Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part II

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part II
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rotaruc
12.03.2013 , 01:22 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by WoozleWozzle View Post
The article mentions "Galactic Starfighter Pass Holders". What is that?
It's Probably going to be similar to passes we have now. like weekly war zone passes and all that. F2P players will probs be limited to a certain amount of matches per week unless they have a pass.

As for Subscribers receiving more req per match I dont think it is an unfair advantage or p2w. There has to be some benefit for paying 15$ a month. and its not like f2p players cant earn the same amount of req.... They just have to work a little harder for it. Yeah subscribers will advance slightly faster than non subscribers but at least there wont be exclusive Subscriber only gear, abilities, or perks. You guys are complaining about a little bonus req when it could be something thats really unfair.

eartharioch
12.03.2013 , 01:28 AM | #22
Per http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter:

Quote:
STARFIGHTER PASSES
As a Preferred Status Player or a Free-to-Play player, you can purchase weekly or monthly Starfighter Passes from the Cartel Market for faster leveling and progression beginning January 14, 2014. For Subscribers, maximum leveling and progression is included as a Subscriber benefit.
F2P and Pref have no limitation on # of games per week, the Pass just lets them level up at the same speed as a Sub. I'm assuming we won't see actual pricing until non-Subs can play, but I'd guess a month of passes would be cheaper than a full Sub.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

idnewton
12.03.2013 , 01:35 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
"free' players technically have an advantage, as they presumably stay in each bracket longer, and thus have more experience using the tools available at that bracket.
An interesting way to look at it, but you could always make another level 1 character to stay in a bracket longer. The players in each 'bracket' are probably going to have about the same skill level, just better gear. I also wouldn't consider it a real 'bracket' system, anyways. It's not like "if you have spent X amount of ship requisition on this character, but not Y amount, you are in bracket 2". It's probably similar, but I doubt you can definitively say "This character of mine is in bracket 2, this character is in 4" and so on.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rotaruc View Post
I'd also like to know about this. Are we actually going to be able to fight? Like we were able to in Battlefront or are we just in for a ride to click for 5 minutes? I want to be able to blast away whoever I want whenever I want. I want Dogfights.
I don't understand how you would not know this. If you use the forums or the dev tracker, you likely use Dulfy or would have seen gameplay elsewhere. Or checked out the PTS? The answer to your question is 'yes', it's just the origin of your question that I find confusing.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
5/5 NiM DF PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

eartharioch
12.03.2013 , 01:58 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
An interesting way to look at it, but you could always make another level 1 character to stay in a bracket longer. The players in each 'bracket' are probably going to have about the same skill level, just better gear. I also wouldn't consider it a real 'bracket' system, anyways. It's not like "if you have spent X amount of ship requisition on this character, but not Y amount, you are in bracket 2". It's probably similar, but I doubt you can definitively say "This character of mine is in bracket 2, this character is in 4" and so on.
The devs said there was matchmaking, but didn't give specifics as to the weight given to gear or skill, but the key phrases I took from the article were:

Quote:
We literally wanted to make the pool of players as large as possible, so everyone from level 1 to level 55 will queue together, taking into consideration how developed your ships are (yes, our matchmaking system will attempt to put beginning players with beginners, and more advanced players with each other—that’s the simple version).
Quote:
What this game should be about is pitting your dogfighting skills against your enemies; how you strategize and use the environments to overcome the enemy; how you learn to use your abilities at the right time. Asking you to give us money in order to be more powerful and to gain an unfair advantage over an enemy undermines that desire.
and
Quote:
Our philosophy here is that if a player puts in the time, it’s up to them how they use that time. If you want to spend Cartel Coins to upgrade one of your other ships, or to keep upgrading the ship you earned that Requisition on that’s your choice.
So, my understanding is that Mo$ (Sub, Pass, or CC) "just" gets you faster access to the full array of ships and upgrades GS has to offer.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

warking-alex
12.03.2013 , 02:08 AM | #25
Well maybe we can stop complaining about paying for a game.
But u cant expect that non-subscribers get the same as the subscribers.

Beside that, i just cant wait for the space combat really looking forward to it

Suzina
12.03.2013 , 02:19 AM | #26
Quote:
We had to avoid Pay-to-Win
Restrictions on Power & Pay-to-Win
I put these two points together because to me they feel very similar in their impact. I think it’s self-evident as to why they’re bad for a community of players, especially in a F2P game. Both create a sort of caste system based on the “haves” and the “have nots.” Both create jealousy. And moreover, both create resentment towards us, the developers.

What this game should be about is pitting your dogfighting skills against your enemies; how you strategize and use the environments to overcome the enemy; how you learn to use your abilities at the right time. Asking you to give us money in order to be more powerful and to gain an unfair advantage over an enemy undermines that desire.
I agree with this quote from the dev blog so much.

I just want to say it's awesome TOR won't have the cartel-coin fleet-comm conversion!

This is the best news I've heard regarding starfighter. I really feel like our feedback in beta was really listened to.

I am just so thankful that won't be in the patch tomorrow, and I want to thank Bioware for removing the terrible pay-to-win options that were available in beta. Specifically, the use of cartel coins to create Fleet-comms out of our wealth of worthless ship-req.

Best. News. Ever.
Member of Bane Fleet

JamieKirby
12.03.2013 , 02:34 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzina View Post

I just want to say it's awesome TOR won't have the cartel-coin fleet-comm conversion!

This is the best news I've heard regarding starfighter. I really feel like our feedback in beta was really listened to.

I am just so thankful that won't be in the patch tomorrow, and I want to thank Bioware for removing the terrible pay-to-win options that were available in beta. Specifically, the use of cartel coins to create Fleet-comms out of our wealth of worthless ship-req.

Best. News. Ever.
It just means, those that have the spare cash for coins, can't use it ingame, making bioware get less profit, well done. :-)

Suzina
12.03.2013 , 02:43 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzina View Post
:
Sorry, nevermind, I continued reading....

Quote:
This obviously makes Fleet Requisition much more valuable. Players can use Cartel Coins to convert Ship Requisition they’ve earned on their ships into Fleet Requisition, effectively using their more powerful ships to twink their less powerful ships.
Umm... isn't paying to be twinked .... by definition.... pay to win? I mean, a twink is a character built to be more powerful than the average competition so that winning can be achieved with less skill. So how exactly is that not pay to win?

Quote:
It’s important to note here that players will also get a small portion of their Ship Requisition converted to Fleet Requisition for free at the end of each battle, helping create a pool of Fleet Requisition for them to use.
A small pool? What is the non pay-to-win way to convert worthless ship req to fleet comms? If we wish to be competitive, are we supposed to deposit 25 cents to convert ship req after every few battles like we're playing an arcade machine? I suppose in the end it doesn't matter, since eventually everyone will cap, but non-pay to win players have an artificially long grind ahead of them.
Quote:
Our philosophy here is that if a player puts in the time, it’s up to them how they use that time. If you want to spend Cartel Coins to upgrade one of your other ships, or to keep upgrading the ship you earned that Requisition on that’s your choice.
I see a sentence about respecting players time. Something that suggests "dailys" so you still get some fleet comms if you don't have a lot of time. Next to that is a sentance about disrespecting the majority of players who desire a non-pay-to-win based system. The two thoughts are unrelated.
Quote:
Ultimately, it’s a question of time and we’re confident Galactic Starfighter is a fun, satisfying experience from the very start.
You're confident it's fun from the start? Yet I notice you are offering a paid option to skip that nasty "start" part.

Quote:
There are other factors involved here as well. For instance, Subscribers and Galactic Starfighter Pass Holders will earn Requisition on their ships faster than Free-to-Play players. This is obviously allowing Subscribers to “level up” faster than F2P players, but this is nothing new to our game and many others like ours.
The difference is that when one player levels up faster than another, the one leveling up faster doesn't get to keep all his level difference and beat the sith spit out of everyone in sight. The mere slight advantage of talent trees created enough of a problem in balance that level brackets had to be created in spite of bolster. GS has no such mechanism allowing significant difference in strength between ships and slaps a payment based level system on top of that.
Quote:

I hope that gives some insight into our thoughts
[/QUOTE]

I hope this gives you some insight into my thoughts as well.
Member of Bane Fleet

Tallwyn
12.03.2013 , 02:47 AM | #29
Seems some of you havent played on the open PTS weekends or havent read up on what Galactic Starfighter is.

Yes its completely free flight! There are no rails.

As of yet, there is no joystick support so yes you fly with A,S,W,D + mouse and a few other buttons. Dont let that deterre you from trying it out though. It takes some time to get used to the controlls, but once you know them well enough, youll start enjoying the game for what it is! An epic free addition to SWTOR!

Its definately not P2W. The upgrades you can buy sure give you a small edge, but thats it. If you cant aim, constantly fly into obsticles (ive done this quite some times), don't know when to fight, when to run or don't know how your ship is supposed to fight, no ammout of upgrades will allow you to win.

A 2%-8% better turn rate wont let you win each dogfight, while it will certanly give you an edge over someone without it.

The only "big" upgrades are tier 5 of all main components and they are quite expensive. Even then, a skilled pilot may defeat you. Your blasters doing 18% more damage to the hull or shields will make a difference, but how much of a difference? Maybe 1-2 less shots required for a kill? You still have to hit all the other ones

Also, there is a Daily quest and a Weekly for GSF. Both reward Ship Requisition for all your currently available ships.
The Weekly also provided some Fleet Requisition on the PTS. So you already can boost your other ships with your primary and it doesnt cost a CC while providing you with additional options.

Skill is the most decisive factor in GSF. Just give it a try first and then find out for yourself!
May the Force be with you, always.

Tsukaa
12.03.2013 , 12:24 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Rotaruc View Post
I'd also like to know about this. Are we actually going to be able to fight? Like we were able to in Battlefront or are we just in for a ride to click for 5 minutes? I want to be able to blast away whoever I want whenever I want. I want Dogfights.
you control the ship with the mouse, you fire primary weapon with left click and secondary weapon with right click, you speed boost with space bar and push 1 2 3 4 for space abilities,

on my 1st match i died 5 times and 4 of those times were me crashing into things, it looks fantastic but my biggest problem is getting used to the controls,