Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Future Content...

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

View Poll Results: Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5
Class Story 2,311 69.30%
Operations 926 27.77%
PvP Content (Warzones, Arena's etc) 1,285 38.53%
Companions 879 26.36%
Space Content (beyond what is coming already) 616 18.47%
Planets 1,388 41.62%
Crew Skills and Crafting 582 17.45%
Character Customization Options (Hair, Faces, Body sizes, etc) 808 24.23%
Legacy 830 24.89%
Mini Games (Sabacc, Pod racing, pazaak, etc) 1,309 39.25%
Playable Races 977 29.30%
New Class 1,377 41.29%
Other 224 6.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3335. You may not vote on this poll

StarMagus
11.07.2013 , 04:26 AM | #231
I answered the poll, and I don't think it's a bad idea.

However...

1. The poll has 414 people responding to it out of a 500,000 player base of subscribers. Preferred and F2P people can't even answer.

2. It suffers from Self-Selection Bias.

http://srmo.sagepub.com/view/encyclo...thods/n526.xml

Quote:
In most instances, self-selection will lead to biased data, as the respondents who choose to participate will not well represent the entire target population. A key objective of doing surveys is to measure empirical regularities in a population by sampling a much smaller number of entities that represent the whole target population. Modern sampling theory is predicated on the notion that whether an entity is eligible for interview should be determined by a random mechanism as implemented by the researcher
In other words Self-Selecting polls, ie polls where people choose to answer them rather then are randomly polled, are always biased and don't actually reflect the true opinions of the whole, but only those who are very interested in the topics being polled on. They are great "for fun" but Bioware should not take the results seriously and if they are interested in polling their user base they should conduct a truly random selected poll.

Tatile
11.07.2013 , 05:03 AM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by StarMagus View Post
ie polls where people choose to answer them rather then are randomly polled
Forgive me, as I'm probably misunderstanding this, but surely there's still a bias in the randomly selected poll, because then people who think that their "subject" is inherently of worth will vote, whereas those who are ambivalent won't?

I think I'm getting confused by your assertion that "people choose to vote", where it seems you're implying that the sample group is chosen by the vote-taker, because they might be biased in favour of pre-conceived ideas?

Stradlin
11.07.2013 , 05:05 AM | #233
It baffles me so many find it in them to want -more- class stories. Is this the type of fiction and writing you expect and want from your video games? 2000 talking heads explaining and unraveling storyline with all the speed a retreating glacier can pull. 20000 babysteps seperated from one another by magics of vanilla WoW era quest strucures. Dialogue cutscenes living and filmed inf ashion that reminds you of Hard Talk episode where camera manhas died mid-shooting. We already have talking heads and irrelevant dialogue wheels producing 40 hours worth of forgettable platitudes and you keep wanting for MORE?

Optimist in me wants to think this is some sort of a distortion.. users of official TOR forums maybe not being an accurate portrayal of playerbase. I dunno Also, 5 options to pick is way too much btw. Would have been neater had you made people make a choise. People can just pick alland everything they like now.

Palar
11.07.2013 , 05:43 AM | #234
Aren't all polls self-selecting, given that most people who get a random survey thrust at them out of the blue will ignore it? People still choose whether they participate. This is just a discussion, the nay-sayers seem to be treating it with more importance than anyone else.

Let's assume BW did a random poll and put up the top 5 - odds are it would get shouted down with "let me guess... they asked 100 EA bean-counters and the Cartel Market won" style posts.

Tatile
11.07.2013 , 06:02 AM | #235
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Aren't all polls self-selecting, given that most people who get a random survey thrust at them out of the blue will ignore it? People still choose whether they participate. This is just a discussion, the nay-sayers seem to be treating it with more importance than anyone else.

Let's assume BW did a random poll and put up the top 5 - odds are it would get shouted down with "let me guess... they asked 100 EA bean-counters and the Cartel Market won" style posts.
It wouldn't be "fair" unless Bioware sent out an email to every active account...

and even then the results would be "biased" because it's asking people who play the game what they want, and not people who don't play the game what they would need in order to play the game, conveniently forgetting that people won't necessarily jump into subscriptions just because a game has PvP, or end-game, or Pokemon functionality, or poker, etc.

StarMagus
11.07.2013 , 06:10 AM | #236
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Forgive me, as I'm probably misunderstanding this, but surely there's still a bias in the randomly selected poll, because then people who think that their "subject" is inherently of worth will vote, whereas those who are ambivalent won't?

I think I'm getting confused by your assertion that "people choose to vote", where it seems you're implying that the sample group is chosen by the vote-taker, because they might be biased in favour of pre-conceived ideas?
Of course, there is always bias in polls. Even ones run by companies that do it for a living and have a vested interest in getting it right. That's why you see a +-X% polling error next to any poll. The thing is that you follow best practices to reduce that number. Also every polling agency has their own internal formulas that take into account how many people are actually going to vote on election day and how to get the numbers they asked into a sample that accurately reflects the electorate.

Good polls aren't "We picked 500 random people and this is what they said....." they try to mirror as closely as possible the people they are trying to represent, which something on a website like this just can't do.

Done well, polls are amazing when it comes to predicting things, done poorly they are no better then a magic 8-ball.

There was a reason that 538.com was able to predict how every single state in the last presidential election would go, he even predicted correctly which ones were close. ((Florida and Virginia being basically down to the last vote counts.)) It's because he understands polls, and what they say and can tell you.

StarMagus
11.07.2013 , 06:13 AM | #237
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Aren't all polls self-selecting, given that most people who get a random survey thrust at them out of the blue will ignore it? People still choose whether they participate.
No they aren't. A self selecting poll isn't one you choose to fill out if you are randomly selected, it's one you choose to fill out and has no control by the person putting the poll out as to who can and can't fill the form out.

It's a technical term that means something when it comes to the science of polling. Sort of like how Theory means something different when you are talking about common usage versus scientific usage.

Quote:
This is just a discussion, the nay-sayers seem to be treating it with more importance than anyone else.
Sure, and it's fine for that.. I just thought it was interesting to consider what it can and can't show... and the flaws of the type of poll that it is.

Clarian
11.07.2013 , 06:35 AM | #238
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
For some reason people seem to want more single player content (class stories) in a multiplayer game.
Well, we're only asking for more of what was already a major part of the game from day one. For some reason, Bioware put a lot of single player content (class stories) in a multiplayer game.

If they put all the same content in a single-player game, I'd play that instead. (And yes, I'd be willing to subscribe to it.) Until then, the closest I can come to single-player SWTOR is multiplayer SWTOR.

And yep, I'm a KotOR fan. Even so, I'd rather have this game, multiplayer and all, than KotOR 3. That's because I think 8 different stories, all in the same galaxy at the same time, is simply awesome...and they never could have swung the budget to do that in a single player game - at least, not in 2006. Though I'd love to see that change, and have huge, ongoing single-player games, financed by subs and cash shops.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
I think one of the main reasons this game flopped is because todays gamers just don't want a multiplayer game that focuses on storytelling,
That may be. Another reason could be that today's gamers just don't want a storytelling game that focuses on multiplayer.

Alex_York
11.07.2013 , 06:36 AM | #239
We definatly need minigames with betting system. New planets and operations are not that great (oricon is just another area to kill trash for trash daily rewards). Story is good, but repeating it is boring. Minigames is the best choice!
Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.

Rafaman
11.07.2013 , 08:35 AM | #240
What surprises me is the Planets category. I guess, I'm not sure what that means. Not that this can be answered in this poll, but are people looking for more planet to explore or more stories within the existing areas on a given planet?