Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guardian Tanking Guide to HM Nefra

Falver
11.03.2013 , 01:40 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by BladeBoques View Post
Okay I am glad to have your support on hybrid on that level. Can you explain what you both mean by only useful if that is the offtank's build? I don't understand. The person who uses the focused defense aggro drop coupled with his two taunts can force the boss to stay on him through that extra 15% DR increase. So that keeps the boss on him through his added defense and why I run it as a main tank. An offtank using this would not utilize the defenses other than for split attacks only. Wouldn't we want this hybrid taking the boss the majority of the time since their taunts negate the aggro drop anyway?
The simple answer: having to blow both taunts just to marginally be better than a standard defense build is hardly an asset.
The Harbinger
Claimed - Thirteenth - Falver
<Phobos> is recruiting to fill in multiple raid groups. Apply at http://fearphobos.com/

Justcae
11.03.2013 , 08:18 AM | #22
Not going to bother with a whole lot of quotes here. Just trying to make a summary of what I'm seeing.

The Hybrid build looks like a neat twist on Guardian tanking. It becomes tied to a gimmick almost. I think you are probably going to see more DR with the Focused Defense in Hybrid than the 30s off of each cooldown you'd get from full defense. I do think you give up a great deal of utility for that DR though. I wouldn't use the build on my guardian alt but its an interesting perspective none the less. Having watched your video and seen the mechanics going on though I do have a suggestion if you want.

Nefra is an interesting boss in that it doesn't have an autoattack at all. It has it's main attack "Twin Attack", and the DoT it occasionally puts out "Voice of The Masters." Because it doesn't have an auto attack each tank is getting hit by the same stuff at the same time. There's no need for you to blow your AoE after a drop. You could simply hand of threat duty to your co partner. If you wanted to use your Guardian Leap to lower his damage in take you could save your AoE or ST for that.. I may leave that by the wayside though. Anyways, long story short, if you had him hold aggro you could do your Focused Defense thing on cooldown without worrying about the AoE thing. It'll still be just as effective and you won't ever have to see the boss turn away and crush your raid in the beginning.

I think the build going forward in your progression will require you build your strategies specifically around what and where your build will be able to function to its utmost. But if you guys are enjoying it, and progressing all the power to you.

I'd ask out of curiosity how much damage are you seeing in your logs on Nefra? Or more specifically just the the Twin Attack total. For instance my last four clears I had 244k (2m38s), 269k (2m41s), 249k (2m43s), 252k (2m42s).

Best wishes in you endeavours going forward. Hope your twitch thing works out for you.

Vaidinah
11.03.2013 , 02:39 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BladeBoques View Post
Okay I am glad to have your support on hybrid on that level. Can you explain what you both mean by only useful if that is the offtank's build? I don't understand. The person who uses the focused defense aggro drop coupled with his two taunts can force the boss to stay on him through that extra 15% DR increase. So that keeps the boss on him through his added defense and why I run it as a main tank. An offtank using this would not utilize the defenses other than for split attacks only. Wouldn't we want this hybrid taking the boss the majority of the time since their taunts negate the aggro drop anyway?
Nefra is unique in that the tank not holding it takes more damage than the "main tank". Thus, to make best use of your 15% DR bonus on Focused/Enraged Defense, you'd want to be the off-tank (aka not holding the boss) to prevent the most damage. Also, to clarify, Focused/Enraged Defense has a 45 second cooldown, but would be used around every 60 for the DoT (Voice of the Masters) since it happens every 30 seconds.

As for DPS, my full Immortal Juggernaught is still putting out 1250 DPS on this fight while off-tanking and using Enraged Defense every 60 seconds (2 uses total). Using Focused/Enraged Defense with the hybrid will probably hurt your tank DPS a lot more since it's already resource starved in the first place.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

BladeBoques
11.04.2013 , 08:09 AM | #24
I'll let ya know Justcae, travelling for business this weekend but I'll be back to my computer with the combat logs on Tuesday. I did not know the tank with aggro takes less damage, how was this figured out? Did someone test it with the same two tanks in each role many times each and averaged out the hits? I am relatively new to the forum community side of the game so I likely missed such testing.
Guardian Main Tank BladeBoques
Guild Leader of Exceptional Legion
Best Raid Leader I can be! Live Stream