Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Solo Que Matchmaking has a Serious Flaw - Data Inside

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Solo Que Matchmaking has a Serious Flaw - Data Inside
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Skolops
11.21.2013 , 02:31 AM | #1
As anyone who has qued many solo arenas knows, far too often teams come out grossly mismatched. Sometimes this happens by means of composition - such as when a team of 4 ranged is put against a team of 4 melee when they could simply be split up. However, what may be far more problematic is when game after game after game you get a weaker team, while your opponent is clearly stronger.

Here is one example of such a game: http://imgur.com/DvmuwzR

If we consider the ratings at the time of this game, we find this:

Count-Crochula - 2045
Somnax - 1874
Rayste - 1376
Kruth - 1282

Gaurex - 1283
Blackness - 1222
Acliptic - 1223
Nazra - 1475

Even on the surface looking at this you can see that one team is stacked and the other is significantly weaker. If we average them out, we see that one team has an average rating of 1300.75, whereas the other is averaging 1644.25.

Now if this were late at night and Imperial versus Republic and these were the only two teams available, then this would be a necessary evil. However, this was an Imperial versus Imperial match. Swapping either the two healers or Somnax with any DPS would have evened things out.

Moreover, this happens all the time; this is only one example.

This is a very large problem which is not only making games less fun and competitive, but is creating a vicious cycle of getting caught in lower brackets for some. It should be a top priority to correct.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

RelXikBri
11.21.2013 , 04:53 AM | #2
The solo matchmaking system in this game is utter dog**** and is a reason why the developers of this game need to be replaced. In no world other than one of pure unadulterated frustration should players truly be randomly matchmade for ranked games. In no world should a team of 1100s be going against a team of 2000s and still lose even a single rating point for it. In no world should that team of 1100 beat a team of 2000s (by some miracle) and only gain 20 rating.

The lack of 2s, 3s, or even cooperative ques in this so called "Arena ladder" is so beyond broken that I can't really even justify wasting my time with it anymore.

If you are not a vanguard/pt with a broken hybrid spec, or an operative healer, you cannot begin to carry the amount of garbage that enters these games.

Players who do 11k damage overall, in dps spec, players who dont heal, players who just stand there and die.

You don't give me 2s, and 4v4 is a lesson in misery as only one real team comp will ever que.

Who thought this would be a good idea? They need to be slapped.

I cannot wait for Warlords of Draenor to launch with an actually realized and balanced PVP ladder. Say what you want about WoW's PVP but even if you shamelessly copied their ranking system you'd have a better solution than the garbage that took the ToR team 2 years to cook up.

I'm a very good shadow, a "Regstar" if you will. I can put out 250k damage and 70k protection in a game easily. But there is no way to compensate for the unbelievable stupidity that you get when quing in this game. There is no *********** reason it should exist in such a way.

Yeochins
11.21.2013 , 05:24 AM | #3
I'm not particularly surprised.

Bioware's developers have proven themselves inept over and over again. Match-making is not a trivial problem - proper matchmaking involves graph-theory and a little knowledge about scheduling to prevent starvation (one player from never getting matched).

I would not trust Bioware's developers to implement such a complex system correctly.

Phyrelle
11.21.2013 , 06:59 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by relxikbri View Post
the solo matchmaking system in this game is utter dog**** and is a reason why the developers of this game need to be replaced. In no world other than one of pure unadulterated frustration should players truly be randomly matchmade for ranked games. In no world should a team of 1100s be going against a team of 2000s and still lose even a single rating point for it. In no world should that team of 1100 beat a team of 2000s (by some miracle) and only gain 20 rating.

The lack of 2s, 3s, or even cooperative ques in this so called "arena ladder" is so beyond broken that i can't really even justify wasting my time with it anymore.

If you are not a vanguard/pt with a broken hybrid spec, or an operative healer, you cannot begin to carry the amount of garbage that enters these games.

Players who do 11k damage overall, in dps spec, players who dont heal, players who just stand there and die.

You don't give me 2s, and 4v4 is a lesson in misery as only one real team comp will ever que.

Who thought this would be a good idea? They need to be slapped.

I cannot wait for warlords of draenor to launch with an actually realized and balanced pvp ladder. Say what you want about wow's pvp but even if you shamelessly copied their ranking system you'd have a better solution than the garbage that took the tor team 2 years to cook up.

I'm a very good shadow, a "regstar" if you will. I can put out 250k damage and 70k protection in a game easily. But there is no way to compensate for the unbelievable stupidity that you get when quing in this game. There is no *********** reason it should exist in such a way.
quote all

Lundorff
11.21.2013 , 07:27 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by RelXikBri View Post
The solo matchmaking system in this game is utter dog**** [...]
And that is why we need cross server queues. There is so much potential for balanced PVP in this game if only the entire player pool were connected. But yeah, not gonna happen, and so I will stick to unranked. Besides I much prefer warzones to arena so...

Xtrr
11.21.2013 , 09:10 AM | #6
bumping this thread because bioware has no idea what ELO is and still just throw 4 random ppl in a WZ i do admit it takes longer the higher soloQ rating you have but you also get matched with a lot better players when your higher thus is the fast track to high rating.

JeffrenBrek
11.21.2013 , 09:15 AM | #7
I find yolo queue highly amusing.

Glower
11.21.2013 , 09:16 AM | #8
1700 vs 1100-1200
Ofc you can win. Just L2P and H2F!
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Glower
11.21.2013 , 09:17 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Xtrr View Post
bumping this thread because bioware has no idea what ELO is and still just throw 4 random ppl in a WZ i do admit it takes longer the higher soloQ rating you have but you also get matched with a lot better players when your higher thus is the fast track to high rating.
^this
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

TonyDragonflame
11.21.2013 , 09:50 AM | #10
There is no any ELO in this matchmaking system. Its just one team of randoms vs other team of randoms.
Referral link!
Guardian v 100 | Sent v 95 | Vang v 92 | Scoundrel v 91 | Shadow v 86 | Guns v 80 | Jugg v 68
Manhunter 180+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN