The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Comments

@marissalf: From a mother's point of view Gault seems to be a better choice, at least if you want your daughter to survive.

“You’re more than enough, Vector. You always will be.”
*sigh*

@alaurin: Liked the Mari, Jorgan, Kian story, the end of this story is probably only the beginning of awkward for Jorgan, hehe.

“Yes,” Kat nodded, her voice cracking a little, “I made it quick in the end…..clan justice wasn’t worth the price of my soul.”
Good for her to recognize the price she was about to pay.

@Gaeriel_Averrod: Welcome! Great story.

@Lesaberisa: Ayrs figth with the tie was great! I giggled a lot.

Knowing what will happen makes me feel for Malicineve, I suppose she will believe her father was right.

And I'm curious about how the story about Amurri will evolve.

@bright_ephemera: I love the advice. No need to complicate matters if a simple solution will work.

"It's poor form to be absent at your target's death."

"No. No, it’s poor form to get killed by your target at their not-death. Obliterating his ship while he's on it, then moving in to blow up the wreckage afterward, that's ideal form. I’m pretty sure there are textbooks about it."

Wynston and Quinn are always great.

@DarthSillyMonkey: Great story! And I had to hide behind my monitor when I reached Metallikat. I'd like to join the fanclub! They probably have the right hairstyle without the permanent waves of the 80s. :D

Still wondering what Fenn'rys is trying to achieve. I am starting to hope that Drokk'it will find out before it is too late for him. (Even if I already know that he will survive.) I'll put her in the Lokin-box!

@YoshiRaphElan:

"Ahem," Vette hissed from nearby.

"Not as perky as Vette, though," Methic added quickly, "not nearly as perky. Or...blue."

That made me laugh.

And I liked Retrac hesitating after Prudii's advice. Probably good advice but not exactly what he wanted to hear.

@theStirge: Thanks for the pictures.

it makes me laugh every time someone looks at my frankly stunning bodycount and still thinks that I'm a pacifist or unwilling to do what is necessary.
I like that sentence.

@Striges: I'd like to have this option ingame.

@Lesaberisa: I love the black-furred spukamas. It has to be good luck for a female Jedi if a male Sith thinks it's bad luck. Don't listen to Scourge, Amitia!

Tyrus tossed me a portable control for his machines. “Secure the relevant information.”
I suppose an agent needs a lot of euphemisms.

Thanks for all the kind comments on the last part of Nik's and Zal's story. The next part prooved to be recalcitrant. I decided to take the beginning and give it an individual part for the current featured NotLP. Divide and conquer!

Prompt - What If?

Title - Hating Ord Mantell V

Class - Trooper (Nikeo)

Words - About 385

Spoilers - no spoilers

After taking a shower Nikeo searched for the equipment he’d need to treat Zal’s wound. Needles wasn’t there but he managed to find everything he’d been looking for in the med bay. His own equipment was still in the downed walker. He hoped, he’d have the chance to retrieve it. It contained only simple tools, but he’d grown fond of them, even if he hadn’t used them as often in the last few years as he had back on Coruscant.

Doc had given them to him as a farewell gift the day he left for the academy. He wondered what had become of Doc. He had been what 60 or 65? They’d agreed to break off contact, as it would be hard enough for Nik at the academy without all too obvious connections to the underworld. Doc had helped him to obtain a scholarship. After that he had been on his own. He supposed he had reason to be satisfied with his achievements so far. He had found friends at the academy, but still it would have been nice to have a family to make proud. After his brother Nat’s disappearance Doc had been the only one resembling family left. Maybe he should make some inquiries if he someday got to Coruscant.

Nik’s mind briefly flickered to Iz. Iz—blond poison on long legs. The last time he had seen Nat they had been arguing about her, nearly coming to blows. He didn’t sleep with her again afterwards, but the damage had been done and he hadn’t received a chance to mend the rift it had caused between him and Nat. Nat had rushed off and vanished. He had often wondered what would have happened if he had been able to resist the temptation. Maybe they would all still be on Coruscant. Maybe he would have gone to the academy anyway. Either way he wouldn’t be feeling guilty every time he thought about his brother. He still missed him. He was out there somewhere, he had to be. “Take care, Nat!” he whispered.

By the Force, what was he doing, dwelling on gloomy thoughts, while one of the most beautiful women he’d ever met was waiting for him? Must be this disastrous planet. He grabbed the bag he’d packed and headed over to Rendia Freight.

Notes

Previous parts of the story:

Hating Ord Mantell I

Hating Ord Mantell II

Hating Ord Mantell III

Hating Ord Mantell IV

Iz and Doc were mentioned here.

The event probably had much more impact on Thorns story. Because of his fight with Nik he didn't wait for Iz. That led to his capture and service on Ord Mantell. I am quite sure he wouldn't have participated in the Great Hunt.

I have some ideas that might make it to the AU-thread if I find the time to write them down properly.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm still reading what I can, and still loving everything I read.

Just tossing a "What if..." out there for anyone who wants to tackle it.

Vette is, in gameplay, most like a gunslinger. She's been a little of everything, and seems like she'd be a good smuggler.

What if she WAS a smuggler, going through the same thing a player smuggler does?

Specifically, I can imagine that the (VERY minor Sith Warrior companion conversation spoiler, minor "who are the companions" Smuggler spoiler)...

reunion with Risha

...would be a fun one to write.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write it now...but I'd love love LOVE to read how y'all would treat any part of that story. Hell, maybe one of you could run with it and get another whole story thread out of it.

See you soon (I hope)! :D

Quicky Comment for Frauzet! Awesome. Loved the tidbits of insight to the past and his thoughts. As always, looking forward to more!

And now to the story! Where, after meeting Lt. Elara Dorne, Drokk wins her love, and they embark on a whirlwind romance across the galaxy! Where, a jealous Mako vows her revenge after being jilted! Where, Fenn'rys repents her ways, and chases after Drokk in order to bring him to justice! Where, Blizz switches sides, and builds an amazing explosion machine that wins the war for the Republic and serves coffee to everyone! Where, Doc, Vector, Quinn, and Face from the A-Team join forces to woo the women of the Empire, increasing sales of anti-nausea medication across the galaxy!

Welcome to...General BH-sptial!

(No actual Blizz, Doc, Vector, Quinn, Face-man, or any of their stand-ins make an appearance in this story.)

Prompt: Allies (maybe?) / Seven Virtues (Charity?) / Making crap up on the fly (Totally!)

Class: Bounty Hunter (Drokk'it) / IA (Fenn'rys) / Trooper companion (Elara Dorne)

Title: The Fenn'rys Jobs, Pt.7

Words: 4650'ish

Timeframe: here, and here, and then here

Spoilers: Using something that happens during the SCORPIO conversation line, nothing else really.

No Mando'a this time around! (Elara doesn't approve of it.)

"Why not Drokky-poo? Don't be such a candy-a*s. Let's get it on!"

Drokk looked at the Ratattaki female who was staring at him in earnest. He put down the grav-resist dumbbells and wiped his face with a towel. This was pretty d*mn early for her.

"Kaliyo, you don't want to fight me."

"Sure I do! I'm always up for a challenge, handsome", she purred.

"Riiiiight", he rolled his eyes.

"What, you think I'm not good enough? You think you can take me?!" her voice raised and her tone became indignant.

He sighed, exasperated. "No, Kaliyo. I'm not sure you know how to fight. I think you consider it foreplay."

"Well, with the right people, it can be", she winked at him.

"Look, I've fought against you and with you. The first one got me a hole in my lip, knocked unconscious by a freaking rock, and I woke up naked. The second one, I had to guard my crotch from you while fighting guys trying to kill us with cleavers! Then, when we got back, I had to have a guard when I showered for nearly a week!"

"Awww, c'mon Drokky-poo, little pain and then a lot of pleasure? You can't tell me that ain't a good time." her tone was seductive.

"The answer is NO, Kaliyo."

"It's a big galaxy, I'm sure that means 'yes' somewhere!" She lunged at him.

Drokk had been expecting this. Kaliyo's vocabulary had lost the word 'no' long before he came around. He grabbed her outstretched wrist, twisted it back on itself, and drove it to the ground hard, just like Fenn taught him. He couldn't take chances with this woman, if he broke something, Lokin could fix it.

Kaliyo screamed as her momentum changed from forward to upwards and then straight down. She grit her teeth and kicked Drokk in the knee, loosening his hold. Then she twisted, somehow breaking the lock, and rolled away to her feet.

"Now THAT'S more like it, big man!" she grinned wickedly, her eyes wide.

Oi. Seriously, how is she not dead? Drokk grabbed one of the grav-dumbbells.

She quickly started to move in on him. Using his momentum, he swung at her, dumbbell in hand, and hit her square in the nose. She stumbled back, stunned by the blow.

Knowing that wouldn't last long, he grabbed his towel and ran out of the cargo bay. When he was a few steps into the hall, he tossed the towel down the corridor, and then ducked into the engine room.

As the door shut, he could hear the cargo bay access slide open across the hall. He heard her spit and then yell, "Droooky'poo, come out and plaeeaaay!" Her footsteps then disappeared down the hall.

He sighed heavily and leaned his back against the door, happy to get away from the Ratattaki psychopath.

"You aren't supposed to be here, hunter. Initiating termination protocols."

Drokk opened his eyes and saw several things at once.

There was SCORPIO, or the body at least, looking like she was powered down.

Over by the operating console stood a blue holographic image of a female he'd never seen before. She didn't look pleased.

In the back of the engineering platform was a laser containment cell. The same he used to haul marks back to wherever their sorry a*ses needed to go. Inside was a blond woman, hair pulled back but disheveled. She was dressed casually, but no makeup and it looked like she'd not slept in days. She was stun cuffed to a chair, both ankles and hands, and she could barely raise her head to see what the commotion was about.

Drokk was processing all of this when the holo person disappeared. Suddenly, SCORPIO was moving towards him, electro-staff crackling at both ends.

"Whoa, whoa, WHOA! SCORPIO! I'm a friendly, remember?!" He barely dodged the thrust that landed where his head used to be. He could feel his beard hair rise from the static the staff was generating.

FRAG! This is gonna hurt without my armor!

SCORPIO grabbed him and threw him at the laser cage. He managed to fall to the ground and roll away from it, but she was on top of him in a heartbeat. He quickly rolled to his back and saw the staff coming towards his chest. He kicked it to the side with a foot, allowing him to grab the middle of it with both hands. Now, it was a fight for who controlled the staff.

Wait... is she laughing? She yanked him to his feet with incredible force, and brought her knee to his gut.

He was really starting to regret leaving his bunk this morning. All I wanted was a workout, dammit!

Drokk held onto the staff and managed to avoid a third knee. He cocked his leg, and kicked out as hard as he could into SCORPIO's midsection. Holding the staff, he was forced to follow as she flew back, but her grip loosened and he managed to regain his balance, causing the android to release the staff as she flew back onto the ground.

"I now understand why the Agent has chosen not to terminate you yet." She said in monotone, as she rose.

"You're quite formidable and I thank you for this new experience. I believe humans call it being humbled. I don't enjoy it, however, and will be forced to inform the Agent that you came too close to the engine turbines during this encounter."

"Thank you for your concern, SCORPIO," Fenn'rys said as the engine room door slid open, "but I'm afraid rumors of Drokk'it's death may be a bit premature. Protocol Foxtrot 23-9-17, engage!"

SCORPIO seized up for a moment, and then fell to the ground.

Drokk leaned against the warning bar of the platform. "Frag, Fenn. Took your time didn't you?"

The Agent crossed her arms and leaned against the door frame. She was dressed in exercise attire, "Well, I would have intervened sooner, but I was under the impression you wanted a workout?" she grinned.

"Yeah, was doing fine on my own, before all this. Thanks." He looked at the blond woman, "What's she doing here?"

Fenn'rys' smile faded, "Well, now that you know about her, it's time you were made aware. Shower and meet me in the briefing room."

"Her name is Elara Dorne. She's a Lieutenant in Republic Special Operations, Code Name: HAVOC."

Drokk kicked back with his armored feet on the table, hands behind his head. "Yeah, I've heard of them. They put Imperial Spec Ops to shame. When did you guys grab her?"

"Several days ago. Ensign Temple informed me of an opportunity while we were on Fedalle, chasing Col. Flagnarn. I ordered her to take it."

Drokk sat up. "And you didn't let me know because...?"

Fenn'rys stopped pacing and stood at parade rest, fixing her gaze on him, "Simple. This was an Imperial operation. Strictly need to know. You didn't... until now."

"Right. Well, now that I know, you gonna try and kill me?"

She grinned, "Is that why you dressed for combat, hunter? No, I'm not going to try and kill you. I've grown fond of your company, Drokk'it; instead of silencing you I'm going to bring you in on the operation."

"Lucky me." He rolled his eyes.

"Please, it isn't personal." She walked around the table and sat on the space next to his feet. "Now that you're aware, Imperial protocols dictate that my options are few." She placed her hand on his leg, "You're either in, or measures are taken. I was serious Drokk'it, I enjoy having you around."

He looked up and saw her smile, her eyes pleading for understanding.

"All right, all right, I get it... but you ain't gonna get anything out of her, Fenn. If she's HAVOC, then you know she's conditioned for it. You won't break her, and I can't really sit by and watch you try. Not my style."

"Really?" She arched an eyebrow at him, "The mighty Grand Champion doesn't use torture to get information? Somehow, I find that hard to believe."

"Look, I lean on people, sure, but that ain't torture. I'm in, punches are thrown, threats are made, I'm out. I don't inject them with serums or poke their eyeballs while they're awake. I inflict short term pain fixable by kolto. Not maim, or tear apart their psyche."

"Sounds like semantics to me, Drokk'it."

"I look at it as the spirit of the word vs. the definition. I ain't no sadist. You keep using standard Imperial 'information gathering' tactics on someone who you know isn't going to break, that makes you no better than the Sith."

Fenn'rys flinched, momentarily angered at the comparison. "And I suppose you have a better idea, oh mighty Grand Champion of Mandalore?"

"Well...", he hesitated for a moment, thinking. "How about this. Why don't I replace SCORPIO?"

"Hmm, so you'll be the 'good cop' then? The friendly face that swoops in to save her and earns her trust?"

"Dunno if I'd go that far, but it gives me something to occupy my time, and you don't have to take measures." he put air quotes around the last word.

She fixed him with a hard stare for a few moments. "Very well. We'll do this your way. Understand though, that your involvement changes nothing. Plans are already in motion involving her, and they cannot be altered."

"Well, I guess we should make her comfortable until she hits Dromund Kaas, shouldn't we?"

Fenn'rys stood and walked to the door, stopping before she left. "There is one condition to this, hunter."

"What's that?"

"You may not use my name, nor any of the crew's names outside of Kaliyo, or yourself." She turned to face him, a hard look in her eye, "If you slip up for any reason Drokk'it... I have to kill her."

She then walked out of the room.

"I know it ain't a usual bunk, but that cot has got to be better than being chained up all night. You up for breakfast? "

The space inside the laser containment unit had been doubled. Now there was a chair and a cot with basic bedding inside. Dorne sat in the chair, clothes rumpled, hair even more disheveled, but looking more alert. She stayed silent as she eyed Drokk, distrustfully.

"C'mon Dorne, I ain't trying to pump you for information. It's just eggs. Now, you want to eat or not?"

She stood up and spoke to him for the first time, "What is this? The Grand Champion of the Great Hunt, here to rescue me from the clutches of evil? You must think I'm inept."

"Not exactly rescue. I got the droid replaced so you'd be better taken care of. Would have done it sooner had I known--"

"Known what?" Dorne interrupted. "Known that a high value target had been captured, and was being tortured for information right under your nose? I highly doubt that. Let's not lie to each other, shall we? You know who I am, I know who you are, and regulation 12, subsection 7, paragraph 3 of the Republic Defense Forces Handbook dictates what I may and may not tell you."

Drokk's brow furrowed, "You don't know who I am. Not everything you get fed by the Republic is true. I've never even been to Vo."

"I'm to take the word of the Reaper of Balmorra? I hardly believed the rumors, that any non-Sith would perpetrate such atrocities. However, after sacrificing hundreds of women and children to destroy Kellian Jarro and the Aurora, it seems the tales of the Reaper were true after all."

His face contorted in surprise, and then rage, "I ordered that ship evacuated! Personally ran through to make sure that no one remained! I left plenty of time before the ship exploded, so everyone could get to a safe distance! I'M NOT THAT PERSON ANYMORE!"

"And you think that makes it all right?!" Dorne stood up and screamed, "You think that absolves you of the carnage you've wrought?!"

They stared at each other hard, through the reddish screen for a few moments before Drokk's shoulders slumped.

"No... no I don't. I do what I have to do. I can't change the past, Dorne. I just try not to be that person now." He turned and walked out of the engine room.

"Hey, I brought you some water, soap and towel. Figured you might want to get cleaned up."

"Why, so you can present your prize to the Sith in pristine condition?" Dorne replied.

"Actually, I was thinking not showering would make things pretty ripe in there."

"Ah, thank you for informing me of my stench. It's nice to see your Mandorlorian manners have stayed intact. I suppose you have to 'keep an eye on me' to make sure I don't try anything while I wash?" Her tone was hard.

"No, as a matter of fact, I'm going to set up a screen for you. I'm not into the humiliation thing, but if that's your deal, I'll go get Kaliyo. She can float your boat."

A look of shocked indignation covered her face, "I have NEVER..."

Drokk sighed heavily and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Look, Dorne, I'm really not against you, here. I get that you don't trust me, and that's fine, but how about we just try to be civil to one another? It'll save a lot of hassle on both ends."

"For you, perhaps."

He sighed again, "Fine. You call if you need anything."He picked up the bucket and started walking out. He made it to the door when she called out.

"Wait! I really would appreciate the chance to wash... provided there are no strings attached."

Drokk turned around, "I promise on my honor as the Grand Champion."

She looked at him, as though contemplating something, and then smiled. "Very well."

Drokk dropped the laser grid and set the bucket of water on the floor, the soap, towel, and a change of clothes on the chair. He removed the cot and bedding so it wouldn't get wet.

She looked at him, puzzled. "You're not restraining me while you set this up. What's to stop me from grabbing that spanner wrench, braining you, and making my escape?"

Drokk turned, smiling at her. "Really? C'mon Dorne, I know you're smarter than that. Let's say I haven't been watching your every move. Even if you manage to escape me using your HAVOC training, where you going to go? I've got the Engine room's access door locked, and if you manage to get past that, you'll run into a bushel of people who aren't nearly as nice as I am."

"I could just send a signal out. Alert the other HAVOC members."

"I think you've already thought it through, or else we'd be wrestling with that wrench. Ok, all set. The grid has to go back up, but just holler when you're finished and dressed."

She set about cleaning herself. Drokk left momentarily and returned with a mop, and something else that he handed her when she had finished.

"What's this?" Dorne looked at him as she toweled her long hair dry.

"It's a quantum particle decelerator weapon designed by the Gree" he said sarcastically.

She stopped drying her hair for a moment, looking at him, "Amusing. It looks like a hair brush."

"Probably because it is. My wife beats me stupid if we don't have one handy while we're away from ship, and her hair's not nearly as long as yours... what?"

Dorne, looked shocked, "You're married?"

He replied somewhat hurt, "What, hard to believe a cold blooded killer could find someone who would ever love him? I told you, I'm not who you think I am... now what?"

She stared at him, puzzled. "I can't tell if you're trying to ingratiate yourself to me, or if you're telling the truth. You're very good at this."

"Why don't we pretend I'm telling the truth. Keeps us from having the same argument over and over."

She looked at the offered brush, the water and soap, and then at him. "Very well. Your wife is absolutely correct. It was driving me insane. Thank you."

"No problem. Now move out here so I can clean the water up. The area's small, but you can walk around a bit, stretch out while you have the chance."

"Drokk'it," she asked, her tone still formal, but less adversarial, "why are you doing this, if not to get information?"

He stopped mopping and looked her in the eye, "I don't like torture without purpose. It's the same as bullying someone who can't fight back, and I can't abide that." He went back to mopping. "Doesn't make me a Jedi or anything. Just a guy who's trying to be better than someone he was... a long time ago."

Dorne smiled at him in understanding. "Well, offering a lady a brush is a good start. Lunch would be an excellent next step."

“Morning Dorne. How’d you feel about a little exercise?”

The blond HAVOC officer was already awake and dressed. Her hair was wound in a tight bun, and she sat looking at a pad of paper, tapping her cheek with a pencil. She looked up.

“I thought you were to teach me sabaac? And I believe I’ve already told you this, but you may call me Elara.”

It had been four days since Drokk took over guarding her. In that time, he’d gotten her talking. No state secrets or anything. Just about where she came from, that she was HAVOC squad’s medic, and that she was preferential to eggs, milk, and whole grain Dantooinian bread to start her day. Something about ‘an efficient mix of required nutrients for bodily health ’.

While she didn’t admit it, he could tell she was relieved to have someone to talk to. Something to take her mind off what awaited her at the end of this journey.

“Yeah, but it’s been awhile since you’ve gotten to do more than walk around this tiny platform. Even in most Imperial jails, you get rec time.”

She put down her pad and pencil. “Very well. What did you have in mind?”

“Wanna fight?” He grinned.

She cocked an eyebrow, “Come again?”

“Look, I ain’t gonna lie. In my line of work, you go up against some of the toughest, nastiest, sons of b*tches to ever grace the galaxy with their presence. So you begin to wonder, exactly how good are you? I get a chance to see the famed HAVOC squad in action, my curiosity gets itching.”

“I… see.”

“Besides, you’re a medic, right? Anything goes wrong, you can fix yourself up. Better you than this ship’s doc, anyway. He creeps me the hell out.”

Elara chuckled. “Very well, Drokk’it. I’ve trained with the best, however. Don’t be upset when, as my Captain’s sister says, ‘I thump your backside’.”

“Backside... really? Backside?” Drokk deadpanned.

“Yes, well, she tends to use more… colorful language than I’m used to.”

“Sounds like my type of gal.” Drokk grinned.

She couldn’t hold back a laugh, “Yes, I somehow believe you two would get along remarkably well together, were situations different. Shall we, then?”

"Ok," Drokk huffed, out of breath, "I gotta be honest with you. I really thought I had you that time."

Elara sat on the mat, leaning back, also out of breath, "People underestimate the medic's ability to use their skills in a physical fashion. My knowledge of pressure points in 36 different humanoid species alone, gives me an advantage."

"Yeah, I can tell. My hand is all tingly from that shot to the forearm you gave me. Two rounds out of five tells me I need to work on a few things though."

"Perhaps, but I believe you were holding back. You could've done more. Your style of fighting doesn't lend itself well to sparring."

"Eh, maybe. Everything feels different in armor."

She smiled kindly at him, "Drokk'it, I... I appreciate you not treating me like a prisoner of war. It's nice to be able to release some stress like this, before..." She drew her knees up to her chest.

He lay back on the mat. "Yeah... I'm really sorry, Elara. Nothing I can do about that, though."

"I... I just never thought I would actually be going back to Dromund Kaas. I always thought I would die in the line of duty before that would happen. The Empire does not suffer traitors well."

"Honestly, I got a lot of respect for you. It took guts to do what you did. Standing up for your convictions in the face of overwhelming might like that. Not many would risk it."

"I would do it again", she said resolutely. "I decided long ago that I wouldn't live a false life like so many other soldiers I watched do so. In HAVOC, I can work to make things better. To make up for waiting to take initiative and just standing by. To be better than I was. In that way, Drokk'it, you and I are not so far apart."

He looked over at her as she stared at nothing, her brow furrowed. She wore a proud, strong front... but she was scared.

Of course she's scared. Probably scared as hell. She knows exactly what the Sith are capable of.

"C'mon Elara. Time to get you back to your bunk."

"I'm sorry, I believe I heard you incorrectly. You want what?!"

Drokk stood in the briefing room, arms crossed. Fenn'rys sat at the head of the table, paperwork neatly placed in varying stacks around her, a holomap of the galaxy pulled up.

"I'm serious. Is there any way that Elara doesn't make it to Kaas City?" Drokk leaned over, hands on the table.

"Elara?? Drokk'it, when I put you in charge of her security, it was not so you could fall head over heels for a leggy blond! Dorne is a prisoner of war! You know what that means."

"I didn't fall for her. She's a person who risked everything to walk her own path. I respect that. She touches ground on Dromund Kaas, things will happen to her that I wouldn't wish on Tarro Blood, if he were still around."

Fenn'rys rubbed her temples, "Hunter, we're involved in a war. I have a job within that war. That job is to deliver intelligence gathered from a Republic Special Forces member, not make friends with her!"

"Look, I'm not asking you to let her go. If she winds up somewhere other than Dromund Kaas, would it matter? The Empire has more than a few penal colonies out there, like Shadow Town. Interrogation happens either way, but at least she'd have a fighting chance outside the capital planet."

She looked at him in awe. "You're serious. "

"Ok, how about this then? That favor you owe me? I'm calling it in." He stood up, a look of triumph on his face.

She looked at him like he was insane. "You're bloody serious."

"You bet'cher blue butt I am. On Dromund Kaas, I stopped a Sith researcher from releasing a toxin designed to kill slaves, but only after days of agonizing pain. She'll be lucky to meet a Sith half as sinister as that guy."

"I can't believe this", she stood up and started pacing. Then she stopped, and looked over at him. "If it were anyone else... ", Fenn'rys sighed. "Fine, hunter. If you honestly believe that this has to be done, I will back you on it. Keep your favor."

Drokk took a step back and arched an eyebrow, "Ok, what's the catch? You never do anything like this for free."

She grinned slyly, "You know me so well. This goes down the way I plan it. You ask no questions, give no objections. You follow my orders to the letter, regardless of how you feel about them. Promise me this, and I will go a step further and set her free."

Drokk's eyes narrowed as he studied her, trying to think of all the angles she could be working.

... his head began to hurt. "Counter condition, she goes free unharmed and alive."

"Clever, hunter", she laughed, "but I never had any intention of hurting her. We have a deal, then?" she stuck out her hand.

Drokk thought about it a second longer, and then took her hand. "Deal."

"If you'll excuse me, I have strategies to create." She walked past him to leave.

"Hey, Fenn. Tell me, why are you really doing this?"

"This agreement doesn't have a long future if you can't even follow the rules, you know", she laughed, as she stopped at the door.

"Op hasn't started yet."

She sighed and turned her head, "You really can't tell? Because it's important to you, Drokk'it", she said softly, and then left him standing in the briefing room, alone and confused.

"Sir, I'm receiving a transmission on a no longer used sub-space frequency." Spec. Yuun said, in modulated Gand.

"Put it through to the holoterminal and trace it, Yuun. Patch Capt. Kiera'Kian into the call, but as receive only."

Bro'Kian walked to the center of the Thunderclap, and awaited the transmission. A blue hologram of a young woman in an Imperial Navy uniform came through. She had medium length light hair, and burn scars on her face.

"Ahh, Capt. Bro'Kian. I believe I have something you recently lost."

"Look, let's not beat around the bush. What do you want?" he said sternly with a hardened look.

"What? No dashing hero of action threats, like 'You'll never get away with this'? No witty repartee?"

He crossed his arms and stared at the hologram.

"How disappointing. Very well, Captain. I propose a meeting to discuss terms."

"We are meeting. What are your terms?"

The Imperial smiled, "No, no Captain. I'm the type that likes to look you in the eye while I twist the knife."

"Sounds unpleasant. How am I to know this isn't a trap?"

"That is an excellent question. The answer is 'You don't'. What you do know, is Dorne's fate if she stays with me."

"Fine. Where and when."

"There's a derelict freighter you'll dock with. The coordinates are included with this transmission. You're to come alone to the center banquet hall, helmet removed, so facial verification can be run. Two days from now."

"Fine. Lt. Dorne had better be alive and well, or I'm coming for you."

"THERE it is!" she laughed. "One simply cannot have dramatic tension without a heroic one-liner! See you soon, Captain."

"Do you believe he'll actually come alone, Agent?" Ensign Temple asked, as she swiveled in her chair to face the Chiss.

"Of course not. HAVOC-VG's CO was surely listening in on that call, and her personality demands she be allowed the opportunity for payback. They'll set up a secondary assault to guarantee Dorne's rescue, leaving the Captain to try and capture me."

"Sir, I'm curious. When you set the hunter up as her caretaker, did you know this would happen?"

"Not exactly. I was somewhat surprised when he offered. Even more so when he came asking for her release. Now, however, Drokk'it believes that this operation was the result of his decision, so he will fight harder to ensure its success."

Fenn'rys fixed the Ensign with a steely gaze, "Every situation provides certain advantages. The cunning to quickly recognize and make them your own; that is what makes an Operative potentially stronger than any Sith. Learn that lesson well, Temple."

"As you say, sir."

"Gather everyone into the briefing room", Fenn'rys said with a wicked grin.

"It's time this little game finally came to a close."

Notes:

WILL Fenn'rys finally reveal her awful plan to Drokk? CAN HAVOC Squad save Elara so that Bro'Kian can finally finish the romance options in his story? HOW does Gault fit into all of this?! He Doesn't! But tune in to the final exciting episode of "Wait, it's HOW many words?!?!"

Hopefully Elara doesn't seem too out of character. I kinda had to bend her for this part.

@everybody: Maybe I should just stop reading people's stuff, it just makes me realize how bad I am at writing...That or give up writing again. But nah, neither one of those outcomes appeals, I'll just have to swallow my insecurity and keep plugging away. Thankfully everyone else is also better at commentary than I am, because I have to admit that the comments are what really keep me going.

@Ad: Yay, not dead! Boo, not writing. Also, isn't that how

Ruth's Vette ended up in Ruth Means Compassion?

@ YoshiRalphElan:

"I'm also a Jedi," Cadi noted. "We don't typically do illegal things."

"No, you don't. Still, I have my orders." Rya'a motioned toward the exit of the alleyway. "After you."

Agreed, this describes most of the stuff our characters do in-game to a T. Nice that CADI's opposite number was the one who spotted her.

@ Lesaberisa: Cute how Amita's view of the tiny ball of purring fur changed after her conversation with Scourge. Mina's discomfort is palpable. Finally,

Beware the dark side, Veresia, always be wary of it. You will not recognize it has a hold of you until it has you fully within its sinister grasp and has consumed what made you a person worth corrupting in the first place.”
is a perfect description of the Dark Side and what it does.

@ Frauzet: I really liked Nik's memory of Iz as "blonde poison on long legs." Very evocative; the reader knows exactly how Nik feels about her.

@DarthSillyMonkey: Elara read fine. She's in what, for her, is the worst possible scenario ever.

@TheStirge: Practice helps, always, especially in a supportive environment like this thread. Don't quit if writing is something you love. Even Hemmingway had to start somewhere.

Long comments:

@Striges, in game Keleth-Ur's holocron gives you a tiny sound byte to think about and then shuts up. It would be interesting to try to talk more out of him.

@marissalf, :eek: Not what Mel signed on for! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

@theStirge, I think you've got the most interesting take on Ensign Temple I've ever seen. And I love Zel's speech about what keeps her going. Don't you dare get discouraged about your writing! I think you fit in this cohort just fine :) And reading a variety of other styles helps spark ideas, which then roll into stories, which then spark ideas for other people...and next thing you know you're 4200 posts into a group thread!

@Lesaberisa, Lord Scourge: Ruining things with a mere word since 300 BTC. :D I see that Veresia's difficult balance between constructive goals and destructive impulse kicks in almost as soon as things go wrong. And Mina's training really sounds like the kind of shocking "this is how we do things" slap that an Imp would hand out to someone he doesn't think can handle it.

@frauzet, the might-have-beens surrounding a bitter parting of ways really can drive you crazy if you let them. Good thing Nikeo's got plenty of forces keeping him moving forward now.

@DarthSillyMonkey, Drokk gets to work some of his humanitarian impulses...is it going to get turned around into something awful? Only time (and you) will tell!

@Adwynyth, Vette is the Ruth!verse's canon smuggler, but I floated the idea then did nothing with it. (Okay, did 200 words plus a brief Timeline 3 reference with it.) In game I have a Gunslinger, Rulette, made to resemble Vette's yellow customization, but she's only at level 13 or so.

All of this is to say that while the idea was mumbled at one point, there's a whole lot of room for anybody else to play with it, especially the possibilities if Vette remains on speaking terms with the Warrior.

@Ad: Yay, not dead! Boo, not writing. Also, isn't that how

Ruth's Vette ended up in Ruth Means Compassion?

@Adwynyth, Vette is the Ruth!verse's canon smuggler, but I floated the idea then did nothing with it. (Okay, did 200 words plus a brief Timeline 3 reference with it.) In game I have a Gunslinger, Rulette, made to resemble Vette's yellow customization, but she's only at level 13 or so.

All of this is to say that while the idea was mumbled at one point, there's a whole lot of room for anybody else to play with it, especially the possibilities if Vette remains on speaking terms with the Warrior.

I had completely forgotten that, but MOAR VETTE AS SMUGGLER. :D

I'd dearly love to see how that develops in the Ruth!verse, as well as the spin others would put on it. It's something that was on (and remains on) my list to tackle in some way, but I just don't have the bandwidth and probably won't for a while.

I'll keep lurking and enjoying as I can, though, until I get a chance to come back. :p

@frauzet, I actually think Ord Mantell is my favorite starting planet, but I can see how actually being there would be quite distressing for our characters.

@DarthSillyMonkey, I am intrigued by the continuing plots-within-plots that seem to be going on. And if I were Drokk I'd install trip-mines in the bathroom door before I took any piece of clothing off of me, if Kaliyo were on the other side of the door.

I'm sorry if I missed anyone–you're all doing great and I'm reading these in my spare time!

Prompt - Catching Up

Title - Sitting This One Out

Class - Trooper/Bounty Hunter

General Act 1 Trooper spoilers

Elara sat on the couch in the living room of the large home owned by her brother-in-law, Dha. Elara had found out two weeks ago that she was pregnant, so Prudii had wrangled some time off for her until the baby was born. Elara felt like she was going stir-crazy; not being out on the field with her husband and squad-mates was hard on the nerves.

Mako walked gracefully through the living room, carrying a basket of clean laundry that she had yet to fold. Crysta, Elara's niece, toddled behind Mako and babbled in a two-year-old's way about nothing in particular while she waggled a stuffed bantha in the air. Mako regularly responded with "uh-huh" to let Crysta know she was listening. She caught sight of Elara and grinned, setting the basket down on the table between the living room's two couches.

"Morning sickness set in yet?" Mako asked.

Elara nodded. "Yes, it has. Quite unpleasant."

Mako smiled understandingly. "I was there, couple years ago." She patted Crysta playfully on her head. "Crysta gave me fits for weeks."

"Get back here!"

Without breaking off, Mako added, "And Skadge has been giving me fits ever since."

Blizz sprinted through the living room, carrying some piece of technology between his sleeves, and down the next hallway through the labyrinthine underground home. Skadge came tearing after him, his arms waving in rage, and disappeared down the hallway after Blizz. Elara and Mako burst into laughter.

Dha walked in a moment later, clutching his helmet under one arm and grinning a little. He scratched at the patch of black hair on the back of his head. He sat down across from Mako and Elara, placed his helmet on the table, and picked up a salted meat strip from the plate on the table. He took a big bite out of it and chewed thoughtfully.

"So," he said, "how's the housework coming?"

"It's boring," Elara replied, deadpan. "I'm thankful you're letting me stay here, though. I wouldn't want to be out risking my unborn child on the battlefield."

Dha nodded. "So, last I heard from Prudii he'd allowed the aruetiise back on active service."

Elara knew aruetiise was the Mandalorian word for outsider, but it could also mean traitor, so she surmised that Dha meant Tavus, Fuse, and Kardan. She nodded slowly.

"Yes," she said, "though that is supposed to be kept quiet."

"Don't worry," Dha replied. "I have tight lips."

"How about you?" Elara asked. "How's the bounty hunting business?"

Dha frowned around another bite of salted jerky. "Bit boring. Having the Bounty Brokers' Association set up on the Imperial Fleet has allowed for a few more opportunities so I'm working like crazy almost every day of the week. I'm only home today because the BBA doesn't have a contract high enough at the moment to be worth my time."

Elara nodded. "Prudii did a little work for the BBA on the Republic Fleet, too. I think he misses it sometimes, but he loves life in the military."

"No doubt." Dha finished his jerky. "Well, with nothing else to do, I'm going to go feed our animals." He picked his helmet up and nodded to Mako and Elara. "Take care, ladies." He patted Crysta on the head. "Cyar'ika."

Crysta giggled appreciatively and sat down on the floor as Dha left the house, digging through the laundry basket and pulling out a particularly large shirt. She soon lost herself in its folds and began flapping her arms frantically.

Mako grinned. "I need to start doing Skadge's clothes in a separate load."

I'm not sure what the military's stand on pregnant women on the field would be; I assume they'd get time off. Wouldn't want a bullet going through a poor, unborn child.

@YoshiRaphElan: That was a disgustingly cute domestic scene. :p I love the idea of the baby getting into Skadge's XXXXXL-sized stuff.

I'm crossposting an intro from Tumblr (brightephemera) plus some new stuff, which itself is made to follow a piece Tatile wrote for Star Wars Toon Appreciation Week. Call it First Impressions with Wynston and Hazard. 1500 words, (edit: Two names from the Imperial Agent Act 2 are named. No context provided to them.)

October, 24 ATC – 13 years after the confirmation of the Wrath

2.5 years after the death of Vector Hyllus

Wynston scanned the morning’s messages, a complex web organized roughly by source and urgency. One of them floated through the “short timeframe, low impact, flagged for unusual content” category: an Admiral Atoka of the Imperial Navy was looking amidst his Intelligence contacts for news of one Cipher Nine.

Even years after the Cipher’s retirement from the official Intelligence rolls, it wasn’t an unusual pursuit for odd members of the Imperial establishment who thought they could win points by finding or eliminating him. Intelligence would quietly lose the inquiry and Wynston would generally not interfere in this, except that Atoka claimed to have spoken to the Dawn Herald of the Oroboro Nest.

Wynston schooled his features to stillness while he stared at the screen. It was inevitable, really. Wynston had cut off relations with the nest after Vector Hyllus’s death two years ago. Not really cut off so much as let fall; it was a stupid move, as the Killiks were a high-value ally, but he had been too busy drinking to deal with them for a while and he had been too busy since then to reapproach.

But now they had a replacement. A new Dawn Herald. No name, no description, just the job title. Just someone with Vector’s old job, someone whose only known trait was that he couldn’t possibly be Vector.

Wynston hated him already.

That wasn’t relevant. He should have reestablished contact with the nest ages ago; his organization had been on good terms with the Killiks from the start and if they wanted to render assistance again he’d be an idiot to refuse. The message from Atoka ended with a meeting offering: Six PM any night at the place in Kaas City where Vector got sick over juma juice on one early visit. Only Wynston and the Oroboro nest would even remember what that meant. It was a familiar place, owned by someone Wynston could call more or less a friend. Ideal.

He opened a line to one of the assistants at the Aegis’s control center. “Contact Atoka. Let him know the message is received.”

He couldn’t make it to Dromund Kaas before tomorrow night, even using the shortest hyperlanes. He delegated his tasks for the day, distributing the pressing business among agents he could trust. Then he made for his personal ship, readying to depart the Aegis.

Dawn Herald. Couldn’t they have picked a different role?

Roark’s was a smoky place outside and below Kaas City’s respectable neighborhoods, frequented by any alien who didn’t mind the low ceiling and constant noise. It had been Vector’s recommendation originally, part of the Imperial native’s habitual exploration of odd corners of the city. Wynston came early and stepped into an alley outside to drop his habitual holographic disguise. A Joiner might pull on Vector’s memories to remember his favorite false faces, but his real appearance was guaranteed recognizable, besides which that was how the proprietor knew him.

He did a discreet perimeter check; nothing about the place seemed unusual, it was operating as normal, a plain watering hole and transaction hub. He took a seat inside and started sizing up the entrants as a matter of habit. No one paying special attention to him, which was a good start. Nervous men looking to cut deals at the bar, at least one woman working the crowds for any cash grab she could wheedle her way into, one thoroughly fed-up tough just looking to get drunk before he went home.

A girl came in, a petite blue Twi’lek in loose-fitting pants and a snug jacket. She moved with more assurance than he would have expected from someone her size. She scanned the room and started straight for him. Ordinarily he would be glad to strike up a conversation, but…

…but her eyes were black, all black, and this delicate-featured stranger was the replacement he was waiting for.

She paused just short of his table. “Is this seat taken?” she said in an oddly melodic voice.

She was smiling, close-lipped but curved. Was that playfulness? Was she trying to be playful? Well, if she was that was one thing he could deal with, regardless of his feelings. “Only if you want it to be,” he said. He stood to greet her, folding his hands behind his back and bowing. “Wynston. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

She half raised a hand, but he didn’t move to meet it, so she let it drop. “We are Hazard. Dawn Herald of the Oroboro nest.”

“I’ve arranged a private room.” Some conversations could be done under cover of ambient noise. Some were better done where no one could see. “Follow me.” He turned his back on her and walked down the smoky hall toward a small crooked door.

