Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR better than WoW?

Mounds
10.31.2013 , 12:21 PM | #21
i like Wow but can only play for max 4 months then unsub.

now SWTOR is well its STAR WARS i love it...
i like both we all have our reasons for playing... you have yours i have mine.

drop the one you arent enjoying or play one for a bit then switch and so fourth

Stncold
10.31.2013 , 12:29 PM | #22
As somebody currently playing both, here's how they match up. Not counting stuff like graphics since TOR is the obvious winner at that due to being newer.

PvE: WoW
PvP: TOR
Lore: Evenish, slightly in TOR's favor I'd say.
RP friendly: WoW.
Game performance: WoW
Quality of life stuff: WoW
Community: TOR

I like them both. I'm burned out of WoW atm and not really playing it, my sub ends next week and I'm debating whether to let it renew., but WoW is overall the better game, there are no questions. Frankly, WoW will always be the better game because of TOR's engine, it limits what can be done, and performance will always be sub-standard because of it. I will say that performance is a bit better, and Oricon doesn't have those areas of random FPS drops that Makeb does, but the engine is still terrible and short of overhauling it which I doubt will ever happen anytime soon, the best BW can do is make optimizations here and there.

While WoW will always be the better game, the gap between them could be really close if BW would stop adding in new bugs every patch while ignoring old ones, fix up a lot of stuff that needs fixing, add in cross-server and possibly merge Bastion/POT5 and JC/Shadowlands, make the game more RP'er friendly, add in more guild stuff, add in fun little distracts like pazaak, and make some class balance tweaks. If even most of these things were done, we'd see a massive rise in population.
Selthia-Guardian
Zarrec- Gunslinger Yorenec-Commando
POT5.
RIP The Fatman

Callaron
10.31.2013 , 01:13 PM | #23
Hmm, obviously you're going to get biased opinions here - just like you'll get if you post the same thing on the WoW forums.
Since I'm here and not over there the answer is obvious for me - SWTOR all the way.
As requested, three reasons:

1) SWTOR is a more interactive story experience.
2) Fully voiced.
3) Companions.

You'll also miss out on the bonus space ship for staying subscribed.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

AlrikFassbauer
10.31.2013 , 01:46 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Englefield View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so no one can choose for you.
I actually played that game. Eye of the Beholder. Was glad I could find a used copy on an flea market.

Oh, wait, wrong topic ...

Being more serious, I'm reading here because i never played WOW, and I'd like to find out what folks think about it. It's just curiosity, nothing else.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Adwynyth
11.02.2013 , 02:19 PM | #25
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

ImpactHound
11.05.2013 , 11:49 AM | #26
TOR has stronger story and lore, but story and lore shouldn't be the reason you're playing an MMO; go read a book.
WoW's gameplay is tighter from 10 years of polish, but I'm tired of the fantasy setting.
Here's hoping that Wildstar has Blizzard's polish with a sci-fi setting.

Lenlo
11.06.2013 , 06:27 AM | #27
As far as PvP class balance and PvP in general, despite all the whining to the contrary, PvP in TOR is far better than in WoW.
As far as PvE goes, they're pretty much the same.
The leveling experience is where they depart one another completely. I can actually enjoy leveling in TOR. Where as in WoW, I would rather skinny dip in sulfuric acid than go through another discombobulated level grind.
Quote:
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug
Our brains can't withstand mangled english of that magnitude!

Zendokun
11.06.2013 , 07:42 AM | #28
Play SWTOR and quit WoW. That's all I'm going say. Hope it helps make up your mind.
Random Guilds
The Bastion

VitalityPrime
11.06.2013 , 07:51 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
TOR has stronger story and lore, but story and lore shouldn't be the reason you're playing an MMO; go read a book.
WoW's gameplay is tighter from 10 years of polish, but I'm tired of the fantasy setting.
Here's hoping that Wildstar has Blizzard's polish with a sci-fi setting.
I don't play SWTOR because it's an MMO...I play it because it has great story and lore.

Telling people to go read a book instead, simply because they don't play a game for the same reasons you do is absurd.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no fear, there is power. I am the heart of the force. I am the revealing fire of light. I am the mystery of darkness, in balance with chaos and harmony...immortal in the force.

Infernixx
11.06.2013 , 09:41 AM | #30
WoW is a much more polished game with 10 years worth of experience in honing their MMO into a juggernaut. They freely borrow winning concepts and ideas from other MMOs and adapt them to their own MMO. And they're known as 'the' MMO of MMOs.

That said:

TOR is much better at telling a story, both personal and overarching. As you go through the Class stories, you find yourself realizing that each and every story in there is intertwined in the background, that what you do doesn't just impact 'your' story, but all the other Class stories as well.

TOR has better style. Whether it's the Agent giggle sound effect when they Snipe someone, or how Lightning Sorcs just look amazingly cool when they're in full rotation, there's more style to combat in TOR than in WoW.

And, within the last year, the gear sets for most of the Classes have become vastly better than anything I've seen in WoW, aside from a few really choice Warlock sets in WoW.

While WoW stole the idea of Transmog from TOR's adaptive armor concept, TOR maintains a lead in that area in a big way.

TOR developers seem far more intimately connected to the playerbase as opposed to WoW's developing team, which seems to have its own idea of what's necessary for the game and hardly seem concerned enough to even address player concerns regarding balance issues.

TOR seems to be putting out new content at a far quicker rate than WoW. It being the end of their MOP expansion, it's estimated that they'll be doing the last OP/Raid for at least 9 months before the next expansion hits their PTR and they've no plans to put anything out before then. Whereas, TOR has pushed a bunch of content patches out with new OPs, FPs, daily zones and PVP warzones, as well as Ranked PVP.

And with Galactic Starfighter coming in a month, it's safe to say that TOR has a far greater ability to release content at a quicker pace and, thus, keep its playerbase entertained and logging in. I speak from personal experience here, as I got vastly bored of the last Raid in MOP and didn't fancy putting 6 toons through the same content every week.

To me, it's a hands down victory for TOR. Else, why would I be here now?
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.