Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Swtor cinematics were better than the SW movies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Swtor cinematics were better than the SW movies

banehammer's Avatar


banehammer
11.12.2013 , 05:14 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Macetheace View Post
and i feel the same about force unleashed. or am i the only one that feels that?

Look at the fight scenes and some of the scenery.. that Alderaan invasion.. both before invasion and after looked more amazing than anything I'd seen on star wars, although Coruscant was pretty amazing on Star Wars.

you never see coruscant in ep 4-6 right? Oh Bioware..what happened? This game was on the brink of epic greatness.. maybe you should go into a TV series based in the old republic.. that sort of artwork was so impressive.
Totally agree. The cinematics were all amazing.
I really hope they make more, it really gets people into the game (Though I accept they cost alotta $$$).

When you say the game was on the brink of epic greatness I think people sometimes get lost in to MMO side, gearing, WZ's Ops etc, and forget about the levelling experience through the planets and watch the class stories unfold.

Best game I've ever played.
Endoor | Guardian Grenade wielding Jedi
Tokkugawa | Vanguard Bioanalyst face melter
Blasttor | Scoundrel Space pirates do it from behind
Predattor | Mercenary Mandalore would be lucky to have me

MillionsKNives's Avatar


MillionsKNives
11.12.2013 , 05:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
You will probably never see that kind of action in games. The fight sequences for the trailers are all choreographed fights. They are designed so one end of one stunt flows into the next, however the order is set. In a videogame the player is going to do whatever they want, you can't have choreographed fight moves. Like back flipped over Malgus's head. That can't be a game ability because what if the player is fighting someone next to a wall or under a bridge?


Money isn't the issue time is. Lets say you want a shot of a laser blowing out the center of a tree. For standard on location filming its easy, just take a tree bore a hole in it, put in some explosive, record shot of explosion, draw laser over the footage.
In CGI they have to first create the entire tree, then they have to create each little splinter create a algorithm for the explosion itself. Then they have to figure out how to make all those shards explode out in a realistic manner. Oh and the leaves on the tree...do you realize how much of a nightmare stuff blowing in the wind is for CGI?
It takes to much time over conventional means. SWTOR's art team probably spent as much time doing the cinematics has a it takes to film a standard TV episode, and swtor's cinematics are only 5 mins long...
The videos were outsourced, see above. Also with a sufficiently well designed physics simulation, something like a tree explosion is pretty easy. Take a look at some of the new Unreal Engine demos, or other tech demos that feature level/object destruction.

Also, take a look at this video from LucasArts. It shows how creating good CGI is becoming easier and easier. Something like the trailers however would still take a good deal of work, and I'm not sure it would be easy enough yet to put out that quality quick enough to sustain a TV show.

Apophis_'s Avatar


Apophis_
11.12.2013 , 07:24 PM | #13
If you guys are looking for CGI Star Wars, you should watch The Clone Wars. Yeah, first seasons are wooden, but the evolution of the visuals (and script and everything) is AMAZING. For example look at this fight scene, almost as epic as SWTOR trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEu_U78XFg4

And they are making new show called Star Wars Rebels (release set to Fall 2014) and I'm sure it will look even better.
Three mains: Thimburd (Guardian Tank) | Drobinka (Sage DPS) | Thimi (Scoundrel Healer)
Soulwaker Legacy in <Hoth Beaches> private guild (me + irl friends) on ToFN server
Living Legend, Founder, Wing Commander, S-1 All-Star
I love PvP. I love Star Wars. I love the Old Republic era.

OrumPotte's Avatar


OrumPotte
11.12.2013 , 07:59 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
The videos were outsourced, see above. Also with a sufficiently well designed physics simulation, something like a tree explosion is pretty easy. Take a look at some of the new Unreal Engine demos, or other tech demos that feature level/object destruction.

Also, take a look at this video from LucasArts. It shows how creating good CGI is becoming easier and easier. Something like the trailers however would still take a good deal of work, and I'm not sure it would be easy enough yet to put out that quality quick enough to sustain a TV show.
This is basically the same technology used to film Avatar - i was hoping they would take advantage of what was done with that movie.
"Success is when preperation meets opportunity.."

Apophis_'s Avatar


Apophis_
11.12.2013 , 08:18 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by OrumPotte View Post
This is basically the same technology used to film Avatar - i was hoping they would take advantage of what was done with that movie.
Really? How? It's not the same. Lucasfilm is rendering scenes in REAL LIFE, Avatar needed A LOT of post-production.
Three mains: Thimburd (Guardian Tank) | Drobinka (Sage DPS) | Thimi (Scoundrel Healer)
Soulwaker Legacy in <Hoth Beaches> private guild (me + irl friends) on ToFN server
Living Legend, Founder, Wing Commander, S-1 All-Star
I love PvP. I love Star Wars. I love the Old Republic era.

OrumPotte's Avatar


OrumPotte
11.12.2013 , 09:09 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Apophis_ View Post
Really? How? It's not the same. Lucasfilm is rendering scenes in REAL LIFE, Avatar needed A LOT of post-production.
Certainly, rendering in real time is new - to an extent - but the concept was the same.

Actors in suites were filmed acting out the scenes on a sounds stage (including filming facial expressions with a camera mounted on a mini boom in front of their face) which was captured in a computer during filming duplicating human movement both of the body and facial expressions exactly.

They had computers on stage so they could see what they filmed rendered in CGI on the spot. The environment on the computer was not perfected, and you are right there was a lot of post production to refine the world they created - but they did have an idea immediately after filming if they had captured what they wanted by viewing the computers . It was an incredible technology that actually delayed the film a while because it took them some time to perfect it.

I'm not trying to diminish what lucasarts is doing, just saying its an extension of the same technology.
"Success is when preperation meets opportunity.."

Projawa's Avatar


Projawa
11.12.2013 , 09:20 PM | #17
Here's a cool behind the scenes look at the Return trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzU68DEPw1w

Nickious's Avatar


Nickious
11.12.2013 , 09:28 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Projawa View Post
Here's a cool behind the scenes look at the Return trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzU68DEPw1w
I didn't know people did that for real. That most have been epic to watch in person.

avatarearth's Avatar


avatarearth
02.28.2014 , 11:50 AM | #19
i just want a cinematic about the dread masters actions..........wow i really want that, the dread masters power combined with the swtor cinematic awesomness...........yea....

chuuuuucky's Avatar


chuuuuucky
02.28.2014 , 02:55 PM | #20
I don't think they are better. They are like trailers. Trailers are most of the time more interesting than the movie itself because that's what they are made for. They show you what you can look foreward to and that packed into a few minutes.
If you make a action trailer with the scenes from the star wars movies i am shure you will get better results.
The one trailers i really like though is the one with the smuggler because it has more to it than just action.
And i am shure, and this is something we should look foreward to, that we will be able to play games that come close to the dramaturgy and quality of the trailers of todeay. VR, better graphics better AI and physics. I hope the star wars ip is ready when the next big leap in gaming will be done and i think we are closer to it than we can imagine.