Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Gunship Class Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Gunship Class Starfighter
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
11.22.2013 , 03:44 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Designer Chris Schmidt reveals more about the powerful Gunship Class from Galactic Starfighter.

Read More
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Iwipe
11.22.2013 , 04:10 PM | #2
Great summary of the psychological impact of the gunship. Now add in some dampening sensors for maximum terror :P

ZayneDraay
11.22.2013 , 04:21 PM | #3
From the sound of it, the gunship is a scary ship to fight. Unfortunately, that sort of "sit still" tactic is not my kinda thing. I'm sure a lot of Ranged DPS will like it though.
"Those who know me by reputation say I am a creature of the cold darkness, a monster if you will. Now you too shall fear me." - Darth Crios, lord of icy wrath

paowee
11.22.2013 , 06:07 PM | #4
Quote:
Enemies are hit with instant panic when they see a Gunship charging up her railgun.
This is so true. Initial reaction of people hit by a railgun is spaceboost away. Unless he finds a good hiding spot, expect a second final shot from the gunship
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

warstory
11.23.2013 , 01:25 AM | #5
i am one of those players that want a challenge so this will probably be my ship of choice. I hope the ability to escape is as good as u say for this ship because it will be hard to shake small ships especially if u can drift like jtl. missle lock beetter be quick too.
"Surely you know I could kill you just as easily with my lightsaber as I could with the force "

Mad_yojik
11.23.2013 , 01:50 AM | #6
Seems to be fine ship to fly... The imperial one looks like pretty missile-oriented by design, not railgun

snowmon
11.23.2013 , 06:59 AM | #7
my question is are we going to be using fleet tokens for this update or can i just waste them on junk?
lvl 55 PT DPS, ToFN Server

bionamaster
11.23.2013 , 10:50 AM | #8
Will the Gunship have access to normal blaster cannons as well, or just Railguns? No matter what, though, sounds like a lot of fun!
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

AlrikFassbauer
11.23.2013 , 11:52 AM | #9
Spontaneous thoughs upon reading the Gunship's description :

"Gunship = Sniper = OP"

Uh, and the designer doesn't even tell me how to fight this beast ?

The only option one has is to hit it while it is in its "sitting duck" firing mode ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Surbatu View Post
When everybody plays one class = perfect balance. Right? Problem solved.

AMightyKnight
11.23.2013 , 01:57 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by snowmon View Post
my question is are we going to be using fleet tokens for this update or can i just waste them on junk?
Last weekend it was available for 2500 Fleet Reqs on the PTS but it has been removed since, so its anybodies guess when and how it will be obtainable on live.

Quote: Originally Posted by bionamaster View Post
Will the Gunship have access to normal blaster cannons as well, or just Railguns? No matter what, though, sounds like a lot of fun!
Its equiped with normal blasters as well. You're basically trading missiles for railguns.

Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Spontaneous thoughs upon reading the Gunship's description :

"Gunship = Sniper = OP"

Uh, and the designer doesn't even tell me how to fight this beast ?

The only option one has is to hit it while it is in its "sitting duck" firing mode ...
You are not wrong about opness Skilled players with Gunships do very, very well on the PTS atm, getting many kills fairly easily. The are some who say its somewhat overpowered.
But you can fight and defeat it.
The biggest problem is to spot the damn thing, especially if it uses sensor dampening. So use a sensor augmented Scout against them. If you spot one, try to sneak up on it as fast as possible, surprising the opponent when he is busy sniping someone else. Use your speed to your advantage by going in for a zero/zero intercept at maximum velocity. Dont open up to soon or light it up with missiles. Just blast the damn thing at midrange with rapid laser canons and rocket pods. Its hard to kill in completely in one pass since it has strong shields but your turnrate is much better and it cant run away from you either. Just remain close, if he gets some distance between you and him you will end up eating a railgun shot.
Benaiah Abihail Ahdino
Gladio vivere, fusil perire!
T3M4 ~ German PvE ~ Referral Link ~