2-shotting you with full health. Why? Because 100% Armor penetration is way too common.
Heavy Laser Cannons, Burst Laser Cannons, Slug Railgun, Concussion Missiles, Proton Torpedoes, Thermite Torpedo, and Rocket Pods all have access to 100% Armor penetration that makes Charged plating completely worthless.

Ordinary weapons shouldn't be able to completely bypass all of your defenses right after taking a single upgrade. Weapons with the innate Armor penetration such as Proton and Thermite Torpedoes are at least balanced with actual trade-offs such as firing arc and lock-on time.