Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any way to get Story Mode Dread Council tamed just a little?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Any way to get Story Mode Dread Council tamed just a little?

Lord_Noch
11.10.2013 , 11:47 PM | #1
What the title says.

The intention of Story Mode is to teach players the mechanics in a fight that, as long as players were competent, could complete without the need of voice communication. Or so I thought.

That was until I saw this catastrophe of a "story mode" boss fight. While I do enjoy a good challenge, I believe that this, for story mode, is overtuned. Hard Mode Golden Fury (Toborro's Courtyard) looks like a cake walk in comparison to this. This "story mode" boss fight is loaded with hard mode and nightmare mode mechanics that have no place in a story mode op.

This fight needs a nerf, I'd say AT LEAST a 25% - 30% nerf, maybe as much as a 40%. As it is, very few groups are even willing to attempt it, and those that do often throw in the towel. I've always been the last (or one of the last) to quit because I'd like to complete it, hell, I have millions of credits to blow in repairs if need be. The rest of the op is awesome, don't change it. Bestia and Calphayus are pretty much perfect difficulty. Raptus and Tyrans may be slightly too easy considering Bestia is more difficult than they are. The only problem is Dread Council.

All other quests were do-able for casual players in 69 gear without voice communication. Terror from Beyond. Scum and Villainy. Dread Fortress. Why is this one so over the top?

Please solicit ideas from the community to make Dread Council a bit more appropriate for story mode.

Thanks!

Prototypemind
11.11.2013 , 12:02 AM | #2
It certainly has a lot of mechanics. Kiting the red pools, standing to avoid getting knocked off, burning down everyone quickly enough during the throne phase. Actually even the Past/Present/Future fight before that is pretty intense for SM. Nothing of DP/DF really seems designed for you go to into without having good, real-time communication. I'm guessing that's part of the reason that they haven't added them or HM/NiM of TFB and S&V to GF queue as all of them need competent, coordinated groups to tackle.

That said, I really don't think they should be nerfed. The added challenge is great for that very reason: it always makes it feel like a challenge. No matter how geared you become the SM bosses will always be capable of wiping you if you don't deal with them properly. Longer, more intense, more demanding fights give those two Ops replay value.

Bowenator
11.11.2013 , 12:48 AM | #3
You basically already started this thread here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=692091

We get it, story mode is tough for you. It can be tough for the typical unskilled pugs that can run the weeklies in TFB and S&V SM largely ignoring mechanics. Most pugs could not complete Explosive Conflict SM when it first came out, but then it became a joke as it was nerfed beyond all recognition. The same thing will happen with these ops as the newer content comes out.

I'd like to see it remain as-is in SM for the immediate future. If one of the purposes for SM is to prepare you for HM, this fight really does that. It also gives casual groups who are not interested in or capable of completing HM content something worth striving for while not being a complete hand-me-my-title walk in the park.
Bro on Jedi Covenant - confusing your voice chat since 2011
Bro, Bro-curious, Bro-bafett, Bro'backmtn, Bro-lolololol
Bro-biden, Bro-bot, Donthealme-bro, Bro-biwan, Pawpatine

Aiobhill
11.11.2013 , 02:06 AM | #4
This may come as a considerable shock to you, Bro-dude, but the lowest available difficulty in a video game should be tuned for people not trying to make their living solicticing their "video stream", but those making their living outside the wonderful world of slaying pixel dragons.

Darth-Mailman
11.11.2013 , 02:07 AM | #5
I think this fight is perfectly fine as it is...

Once people understand the mechanics it is quite easy.

I can understand that pugs without voice communications will have it harder, but then again, this is the final boss of (basically both) these operations. And the same can be said for the previous operations, the final bosses always were a little more challenging than the rest of the bosses.
Failure is allways an option.

Beslley
11.11.2013 , 02:41 AM | #6
SM is already really easy.

If you're having trouble it's not the fight's fault.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aiobhill View Post
This may come as a considerable shock to you, Bro-dude, but the lowest available difficulty in a video game should be tuned for people not trying to make their living solicticing their "video stream", but those making their living outside the wonderful world of slaying pixel dragons.
Maybe SM Czerka is more your speed. Just because YOU can't kill it means it's overtuned. The world doesn't revolve around you.

If you know the mechanics and can execute them, SM is easy. Remember, it drops ARKANIAN and a few pieces of Underworld, it's not tuned for people in Underworld or higher!
After doing it on HM and later on SM, I was, quite frankly, amused as to how easy it is in comparison. You think SM requires coordination? Oh boy. Just be glad you don't have to do HM.
If you're full arkanian/part UW and still having trouble then run SM TFB/S&V, or HM FPs and buy 72 offpieces with elite comms.
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT

Falver
11.11.2013 , 02:45 AM | #7
I just think you need to have one or two people in the group that can direct people and instruct on how to get it done. Trust me, (almost) every pug can do it, just need the patience and the right guidance to make it happen.
The Harbinger
Claimed - Thirteenth - Falver
<Phobos> is recruiting to fill in multiple raid groups. Apply at http://fearphobos.com/

Justcae
11.11.2013 , 04:30 AM | #8
You can clear 16M story mode with 8 people and have it be easier than 8M HM.

True story. That's how easy the current SM is.

AlrikFassbauer
11.11.2013 , 08:45 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Beslley View Post
SM is already really easy.
No, it isn't.

Only if you are a "Pro" and are overgeared, too.

It is easy only if you have 69+ gear.
Beneath that, it's horrible, imho. I had quite a lot of problems there, and I had only 2-3 pieces of 69 gear, everything else was around 60+ (roughly from my memory).
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Never_Hesitate
11.11.2013 , 08:58 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
No, it isn't.

Only if you are a "Pro" and are overgeared, too.

It is easy only if you have 69+ gear.
Beneath that, it's horrible, imho. I had quite a lot of problems there, and I had only 2-3 pieces of 69 gear, everything else was around 60+ (roughly from my memory).
If you had mostly +-60 stuff, you were undergeared.
The recommended gear is 66 (which is really easy to get from oricon)
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, Caphalør Sorc, Kindarya Assa, Leonië PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian