Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part II

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part II
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
12.02.2013 , 05:52 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Lead Designer Michael Backus explains in more detail about the cost, accessibility, and gameplay of Galactic Starfighter.

Read More
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

USM_Teufelhund
12.02.2013 , 06:15 PM | #2
The more I read about the Galactic Starfighter Expansion, the more it feels like it's been heavily influenced by World of Tanks. I don't think this is a bad thing, however. I for one really like world of tanks.

Notrizzy
12.02.2013 , 06:54 PM | #3
Ok, why do you make a big point of not letting people Pay To Win, and then add the ability to use cartel coins to move your Ship points to Fleet points to "twink" your ship. That's the exact thing you were trying to avoid?

Vashistra
12.02.2013 , 07:06 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Notrizzy View Post
Ok, why do you make a big point of not letting people Pay To Win, and then add the ability to use cartel coins to move your Ship points to Fleet points to "twink" your ship. That's the exact thing you were trying to avoid?
That's pay to skip or pay to be lazy, other people can get to that point aswell, it'll just take some time. It's only Pay to Win if you're able to buy stats nobody else can get to in the game.

Mattaw
12.02.2013 , 07:12 PM | #5
Both Subscribers and F2P get Fleet Requisition. As stated in the post, a small amount of Ship Requisition earned in each battle will be converted into Fleet Requisition. Now those who want to speed up that process and convert a whole bunch of SR into FR can spend CC's to do so. It's more "Pay-To-Speed-Up" than "Pay-To-Win". Which is completely fair, in my opinion. I, for one, am very much looking forward to probably skipping work on Wednesday to play more SPvP. (Just kidding... probably...)
**grunt**

novussole
12.02.2013 , 08:04 PM | #6
How's the game play? Can you use a joystick or are you stuck with w/a/s/d? I've been meaning to inquire about the current space missions. You are somewhat just along for the ride. Ticks me off when I get 3/4 the way through a mission and all of a sudden it feels as if you are shoved into an asteroid. Use to love space battles in SWG. You say true dogfighting, but do you really mean it?

Vanwa
12.02.2013 , 08:10 PM | #7
Awsome questions, I was about to get on and ask the same. I really hope you can use a joystick. That's a big reason I love jump to light speed. the a/w/s/d key think just isn't natural in space combat.
Vanwa

I play games to have fun.... Don't you?

caronome
12.02.2013 , 08:11 PM | #8
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but currently subscribers get more XP from ground game quests than non-subscribers. And anyone can buy a XP enhancement scroll with CC. Just like about every other MMO. Nor can you buy FR from thin air; you did have to play GS to earn the SR that were converted into FR.

Pay to grind less seems to me to be an acceptable monetization.

Vandicus
12.02.2013 , 08:12 PM | #9
Actually that's anti-twinking.

You use ship requisition to buy fleet requisition(the point of which would be to buy ships).

So essentially you're trading ship upgrades into ships for a fee. Though its actually fairly fast to earn ships anyways. Regardless, given the same number of games played, you end up with more upgrades on a ship if you don't convert and buy new ships, then if you do convert and buy new ships.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

WoozleWozzle
12.02.2013 , 08:41 PM | #10
The article mentions "Galactic Starfighter Pass Holders". What is that?