Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Slicing] Chance of crit bugged??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Slicing] Chance of crit bugged??

wainot-keel
10.25.2013 , 10:37 AM | #21
I've ran 57 Unsliceable missions in the last 10 days or so.... crit rate with those is 17.xx %

How much was the base crit chance for a yellow mission ? Or difficulty level only mattered for the chance to fail ? I don't remember now

In any case, Andronikos is the worst slicer ever. No crits and 3 out of 4 fails were his. My Sith is very, very disappointed with him.

psandak
10.25.2013 , 11:45 AM | #22
In the last four days I have run missions for gathering and mission skills:

- Bountiful: 102 total missions:19 crits:6 failures = 18.63% crit rate & 5.88% fail rate
- Rich: 111 total missions:20 crits:10 failures = 18.02% crit rate & 9.01% fail rate
- moderate (vendor crafting materials): 25 total missions: 9 crits: 0 failures = 36% crit rate

Slicing:
- 13 Unsliceable?:4 crits:0 failures = 30.77% crit rate
- 11 WTW:3 crits:0 failures = 27.27% crit rate.

psandak
10.28.2013 , 06:36 PM | #23
So I have been tracking for about a week now:

Overall: 397 missions 73 crits 25 failures + 306 crafting "assignments" with 62 crits
As a function of percentage:
  • 18.39% crit rate on missions
  • 6.30% failure rate on missions
  • 20.26% crit rate on crafting

212 missions were run by companions with no applicable skill bonus, 36 were crits (crit rate: 16.98%)
124 missions were run by companions with an efficiency bonus of some sort (5 or 10), 22 were crits (crit rate: 17.74%)
61 missions were run by companions with a crit bonus of some sort (1 or 2), 15 were crits (crit rate: 24.59%)

Bountiful Missions: 171 missions 31 crits 10 failures
  • 18.13% crit rate
  • 5.85% failure rate

Rich Missions: 178 missions 29 crits 15 failures
  • 16.29% crit rate
  • 8.43% failure rate

Gathering Missions (crew skills: Arch, BA, Scav): 197 missions 34 crits 16 failures
  • 17.26% crit rate
  • 8.12% failure rate

Mission Skill Missions (crew skills: Slicing, UT, Dip, Inv, TH): 200 missions, 39 crits, 9 failures
  • 19.50% crit rate
  • 4.50% failure rate

Slicing Specific (to be on topic ): 56 missions 13 crits 1 failure
Unsliceable: 16 missions 5 crits 0 failures
WTW: 15 missions 4 crits 0 failures
Lockboxes: 24 missions 4 crits 1 failure
  • average credits/lockbox: 2789
  • discovered missions: 2TH, 1arch, 1inv

Now we just need about a thousand more players like me to do similar tracking and we will have ourselves a reasonable sample that we can draw real conclusions from .

morfius
10.31.2013 , 10:00 AM | #24
As I said - same color at 450.
Don't have a nerve to wrote it down but from 8 slicers - most runs 1 or 2 crits, rare 3, ultra rare 4 (seen only once), rare 0 ... 1 of them sometime fails, rare 2.
Unclicible only.
Tried to send 2nd one on Bountiful lockboxes... less crits than from Unclicible - above 90% Investigation (have plenty of mats for it) 4 Diplomacy, 1 TH
Dropped like it's Hoth
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

sumoftwosins
11.06.2013 , 09:49 AM | #25
I use Andronikos, 10k affection, 3% character perk increase. As soon as I was 450, I ran 24 Unsliceable missions over a span of 4 days without returning a single crit. The 25th - 28th missions were all crits. The following 9 missions haven't crit. Still collecting data.

The most interesting thing that I have noticed is that when I crit, I am actually online with that character. Since it is my alt, I usually just log on long enough to start missions, hit GTN, and craft. I doubt that should cause any change to crit chance... I just thought it was odd.

I do know that I crit about the same on my UT and TH missions. I would love to just see the code for crit chance. Even on RE's I can go 15 - 20 times without learning and then all of a sudden there will be 3 or 4 successful RE's.

