Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swtor cinematics were better than the SW movies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Swtor cinematics were better than the SW movies

Macetheace
11.12.2013 , 10:15 AM | #1
and i feel the same about force unleashed. or am i the only one that feels that?

Look at the fight scenes and some of the scenery.. that Alderaan invasion.. both before invasion and after looked more amazing than anything I'd seen on star wars, although Coruscant was pretty amazing on Star Wars.

you never see coruscant in ep 4-6 right? Oh Bioware..what happened? This game was on the brink of epic greatness.. maybe you should go into a TV series based in the old republic.. that sort of artwork was so impressive.
If it feels wrong, it usually is.

Businesses must act with integrity in all things.

MillionsKNives
11.12.2013 , 10:18 AM | #2
You can thank Blur Studios for those cinematics.

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.12.2013 , 10:18 AM | #3
you canīt possibly refer to the ingame cutscenes, you mean the CGI trailers right?

because I miss some minor side aspect of cinematography in SWTOR cutscenes called -- "camera movement"

Macetheace
11.12.2013 , 10:33 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
you canīt possibly refer to the ingame cutscenes, you mean the CGI trailers right?

because I miss some minor side aspect of cinematography in SWTOR cutscenes called -- "camera movement"
I meant the CGI trailers -- they should really commission a TV series set in the old republic - man with the right writers, it would be a MASSIVE HIT

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.12.2013 , 10:53 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Macetheace View Post
I meant the CGI trailers -- they should really commission a TV series set in the old republic - man with the right writers, it would be a MASSIVE HIT
waaaay to expensive

Lucas was (is?) planning a Star Wars TV series but it is simply too expensive

Zoom_VI
11.12.2013 , 11:37 AM | #6
SWTOR cinematics are better because the SW movies where made in the 70s. Even ep III was made a little under a decade ago, that centuries in CGI development.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

Macetheace
11.12.2013 , 01:51 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
SWTOR cinematics are better because the SW movies where made in the 70s. Even ep III was made a little under a decade ago, that centuries in CGI development.
it's not just the tech.. the fight scenes were pretty cool, and I loved the action fighting in the cinematics,

Zoom_VI
11.12.2013 , 01:55 PM | #8
it's not just the tech.. the fight scenes were pretty cool, and I loved the action fighting in the cinematics,
Fight scenes are directly related to tech. Backflipping through the air with a double ended lightsaber wasnt possible back then. Heck it wasn't until episode three that they finally figured out how to make lightsabers that the actors didn't break every other shoot.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Macetheace
11.12.2013 , 04:25 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Fight scenes are directly related to tech. Backflipping through the air with a double ended lightsaber wasnt possible back then. Heck it wasn't until episode three that they finally figured out how to make lightsabers that the actors didn't break every other shoot.
makes me wonder why we can't have some of those cool moves in-game too.. tbh one of the things that attract me most to a video game or even movies is cool action. translates to animations. Characters need to look good visually, and also move great, fight great..the cooler the animations, the cooler I find a game. it's one of hte mos tattractive elements.

not that I expect it to be soon... anyway.. it's been quite a few years since the trailers for SWTOR...surely that sort of thing has become cheaper now, enough so they can do a series right? Would beat the hell out of Defiance for sure.

Zoom_VI
11.12.2013 , 05:07 PM | #10
makes me wonder why we can't have some of those cool moves in-game too.. tbh one of the things that attract me most to a video game or even movies is cool action. translates to animations. Characters need to look good visually, and also move great, fight great..the cooler the animations, the cooler I find a game. it's one of hte mos tattractive elements.
You will probably never see that kind of action in games. The fight sequences for the trailers are all choreographed fights. They are designed so one end of one stunt flows into the next, however the order is set. In a videogame the player is going to do whatever they want, you can't have choreographed fight moves. Like back flipped over Malgus's head. That can't be a game ability because what if the player is fighting someone next to a wall or under a bridge?

Quote:
not that I expect it to be soon... anyway.. it's been quite a few years since the trailers for SWTOR...surely that sort of thing has become cheaper now, enough so they can do a series right? Would beat the hell out of Defiance for sure.
Money isn't the issue time is. Lets say you want a shot of a laser blowing out the center of a tree. For standard on location filming its easy, just take a tree bore a hole in it, put in some explosive, record shot of explosion, draw laser over the footage.
In CGI they have to first create the entire tree, then they have to create each little splinter create a algorithm for the explosion itself. Then they have to figure out how to make all those shards explode out in a realistic manner. Oh and the leaves on the tree...do you realize how much of a nightmare stuff blowing in the wind is for CGI?
It takes to much time over conventional means. SWTOR's art team probably spent as much time doing the cinematics has a it takes to film a standard TV episode, and swtor's cinematics are only 5 mins long...
Crinn
Trooper Hunter