Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Solo Que Matchmaking has a Serious Flaw - Data Inside

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Solo Que Matchmaking has a Serious Flaw - Data Inside
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthMaulUK
11.24.2013 , 01:31 PM | #71
Watched the Wildstar live stream last night and their class designer said something VERY interesting....

They put all their numbers into a spread sheet which compiles all the data and number crunches class balance. However, importantly he said 'its ok to have it all on a spread sheet and it tells you what should happen but the only way is to see the feedback from the players and number back from the data in game'.

Now if only Bioware took this approach. They bury their head in metrics and clearly either certain classes are where THEY want them to be so they won't do squat.

The Bioware live streams also proved just how little they play their own game and understand their classes. Maybe you guys could learn a few things from Carbine

Tips, Guides, Streams,Live Events

Capt_Beers
11.25.2013 , 09:50 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
So, ever single night I late night PVP this week. And, every single night there are un-even matches.

So, Bioware....explain to me how it is so hard to have even games when people have posted easy fixes in this thread?

I'll say it again....if 9 people que, then 8 of them get in the game, 4 on each team. If 15 people are qued then 14 people get in, 7 on each team. NO ONE else is allowed in the game late after initial que until one is added to BOTH sides evenly. Furthermore, the game is not allowed to start unless teams are even. Period.

It's pretty freakin' simple. I fail to see how this has been so hard to fix in the game.

Also, I have never understood why the PVP que isn't the same as the FP que where there has to be at least 1 heals and 1 tank. I am SICK of getting in matches with no healers. I'd rather que times were a bit longer so that we could get at least 1 heals.
Everyone in this thread is talking about ranked solo queue. You seem to be talking about normal WZ's.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

Racter
11.25.2013 , 09:52 AM | #73
Happened again last night. Somnomnomnomnomax count'crotchula myself and a random fourth against 4 people under 1300. I am relatively sure our fourth was 1500ish, my op is ~1380. Our entire team was higher than their entire team. Imp v imp match. Zero sense.

TonyDragonflame
11.25.2013 , 10:32 AM | #74
Rating is a joke to be honest.

In good ranking system rating start from 0 and never loose with every game - just increase with every win, quantity depending from opponent team rating. But its NEVER loose.
Referral link!
Guardian vr 100 | Sentinel vr 94 | Scoundrel vr 91 | Vanguard vr 91 | Shadow v 85 | Guns v 75
Manhunter 140+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN

Skolops
11.25.2013 , 10:38 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Rating is a joke to be honest.

In good ranking system rating start from 0 and never loose with every game - just increase with every win, quantity depending from opponent team rating. But its NEVER loose.
This is actually entirely incorrect. Under a system like that, rating expresses only the amount of games a person has played. The worst player in the world could easily be the most highly rated if he simply played enough.

The rating system the game uses is based off of ELO, which is a very solid rating system. The implementation just seems to be a bit off at the moment.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

EricMusco
11.25.2013 , 11:33 AM | #76 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone,

Thank you for continuing to report on the issue. Just to reiterate, we are actively looking through our matchmaking to ensure that there aren't any erroneous bugs causing these mismatches to happen. I will report back should we find anything!

Thanks.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

KarmaForce
11.25.2013 , 11:51 AM | #77
Everything they are doing to the game has no support behind it. All the talk about arenas and I'd swear they are dead.
Their only concern is bring in new players to get caught up in the cash shop.

DarthSpiriah
11.25.2013 , 11:55 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

Thank you for continuing to report on the issue. Just to reiterate, we are actively looking through our matchmaking to ensure that there aren't any erroneous bugs causing these mismatches to happen. I will report back should we find anything!

Thanks.

-eric
Is there such a thing as a non-erroneous bug? :P

Anyway, we appreciate that you're looking into it.

Skondy
11.25.2013 , 12:34 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks.

-eric
Perhaps it's not a bug. Is the system designed to put together players with similar ratings onto a team? And then match that team up against another team? If so, then what you'd get is exactly what players are experiencing. Two teams with similar internal ratings, but vastly different ratings from the other team.

Also: please implement cross-server queue'ing. The game's population cannot support the current system.
<Interdictor>
Docile Honeybadger
This... is the Honey Badger

Capt_Beers
11.25.2013 , 12:39 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Skondy View Post
Perhaps it's not a bug. Is the system designed to put together players with similar ratings onto a team? And then match that team up against another team? If so, then what you'd get is exactly what players are experiencing. Two teams with similar internal ratings, but vastly different ratings from the other team.

Also: please implement cross-server queue'ing. The game's population cannot support the current system.
That sounds like what is happening. You are being grouped with players that have the same rating for your team but not for the team you are facing.

They have already said cross-server is not happening. Engine can't do it.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics