Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part II

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part II
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Talahar's Avatar


Talahar
12.02.2013 , 08:56 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Actually that's anti-twinking.

You use ship requisition to buy fleet requisition(the point of which would be to buy ships).

So essentially you're trading ship upgrades into ships for a fee. Though its actually fairly fast to earn ships anyways. Regardless, given the same number of games played, you end up with more upgrades on a ship if you don't convert and buy new ships, then if you do convert and buy new ships.
But you can also use fleet req to upgrade ship systems, so if I convert the req from ship A to fleet,
and use that fleet req to upgrade my systems on ship B, that would be the twinking part.

That's actually important to note: if you try to upgrade a ship system, and can't pay all with that ship's req,
the rest of the cost will be paid with fleet req.... So be careful, y'all, when upgrading your ships.
Darth Banish, Twi'Lek Sorcerer 55, The Progenitor
Major Gyllian Talahar, Human Commando 53, The Progenitor
Captain Galen Talahar, Human Gunslinger 38, The Progenitor
SGR Supporter

Rydlin's Avatar


Rydlin
12.02.2013 , 09:23 PM | #12
I don't get the problem from F2P and P2P, we pay for the game so we should get more out of it. I'm tired of people complaining because we get more because we pay. you should get what you pay for and if your not paying then you shouldn't get certain perks. Don't be ungrateful because your not contributing.
___[==THE==]____
/DEATHSTALKER/-----[======] >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
'''''/LEGACY/'''''////'''''''''''''''''''
_ /////_

Ericc's Avatar


Ericc
12.02.2013 , 09:54 PM | #13
This...
Quote: Originally Posted by Rydlin View Post
I don't get the problem from F2P and P2P, we pay for the game so we should get more out of it. I'm tired of people complaining because we get more because we pay. you should get what you pay for and if your not paying then you shouldn't get certain perks. Don't be ungrateful because your not contributing.

idnewton's Avatar


idnewton
12.02.2013 , 10:01 PM | #14
You mention you're against Pay-to-Win but use only Cartel Coins for currency exchanges.

Don't get me wrong, that's not 'winning', but it is an advantage.

I fully agree with having the blaster shot colors cost Cartel Coins, even the ships. I'd prefer credits, but I can deal with that. We're talking real game here, though. Actual mechanics, not just cosmetics.

TL;DR - I disapprove. I don't strongly disapprove, but I disapprove.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 Dread Fortress PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
12.03.2013 , 12:14 AM | #15
A few things...from my perspective only.

This is not ready. You do not have a fixed reticule, native joystick/gamepad control or "on foot" combat in capital ships like BF2. The upgrades were too powerful IMO by about 60 percent across the board, but you have a matchmaking system in place that may take care of that. That was a good move IMO.

I feel you guys squandered an opportunity here to maximize the appeal of the feature. That disappoints me, and I will be more than happy if I am wrong, but I do not expect this will have the widespread appeal with the casual majority playerbase like it should have had.

I wish you guys all the luck and success in the world. This may be my last post for a while.

Good luck and happy flying.

eartharioch's Avatar


eartharioch
12.03.2013 , 12:41 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Rydlin View Post
I don't get the problem from F2P and P2P, we pay for the game so we should get more out of it. I'm tired of people complaining because we get more because we pay. you should get what you pay for and if your not paying then you shouldn't get certain perks. Don't be ungrateful because your not contributing.
You are so wrong I don't know where to start, so:

1) EA/BW created the different "levels" -- Sub, Preferred, and F2P. It's their company, they chose which customers get which rights. As for-profit companies, I assume EA/BW is comfortable with the contributions made by their customers. So it's so not your business (literally) to tell people they are ungrateful and not contributing.

2) Currently, only Subs get to post in the Forums, so any complaints you may have heard here are by your Peers (capitalization intended, Your Majesty).

3) There are a lot of games that claim to be 'F2P' but are really P2W. Most 'complaints" I hear on these forums are from a fear that SWTOR might become P2W, not that it already is. Since many Subs (currently your paying Peers) intend to play this game for a while, and since the world is occasionally random and harsh, current Subs do have a legitimate interest in how the game works for F2P or Preferred as not everybody can predict what the future will bring. I.e., how a now-Sub will be treated in the future may affect a now-Sub's decision to renew (not cancel).

4) F2P and Preferred players arguably contribute just by playing -- do you like seeing empty planets? Do you like PVP, FPs, or OPs? Queue up for some and let us know if they always pop immediately, soon enough, or if you wish there were more people queued up and ready to play with you when you are ready. Or just check the relevant forums.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

Costello's Avatar


Costello
12.03.2013 , 12:56 AM | #17
While I have nothing against subscribers increasing in power faster than no subscribers, i.e. those that pay to play will have an advantage over those that don't it seems odd to have made such a big deal of pay to win being bad and restrictions being bad. I pay money I will advance quicker than someone that doesn't pay so my ship will have a better load out than theirs with better crew skills. Surely that is pay to win even if there is nothing wrong with it you can't in one sentence say pay to win is bad and then say paying customers will have an advantage.

idnewton's Avatar


idnewton
12.03.2013 , 01:01 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
While I have nothing against subscribers increasing in power faster than no subscribers, i.e. those that pay to play will have an advantage over those that don't it seems odd to have made such a big deal of pay to win being bad and restrictions being bad. I pay money I will advance quicker than someone that doesn't pay so my ship will have a better load out than theirs with better crew skills. Surely that is pay to win even if there is nothing wrong with it you can't in one sentence say pay to win is bad and then say paying customers will have an advantage.
The difference between subscribing and P2W is that there are only two levels: Subscribed, and not subscribed. You paid, and you're progressing faster than someone who isn't, but the difference is that with P2W there are unlimited levels. You might pay $100 a day to level your ships quickly, but someone else has more money and is paying $500 a day and pounding you out of the sky. Suddenly it's no longer a game about ships and fun, it's a gauge of how loaded you are in real life. That's the difference.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 Dread Fortress PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

eartharioch's Avatar


eartharioch
12.03.2013 , 01:15 AM | #19
Strict P2W would be just having one bracket and whoever has more bling on their ship pretty much wins. If it's properly bracketed, which appears to be the GS goal, then paying just gets you to higher brackets faster and in/with a wider variety of ships. In any given bracket (regardless of how you got there), the fights would be presumably (gear-wise) close.

Note that in a bracketed system, "free' players technically have an advantage, as they presumably stay in each bracket longer, and thus have more experience using the tools available at that bracket.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

Rotaruc's Avatar


Rotaruc
12.03.2013 , 01:19 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by novussole View Post
How's the game play? Can you use a joystick or are you stuck with w/a/s/d? I've been meaning to inquire about the current space missions. You are somewhat just along for the ride. Ticks me off when I get 3/4 the way through a mission and all of a sudden it feels as if you are shoved into an asteroid. Use to love space battles in SWG. You say true dogfighting, but do you really mean it?
I'd also like to know about this. Are we actually going to be able to fight? Like we were able to in Battlefront or are we just in for a ride to click for 5 minutes? I want to be able to blast away whoever I want whenever I want. I want Dogfights.