Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Makeb shows why continuing class stories are necessary

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Makeb shows why continuing class stories are necessary

Darth_Wicked
11.04.2013 , 04:29 AM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Has there been any word from the devs that class stories are no more or are we just extrapolating based on Makeb and the upcoming space shooter?
There's no extrapolation but rather information that people keep overlooking, just because they don't like the sound of it...
Quote:
Q: In a recent interview, you mentioned you mentioned that the writing direction of the future would be akin to the Avengers, bringing the individual stories together into one epic story. Could you elaborate on what this means for the future?

Hall: I can't reveal anything about our future plans, but we're always experimenting with new styles of storytelling for SWTOR. Some stories work especially well as a great big group team-up where players compete for the spotlight during conversations (hence the Avengers analogy), but that doesn't mean players have to be grouped in order to enjoy them. All of our content that isn't specifically written to be a class story is designed to work equally well whether you're in a group or flying solo.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...01#post5388001

Quote:
For one thing, the expansion won't feature unique quests for each of the game's eight classes; a process which would be "very, very expensive,"
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/25/413...cartel-preview

- - - -

And that's for one single planet(!) it would seem...

AlexDougherty
11.04.2013 , 05:15 AM | #202
I agree we need more class stories.

It doesn't even have to be anything special, just give quest givers who only give the mission to the appropriate class, a variation on level specific missions or the companion missions that are only doable in order. If a Smuggler talks to the smuggler mission giver, they get the mission, if a trooper or a marauder tries to talk to them, nothing!!, you could even allow them to shared the mission with friends, so a guild/group could have people doing all the missions, and earning social points.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

KennethHoover
11.04.2013 , 06:27 AM | #203
The incredibly obnoxious mob density on Makeb squelched my enthusiasm for that planet.

I would like to see more class stories myself. But I guess the cost is too prohibitive.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

Golconda
11.04.2013 , 06:33 AM | #204
I still enjoy the game but I have to say that I would also like to see some more class stories. I mean, I am on the Dark Council...what kind of insurance plans do we get? What is our dental? Do they cover outpatient? What are my retirement benefits?

These are the things that I really need to know for my future.

"All of us are in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
- Oscar Wilde
Rough Trade Gaming Community

Palar
11.04.2013 , 06:59 AM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
There's no extrapolation but rather information that people keep overlooking, just because they don't like the sound of it...
If you're going to be snide, at least link to something that actually says they're dead and buried.

Granted, you won't find it with their vague answers to anything,

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.04.2013 , 07:08 AM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by KennethHoover View Post
The incredibly obnoxious mob density on Makeb squelched my enthusiasm for that planet.
The game is centered around combat, combat, and more combat - what did you expect? Enjoying the view, building a house, playing uncle Owen?

Also, ich changed your quote font to Italic, it just looks more classy.

AlexDougherty
11.04.2013 , 07:56 AM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by Golconda View Post
I still enjoy the game but I have to say that I would also like to see some more class stories. I mean, I am on the Dark Council...what kind of insurance plans do we get? What is our dental? Do they cover outpatient? What are my retirement benefits?
Retirement benefits?? staggering backwards as your apprentice slices you in two, I guess.

The medical side would be carried out by either Med-Bot or your Protocol Droid (since he's a healer).

I believe though, that Dark Council members get free space ship and speeder insurance, with a courtesy ship/speeder if yours breaks down.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

midianlord
11.04.2013 , 10:12 AM | #208
The BioWare that gave us the class-stories is gone: Devoured/destroyed by EA.

The only way I can see them coming back is if they rig a "self-buy-out" (Heaven knows how, high finance is not my area of expertise), re-hiring their old talent that gave us early SW: tOR in the first place, having enough money to work, and then letting them work.

Do any of you see this as an even theoretical possibility at this time?
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
r/DPS 4 life
Spoiler

AlienEyeTX
11.04.2013 , 10:32 AM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Retirement benefits?? staggering backwards as your apprentice slices you in two, I guess.

The medical side would be carried out by either Med-Bot or your Protocol Droid (since he's a healer).

I believe though, that Dark Council members get free space ship and speeder insurance, with a courtesy ship/speeder if yours breaks down.
As a member of the dark council, I don't have time to fly myself anywhere. I need a personal pilot so that I can check status reports and watch the Galactic News Network during my commute in the morning. Someone had also better have a cup of coffee and a breakfast taco waiting for me. Don't worry about keeping it warm... I can take care of that.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

AlienEyeTX
11.04.2013 , 10:38 AM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by midianlord View Post
The BioWare that gave us the class-stories is gone: Devoured/destroyed by EA.

The only way I can see them coming back is if they rig a "self-buy-out" (Heaven knows how, high finance is not my area of expertise), re-hiring their old talent that gave us early SW: tOR in the first place, having enough money to work, and then letting them work.

Do any of you see this as an even theoretical possibility at this time?
I don't think that would be the answer. They could only do it as part of a massive expansion. Such an expansion would require a substantial increase in resources, which they cannot afford. Remember all those layoffs that they did after the game was released? Yeah, that was all the talent that it took to build the game. The same sort of resources would be required for the type of expansion/story-telling that a lot of us want. Unfortunately, it's just not feasible.

Personally, I'd be happy if they gave us one or two tiny missions that were class-specific with each expansion. Just a little something to keep it personal. That would require additional resources, but shouldn't be too bad. But, you know, I doubt they would do that. I think when it comes to the stories they want to go big or not at all.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric