Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup
09.03.2013 , 07:14 PM | #1
This guide should be a good starting point for people who want to get more out of their companions. If you have any more suggestions or comments let me know.

Updates:
July 20th 2014: Swapped Tank aug priority. Shield > Absorb.

July 19th 2014: Added DPS Parse summary.

July 13th 2014: Added Parse Examples/results, check out Vector!

July 12th 2014: Minor corrections. Added parse info on all Heroic Moment Skills!

Jan 12th 2014: Updated Gearing section with differences, augs and improved recommendations. Couple more notes on HK and Treek.

Dec 29th 2013: Updated Parse section with Parsec data. Added HK Droid part Mat list.

Presence:
Presence affects your companions Health, Heals and Damage. Mostly health.

Youíll get +100 legacy presence from unlocking the human species. If you have not yet, you can find it under legacy and just purchase there.

How much your companion likes you has no effect on itís combat capability. It will help you unlock presence or character bonuses though. Finish all your companion quest conversations. This means get their affection to 8000-10000 and talk till they are worn out. Youíll get a +10 permanent presence bonus for each companion. This can add up to 200 on imp and 200 on pub side.

Datacrons also give presence. Itís not legacy though, so I wouldn't rush to get them unless youíre bored.

Class Buffs:
Your companions benefit from class buffs, just like you do. Make sure they have them on before battle. Finish your chapter 2 with all 4 classes and youíll have the legacy class buffs for all your characters.

Unity:
This skill reduces the damage you and your companion take. You can purchase it, or get a lightside character to unlock it for your legacy. This skill is easily forgotten but can save your hide in a tough fight. Use it often, it's CD is much less than heroic.

Sacrifice:
I have not found a good use for this skill.

Heroic Moment:
This skill heals you and your companion for the duration as well as enabling any of the cool heroic moves you have unlocked (Chapter 3 with any of the 8 classes). Since these are heavy hitting abilities, plan them out as well as possible. You may want to use a stun before your channeled abilities like flame thrower or orbital strike.

Damage per Heroic Ability at 55 with 180 rating gear:
Legacy Orbital Strike: 25,172
Legacy Force Choke: 18,709
Legacy Flame Thrower: 18,344
Legacy Force Sweep: 8,510
Legacy Lightning Storm: 5,819
Legacy Dirty Kick: 4,839
Legacy Project: 4,316
Legacy Sticky Grenade: 2,780

Turn on skills:
By default any AOE damaging attacks are turned off so that your companion doesn't break CCs. Turn them on ASAP! Vette's grenade makes her a beast at low levels.

Enable the correct stance:
All companions (except HK) have 2 stances. Healers have a Heal stance and a DPS stance. Tanks have a tank and a DPS stance. Treek has a tank or a Heal stance. Sometimes they will turn themselves off (bug), make sure you have one on. For melee DPS, The Damage over Time stance seems to perform better than the Armor piercing in my parsing. For Ranged DPS, Iíd go for the AOE damage buff most of the time and use the single target for harder or single mobs, depending on your playstyle.

Gearing:
How are companions different?:
Spoiler

For Heals:
Power first.
(Optional) Crit up to 300.
Surge to 400
Alacrity (OR Accuracy if you want additional DPS from them. May be preferred if you're tanking)
Augments: Power, Mainstat if sharing gear with player.

For DPS:
Power first.
(Optional) Crit up to 300.
Accuracy to 97%
Surge to 400
Accuracy
Augments: Power, Mainstat if sharing gear with player.

For Tanks (If you're healing):
Absorb
Shield
(Optional) Defense up to 300
Endurance
Augments: Shield > Absorb > Fortitude.

For Tanks (If you're not healing):
Endurance
Absorb
Shield
(Optional) Defense up to 300
Augments: Fortitude > Shield > Absorb.

Legacy Gear:
Unless you REALLY want to put a skirt on your Mako or Ensign (canít blame you for that), Iíd recommend using Legacy gear any chance you get. This way you can gear up your companion well and then share that gear with any of your other characters or alts. This is especially valuable when you aug a set of gear (around 2 mil).

Treek:
This girl is amazing. She can be a tank or a healer and one legacy set of Aim gear can now be passed between every one of your characters for her. Blaster riffle or Blaster pistols work. Make sure youíre using a generator instead of a shield generator if you have her healing as well as the correct stats. For tanking, as far as I can tell she doesn't have an AOE taunt, but she will use her single target often as needed and her AOEs do generate a lot of threat. She does a bit more damage in tank stance also. Treek Customization is 300 cartel, and then 50 per to unlock for your legacy. Nice to have if you use her a lot.

HK:
The ultimate Single Target DPS. Heís the only DPS with a kill shot, a combo, a CC, Agro drop and 30% heal. If youíre fighting a lot of trash his dps might be lower with the lack of AOE. Iíd recommend him if you CC a lot, if you tank, or if you can afford some of the killer 75 level droid gear. Heís also a great set and forget dps, you can ignore him and heíll usually get himself out of trouble without any micro management. HK can use aim OR cunning, if possible split his gear between both for best results. Although he can use a blaster riffle, you'll get a little higher DPS from sticking with a sniper rifle. (The blue MR-38 or red MR-39 are my favorites right now and cheap). I'm a big fan of the Legacy Bound HK customization on Zcerka vendor if you havn't seen it yet.

HK Droid Parts:
Spoiler

Healer Skills:
All healers except consulars have to stop healing to channel their CC, so turn it off! If youíre in a hard boss fight, you can click it to use as an interupt. Also, they usually have one channeled attack and one DoT attack. Turn off the channeled attack always and the dot attack if you plan to CC things.