It was a relief that she didn’t try to fall in beside him, but he felt her eyes on the back of his neck as they walked. What was she thinking? What part of her stolen memories was she referring to now? What did she see in his aura, which he had never figured out how to blank? Could she already interpret him as well as Vector had? Just how big an advantage did she have over him?

The room he brought her to looked a little better inside than out. A big table, a number of chairs, clean floor, warm lighting, an eclectic holoart collection along the walls. He had done business here more than once in the past.

“I trust your journey in was uneventful?” His tongue almost stuck on the small talk, but he was here to be diplomatic. As he sat he studied her face, looking for some familiarity beyond those black eyes.

“It was,” she said calmly, taking a seat opposite him. “We took the Nar Shaddaa shuttle in.”

“Then I’m especially glad it was uneventful. When Nar Shaddaa goes wrong it doesn’t go halfway.”

Her smile took on a little uncertainty. “We hope our presence here does not disturb you.”

We trust our appearance doesn’t disturb you. “No,” he said hurriedly, “it’s good to get in touch again. And I’m very glad to meet you personally. I think we have a great deal to talk about.”

“Yes. Our ultimate goal is to arrange support for your organization again. This coincides with the Herald’s responsibility for outreach.”

“As for my part as employer I would run a background check on you,” he said, “but I think we already understand one another well enough on that count.” The Killik nest could be trusted. At least, they had for years, and the enmities he had seen from them had almost always been motivated by the other party. Whatever Hazard was, she wasn’t a threat. Not yet.

He tried to think of something else to say, but she saved him the trouble. “We have never been to Dromund Kaas before. It is much more…definitive…than expected.”

And was she surprised? “Surely you have…other Joiners’ memories to refer to.”

“We do,” she said. “but we prefer to experience it ourselves.”

“I see.” Well, if it was a foregone conclusion that she would come to the Aegis, what more was there to talk about? He ought to keep her at ease. Even if that meant asking polite questions he didn’t want the answers to. “‘Hazard’ is an unusual name,” he said. “Sabacc card, isn’t it?”

“Yes. It was our name among friends on Nar Shaddaa, before we became a Joiner. We…understand you don’t like all cards equally.”

If she’d called herself Legate or Chance this meeting would already be over. He shrugged. “It’s just a name. Now, as a first order of business once we’re done here I’d like to show you around our command ship, the Aegis. It’s a bit of a change for people accustomed to living planetside. Have you ever had an extended space assignment?”

“No. We are accustomed to Nar Shaddaa and Alderaan…and now, briefly, Dromund Kaas.”

“All good planets.” The only good thing about Alderaan had been Vector, but he didn’t have to go into that fine print with the new Herald. “Living in space may seem confined by comparison, and some call deep space lonely…then again, I guess you have the Song of the Universe.”

“We never travel alone,” she agreed. “And we are certain we will adapt to new circumstances.” Still staring at him, she paused a beat. “If you’re willing,” she said softly.

“Hazard, you’re of the Oroboro Nest. It wasn’t really a choice.” From the widening of her eyes he guessed that that came out too bitter. “Of course I’m willing,” he corrected, forcing his warmest smile. He couldn’t insult their diplomat regardless of his feelings. “I look forward to working with you.”

Edited by bright_ephemera

Okay brain fine since you’re extremely insistent on an Alternate Perspectives for the previous piece right nao, here’s Hazard’s take on the conversation. 1200 words, no spoilers.

Wynston.

The nest only had the one name for him. Some outside the kind earned names or titles of their own, but Dawn Herald Vector’s recommendation with regard to this one Chiss had always been the same: let him be Wynston.

Hazard wasn’t sure when her personal attention had first strayed his way. Perhaps it was when the nest decided to make her their Dawn Herald. The Herald who had fallen, Vector, had served alongside Wynston for twelve years, first for the Empire, then for their own organization. Until Vector’s death just over two years ago the two had been…inseparable wasn’t quite the word, because Wynston and Vector readily agreed to a number of separate missions, a lot of time apart. But in the end Vector had no better friend than Wynston. And Wynston, she thought, had no better friend than Vector.

She skipped the Dance of Unlighting the night the decision rippled through the nest. She was too excited to properly join in the figures. She dove into Vector’s memories, his childhood, his education, his diplomatic work, his closest friend. She spent hours meditating over the places Vector had been, the things he’d seen, the people he’d loved.

The changes of her assignment were a few days of pain deep among the membrosia pools: physical enhancements, lending resilience and power, and, too, the subtle release that left her mind a little more free to wander than most of the kind had. It was necessary if she was to adapt to new situations out alone in the galaxy. It was just deeply disorienting.

But at the end of the process she and the nest were of one mind: she should go reestablish the link that had been lost when Vector fell at Wynston’s side. She should rejoin his organization, if he would have her. And she was young, not unattractive, intelligent and already knew his preferences better than any stranger could. He accepted any woman who gave him a chance; he must have her.

That confidence wavered a little while she worked the Imperial contacts least unfriendly to Killiks, flying deeper and deeper into Imperial space toward Dromund Kaas while she looked for an in. She knew of Wynston’s command ship, the Aegis, but didn’t know where it was or where to find it and she couldn’t exactly go asking after that classified information. Instead she looked for the slightly less classified Cipher Nine. His old name, the one Vector had met him under. And it was an invitation to Cipher Nine that her contacts issued when she settled on an alien-owned restaurant on the lower levels of Kaas City.

Roark’s was a comfortable place, despite its unfamiliarity to her personally – she could tell already that she was going to enjoy exploring the places Vector remembered as much as she enjoyed the prospect of new things. Here it was smoky, crowded, frequented by more different species than she had seen on Main Street at all. She always had plenty of sentience to watch while she waited each night for the Cipher to show.

And then one night when she walked in the door, there he was. A small light-blue Chiss at a table near the far wall, his clothes and hair neat, his red eyes on her as if he already knew exactly what he was looking for. Maybe he did; he was a resourceful man.

She paused just short of his table and smiled. “Is this seat taken?” she said.

He grinned crookedly. “Only if you want it to be.” His voice had a sly melody to it. He stood, folding his hands behind his back, and bowed. “Wynston. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

As if they didn’t already know each other. She half raised a hand before remembering that she should just return his gesture. That was all part of being a diplomat. She let her hand drop. “We are Hazard. Dawn Herald of the Oroboro nest.”

“I’ve arranged a private room. Follow me.” With a small gesture he turned and walked down the smoky hall toward a small crooked door. She followed, watching his confident balanced gait, the way he carried himself. The room he led her into was large and comfortably furnished. He took a seat at the table and gestured to invite her to sit opposite him. “I trust your journey in was uneventful?”

“It was,” she said. “We took the Nar Shaddaa shuttle in.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Then I’m especially glad it was uneventful. When Nar Shaddaa goes wrong it doesn’t go halfway.”

She wished she could read his aura; it was all clouds and green sparks, and Vector’s recollections weren’t precise enough for her to know what that meant. His face, handsome if scarred, gave away nothing more than cordiality. “We hope our presence here does not disturb you.”

“No,” he said emphatically, “it’s good to get in touch again. And I’m very glad to meet you personally. I think we have a great deal to talk about.”

She looked him over, wishing she knew where to start. Well, professionalism first. “Yes. Our ultimate goal is to arrange support for your organization again. This coincides with the Herald’s responsibility for outreach.”

“As for my part as employer I would run a background check on you,” he said, “but I think we already understand one another well enough on that count.”

She nodded, glad that he accepted her role there. She moved on. “We have never been to Dromund Kaas before. It is much more…definitive…than expected.”

His eyebrows nudged upwards. “Surely you have…other Joiners’ memories to refer to.”

“We do,” she said. “but we prefer to experience it ourselves.” Part of the joy of her job.

“I see.” Wynston settled more comfortably in his chair. “‘Hazard’ is an unusual name,” he said lightly. “Sabacc card, isn’t it?”

“Yes. It was our name among friends on Nar Shaddaa, before we became a Joiner.” But it reminded her of something she had seen in reviewing Vector’s life. “We…understand you don’t like all cards equally.”

Sparks slid in opposite directions in his aura, but he shrugged. “It’s just a name. Now, as a first order of business once we’re done here I’d like to show you around our command ship, the Aegis. It’s a bit of a change for people accustomed to living planetside. Have you ever had an extended space assignment?”

“No.” She was excited for it. “We are accustomed to Nar Shaddaa and Alderaan…and now, briefly, Dromund Kaas.”

“All good planets. Living in space may seem confined by comparison, and some call deep space lonely.” Genuine concern showed on his face. “Then again, I guess you have the Song of the Universe.”

“We never travel alone,” she agreed. “And we are certain we will adapt to new circumstances.” As much as he would let her. “If you’re willing,” she said slyly.

“Hazard, you’re of the Oroboro Nest. It wasn’t really a choice.” There was something wrong in the way he said it. He seemed to sense it, too, and leaned forward as if to correct himself. “Of course I’m willing,” he said, and smiled so thoroughly it warmed her through. “I look forward to working with you.”

And she looked forward to working with him.

Ok, so my brain sucks and I've had the next 8 parts of my story coming out in random spurts for the past few days. :eek: I've finally managed to sort out the first one and will hopefully have the next one tomorrow. I apologize for no comments this time, but I have to catch up on my reading. I'll comment and update the index later this evening......hopefully! So after about a week of no posting......here's an offering. It's kinda long, but not DarthSillyMonkey long! ;)

Title: Get That Man a Medic!

Prompt: Allies, Confessions, and Health

Character: Valaya-Smuggler, Jorgan, and Dorne

Setting: Taris, Thunderclap, just after these and this.

Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper Taris, Trooper Nar Shaddaa, a companion spoiler for Dorne, and a minor companion spoiler for Risha…..I think that’s everything!

Val was waiting outside the Military HQ with Anna and Mary when Aric and Elara arrived. They’d contacted Aric after obtaining the astrogation charts and were assured by Elara that things were under control. Val and Corso left the transport station and hurried back to Olaris. Val had received a message on the way back and as soon as they got back to her ship, she contacted Garza and decrypted it. It was a short text message this time.

I’m on my way to Nar Shaddaa. Tavus is sending me there to assist Captain Andrik with his project involving an advanced war droid that was intended for Havoc…..I’ll assume Garza knows what that’s about. Apparently SIS has been causing a little trouble for Andrik, so maybe they have more info for you. I’ll make contact when I can.

