[Guide] Sage DPS (TK + Balance) 2.0+

Nibbon

Oh you'r name is Ktap here. i should edit the post then to Ktap-Sage-Severity for the parse. If you can fraps a video that would be awesome!

@video, yeah haha but it does a good job at showcasing the abilities and cool sage animations :D

Here you go -

Made at least 1 mistake, but it was later in the parse and you're just after the rotation I think ;)

Edited by KTap

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow the jedi ship looks nice! O__O;

Was watching the vid and i notice you do the "alternative rotation" i put in the guide as well. What i saw was you did not refresh WM as soon as it wore off and did disturbance spam instead. 1 GCD befoer Turbulence comes back up is when you cast WM.

I think this is a good way to deal with confusing DoT management (and what i was also doing on my sorc before defecting to pub side ) :) ... because if you try to keep WM up everytime is up, it really won't align with Turbulence unless you use WM just before the first Tturbulence in the rotation. It's definitely better than always watching the debuff bar and applying it eveytime it wears off (if you striclty follow a priority list instead).

Here is the updated TK Sage guide http://swtorboard.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/telekinetic-sage/

Thanks for the vid and put you up as contributor! :o

Edited by paowee

Wow the jedi ship looks nice! O__O;

Was watching the vid and i notice you do the "alternative rotation" i put in the guide as well. What i saw was you did not refresh WM as soon as it wore off and did disturbance spam instead. 1 GCD befoer Turbulence comes back up is when you cast WM.

I think this is a good way to deal with confusing DoT management (and what i was also doing on my sorc before defecting to pub side ) :) ... because if you try to keep WM up everytime is up, it really won't align with unless you use WM just before the first turbulence in the rotation. It's definitely better than always watching the debuff bar and applying it eveytime it wears off (if you striclty follow a priority list instead).

Here is the updated TK Sage guide http://swtorboard.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/telekinetic-sage/

Thanks for the vid and put you up as contributor! :o

You're welcome :p Your site looks good btw :cool:

I've posted a few places that I don't keep WM up at all times. I get 2 Turbulence per WM, every time.

I also run way more crit rating than suggested, fluctuating between 170-240.

Also... can't stand SA relics (always going off at the worst possible time, etc) and currently use Boundless Ages with an Elemental Transcendence damage proc. I will probably be using Boundless Ages and either Primeval Fatesealer, Devastating Vengeance or maybe even Focused Retribution once I get some from the new ops.

These all work well for me. They might not be ideal on a spreadsheet, but I definitely carry my weight in an op.

Edited by KTap

Any parse without gear info doesnt make any sence. What gear was used to parse or MH is important. DPS will go up once people parse with fully 78 gear or get better gear.

If you look at the DPS Leaderboards, Handcuff is top Sorc DPS submitted at 3200 and his gear is almost entirely 78's with some 75's mixed in. It is hard to believe that anyone can be much higher than that yet, although people will be in full 78's in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure Handcuff has been on leaderboards before and is an excellent player making the 3400 dps by sjerv very impressive but also lucky. What made Sjerv's parse so absurdly high though was the 50% crit chance on chain lightning as paowee stated. Thats incredible luck being 21% higher than his average which is skewed already by thundering blast being an auto crit.

I don't think anyone is going to top that sorc parse very soon but we'll see, I highly doubt he was wearing enough crit to have a 32% crit chance, especially with Thundering blast hitting for over 10k with an adrenal up.

Handcuff's Gear

Edited by campbellsoup

Here you go KTap lol. Check out the intro :p

Front page of the site has been updated to direct to your youtube video as well!

I like the video. I might change up my rotation a little bit to use Affliction to get 2x Thundering blast's. Lately with how many new ops have multiple targets I'll sometimes double dot and find myself getting more Force Lightning procs unless something had to be burnt down immediately. I'll direct a guildy who's been having trouble with the spec to the video though, it seems like the spec is becoming rather popular which is nice.

I like the video. I might change up my rotation a little bit to use Affliction to get 2x Thundering blast's. Lately with how many new ops have multiple targets I'll sometimes double dot and find myself getting more Force Lightning procs unless something had to be burnt down immediately. I'll direct a guildy who's been having trouble with the spec to the video though, it seems like the spec is becoming rather popular which is nice.

Yes! We need more people to popularize any DPS that is not a sniper or marauder! Heck even marauders are losing their *touch*. We see a lot of snipers/slingers now due to the fact that they are ranged and don't have the limitations of being melee. That and the fact that Bloodthirst is going to have (still on the PTS) a debuff that prevents it from being used one after the other.

As far as Aff = 2x TB, that is definitely a better way to keep track of your rotation rather than just refreshing the DoT everytime it comes off. It's a good "marker" since you now know you need to do 2 TB's before having to refresh the DoT again (1 GCD before TB comes off cd)

Edited by paowee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, I have stepped away from the game. It has been, probably, a few months since I logged into either the game or the forums. No particular reason except I felt I was done with the game.

This isn't meant to be a goodbye thread, I never really made one anywhere. I just thought that I ought to let you all know, especially if the class rep thing starts back up - that I won't be participating in it. I think ktap would be the best person to take over for it if he were up for it, Milas and Orderkin are good choices too - but I haven't been around lately to know if they are still around as well (I'm prob forgetting some people).

So as you may guess, I won't be updating the OP anymore. If someone would like the code to start it up again and update it, send me a PM. I think Paowee's website is great, otherwise. The google docs that I use are still linked and active, so feel free to play around with those at any time.

Best of luck to everyone,

Nibbon

From my PMs

Liar =D (Yes I know that PM is from August)

Have fun with whatever you do.

woops ;p

Yeah, back in August I thought I'd play more casually. I didn't realize once I stopped raid leading and such that I'd just completely stop playing.

Currently playing LoL and will probably try out EQN.

Really sucks to see that you're leaving, Nibbon, but I totally understand. On behalf of the community, Thanks a ton for everything you've done for us. Your guides are absolutely indispensable and will remain the gold standard for a long time to come. As someone who's played a DPS sage since Day 1, you've really made my game experience MUCH better.

Good luck, sir! Hopefully you'll be back after a refreshing break with another game. :)

I will update the actual guide later - but for those wondering these are my prelim results for the new tier:

TK: 4 surge, 2 alacrity, 4 accuracy, 61 crit (so, one mod/enhancement worth)

Sage: 4 surge, 2 alacrity, 4 accuracy, 185 crit

so i get lost, at dread forged tier how many critical rating do we need for a tk sage?? 61 or 185?

Edited by Kalid-ei

61. The other one is for balance.

On that topic, I'm currently aiming for 4 surge, 1 alacrity and 5 accuracy as balance. I find that with second alacrity enhancement FiB and Mind Crush come off cooldown half a GCD too late so I'm stuck using another ability to fill in (to the point where it's sometimes a dps decrease). Fifth surge item doesn't offer much either and while 5th accuracy brings me over 110%, it's still better than the other two. I agree about crit, 150-200 points of it are better than the same amount of power.

Hi.. have a few questions. What relics do you guys use especially with the coming changes to the FR? I have enough to buy an Obroan PVP relic but don't know which one to get. PVP SA or PVP FS? When they buff PVE FR in 2.5 that should be a good dps relic, so

1) PVE FS

2) PVP (what relic do you guys recommend)?

ot: handcuff my sage just got to 55. TK is so <3

Edited by paowee

Hi.. have a few questions. What relics do you guys use especially with the coming changes to the FR? I have enough to buy an Obroan PVP relic but don't know which one to get. PVP SA or PVP FS? When they buff PVE FR in 2.5 that should be a good dps relic, so

1) PVE FS

2) PVP (what relic do you guys recommend)?

ot: handcuff my sage just got to 55. TK is so <3

It's hard to say, but basically the FR isn't quite as good as it may appear although it still has a slight edge on the SA. The problem is that once you're in full 78s, the crit gained by WP actually starts hitting DR based on Orderken's healing calculations. In his calculations, the FR only showed up as 0.68% better than the SA relic, so its safe to just go with a SA for now although these numbers probably vary by spec. I'm personally holding off for now, because knowing bioware's track record, the relics may not be what they appear and I have an unassembled DF relic sitting in my inventory until then.

For PVP relics, I think that they were unchanged though so the SA is probably the safest bet if you plan on running with an obroan. The DF relics are getting buffed though so there will be a larger gap between obroan and DF.

If you want to see Orderken's work yourself, you can access it here.

EDIT: Btw Paowee, if you ever want to add healing guides to your site, his would be an excellent reference for sorc heals. It must be a ton of work getting them formatted though and I'm sure you have your hands full already :D.

Edited by campbellsoup

It's hard to say, but basically the FR isn't quite as good as it may appear although it still has a slight edge on the SA. The problem is that once you're in full 78s, the crit gained by WP actually starts hitting DR based on Orderken's healing calculations. In his calculations, the FR only showed up as 0.68% better than the SA relic, so its safe to just go with a SA for now although these numbers probably vary by spec. I'm personally holding off for now, because knowing bioware's track record, the relics may not be what they appear and I have an unassembled DF relic sitting in my inventory until then.

For PVP relics, I think that they were unchanged though so the SA is probably the safest bet if you plan on running with an obroan. The DF relics are getting buffed though so there will be a larger gap between obroan and DF.

If you want to see Orderken's work yourself, you can access it here.

EDIT: Btw Paowee, if you ever want to add healing guides to your site, his would be an excellent reference for sorc heals. It must be a ton of work getting them formatted though and I'm sure you have your hands full already :D.

Anyone else recommend it? If so sure i'll put it in when i get the time :D Have sentinel/operative (not mine) pending at the moment due to the holidays and with starfighter coming out... >_<