Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ideal Tank Stat Distribution in 2.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Ideal Tank Stat Distribution in 2.0

dudeyoumadbro
10.29.2013 , 10:25 AM | #951
Yeah around 5 of my Mods are the "B" Variant, well ****. guess its GTN time.
The Leto Legacy
Athius - Jedi Guardian Stiffler - Scoundrel Annadorf - Vanguard Ellesif - Jedi Sage
Dalexs - Mercenary Dethex - Marauder Tights - Sniper Dythius - Assassian
The Bastion - PvP

THoK-Zeus
10.29.2013 , 10:48 AM | #952
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Thundering Blast is F/T, though the majority of the damage in that fight comes from Shock, which is (oddly) M/R. I think Bestia actually biases more towards shield/absorb than Tyrans does, though Tyrans is definitely a low defense boss far more than something like Nefra or Grob'thok.
Yes, thats right. But generally almost all of the bosses have their majority of their tank damage m/r based.

Bioware seems to always have atleast 1 standard attack on the main tank which is m/r (and therefore defendable) based and often used.

Therefore a f/t heavy Encounter for me is something like 30% f/t damage .

@dudeyoumadbro: Well you can go for the average out of dread palace/dread fortress for gearing with one set (in the opening post) which is actually quite near to your stat Distribution . Tyrans has almost the most f/t damage out of the whole 2 operations (bestia has slightly more afaik but she's more of a dps check) and it deals a lot of sustained tank damage, so especially additional absorb rating would be definitliy viable for this boss.

Tyrans is one of the (few) bosses guardians are probably the worst tanks on. A lot of sustained force/tech damage on the tank is difficult to tank for guardians cause without their cooldowns they migate a lot less of the force/tech damage then the other two tank classes (due to their shield/absorb generally being lower).

Generally speaking health is not that important for juggernaut/Guardians. It's generally better to get more defense/shield/absorb rating then endurance and in my opinion tyrans is one of the bosses that shows that.

elidion
10.29.2013 , 12:04 PM | #953
Quote: Originally Posted by dudeyoumadbro View Post
SO basically there is no way around two sets for tanking, as you said the gearing is different per Op. Damn. I am patching at the moment and I will confirm that I do have "B" mods and high endurance.
Technically you don't need 2 Sets you just need 2 or 3 extra pieces of gear, for example, have a pair of boots loaded with non lettered weighted mod/Bulwark enhancement w/ Absorb Augment, with a pair of boots non lettered deflecting Mod/Bastion Enhancement w/Defense Augment. That one item can let you change +/- 140 Defense or Absorb, doing that with a belt or bracer is +/- 101 (assuming 34 mods/enhancements).

According to KBN's numbers the difference between the 2 sets for a guardian at a 2700 budget is 262 absorb/defense. So if you have those 2 items I posted above it will allow you to swap between 241.

If people really want to gear 2 sets, it seems silly to me to have a DF and DP set. because in DF, you have Corrupter Zero and Brontes which does a lot of F/T, and in DP you have Calphayus that is primarily M/R.

The best way would be to optimize PER boss, like I do, but if you want to have 2 solid sets, it seems like having a Nefra/Draxus/Grob'Thok/Calphayus Set and a Corrupter Zero/Brontes/Bestia/Tyrans/Raptus Set would be a much more efficient way of going about it.

dudeyoumadbro
10.29.2013 , 04:55 PM | #954
Quote: Originally Posted by THoK-Zeus View Post
Yes, thats right. But generally almost all of the bosses have their majority of their tank damage m/r based.

Bioware seems to always have atleast 1 standard attack on the main tank which is m/r (and therefore defendable) based and often used.

Therefore a f/t heavy Encounter for me is something like 30% f/t damage .

@dudeyoumadbro: Well you can go for the average out of dread palace/dread fortress for gearing with one set (in the opening post) which is actually quite near to your stat Distribution . Tyrans has almost the most f/t damage out of the whole 2 operations (bestia has slightly more afaik but she's more of a dps check) and it deals a lot of sustained tank damage, so especially additional absorb rating would be definitliy viable for this boss.

Tyrans is one of the (few) bosses guardians are probably the worst tanks on. A lot of sustained force/tech damage on the tank is difficult to tank for guardians cause without their cooldowns they migate a lot less of the force/tech damage then the other two tank classes (due to their shield/absorb generally being lower).

Generally speaking health is not that important for juggernaut/Guardians. It's generally better to get more defense/shield/absorb rating then endurance and in my opinion tyrans is one of the bosses that shows that.
I might actually go with this rather then 2 gear sets, I did a gear check on myself and there are lots I can replace, mostly the B mods really. after then I should be GTG, I do want to try what the guy posted below you by using boots and swaping those out.
The Leto Legacy
Athius - Jedi Guardian Stiffler - Scoundrel Annadorf - Vanguard Ellesif - Jedi Sage
Dalexs - Mercenary Dethex - Marauder Tights - Sniper Dythius - Assassian
The Bastion - PvP

mongoosee
10.30.2013 , 05:39 PM | #955
All of these numbers and calculations gave me a headache. Can somebody help to summarize the approximate ideal Def/Shield/Abs stats in percentage for all 3 tanks in full 78 gear?

psandak
10.30.2013 , 09:42 PM | #956
Quote: Originally Posted by mongoosee View Post
All of these numbers and calculations gave me a headache. Can somebody help to summarize the approximate ideal Def/Shield/Abs stats in percentage for all 3 tanks in full 78 gear?
Not as hard as you think:

Take your tank's defensive stat ratings and add them together: that is the first column of numbers in all the lists. Find your character's sum total number and then look at each of the individual stats on that line. The row shows the ideal/optimized stat distribution. Now go back to each of your tank's defensive stats, if they do not match up you have some work to do.
Probability 101
The Harbinger, Ortzid Legacy
Dalkery - Sawbones, Car'beerd - Jedi Guardian,
Blairnah - Jedi Sage, Ulunnes - Commando

KeyboardNinja
10.31.2013 , 11:44 AM | #957
Updated the OP with new numbers calculated based on elidion's defense and shield minima. Also, I corrected a slight error in the mean survivability function with respect to healing bonuses. Specifically, a bonus to healing received cannot be accounted by treating it as an additional form of DR. Intuitively, if you had a 100% bonus to healing received, you wouldn't take zero damage. :-)

The actual way to account for this is to treat it as a percent increase on the healing (which is exactly what it is) and divide by that. Thus:

mean-mitigation / (1 + heal-bonus)

As opposed to:

1 - (1 - mean-mitigation) * (1 - heal-bonus)

…which is how I had been accounting for this term previously. Heal bonuses are so small that the difference this makes is almost non-existent, but it does make the expression more theoretically accurate.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank)

mongoosee
10.31.2013 , 02:39 PM | #958
It's not hard.. I just want to see what most folks have with the current 78 gear.
Something like " I'm a PT tank and i'm 20/40/40 as Def/Shield/Abs". Or something like that.. Regardless of what the math says.. I just want to see what folks r rocking at the moment.

Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Not as hard as you think:

Take your tank's defensive stat ratings and add them together: that is the first column of numbers in all the lists. Find your character's sum total number and then look at each of the individual stats on that line. The row shows the ideal/optimized stat distribution. Now go back to each of your tank's defensive stats, if they do not match up you have some work to do.

mongoosee
10.31.2013 , 07:37 PM | #960
Thx for the info. Here is what I see for the PT tank that you posted.
Defense: 517 = 16%
Shield: 1228 = 43.96%
Absorption: 976 = 45.20%
Total Stat = 2721.

Now compare those numbers with {2700,{defense->1035,shield->1023,absorb->642}}. They are way off.
What I'm confused is that the math says more Def and less shield/absorption. However, most folks are still doing less Defense and more shield/abs.

Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post