Tia

Garza thanked her for making contact so quickly and intended to contact SIS immediately. As soon as Val signed off with Garza, Risha informed her that she’d heard from her friend, Sumalee, and everything was set for the kids to go to Dantooine. Val told Corso and Risha to get the ship ready for takeoff while she went to wait for Aric to return. Corso said he’d have the boys help him and Val took the girls with her, allowing Risha to have some kid free time before they left.

As soon as Aric and Elara got off their speeders, Val got a good look at Aric’s face and immediately knew why Elara answered the Holo earlier. She barely managed to suppress her laughter and was about to ask what happened when Anna beat her to it.

“Did you get into a fight?!” Anna asked, hands on her hips, glaring at Jorgan.

“Yes,” Aric sighed, wondering if fighting was worse than saying bad words.

“I’ll bet I know who did that,” Val smirked, “I told you she was pissed. You’re lucky that’s all she did.”

“I didn tink she’d break by dose!” Aric retorted, really not in the mood for an ‘I told you so’ and definitely not wanting to admit that that teasing little minx got to him.

“Sir, let’s get you inside and I’ll set it so it heals properly,” Elara instructed, “It’s not going to be pleasant so the children should probably stay outside.”

“Awic boo-boo,” Mary chirped, wiggling out of Val’s arms and toddling over to Aric, “Mawy fix.”

“Tank you sweedie,” Aric picked her up, “bu…….owww!”

Little Mary had leaned forward, kissing his broken nose like her Momma had always done with boo-boos. None of them were prepared for the blinding flash of light that accompanied it or the fact that the little toddler did in fact fix Aric’s nose.

“See,” Mary gave him a sleepy smile, stroking his soft fur, “Mawy fix.”

“It’s amazing, sir,” Elara told Aric as she scanned his face, “Your nose is completely healed.”

“How did she do that?” Aric wondered, touching his newly mended nose as the little girl snuggled up to him and drifted off to sleep.

“Well,” Val answered, “I have a little force sensitivity, like most of my species, and I thought I sensed it in her……guess I was right. Risha’s Jedi friend, Master Sumalee, on Dantooine came through and we’re taking the kids there shortly. I’ll contact her before we make the jump to hyperspace and tell her what just happened with Mary…..she’s probably going to want to meet us when we land and assess her.”

“She must be pretty strong to be able to heal like that at such a young age,” Elara nodded, “It looks like it wore her out though.”

“Too bad little Mary couldn’t fix the damage to Aric’s pride from having his butt handed to him by a……” Val smirked.

“Is there something else you were waiting for, Captain?” Aric interrupted, glaring at the grinning Mirialan.

“One of the reasons I waited was to see if Elara could maybe get a couple of shirts and shorts for the boys,” Val told them, unfazed by the grouchy Cathar, “I’d be happy to pay for them. Corso’s are way too big and the stuff they’ve been wearing is filthy. I figured SeeTwo could wash their stuff while we were en route to Dantooine.”

“We have plenty of undershirts and exercise shorts have draw strings, so they should do until you can get their stuff washed,” Elara told Val, “I’ll grab some for you right now.”

As soon as Elara went inside, Aric turned back to Val, “So, what was the other reason…..other than to take cheap shots at me?”

“Fine, ruin my fun. I got a message,” Val nodded, handing her datapad to him, “I already contacted Garza, but I wanted to show it to you before we left.”

“That was fast,” Aric read it over and handed the datapad back to Val as Elara came back out with some clothes, “Thanks. As soon as Dorne and I contact Garza, I’ll head out.”

“General Garza is actually on the Holo inside, sir,” Elara told him.

“I’ll contact you when we leave Dantooine,” Val said, taking the sleeping toddler from him, “It’s not too far from here, but I need make a quick stop at Carrick before heading to Nar Shaddaa.”

“Tell you what,” Aric replied, “How about I meet you at Carrick? I have a few things I’d like to pick up and Garza might have more info for us by then.”

“Sounds good,” Val agreed, “Anna, grab those clothes from Elara, please. My arms are full with little Mary. It’s time to put Taris behind us.”

Aric and Elara went inside and briefed Garza on Needles demise, what they’d seen, Sergeant Vleska’s escape and the lab’s destruction. Garza then asked Sergeant Dorne to leave, wanting to speak to Jorgan alone.

“Captain Tarenz contacted me,” Garza told Aric as soon as Elara left.

“I’m aware, sir,” Aric nodded, “She was waiting for me here and showed me the message. She’d said she already contacted you.”

“Good, then you know where you’re headed next. I’ll make contact with the SIS while you’re on your way,” Garza said, “However, before you go…..tell me, what do you think of Sergeant Dorne?”

“She helped us when no one else would, sir,” Aric replied, “She was able to put a unit together to back us up at Fallenspire, the bunker, and Needles’ lab. Our goal on Taris would’ve taken a lot longer without her assistance. She seems like a good officer and medic, knows policies and regs, has inside knowledge of Imperial workings…..I could actually use her in Havoc.”

“My thoughts exactly,” Garza nodded, the hint of a smile coming over her face, “especially after seeing some of the footage from your armor cam, Captain. Let’s hope Sergeant Vleska has time to warm to the idea of working with you before you meet again. As for Sergeant Dorne, I’ll contact Colonel Gaff to let him know of her transfer. You can give Sergeant Dorne the news now. Brief her on the situation, then head for Nar Shaddaa.”

“Yes, sir,” Aric saluted, then signed off. Aric found Dorne across the hall and gave her the news of her transfer. Her eyes lit up and she wore the biggest smile when she thanked him. She immediately went to pack her things and a little while later, they were boarding the Thunderclap. Aric readied the ship while Dorne was putting her things away. He set course for Carrick Station and as soon as the ship was in hyperspace, he went to speak with the newest member of Havoc.

“Settling in alright?” he asked when he found her in the med bay.

“Yes, sir,” she saluted, “Thank you again for this wonderful opportunity!”

“You more than earned it,” Aric assured her, “and while we’re on board, you don’t have to call me ‘sir.’ You can call me Aric, it you want, or Jorgan…..I’ll answer to either.”

“Thank you, sir….err, Aric,” she replied, “and I’m Elara. You mentioned that we were stopping at Carrick and I’d like to pick up some supplies with your permission. I’m afraid the med bay isn’t stocked very well at all. I should have plenty of time to fill out the proper requisition forms so you can look them over and sign them when we dock.”

“Uh….sure, I’ll look them over as soon as they’re ready,” Aric replied, I’m not even sure what those things even look like! “I’m glad you thought of medical supplies. I really didn’t have much time when I left Coruscant and Val’s been patching us up when needed.”

“I was wondering……why are you working with her and Corso? It’s a little unusual.”

“That’s why I came to find you, Elara,” Aric explained, “There’s a lot you don’t know……follow me.”

Aric took her to the ship’s holo and plugged his datapad in, Tia’s image appearing seconds later.

“Isn’t that Sergeant Vleska?” Elara asked.

“Yes, and she is a crucial piece to our missions,” Aric explained, “Her and Needles were two former members of Havoc Squad. They all defected to the Emipre back on Ord Mantell. General Garza reformed Havoc, putting me in charge to hunt down the traitors. However, Sergeant Vleska didn’t really defect.” Then he played Tia’s first two messages to Val, telling Elara about the bracelet with Val’s hidden tech inside of it.

“Oh, my,” Elara gasped, “That’s a very dangerous thing she’s doing……especially with no training!”

“It is,” Aric sighed, “but because of her quick thinking and Val’s tech, we were able to cut off their supply lines on Coruscant, take out their relay, and capture Kardan.” He showed her the text message about Wraith and the senator, “we were able to save the Senator, but Wraith escaped. Val and Corso have been working with me and in return, I’ve given them assistance when needed. We got this message when we left Port Raga,” Aric played Tia’s message from Taris for Elara.

“Oh, Aric,” Elara sighed, “I can’t imagine what she had to witness……what we saw was awful….and she had to let it happen over and over again, not to mention how alone she must’ve felt……she’s a strong young woman.”

“I know,” Aric nodded, “Corso and I couldn’t sleep that night when her speeder was shot. I kept hearing her words over and over……the thought of her dying, thinking she was a monster……and I’d been so hard on her while she was on Ord.”

“I was just going to ask you why she broke your nose when she’s on our side,” Elara looked at him, eyebrow raised, “I started coming to when she tripped you and saw what she did.”

“Well……I might’ve deserved that a little bit,” Aric looked sheepish, “She was a rookie and unfortunately, I’d seen way too many careless rookies get themselves killed on Ord…..sometimes taking good soldiers with them to an early grave. I learned to put them in their place from the start and Sergeant Vleska didn’t appreciate that at all…..as you could probably tell.”

“You’ve treated me well since you arrived on Taris,” Elara smiled.

“You seem to be a lot more serious minded and level headed than most young officers. Also, working with Val has made me realize I needed to revise my thinking a little,” Aric chuckled, “When I first arrived on Coruscant, I thought Sergeant Vleska truly defected. Val blamed me for sending her in to that Separatist base alone, saying I’d driven her to do something dangerous and stupid. I guess Sergeant Vleska hated that I made her feel incompetent and was determined to prove otherwise. Val and I had it out more than once that first day, but she had a point and deep down, I blame myself too.”

“You did what was right at the time, sir,” Elara assured him, “You had valid reasons for the way you were with new soldiers and you treated her no differently than any other. Who knows…..maybe Sergeant Vleska got it out of her system.”

“Maybe, but I could’ve backed off a little when she’d proved herself in the field. Instead I let my pride get in the way……she isn’t cocky, but she doesn’t necessarily respect her superior officers. From what I read in her file, that has always been an issue with her and I was determined to help her work on that,” Aric chuckled, “We butted heads the whole time she was on Ord and some of the looks she gave me could’ve frozen Tattooine.”

“In the Empire, you don’t live long if you don’t show proper respect for rank,” Elara sighed, “Even if the ranking officer is an incompetent fool…….because even a fool can give the order for your head.”

“After everything that’s happened with the Havoc traitors, I’ve started thinking Sergeant Vleska had good reasons for not blindly respecting the rank. I wished I hadn’t,” he admitted, starting to feel the fatigue of the past few days, “I suspected there were Imperials on Ord Mantell, but when Tavus told me we could look into that some other time, I just respected his decision because he was the higher ranking officer instead of going with my gut. I won’t make that mistake again.”