Tank Skills and Tips:
You may want to micromanage some tank skills if youíre a squishy healer. Their AOE taunt has a LONG cooldown and if a comp jumps in and uses it right away, it wonít do much to hold agro. Let them jump in, start fighting a bit and then if mobs start to stray have your comp use the AOE taunt then. For ranged tanks, I often start a fight using a their melee attack, that way they get up on the mob before starting a fight. The pub droid tank has a grapple, I turn that off so that he runs to them instead of bringing the mobs closer to me. If youíre a sorc/sage, bubble your companion before telling it to attack, that little change will save a lot of agro issues.

Leveling Gear:
Usually you can buy a near full set of greens off the GTN for like 25k. Get them with the right stats and for your level and you should cover most your gearing needs. If you want to be well geared, Iíd recommend doing your daily flashpoint, which will get you orange gear that you can mix and match mods from and planet comms for buying new mods. Remember pre-50 you can put an armoring from one slot into any other type of piece.

PVP:
Expertise does affect companions as well, so itís nice if you can use pvp gear on your comps.. Heals is least important as long as heís not getting focused. Also remember when you stun a companion, the resolve is shared with the player, so you might want to turn off CCs on your comp. Keep your heroic moment and unity handy, it can make a big difference.

Parsing:
In full 180s, expect to see these type of numbers on a boss:
1200 dps - Melee DPS in DOT stance (1400+ with optimized 180s and some 186s)
1050 dps - Melee DPS in Armor Penetration stance
920 dps - HK (174s)
900 dps - Tank in DPS stance
880 dps - Ranged DPS in single target stance
820 dps - Tank in Tank stance
820 dps - Treek in Tank stance
760 dps - Healer in DPS stance
740 dps - Treek in Heal stance
720 dps - Healer in Heal stance

600 hps - Treek Heals single target, 900 AOE
500 hps - Standard Healer single target, 750 AOE

Parsec is really great for giving instant updates to the damage your comp is doing. Torparse has a bit of a delay but will let you see the damage breakdown by skill.

Example Parses:
Spoiler

Keybindings and Interface:
You can rebind any of your companion skills. Control + whatever can be a pain. Especially for healers, youíll want to make sure your companion is attacking anything thats trying to hurt you.

As heals, if you use operations frames instead of Group frames, you can set your group memberís companion as Focus Target (Alt F) so itís easy to keep track of itís health during a fight.

Final Notes:

I hope you found this guide helpful. Please add any questions or comments. I'll edit and clean up along the way.
Kevgent - GuildMaster of <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
Like Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/smycs
Always Recruiting | Companion Guide | PVP Tanking Guide

EyelessOne
09.07.2013 , 02:08 PM | #2
Stumbled on this by accident through Google. Excellent info - thanks for the nice summary!

AzlanWhite
09.07.2013 , 03:43 PM | #3
Agreed, this definitely gave me a foothold on how to start gearing up my comps. (Especially for tanks and dps companions)

Very nice work bud.

EspadaRojo
11.03.2013 , 05:51 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by EyelessOne View Post
Stumbled on this by accident through Google. Excellent info - thanks for the nice summary!
Same. Thanks for putting something together, there's amazingly little info on the subject.

And everyone says, "Check the Codex," when the Codex basically only says "Main stat: Aim. Secondary Stat: Endurance" which is incredibly worthless, given Endurance is kind of a constant on gear.

Sivn
11.21.2013 , 02:20 PM | #5
I guess this is still the way to go?

Power, Surge, crit, forget alacrity and accuracy unless your companion is in top raid gear?

Elainya
11.21.2013 , 08:56 PM | #6
Your guide looks great! Good info!
Torezz ~ Guildmaster of Imperial ~ The Shadowlands
Check us out on Facebook and visit Noxxic.com!
"Insert clever or catchy star wars themed quote here"

ellenbec
11.30.2013 , 03:20 PM | #7
The only question I have is HOW is crit bugged?

Oh, and Treek is female also.

Good write up besides those two points.
Khuri-PT Operations Lead Covenant Shadows - The Ebon Hawk (US East) Armory Link

Gault: "I'd like to take this moment to remind you that you are not, in fact, a hovertank - no matter how much you dress like one."

KevMeup
12.16.2013 , 08:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sivn View Post
I guess this is still the way to go?

Power, Surge, crit, forget alacrity and accuracy unless your companion is in top raid gear?
Yup. Power, Surge over 60%, after that I don't think you'll see major changes. I'll post though if I find anything conclusive in future tests.

KevMeup
12.16.2013 , 09:03 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ellenbec View Post
The only question I have is HOW is crit bugged?

Oh, and Treek is female also.

Good write up besides those two points.
Thank you!

I updated wording for Treek.

I will look into rewording the crit part. The devs are not happy with how crit performs in 2.0. Comps take a further hit to their stats since they don't have skill tree bonuses. I don't think I'd ever prioritize crit over power for a comp. Up to 300 crit isn't bad though, HK's parts give him that, and Cunning/Power/Accuracy on everything else works well.

ellenbec
12.16.2013 , 10:48 PM | #10
I would definitely say that crit isn't broken, but it has a much higher conversion rate from rating to % than surge, accuracy, or alacrity even before you get into any kind of Diminishing Return. The Devs gave it such a big value during Beta because of how good it turned out for every DPS and Healer.
Khuri-PT Operations Lead Covenant Shadows - The Ebon Hawk (US East) Armory Link

Gault: "I'd like to take this moment to remind you that you are not, in fact, a hovertank - no matter how much you dress like one."