Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character names poll for prefered and f2p

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character names poll for prefered and f2p
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
11.06.2013 , 11:36 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by lironBD View Post
so it's like "find the treasure" game?
they sent dreadful email which was written by dread master lacky warning against upcoming name purge and I should stay tuned to their blog?

just send the link with the email...
It's like, under level 10 (maybe 30?), not active for the last three months, Free and Preferred accounts only...

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
11.06.2013 , 11:39 AM | #12 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by lironBD View Post
so I got this mail:



so let's say I want to quit swtor for few months until something interesting is added I'll lose my character names now ? :X
Hey Liron!

I wanted to clear up how the Name Renewal will work to alleviate any concerns that you have. You are obviously a subscriber right now, this means that even if you unsubscribe today, you will be completely unaffected. The reason is that you would then become a preferred status player. Preferred players are completely unaffected as long as they logged in to those specific characters within the last 90 days. Being how the name renewal is next week, that is far less than 90 days

Here are the exact rules for Character Name Renewal:

If you are a Free-to-Play player:
  • If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.
If you are a Preferred Status player:
  • If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename
  • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.
If you are or become a Subscriber:
  • You will be unaffected by this
As of right now this is a one time name renewal, so if you are unaffected on the 12th then you will not have to follow these rules unless we do a renewal again at a later date. Of course if we do that we will notify players of it so they can save their names.

TLDR - Nope, you are completely unaffected by this (except that some names might open up that you want!)
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
11.06.2013 , 11:48 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I have friends that are waiting for the names to get taken back so they can get free renames...then they intend to return. I was surprised to find out how many folks were actually waiting for this.
LOL.. I like it. Clever. People making lemonade from lemons so to speak.
MMOs mimic real life in some ways. Take challenges for example.... you can either use intellect and overcome a challenge or not. In other words, you can make lemonade from lemons, or you can just suck on the lemon. Up to you.

Zergnaut's Avatar


Zergnaut
11.06.2013 , 12:40 PM | #14
Since you are doing this, it will unlock name choices we did not have before. So you should also throw some FREE name changes to us Subbers!

Just Wishful Thinking!
The Sith Always Return. Darkness is necessary for there to be light.

Alternatively you can not defeat the Darkside without using it.

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
11.06.2013 , 12:45 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by lironBD View Post
so it's like "find the treasure" game?
they sent dreadful email which was written by dread master lacky warning against upcoming name purge and I should stay tuned to their blog?

just send the link with the email...
Well, since you are a subscriber, all your names are safe.
So they didn't need to send you the rules.
But off the top of my head these are the rules:
The character has to be from a F2P or Preferred account (so no subscriber will lose their name as long as they stay subbed).
The character needs to be below lvl 30 (not sure about this one, might have been from server transfers).
The character must have been inactive for "a long time" (and in MMO terms that means alot more than just a month or two).

So if you are just going to be going off sub for a few months, your names should be safe.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

NickM's Avatar


NickM
11.06.2013 , 12:55 PM | #16
Earlier today, I got the email as well.

From what I've read, since I'm a sub, I won't be affected. However, names of f2p and preferred player toons below level 30 will be flagged for rename if they haven't been played in X or Y amount of days.

Is that count starting from the 12th, or from the beginning of time?

Is there a name checker of sorts (other than creating a new toon and attempting to name it what you want to take) to see if the names are available on our server?

Thanks,

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
11.06.2013 , 01:33 PM | #17
The purge is happening ON 11/12, so obviously it's 90-180 days prior to that date.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Kurzaa's Avatar


Kurzaa
11.06.2013 , 01:41 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I have friends that are waiting for the names to get taken back so they can get free renames...then they intend to return. I was surprised to find out how many folks were actually waiting for this.
Interesting. Perhaps after the fallout from the rename is over, Bioware should consider a one-time voluntary name release.

Skodan's Avatar


Skodan
11.06.2013 , 05:05 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey Liron!

I wanted to clear up how the Name Renewal will work to alleviate any concerns that you have. You are obviously a subscriber right now, this means that even if you unsubscribe today, you will be completely unaffected. The reason is that you would then become a preferred status player. Preferred players are completely unaffected as long as they logged in to those specific characters within the last 90 days. Being how the name renewal is next week, that is far less than 90 days

Here are the exact rules for Character Name Renewal:

If you are a Free-to-Play player:
  • If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.
If you are a Preferred Status player:
  • If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename
  • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.
If you are or become a Subscriber:
  • You will be unaffected by this
As of right now this is a one time name renewal, so if you are unaffected on the 12th then you will not have to follow these rules unless we do a renewal again at a later date. Of course if we do that we will notify players of it so they can save their names.

TLDR - Nope, you are completely unaffected by this (except that some names might open up that you want!)
Could we possibly get a discount on the "Rename: Character name" item next week as well. Or maybe throw a couple more free renames at us
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

PLynkes's Avatar


PLynkes
11.06.2013 , 06:51 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Skodan View Post
Could we possibly get a discount on the "Rename: Character name" item next week as well. Or maybe throw a couple more free renames at us
Why on earth would they do that, when the whole idea behind this is to drum up business for the paid name change service?