“That's one of the reasons I defected,” Elara told him, “I was starting to question my superiors when they were giving orders to do things that I felt were unnecessary, cruel, and opposed everything I believed in. They were starting to question my loyalty and I just knew I was going to be tested……that they would ask me to do something that would go against my conscience. So one night, I packed everything I could into a duffle and slipped away into the darkness while on night patrol. I turned myself in at the first Republic command post I came across and never looked back.”

“You did the right thing, Elara,” Aric assured her, “I’m glad you got away before you were forced to do something awful.”

“Me too,” she sighed, “I just hope Sergeant Vleska is able to get through all of this without any more strain on her conscience that she already has.”

“From what we saw in that message, I get the feeling Taris is going to haunt her for a while,” Aric replied, “Who knows, maybe she can focus on being pissed that I’m the one helping her and get past what happened on Taris. If fighting with me helps her cope, then I won’t complain……at least not until she’s back with us.”

“I’ll be sure to keep extra kolto on hand, sir,” Elara smiled.

“Let’s just hope she doesn’t make a habit of breaking my nose,” Aric snorted, “Anyways, I think I’m going to try and get some sleep. We should be at Carrick in about seven hours.”

Author's Note:

Hopefully this makes sense.....keep in mind, I rarely put something in a story without a reason. I hope I did Dorne justice in this piece. I figure she and Jorgan are going to be working closely together for a bit so a first name basis while in private shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Edited by alaurin

Comments:

@DarthSillyMonkey:

"Doesn't make me a Jedi or anything. Just a guy who's trying to be better than someone he was... a long time ago."
With all that's happened to him recently, I suppose that he feels a lot of guilt. It's good he thinks he's still earned a chance to be a better person, even if he can't undo the past. Eagerly waiting for the next part!

@YoshiRaphElan: I can image the situation being very unnerving for Elara. Especially since she is a guest and not in her own home. Crysta playing with Skadge's shirt is so cute.

@bright_ephemera: I like the way you describe the difference between the joiner memories and collecting own experiences.

@alaurin:

“I’ll be sure to keep extra kolto on hand, sir,” Elara smiled.

Sounds like a good idea.

Thank you for the kind comments on the last part of my story, I hope you will like the next one too. Zal decided to make things a little bit more complicated.

Prompt - Might qualify for 'Communication Breakdown'

Title - Hating Ord Mantell VI

Class - Trooper (Nikeo), Smuggler (Zal)

Words - About 1260

Spoilers - no spoilers

When Nikeo entered the building of Rendia Freight, he met a good-looking brunette.

“Hi, I’m Syreena. You must be Nik. Zal is waiting for you upstairs. Last door on the right.” She said while she sized him up.

“Thanks.” Nik headed for the stairs.

“Got to say, she didn’t lie when she said you were handsome.” She chuckled when she saw him blush slightly. “You’re cute! Makes me wish I was in need of a domiciliary visit too.”

“I hope you don’t expect me to accidentally shoot you first too.”

She laughed. “I think I’ll stick to watching your backside as you climb up the stairs. Anything else would probably get us both into trouble with Viidu.”

So Zal thought, he was handsome. He climbed the stairs, turned right and walked over to the last door. He knocked.

“Come in!” Zal called.

Nik entered the room. “Doctor Blue-Eyes, at your service!” he announced himself.

Guestroom, one other door, probably to the refresher. He could hear Zal laughing from in there. “Sorry, haven’t had time for a shower yet, had to talk to Viidu first.”

Nik sat down in one of two armchairs. A covered tray sat on the small table in between. He could hear the rushing of the water. The pattern of the carpet wasn’t very intricate and the landscape of the wallpaper was rather bleak. He tried to think of anything else than Zal under the shower. Did she do this on purpose?

“How long will you stay on Ord Mantell?” she called after the rushing of the water had stopped.

“I don’t know, depends on the circumstances.”

“Do you already know where you will go next?”

“Nope. What about you? Any news on your ship?”

“I’m getting closer. Got another lead.”

“Need some help?”

“I appreciate the offer, but I think I can manage.” Viidu and his friend wouldn’t like her giving Nik a tour of the secret smuggling passages.

“Where will you go after you got your ship back?”

“Haven’t decided yet. The galaxy seems to be getting more dangerous every day. More danger means there’s more money to be made. More money always means higher risk. And as it seems I am running out of luck of late.”

“Could have been worse. You could have been shot by someone much less likable than me.”

“Yeah.” She stood in the doorway, grinning at him. “Or by a much better shot.”

She had a towel wrapped around her head, hiding her long black hair. Her blue eyes were glittering mischievously. She wore some t-shirt that was big enough for at least four women her size and left her legs bare beneath mid-thigh. She had wrapped a scarf around her waist to keep the shirt in place. Nonetheless its neckline had already slipped down her right arm baring her shoulder.

Nik remembered to close his mouth.

She laughed again. “So where do you want to do it, here or in the refresher?”

Where did he want to do…—oh—the wound—of course. “Let me take a scan first.”

The scanner revealed only a minor contamination of the wound. With clean water, disinfectant, a local anesthetic, and a laser scalpel treatment was easy. Nik had worked under worse conditions. The hardest part was to concentrate on the wound and let himself not be distracted by the rest of her body as she leaned against the sink.

Zal watched Nik. He focused on what he was doing. She liked flirting, she liked flirting with him more than with anybody else in the past months. He hadn’t talked much about himself or his work. He was with Special Forces, newly assigned to his Squad. What bothered her was that she wasn’t bothered about not knowing more. Of course it wouldn’t matter once she had retrieved her ship. The odds of meeting him again were long.

“I’ll apply some kolto now and in a few hours your shoulder will be as good as new.” He told her.

She immediately felt the cooling effect.

“Zal?” He sounded serious now.

“Yes?”

“I am sorry I harmed you!”

Looking into his eyes she could see that he meant it. “Hey, you were faster, or I would have shot too.” She swallowed. “For a moment leaning against that wall, unable to hold my weapon, I thought I was going to die. I was so relieved when I recognized you, it never even occurred to me to be mad at you.” She touched his hand, that pressed the kolto-plaster to her shoulder, wondering what she was doing telling him the truth.

He took her hand, lifted it to his mouth and gently kissed its back. Her fingers started to trace his jawline.

“Syreena left us some food.” she said low-voiced. Her fingers had reached his neck.

His hand that had still been holding the kolto-plaster started to explore her naked shoulder. “Are you hungry?” he asked huskily.

“Not sure. How about an appetizer?” She held his neck and pulled him closer until their lips met. She kissed him and gently nibbled at his lower lip.

“No objections.” He managed between intensifying kisses. Traveling down her back, his hands held her tight against his body. When he reached the hem of her shirt, she wrapped one leg around him. He lifted her up and her other leg followed suit. By the time they reached the bed they both had forgotten about dinner.

Later they ate some cold slices of roba steak and enjoyed dessert afterwards. Eventually Zal’s head rested on Nik’s arm, her hair still draped across his chest, tickling his neck. He stroked one of the silken strands, entwining the hair between his fingers still trying to catch his breath.

“Zal?”

“Huh?”

“You know I am no customs officer?”

“What?” She turned her head to stare at him.

Crap, he suddenly felt like standing in the middle of a minefield. “Look, I can’t talk about my job. Not because I don’t trust you, but because I am not allowed to. I think I know what you’re doing, but you…”

“Wait!” she interrupted him, sitting up straight, pushing away from him, pulling her hair out of his fingers. “You get to bed with me and afterwards you’re telling me I got some trust issues?” Her eyes sparkled with anger.

“No—I—kark! I am worried Zal. I like you. I’d like to help you.” He reached out for her, but she slipped out of the bed, wrapping herself in the bedsheet.

“Thank you very much, but I get along on my own pretty well!” She headed over to the refresher. “I suppose you’ll find the way out on your own.” She closed the door behind her. He could hear her locking the door.

Nik was dumbfounded. He didn’t know what he had done wrong. He got up and went over to the door to knock. “Zal? Please…” The only answer was the rushing of the shower. There was nothing he could do, but to get dressed and leave.

Zal heard him leaving. She sat down beneath the jet of water and leaned her head against the wall. Too many emotions. It would not have worked, he had gotten too close too fast. She had been forced to stop it. She couldn’t afford to have him keeping her under surveillance, even if he had only the best of intentions.

“Force! Get your hormones under control Io!” she scolded herself. It was high time that she got her ship back and left this forsaken planet.

I had completely forgotten that, but MOAR VETTE AS SMUGGLER. :D

Ask, o ye of little bandwidth, and you shall receive. Hope this cures your itch and hurry back!

Unable to get this idea out of my head, I tossed something together pretty quick, because I couldn't focus on my other stuff! And really, if I don't torture Drokk, who will?

Prompt: Adwynyth wants moar Smuggler Vette

Class: Smuggler (Korav'ette - who is really Vette in disguise, since thousands of SW's weren't keen on the idea of losing their romance option due to her occupation change)

Title: Smuggler Vette and the Offer of Dooooooom!

Words: Short piece, only 1720. (What? That IS short for me!)

Timeframe: Shoooooortly into Chap.2

Spoilers: SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPL-- oh, you mean for SWTOR! Sith Warrior Chap.1 and 2'ish storyline stuff

"RIIIIIGGS! Could really use some back up here!!" Her screaming barely carried over the blaster fire in the small cantina.

"Workin' on it, Captain!" she heard him yell in frustration from behind an upturned table, across the room.

They had been sitting in the bar, having a drink and wishing for some excitement. Almost as if he had been waiting for his cue, Quinn walked in and sat down at her table.

Always with the dramatic flair, that guy.

The Captain of the stuffed shirt brigade had made her an offer that she could easily refuse... so she did.

He didn't take it well. Actually, he and his friend hadn't taken it well. The large Imperial soldier who had them pinned down was apparently working with Quinn. She wouldn't exactly say for Quinn, because of the way the soldier responded to his commands. Replying with 'I'm on it, you uptight wad' didn't exactly make them besties in her estimation, but whoever he was, he was good. Possibly HAVOC squad good.

And that's bad. REAL bad.

"Vette! You still have a short time to re-think my offer." Quinn waved a shock collar in the air, "You can't win. You're outclassed, both in tactics and firepower. Surrender now, and my Lord may only take a hand."

You pompous, overstuffed, self righteous... "Quinn, If I'd known you missed me this much, you would've been on my life-day holocard list! Don't worry though, I'll send you Durosian fruitcake so you don't feel left out!"