Also does the character perk only apply to crafting? I was never sure if that helped missions or RE.
Jedi Cov.
Khadan - 55 JUGG / Kyliss - 55 MARA / Khasin - 55 SIN
Khyuss - 55 Guard / Khalen - 55 MERC / Krysis - 55 OP
"The H Is Silient"

DarthStinson
11.06.2013 , 12:31 PM | #26
So, I saw this thread a couple weeks ago and decided I'd check to see what kind of results I would get if I ran a bunch of Slicing missions. I've loved this crew skill since just shortly after launch (too bad for the nerf...making credits hand over fist!!) so I'm always interested in better understanding this awesome gathering skill. Here's what I came up with:

BACKGROUND

- All missions run/documented were Slicing missions @ 450 Slicing
- Total of 21 full rounds of mission deployment
- All characters have Legacy of Crafting Level 3
- Missions run over the course of approximately two weeks
- No real rhyme/reason to specific time companions were sent out; very random
- All companions performed the same Slicing mission each time consecutively
- Companions were selected for missions based upon individual bonuses, then affection level
  • Companions with +Slicing bonuses were given “Unsliceable”
  • Highest Affection non-Slicing companions were given “Watching the Watchdogs”
- All missions were executed from the character’s ship
- All missions were run then character logged off; never stayed logged in with character during missions

Total # of Slicing Missions Run: 546
  • “Unsliceable” (“US”): 273
  • “Watching the Watchdogs”(“WW”): 273

Total Number of Characters Running Missions: 13
  • Agent: 1
  • Bounty Hunter: 2
  • Consular: 0
  • Inquisitor: 2
  • Knight: 3
  • Smuggler: 1
  • Trooper: 1
  • Warrior: 3

# of Companions at 10,000 Affection: 17/26
Lowest Companion Affection: 9291
Average Companion Affection: 9890

RESULTS

Total # of Critical Successes: 102/546 = 18.7%
  • # of “US” Critical Successes: 57/273 = 20.9%
  • # of “WW” Critical Successes: 45/273 = 16.5%

Total # of Critical Failures: 37/546 = 6.8%
  • # of “US” Critical Failures: 17/273 = 6.2%
  • # of “WW” Critical Failures: 20/273 = 7.3%

Total # of Thermal Regulators Acquired: 320
Total Gross Cost for Missions: 2,084,355 credits
Total Net Cost for Missions: 1,650,995 credits
  • Adjusted for vendoring of all Bio-Mechanical Interface Chips & Augment Schematics
Total Cost per Thermal Regulator: 5,159.4 credits/ea
  • Calculated using Net Cost

DISCUSSION

Based upon numbers reported by others regarding critical success rates, it looks like I experienced a similar rate (~17-20%). However, it was interesting in that several characters carried more of the load for success, compensating for lower rates from other characters. For example, despite having a +Slicing trait on SCORPIO, my Agent saw only 1 critical success across 21 rounds of deployment for the droid with 1 critical failure as well. Ensign Temple was a huge disappointment with only 1 critical success to 5 failures. Compare that with Sentinel #2 who had T7 (also a +Slicing companion) that experienced 8 critical successes without a single critical failure. C2 on the same character had 4 critical success with 1 failure. All four companions across these two characters were at 10,000 affection. Sentinel #1 also saw a great deal of success with 7 critical successes (5 were T7) and no failures. The Guardian didn’t fair quite as well overall having 8 critical successes (5 were T7) but 5 failures (1 was T7).

“US” appeared to see more success overall than “WW” did, with more critical successes and less failures. However, the difference wasn’t glaring and given the small sample size, no solid conclusions can be drawn from the finding without more data.

