Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, how are you supposed to gear, anyway?

vdbswong
11.10.2013 , 02:45 AM | #11
What server/timezone are you in?

Have you tried the Guild Recruitment section in your Server's Forums to try and find a suitable guild you could raid with?

ekimmak
11.10.2013 , 03:57 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by vdbswong View Post
What server/timezone are you in?

Have you tried the Guild Recruitment section in your Server's Forums to try and find a suitable guild you could raid with?
I... did not think of that.

My main characters are on Beregen Colony, although I occasionally play on the Harbinger. Time zone is Australian (Think it's UTC+10? Not sure how the system works, just know that normally I'm on when the majority of the server isn't.)
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

rantboi
11.10.2013 , 05:25 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
it is an incredible trial to try and heal through the security chief in the first Czerka flashpoint.
only if your group is completely retarded and doesn't move out of the red circles

Loc_n_lol
11.10.2013 , 07:13 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by rantboi View Post
only if your group is completely retarded and doesn't move out of the red circles
Honestly, towards the end he kills you even if you moved out of the circle. The missile travels through time and hits you in the past. There is no other flashpoint boss where it is that bad.

ekimmak
11.10.2013 , 02:15 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by rantboi View Post
No, that's not a trial, that's a guaranteed wipe.

What makes it a trial is that the boss will ignore agro to throw grenades that deal a pretty savage amount of damage at people who aren't the tank, while savagely beating down on the tank. I don't know how well scoundrels or sages work in this fight, but it was brutal for my mercenary to get no chance to let her heat die down. I had to just keep switching back and forth, throwing down chain heals and dancing around in max heat regen levels.

It's almost a relief when he starts spamming missiles, because the missiles delay his grenades.
Spoiler

Volantiz
11.10.2013 , 04:31 PM | #16
A lot of people do tend to be lucky at finding the right PUG raid group, but also just got to be patient and keep searching for the right guild for you. The guild that I am a member of has 4 raid teams, but we also run social raids on a Friday and a Saturday to run the new and old content and is open to virtually any member to signup and experience the raid zones and give people the opportunity at grabbing some loot. Not every guild will have that, but quite a few do, just need to find the one that will suit you the best, which will be doubly hard as a aussie i will admit.
The Circle - The Red Eclipse - Imperial Guild
www.thecircle.ws
Twitter - @thecircle_eu | @volantiz

Atyaman
11.11.2013 , 05:49 AM | #17
No, that's not a trial, that's a guaranteed wipe.

What makes it a trial is that the boss will ignore agro to throw grenades that deal a pretty savage amount of damage at people who aren't the tank, while savagely beating down on the tank. I don't know how well scoundrels or sages work in this fight, but it was brutal for my mercenary to get no chance to let her heat die down. I had to just keep switching back and forth, throwing down chain heals and dancing around in max heat regen levels.

It's almost a relief when he starts spamming missiles, because the missiles delay his grenades.
From experience: Scoundrel healing is laughable (2 stack of HoT on everyone, use your instas, and you don't even have to stop to cast, so just run around like a headless chiken), Sage is a bit tricier, but doable too. I've done it just yesterday night on my 'mando healer alt. I'd give advice on what abilities to use, but I cannot really remember*. I had to make a 12-min-long phonecall (mobile between the neck and shoulders to make it more interesting ) after the droid boss and by the time I was done, we've just finished the whole FP (and yes, it was HM,). Avoiding red circles and watching out who had eaten them is pretty much on autopilot at this point. Dunno if it helps, but I'm usually jumping out of the circles too. It all boils down to practice, if you're game is too laggy for you to avoid them (I'm running between 80-300ms), then simply never stop running, only stop and cast a heal, when you see the red circle at someone else's feet.

If you're the healer it can hardly go wrong. Enrage is not that tight, in case the dps decides to eat 3 circles in a row (which is hard to heal through, unless you're a scoundrel), then just finish it with the tank.

However a few days ago when I was on my shadow tank, unfortunately the other three bit the dust from the circles. At that point Zokar tries to get you with cryo grenade and red circle too. Finished him from 7-10%, never eating a single circle. So my advice: practice, parctice, parctice and never give up, cheers

* Thinking about it a little: throw kolto bomb to hit everyone for the healing buff, use all other heals when this buff is up on others, use your 360° knockback for aoe heals, keep up the healing stacks on the tank always, use your no cast time and free cast ability, don't save the insta heal for emergencies, use it on CD, go super healer mode after 30 stacks only when it is required. And when something goes really amiss (tank fails to turn boss, adds are not gunned down fast, too much damage going on), don't try to save you energy on the brink of crappy regen, just go all out and pop your energy back ability. Hope this helps.

(Sorry for the lack of ability names, my 'mando is really not my main, and you would need the Merc ability names anyway.)
The Progenitor Gizka
Vaynesh - Scoundrel | Zestia - Commando
OPS Recordings

ekimmak
11.11.2013 , 05:39 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Atyaman View Post
From experience: Scoundrel healing is laughable (2 stack of HoT on everyone, use your instas, and you don't even have to stop to cast, so just run around like a headless chiken), Sage is a bit tricier, but doable too. I've done it just yesterday night on my 'mando healer alt. I'd give advice on what abilities to use, but I cannot really remember*. I had to make a 12-min-long phonecall (mobile between the neck and shoulders to make it more interesting ) after the droid boss and by the time I was done, we've just finished the whole FP (and yes, it was HM,). Avoiding red circles and watching out who had eaten them is pretty much on autopilot at this point. Dunno if it helps, but I'm usually jumping out of the circles too. It all boils down to practice, if you're game is too laggy for you to avoid them (I'm running between 80-300ms), then simply never stop running, only stop and cast a heal, when you see the red circle at someone else's feet.

If you're the healer it can hardly go wrong. Enrage is not that tight, in case the dps decides to eat 3 circles in a row (which is hard to heal through, unless you're a scoundrel), then just finish it with the tank.

However a few days ago when I was on my shadow tank, unfortunately the other three bit the dust from the circles. At that point Zokar tries to get you with cryo grenade and red circle too. Finished him from 7-10%, never eating a single circle. So my advice: practice, parctice, parctice and never give up, cheers

* Thinking about it a little: throw kolto bomb to hit everyone for the healing buff, use all other heals when this buff is up on others, use your 360° knockback for aoe heals, keep up the healing stacks on the tank always, use your no cast time and free cast ability, don't save the insta heal for emergencies, use it on CD, go super healer mode after 30 stacks only when it is required. And when something goes really amiss (tank fails to turn boss, adds are not gunned down fast, too much damage going on), don't try to save you energy on the brink of crappy regen, just go all out and pop your energy back ability. Hope this helps.

(Sorry for the lack of ability names, my 'mando is really not my main, and you would need the Merc ability names anyway.)
I have a mercenary and a commando, so I can make the translations pretty well. Fact is, though, that the healing required is a severe cut upwards from what I'm used to. Normally, you've got a tank being hit by severe damage, unless he's doing poorly, in which case a DPS will pull aggro, and I have to switch healing quickly. Occasionally, an ally might stand in a death zone, and I have to get them up and running again, but can spare that time.

The security chief, however, from the beginning, has an offhand attack that he uses as a regular rotation, that ignores threat, and will NEVER hit the actual tank with, that hits pretty damn hard. I have to be very quick with my targeting during this fight. I need to keep my eyes on everyone's health bar, my own rotation, and in the last phase, keep an eye open for those red rings of doom. It's doable, but it requires a lot more competence from DPS than normal, and a lot of attention swapping from me.

And then there was the guy who thought that story mode was identical to hard mode, and let half the mobs out of their cages in the final fight. I have no idea how I healed through all that.

It seems like gearing boils down to "Grind dailies and get a ton of basic comms and purchase 69 gear, then grind 55 HM and get a ton of elite comms and purchase 72 gear. Looks like I've got a lot of work to do.
Spoiler

RikuvonDrake
11.11.2013 , 06:30 PM | #19
I would say, join a organized guild that like has a website and stuff so you can sign up for raids and get gear that way, in my "casual" guild, we have random raids at least twice a day when we better geared players comes on our alts and then we just check in guildchat if someone wants to join. So what is their gear is below the level needed, if it's SM we normally blaze through it anyway at the same time as we have a nice time on teamspeak as well as us it to explain basic tactics.
Dread Master - Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Riku - Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rikache - Rikachacha - Rikache
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Fidelicatessen
11.12.2013 , 08:47 PM | #20
I... did not think of that.

My main characters are on Beregen Colony, although I occasionally play on the Harbinger. Time zone is Australian (Think it's UTC+10? Not sure how the system works, just know that normally I'm on when the majority of the server isn't.)
Berg Colony? I sent you a PM--I'm in a large guild that runs ops almost every day, and many of our members are Australian or APAC.