Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Future Content...

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5
Class Story 2,290 69.14%
Operations 921 27.81%
PvP Content (Warzones, Arena's etc) 1,284 38.77%
Companions 868 26.21%
Space Content (beyond what is coming already) 615 18.57%
Planets 1,374 41.49%
Crew Skills and Crafting 581 17.54%
Character Customization Options (Hair, Faces, Body sizes, etc) 803 24.25%
Legacy 825 24.91%
Mini Games (Sabacc, Pod racing, pazaak, etc) 1,303 39.34%
Playable Races 967 29.20%
New Class 1,366 41.24%
Other 224 6.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3312. You may not vote on this poll

TUXs
11.07.2013 , 11:41 AM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
With all due respect I think Mr Musco is making the same mistake the original dev crew made.

If you dismiss the opinions of GD you possibly dismiss the opinion of the majority playerbase. Most of the negative moves and decisions the game made, which at least contributed to it's down fall early on were discussed in the forums quite extensively. Most of the improvements have come from the same, perhaps in small part.

This game is different, just like SWG was different. The gamers here are STAR WARS FANS by a vast majority I would assume, and therefore are much more invested than normal MMO players.

I would say it's likely our participation is much like STOs forum participation...we are fans of the genre first, game second.

Star Wars and Star Trek fans are often misunderstood and dismissed at the peril of those that do so.
I don't blame Eric, but I agree with the rest of your post entirely!
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

DOHboy
11.07.2013 , 11:41 AM | #312
Quote: Originally Posted by StarMagus View Post
snip
From my listening in on Fleet Conversations, I have gathered that the Topic of Obama is a big deal in the Game and the Dev's need to get something in game to reflect that.
we already have a training dummy....

TUXs
11.07.2013 , 11:42 AM | #313
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
*BOOM* goes the dynamite! 10/10
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

StarMagus
11.07.2013 , 11:44 AM | #314
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
People do seem to love beating up on straw men....

Vandicus
11.07.2013 , 11:44 AM | #315
Well, I would say that anyone that says it is absolute undeniable proof would be making a foolish statement.

However, anyone that wishes to say its a good representation, though perhaps opinion, could make that observation based on other supporting evidence.

Mr Musco made a "exist in a vacuum" comment. To avoid taking it out of context, I will only say this...

This forum does not exist in a vacuum. This forum exists in a massive swath of information that includes the internet in it's entirety, blogs, reviews, in game chat, fan sites, etc.

When the majority of folks are falling in line, saying the same things, that should not be ignored. The original dev staff made that mistake at their own peril.

I'm going to go ahead and bring in another Bioware forums, game, and poll as an example.

DA3 forums had a poll(player made) that indicated that roughly 50% of the people who took the poll viewed the inclusion of other races as make or break for whether they'd buy they game. Bioware's internal metrics however(per dev statement, I believe it was Gaider who brought the number up) showed that over 90% of people who bought and played Dragon Age Origins never played any race besides human.

The bias introduced by self-selection in polls, and the bias created by the fact that the general forums population most likely does not closely emulate that population break down of players, are very real.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

EricMusco
11.07.2013 , 11:45 AM | #316 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Well, I would say that anyone that says it is absolute undeniable proof would be making a foolish statement.

However, anyone that wishes to say its a good representation, though perhaps opinion, could make that observation based on other supporting evidence.

Mr Musco made a "exist in a vacuum" comment. To avoid taking it out of context, I will only say this...

This forum does not exist in a vacuum. This forum exists in a massive swath of information that includes the internet in it's entirety, blogs, reviews, in game chat, fan sites, etc.

When the majority of folks are falling in line, saying the same things, that should not be ignored. The original dev staff made that mistake at their own peril.
I agree with you entirely! General Discussion and this forums can certainly be a great representation of the playerbase at large, and its opinions. I don't want you to get the idea that I was saying otherwise. My reasoning is specifically tied to polls. Again, not that polls are bad, just that in many cases players can misunderstand poll results as "undeniable proof" of a point. It is when you can put a tangible number behind an opinion that things get a bit tricky and that is where the "in a vacuum" comment comes in. (like the Warzone type example I made)

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Andryah
11.07.2013 , 11:53 AM | #317
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
I'm going to go ahead and bring in another Bioware forums, game, and poll as an example.

DA3 forums had a poll(player made) that indicated that roughly 50% of the people who took the poll viewed the inclusion of other races as make or break for whether they'd buy they game. Bioware's internal metrics however(per dev statement, I believe it was Gaider who brought the number up) showed that over 90% of people who bought and played Dragon Age Origins never played any race besides human.

The bias introduced by self-selection in polls, and the bias created by the fact that the general forums population most likely does not closely emulate that population break down of players, are very real.
I agree that you do not make product decisions based on informal polls of any kind. You use the poll results as a marker and then you go into your telemetry and test the data in the context of the marker.

There is so much telemetry available to them..the challenge is more about applying smart analytics against the data to harvest high value conclusions. So polling data can be an excellent marker to evaluate against.

Eric is doing what he is supposed to do in this thread -----> remind players that player feedback (polls or otherwise) are just one among many variables use to decide what they work on and how they approach it. As a forum.. we need to be constantly reminded of this since some get it and some do not. And I suspect this is why he does not do polls with us.. as it will get distorted by some as a commitment to apply the poll results in the absence of full and due diligence with all the data they have available to them.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Laurreth
11.07.2013 , 12:12 PM | #318
The forum exists in a very small subset though. It only reaches very, very few people who actually can stand the vitriol, permanent hating and flaming and general cesspit with rare gems in it. As such, I'd hardly call it in any way representative for the playerbase at large.

If Bioware wanted to ask explicit questions, then IMO the only somewhat representative way to do so would be in-client surveys.
I like how the whining about "censored" butts started instantly but it took 2 days for someone to notice the legs are also ****ed up rantboi

weejohnathon
11.07.2013 , 12:12 PM | #319
I may sound a little defeated here but this poll is just showing what many many threads have stated the desire for more class story which was what was promised with this mmo. If I was asked to give one unique thing about this game is that you feel like your character is important and truly unique through your choices. However from what Eric has said and I may be taking this wrong is that they will still see this as a small percent just like all the other threads created which makes me feel like this poll is a waste of time as their reasoning for not doing more class story content is that they don't feel the time needed for the content is worth the investment.

Rafaman
11.07.2013 , 12:14 PM | #320
Fair enough, Eric et. al. Polls like this can be misconstrued. Polls like this can be flawed in execution. However, the data points gathered have value. I think Artemis has it right.

I personally would like to see more polls as a method of garnering discussion and gathering data. The caveat would be that the polls do not singularly set criteria or the agenda for BW and future development. But it can certainly provide insights into what subs here are thinking at a particular moment in time.

In terms of discussion, this thread has been more fruitful than most even if posters didn't agree with the poll or polling method. And the outcome while not surprising gives us, the forums, topics to delve into. ie: What, does "Planets" mean; what is in the "Other" catagory, etc. etc.

I say we keep this type of thing going.