Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Future Content...

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5
Class Story 2,294 69.16%
Operations 922 27.80%
PvP Content (Warzones, Arena's etc) 1,284 38.71%
Companions 872 26.29%
Space Content (beyond what is coming already) 615 18.54%
Planets 1,378 41.54%
Crew Skills and Crafting 581 17.52%
Character Customization Options (Hair, Faces, Body sizes, etc) 804 24.24%
Legacy 827 24.93%
Mini Games (Sabacc, Pod racing, pazaak, etc) 1,305 39.34%
Playable Races 970 29.24%
New Class 1,368 41.24%
Other 224 6.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3317. You may not vote on this poll

ikinai
11.07.2013 , 10:55 AM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by StarMagus View Post
Wait, the claim is this poll is a good representation, that is what has to proved. You just asked me to prove a negative.

Somebody doesn't get to go "Aliens are out there and are getting ready to invade." and then answer that they have no proof with "Pove Aliens aren't out there!!!" That's insane.
It is a good representation of subscribers on this forum. And that's what this poll is for.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School

StarMagus
11.07.2013 , 10:57 AM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
Given in the last few posts from the development team there has been talk of listening to the player base and thanking the fans and telling us they are taking note this poll should have been created by the community team to give weight to the design choices of the development team. After all from the galactic star fighters blog

From this you would imagine PvP would be top of the votes as that's the direction that the SSSP took. Likewise if the development team are looking at what the player base want this poll gives them a good idea. Is class story something that should be ignored to focus on more generic story, it seems this would not be acting on player/fan feed back. So if we don't see any more class story it would be wrong for any more blogs to say we are acting on what the players want.
Well considering PvP is one of the lowest scoring items we have to assume one or some combination of the following.

1. This poll doesn't match what their internal numbers show.
2. They work on whatever they want to and don't follow poll numbers.

EricMusco
11.07.2013 , 10:57 AM | #273 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Interesting.

You have to admit though Eric... this poll has been good for the community and good for Bioware. I know you guys have great telemetry in game and many channels for feedback.... but what I appreciate about forum polls is that they separate player projection upon what "other players want" and allow the forum members to all have a equal voice into a reasonable gathering method to actually collectively state what players want.

I can see why polls could get out of hand in the forum and make for more moderation load for you and your staff... but it would be outstanding of you would initiate some polling from time to time to gather inputs from the forum members. We would be grateful if you did.
I won't disagree with any of the points you have made. Polling definitely has many benefits, and understanding player feedback from the forums is certainly a component of that.

You didn't actually hit on the reason we don't do them generally, and that is perception. I realize I just insinuated that there is a perception problem (dirty words!!!) but hear me out first . Unfortunately the forums can exist in a vacuum. That is, that people will often think that what is reflected in the forums is always the reality of how things are for everyone. Polling all too often reinforces that belief. Let me give you an example.

Let's say someone posted a poll "What Warzone map style would you like to see next in a new map? Huttball, Alderaan, or Voidstar"

After 2 weeks or so of voting, Alderaan has the most votes with 40%, and 300 people voting for it. 3 months later, we release a new patch, and we have a new Huttball map. The general users of the forums, will not be pleased. If you look at the poll and only at the poll you will get things like "EVERYONE AGREED WE WANTED ALDERAAN!" By making the poll, it is implied that the poll is the core metric to a decision being made; it is just one component. That is not to say forum opinion doesn't matter, of course. It is just that it is merely a sampling.

Think of it this way... in my previous example 300 people voted for the winning selection. I will spare you the math, but if hundreds of thousands of people play SWTOR, 300 is a fraction of a percent. We can't sway entire decisions based on just that poll. However, people look to polls to justify decisions and unfortunately things just aren't that simple.

That is the long form on why we typically don't do polling.

TLDR - People assume poll results indicate // guarantee actual majority opinion and assume it will solely affect decision making.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

MillionsKNives
11.07.2013 , 10:57 AM | #274
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
From this you would imagine PvP would be top of the votes as that's the direction that the SSSP took.
This poll is taken in the context that we already are getting space PVP, so why would people ask for it? Space PVP is different than ground PVP, so throwing them together would be a mistake.

Quote:
Likewise if the development team are looking at what the player base want this poll gives them a good idea. Is class story something that should be ignored to focus on more generic story, it seems this would not be acting on player/fan feed back. So if we don't see any more class story it would be wrong for any more blogs to say we are acting on what the players want.
Acting on some suggestions from the fanbase does not mean that they are forever obligated to act on every popular suggestion ever. It would not be wrong to continue to say that they act on our suggestions, even though they only act on some of them. The suggestion has to be feasible, it has to fit with their chosen direction of the game, and something that will fit in their time and budget.

You also have to consider what they're already working on, and if certain suggestions conflict or enhance features already in development.

StarMagus
11.07.2013 , 10:58 AM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by ikinai View Post
It is a good representation of subscribers on this forum. And that's what this poll is for.
Yes, subscribers on this forum, who choose to vote in the poll...

There is nothing however that shows it reflects all subscribers on the forum, and certainly not all subscribers.

Add on: The yellow post above mine basically said the same thing. The opinions of people on the General forum aren't always a good reflection of the opinions of the entire Subscriber base.

TUXs
11.07.2013 , 11:01 AM | #276
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Let's say someone posted a poll "What Warzone map style would you like to see next in a new map? Huttball, Alderaan, or Voidstar"

After 2 weeks or so of voting, Alderaan has the most votes with 40%, and 300 people voting for it. 3 months later, we release a new patch, and we have a new Huttball map.

-eric
So...are you saying we'll have the new Huttball map in 3 months time or Alderaan??
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

MillionsKNives
11.07.2013 , 11:03 AM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
So...are you saying we'll have the new Huttball map in 3 months time or Alderaan??
I think what he's saying is that we're never getting another Voidstar. Clearly no one voted for it. :P

ikinai
11.07.2013 , 11:04 AM | #278

There is nothing however that shows it reflects all subscribers on the forum, and certainly not all subscribers.
And it was never claimed to be any of that. You conflated it to include other users beyond who was responding to this poll and who had access to it. Polls such as this are useful in that it gives a representation of a certain subset or demographic. You mentioned political polls. There are polls taken that are geared towards certain subsets of voters, i.e. women, people of color or party affiliation. Do they then represent all voters? No they do not, they represent that certain subset of voters, much like this poll represents a certain subset of player/subscribers to this game.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School

StarMagus
11.07.2013 , 11:04 AM | #279
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I want a Huttball League, with full spectator mode. Form a team of 12-16 players, 8 can go in. Hutt Ball match of 4 6 minute quarters, with subs after every Quarter. Let us bet in game credits with each other on the map. The ability to follow our favorite teams, and after the end of the season a championship where the winners get an in game trophy.

*This huttball rant brought to you by all 6 of my dailies yesterday being Huttball roflstomps and my spirit is broken.. you've won Huttball... you've won.. sob*

Prisoner
11.07.2013 , 11:05 AM | #280

Add on: The yellow post above mine basically said the same thing. The opinions of people on the General forum aren't always a good reflection of the opinions of the entire Subscriber base.

Exactly. They'd be much smarter to actually look at the in game metrics of what all subscribers/players are actually doing in the game, than assume that a poll of a couple hundred hard core players on the general forums represents everyone in this game.