CONCLUSION

I don’t think anything is necessarily wrong with the critical success rate for Slicing and the acquisition of Thermal Regulators (a far cry from 2.0’s launch). While having affection maxed out, purchasing Legacy of Crafting perks and utilizing companions with +Slicing bonuses certainly can help boost chances at criticals, it by no means guarantees any level of success. (My Agent has jettisoned his entire crew out the escape hatch over Denova and is currently in the process of hiring new staff.) The only way I see to improve your chances is to pray that the RNG gods/goddesses smile upon you. Perhaps /yell something to the effect of “Oh, deities of RNG, I offer up these human/alien/cyborg sacrifices to you for your Slicing favor!” at the start of every PVP match?
PANDAMONIUM
The Shadowlands - Empire
Website / Application

Evilnessme
11.06.2013 , 02:47 PM | #27
I think it may have something to do with the toon you are using.
For example, I have a higher chance off getting TRs from my BH than I do on my Sage. On My smuggler, I hardly ever get them. Mako and HK big back the best results on my BH.
Strange but thats my two cents

Nazdika
11.09.2013 , 08:12 AM | #28
Statistically speaking, a sample size below say 500 is not worth reading, sorry guys and gals. Statistically close to accurate data you get with sample sizes of 2'000+. That is the rule of thumb in market research, and science. Both fields do know a thing or two about statistics. (OK, some think sample size = 200 is already worth their time. And just for info, smaller sample sizes can be taken together in what we call a "meta-analysis". But that is tricky since conditions often differ. Just saying, do keep posting those super small samples, they are not useless. Just do not tell much by themselves.)

I am keeping track of missions of different skills since months. For me, TR are completely normal. Granted, I have the bad luck spell of 20+ missions without getting any, as well (unsliceable, +2 crit, 10K affection, 3+ per day with few exceptions). A trained statistician will notice the pot boiling even when he watches though Many many times does it crit in very low numbers of runs, which will set off many bad luck spells.

I have only incomplete data pre-2.0 though. So that I do not know Was not the OPs point though, if I read it correctly.

psandak
11.10.2013 , 05:45 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Nazdika View Post
Statistically speaking, a sample size below say 500 is not worth reading, sorry guys and gals. Statistically close to accurate data you get with sample sizes of 2'000+. That is the rule of thumb in market research, and science. Both fields do know a thing or two about statistics. (OK, some think sample size = 200 is already worth their time. And just for info, smaller sample sizes can be taken together in what we call a "meta-analysis". But that is tricky since conditions often differ. Just saying, do keep posting those super small samples, they are not useless. Just do not tell much by themselves.)

I am keeping track of missions of different skills since months. For me, TR are completely normal. Granted, I have the bad luck spell of 20+ missions without getting any, as well (unsliceable, +2 crit, 10K affection, 3+ per day with few exceptions). A trained statistician will notice the pot boiling even when he watches though Many many times does it crit in very low numbers of runs, which will set off many bad luck spells.

I have only incomplete data pre-2.0 though. So that I do not know Was not the OPs point though, if I read it correctly.
I agree with everything you've said. And my original plan was to get about 2000 points of data. And I got close to 1300 total companion events (missions and crafting), but I realized that tracking all that data was detracting from my enjoyment of the game so I stopped (half way through the second week and into the third, I was signing on MAYBE once a day, once I stopped collecting data my routine of at least once in the morning and once at night resumed).

My results are as follows:

total missions run: 717 with 44 failures (6.137%) and 137 crits (19.107%)
mission skills (Slicing, Dip, UT, TH, & Inv): 345 with 17 failures (4.928%) and 78 crits (22.609%)
gathering skills (BA, Scav, & Arch): 372 with 27 failures (7.258% and 59 crits (15.860%)

total crafting events: 579 with 112 crits (19.344%)

total crew skill events: 1296 with 44 failures (3.395% of course one cannot fail to craft) and 249 crits (19.213%)

dancezwithnubz
11.12.2013 , 06:34 PM | #30
my $0.02: i find it much more profitable to run only Rich & Bountiful lockbox missions. Across three characters, i return an average of one or two mission discoveries per rotation.

sadly, most of these seem to be Investigations sheets, but I get a decent amount of worthwhile sheets and don't wind up with mountains of worthless sliced tech parts.