Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So there's this name I want but...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So there's this name I want but...

TaylaEwa
11.06.2013 , 05:21 PM | #41
How can you be certain that the person doesn't play anymore? Are you logged in 24 hours a day, 365 days a year? Maybe he/she is APAC and plays during your morning.. or if you play in the morning, maybe they play in the evening. Its possible you simply keep missing them.

That said.. I feel that those who are actively paying for the game should be favored over those who quit, regardless of the time they invested to the toon. Those who quit will, in most cases, never return. Bioware will never see another dime from them. So why would they risk loosing a second paying customer who might become disillusioned at losing a favored name?
"Think, then act. Don't act, then think."

ZETA_SCORPII
11.06.2013 , 05:40 PM | #42
Winnemucca might be available.

Nempo
11.06.2013 , 08:28 PM | #43
Lets go with this...

Account inactive for 6 months? Every name is purged. They are gone and there is little reason to expect them to come back. If they do come back they won't have anyone to blame but themselves for the lost names.

The CHARACTER has not been logged into in over a month? Purge the name (don't care what level). If you can go over a month without logging a character in, you aren't attached to it very much anymore.
"I am not driven by hatred. I am not driven by fear.
I am not driven by desire, duty, or any rationale. I can no longer feel any of these.
All that remains is Retribution; Cold and hard and final..."

Sportiva
11.06.2013 , 08:40 PM | #44
Here's my beef with this whole situation .... I am an early access player (day 2 IIRC) .... I lost my name because I was forced to transfer servers.

Now, I am fairly confident I'll get my name back on Nov 12, but BW should consider a system that makes it more likely for loyal player who lost their original name to get them back.
Master Jaice Jenod Guardian | Velo Jenx Gunslinger | Master Gira Jenx Sage | Major Jaxen Jenod Vanguard
Saena Jenod Mercenary | Dulymus Jenod Operative | Darth Scoura Assassin | Darth Zetara Marauder

Callaron
11.06.2013 , 08:48 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Nempo View Post
Lets go with this...

Account inactive for 6 months? Every name is purged. They are gone and there is little reason to expect them to come back. If they do come back they won't have anyone to blame but themselves for the lost names.

The CHARACTER has not been logged into in over a month? Purge the name (don't care what level). If you can go over a month without logging a character in, you aren't attached to it very much anymore.
Six months are nothing.
Read some of the threads of players that recently came back.
Bioware made a good call with their current system. Is it perfect? Probably not, but it's a nice middle ground that lets them free up some names without burning bridges left and right.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

tortcat
11.06.2013 , 09:56 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
Of course I don't. But if they don't want to even play the game for almost 2 years then they should forfeit their right to the name since it's apparent they don't care about the game anymore.
Well if they are paying for the game they have a right to keep whatever name(s) they want for as long as they want.

But also, just because you don't see that person does not mean they have not logged in OR they could be playing any number of other charecters that you would have no knowledge of ?

Spatology
11.06.2013 , 10:01 PM | #47
What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Jacen_Starsolo
11.06.2013 , 10:03 PM | #48
So the name I want is Reno. No funky characters, nothing, just Reno.

But it belongs to a Level 50 Scoundrel who has never onced logged in since I have added him to my friend's list. I'm assuming the owner was someone who quit shortly after getting to 50.

So while supposedly inactive it wont be affected by the name purge since according to the rules is above Level 30.

I expect many well too bad so sad responses to this thread and that's all fine and dandy but I feel there needs to a further investigation to whether a character has even logged in after a certain time period and if the account isn't a sub, the names should be flagged.

Is it fair to the original owner? No. But it's not fair to players who are still playing this game from Day 1 to be locked out of a name they would like.

I would like to hear yall's thoughts on the matter and whether or not you think there the name purge to extend to level 50's if the account has been active for a certain time frame.

Thank you and enjoy your P3Wx2

Reno.
May be he put you on ignore and that's why you don't see him log in. Or might be he just doesn't play the same time as you. Are you logged in 24/7/365? That screams no life if you are.

Andryah
11.06.2013 , 10:07 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by tortcat View Post
Well if they are paying for the game they have a right to keep whatever name(s) they want for as long as they want.

But also, just because you don't see that person does not mean they have not logged in OR they could be playing any number of other charecters that you would have no knowledge of ?
Yeah.. I have characters I have not logged into in months.. and others that I play every day. I'm not ready to give up any names on the lessor played characters though.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Ratajack
11.06.2013 , 10:22 PM | #50
So the name I want is Reno. No funky characters, nothing, just Reno.

But it belongs to a Level 50 Scoundrel who has never onced logged in since I have added him to my friend's list. I'm assuming the owner was someone who quit shortly after getting to 50.

So while supposedly inactive it wont be affected by the name purge since according to the rules is above Level 30.

I expect many well too bad so sad responses to this thread and that's all fine and dandy but I feel there needs to a further investigation to whether a character has even logged in after a certain time period and if the account isn't a sub, the names should be flagged.

Is it fair to the original owner? No. But it's not fair to players who are still playing this game from Day 1 to be locked out of a name they would like.

I would like to hear yall's thoughts on the matter and whether or not you think there the name purge to extend to level 50's if the account has been active for a certain time frame.

Thank you and enjoy your P3Wx2

Reno.
I wondered how long it would be before the there were threads started by people who's desired name would not become available complaining about it. I guess the answer to that question is "not long at all".

How long will it be before we see the first complaints from people who's desired names became available and were taken by someone else before they could get t hem? How long will it be before someone demands free name changes because they "lost their original name in a server transfer" and they don't want to pay for a name change?