Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Madness Sorcerer Guide (up in swtorboard)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Madness Sorcerer Guide (up in swtorboard)

paowee
11.08.2013 , 12:26 AM | #1
Special thanks to Nibbon for his work and dedication on the Sage/Sorc DPS guide and keeping all information up to date.

edit: moved to a self-hosted site. its now at swtorboard.org

http://swtorboard.org/2013/11/08/madness-sorcerer/
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Sindariel
11.08.2013 , 02:48 PM | #2
Nice guide and you covered the most important things, but I have a few comments and suggestions from my personal experiences.

Priority order vs. static rotation:

You're suggesting a priority order with Death Field on cooldown. This is ok, but it also causes some problems.
- Keeping track of your dot uptime gets more difficult since your skills don't line up.
- Managing your force and wrath procs gets more difficult, because you have to clip Force Lightning more often to keep your dots and DF on cooldown.
DPS-wise, there's no difference between a priority order and a static rotation, but the static rotation is much easier to handle.

Convection - I found this to be a dps loss.
In madness spec, the only skills affected by this talent are Lightning Strike and Crushing Darkness. Since Lightning Strike isn't used that often and both skills are already boosted by 35% from wrath proc and an additional 20% on Crushing Darkness from Deathmark, those 4% from Convection are barely noticeable.

Subversion - Obviously a dps loss and the benefit to force regeneration is questionable.
While maintaining your rotation, you almost never get more than two stacks of Subversion and most of the time, you end up having only one stack.
After some testing, I came to the conclusion that this talent isn't worth the points.

In my parses, the generic 5/5/36 build has proven to be the most beneficial and highest parsing build.

Stormhuntr
11.08.2013 , 04:11 PM | #3
Nibbon's guides are really good and he knows what he is talking about, but his play style will not work for all players. My rotation is quite a bit different. As far specs 5/5/36 and 1/9/36 both have similar numbers when I play with specs. One thing I do want to highlight I would recommend stop side stepping Surging Speed. It actually can be quite helpful in pve and pvp settings. Case in point I am the kitter for Raptus for my 16m HM guild runs and it helps alot.

Rotation: (Hard cast) CD --> Aff. --> CT --> DF --> Reck. and Polarity Shift --> FL x 1 or 2 (depends on wrath) --> LS --> FL x 2 or 3 (again wrath). From that point I restart my rotation.

Also I would like to point out surge and crit are not ending up being worthless. I have been playing around with a little more crit. and the crit. relic. My normal numbers run about 2700 to 3000 on fights. Granted I am also not min/max quite yet. I have about 6 72 mod and ench. left to go and a main hand. My two cents.

To sum up great guide and finally a site that isnt Nox.

Edit: I forgot to state that is heavy AOE fights I switch to a hybrid spec. The build is 2/16/28

paowee
11.08.2013 , 05:09 PM | #4
Here is a rotation shared by Sindariel on the website. Will fraps a dummy video of it and see how it goes

Quote:
Sindariel says:
November 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm

The static rotation would be Creeping Terror -> Affliction -> Death Field -> Crushing Darkness with Wrath proc -> Force Lightning Spam / Lightning Strike with Wrath proc.
This way, your dots line up with your Death Field’s cooldown, very well (with a ~1s gap due to GCD reduction from alacrity). In addition, you can spam Force Lightning without clipping it.

Just as a side note: In a 5 min parse with the priority order, you only gain 2 more Death Fields compared to the static rotation.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Devinia-Hex
11.19.2013 , 01:33 PM | #5
My spec for PVP Madness pvp is the 6/3/36 I just like the max self healing from dots and max defensive abilities from Electrocute and the 30% reduction while stunned. It seems to be the most durable however still falls short because of a little weaker damage and poor force regen.
Dashara Bergen Colony Devinia Hex The Bastion