"How droll. I had almost blessedly forgotten how your smart mouth runs at length through any situation. I believe I'll ask M'lord to remove your vocal cords instead of your hand."

"And miss out on all these great zingers I'm throwing? You oughta smile for once Quinny-poo, give your 'brooding face' a vacation. It's overworked." She fired a few bolts over the bar, in their general direction. Last time she tried to aim, super soldier guy almost took off a lekku. She tapped the comm in her headdress.

"Princess, you'd better have a plan cooking, girl. Me and the bumpkin here are about to buy the farm."

Her comm buzzed, "I'll bet he's excited to hear that. Too bad he doesn't realize it's just an expression." Risha chuckled.

"Hey! I'm right here, y'know! More plan makin' and less hasslin' me, if you don't mind!"

"Really Vette, we just get back together and you're already causing me problems. Just like old times", she could almost hear Rish's grin. "Hold on, my plan is on its way. I'd stay away from the east wall, were I you and the farmboy."

"Give it up, girly!" She heard the soldier say. "You can't outgun us, and you can't outrun us! Do us a favor, and surrender while we still have time to grab a drink! Might even let you dance a little!"

"Incoming in five, you two." Risha's voice came through her com.

"Sorry, can't fit into the slave girl bikini anymore. Freedom to eat nerfburgers at will breeds certain side effects. Corso works out. He might look good in it!" She stood up and started sweeping her blasters across the room.

Simultaneously, Corso popped up from behind his table and joined in, firing his rifle and moving to her position. "Dammit Captain! I wish you'd stop saying stuff like that! It's creepy!"

"Vette! Final chance! Surrender, or die!" Quinn's voice was commanding, showing only enough emotion to indicate he might be frustrated.

At that moment the east wall exploded inwards, shattering tables and chairs, and throwing debris as far as the front door, where Quinn and the soldier were holed up. Outside, Bowdarr and C2 pulled speeder bikes to the newly made entrance. Without missing a beat, Vette and Corso ran over and jumped on the backseats. Blaster fire rained through the hole, barely missing them as they pulled away.

If I'm lucky, a piece of wall hit Quinn in the head killing him! Nah, if I were that lucky, I'd have won the galactic lottery by now... twice.

Risha strolled into the galley. "Well, now that we're off Nar Shadda, you want to tell me what in the hell happened? Corso's depiction doesn't exactly make a lot of sense. The translator doesn't do hickspeak."

"Hey! You were all over me before we even got out of orbit! Running for your life is not exactly the best time to play 20 questions!" Corso crossed his arms and sulked.

Vette grinned at their banter. Despite the constant spats, they had each others back. It was a nice feeling, being supported like that.

Her past life had been filled with humiliation and shock. Not the 'horror movie' kind (well, there were a few of those too), but actual electrical shocks. Anwar never removed her shock collar, and he took great joy in its continued existence around her neck. Apparently, even in death, he wasn't planning to leave her alone for long however.

She poured herself a straight shot of Durosian tequila. Then another.

"Uh huh. So it's bad then?" Risha looked at her.

"Sure, if 'stalked by a relentless rancor who wants to play with you before biting off your extremities and hanging your body from its neck like a good luck charm' is bad, then it's like that." She took another shot.

"Ok Captain, spill. What's going on? And who was that Quinn guy? Seemed pretty full of himself." Corso kicked back on the couch.

She stared at her drink, and then downed it. "Well, plan to see a lot more of him. Apparently, his new lord wants me back in my old position of 'slave and ship jester', just, y'know, with less actual jesting this time."

"Vette..." Risha stodd next to her behind the counter.

The Twi'lek sighed, "Ok, so here's the scoop. After I nearly killed Anwar and escaped, Quinn decided to continue on the original mission. We were tracking down some Jedi gal with special powers. In the course of being Quinn-like, he's fulfilling Anwar's dying wish."

Corso came over to the counter and grabbed a beer. "Which was...?"

"To find me, and fit me with the shock collar again, to be the slave for his replacement, whoever that is."

"RAWWWWWWR rolff wahhhrgg"

Vette smiled at the wookie, "You said it, pal. Never again. So I turned him down, and he decided to take me by force. No idea who the soldier was, never seen him before. Probably on loan from Baras."

"Ce-na, how serious is this Quinn fellow? What are we up against?" Risha took a sip of her drink, a rum concoction. Vette looked her in the eye. Rish never used her real name unless she was worried.

"Remember when we were kids, we stole that map from old Gnarl Eboda?"

Risha grimaced, "How could I forget? The man chased us for weeks! Might still be, if he hadn't met that asteroid face first."

Vette nodded, "Yeah, Quinn makes him look stupid. He may be a big, puffed up jerk, but he is the smartest, puffed uppest strategist jerk I know, and tenacious as vrbither. If Quinn's decided I'm coming back, he's got at least three plans to make it happen."

"So, not only do we need to worry about whatever the Republic asks us to do, now we have to keep an eye out for this guy too?" Corso took a pull on his beer.

"Pretty much Riggsy-boy, but it doesn't mean we don't have fun in the process! Brooding doesn't make profit, and profit keeps us flying!" Vette smiled broadly and raised her shot glass.

"I heard that, Captain!" He tapped her shot glass with his bottle.

"We need to relax!" Vette slammed her last shot. "Fire up the holovid, Riggs! Call of HAVOC: 3 here we come! Hey if that RuskCMDO jerk is playing, you guys gotta help me out. Cheatin' bastage keeps killing me with his d*mn knife!"

Quinn approached the meditation chamber where he knew she'd be. He was not looking forward to this.

"M'lord, I've returned." The door slid open on its own, revealing darkness.

"I can see that, and yet I don't see the Twi'lek. After you even took Lt. Pierce along, too. Failure doesn't suit you, Malavai." A female voice pierced the dark.

"Yes, M'lord. I apologize. We will bring Vette to heel next time."

"You had better, Quinn. Master Anwar's last thoughts were not of me, but that damnable Twi'lek! I mean to honor his final wish, but beyond that, this Vette will have to show me what made her so valuable to him, if she wishes to survive."

A well built female stepped into the light. She had short medium length brown hair, and brown eyes. She radiated bloodlust like a perfume.

"It was something I never understood either, Lord Jaesa."

"I guess we'll find out soon." She smiled wickedly. "Won't we, Quinn?"

He felt a mild pressure on his throat. A reminder of who he now served, and how she would treat failure. "Yes, M'Lord. If you'll excuse me, I have some leads to follow up on."

"Yes, you're dismissed, Malavai."

As Malavai Quinn walked to the cockpit, he rubbed his throat.

Lord Anwar had been harsh, but he understood the value of a good subordinate. His apprentice, however... not so much.

After Vette's betrayal, he pushed himself to find the hidden Jedi Darth Baras had tasked him with. Not for Baras, but for himself. Lord Anwar turned Jaesa Willsaam to the dark side, but the result was not as forseen. She had become bloodthirsty, controllable only by Lord Anwar.

Shortly after, Baras turned on his apprentice, and they were on the run. Anwar grew more concerned with his reputation amongst the Sith. Vette had never been more than a toy, but her escape consumed him. Lord Anwar felt it an affront to his honor, that he had been bested by a lowly slave.

Darth Baras' assassin had struck in a moment of weakness, and Anwar fell before him. With his final breath he bestowed on Jaesa his title of Lord, and tasked her with bringing Vette back into the fold.

Jaesa took this to heart. Her devotion to Quinn's former master bordered on mania, and his requests were divine law. For him to still obsess over a slave stabbed at her. She now wanted Vette as much as Lord Anwar did, but for different reasons. More... personal reasons.

He stepped into the cockpit and looked out at the stars, working through the possible destinations to which the Twi'lek and her crew might be headed.

You can run, Vette. Hiding though, well, that is an entirely different tune altogether.

Notes:

So I thought it would be cool to remove the Sith Warrior completely out of the picture, and let evil Jaesa take the reigns. I've not gotten to work with evil Jaesa yet, so everything I'm using is based off some impressions I've gotten from Bright's works, as well as youtube. She seems to still be blindly devoted to the SW, just in evil instead of good. Also, they have Pierce, so Team Evil is past Taris at this point.

Edited by DarthSillyMonkey

COMMENTS! It's what's for dinner!

@Yoshi: I would imagine Elara would be pretty antsy. Love the interaction between her and Mako. Mom and mom to be swapping stories and advice. Love to see how she handles living with Skadge, the only guy worse than Tanno Vik, with her sensibilities.

@Bright: Man, that's gotta be hard. Vector was my favorite companion, personally. Just thinking about meeting his replacement, and then the knowledge that she probably thinks she knows him just through the shared memories. Not sure I'd handle that as well as he does. Loved the view from her side as a companion piece for Wynston.

@Alaurin: Love how Val was giving Jorgen hell. The tot healing Jorgen was cute, be interesting to see those kids in a few years, and how this interaction shaped them.

@Frauzet:

“Look, I can’t talk about my job. Not because I don’t trust you, but because I am not allowed to. I think I know what you’re doing, but you…”

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! Dammit Nikeo! Don't you ruin this great pairing for us readers! Great story, Frau. Knowing how he's nervous about what he's been assigned to do, I can totally see how that would hang around his head and make him say stupid stuff out of the blue. His innocence at the end there was a nice touch.

@alaurin, okay, Mary was a surprise! What a powerful gift to have...and very nice for Jorgan.

@frauzet, I love this scene. The tension throughout and then the panic at the end - poor Nikeo.

@DarthSillyMonkey, Great shades of Marka Ragnos, that was a marvelous story! I love the setup, I love the snappy dialogue. Jaesa's school of death-threat management sounds just about right. There, Quinn, I hope you enjoy your chain of command.

(As for Vector in my piece, yeah, Vector is my very favorite of the companions I have unambiguous feelings about. No contest. So naturally I killed him in canon?)

Index is up to date once again!!!

Comments/Replies: this is going to take a while! :D

@theStirge: Yay pics!!! I always love pictures! Nice piece with Zel and Temple, it will be interesting to see how that storyline develops. I like that Zel is able to admit her fears, and they are valid ones. It makes her more of a real person over a powerful Jedi.

@Bright: I always love the interactions between Wynston and Quinn! I have to side with Wynston on the Sith killing strategy. Hazard seems like an interesting character, I'm looking forward to seeing more. I'm also really starting to like Pierce Jr. Also, loved this:

"You've got a tragic air of your own," said Junior. "It's all blended in with this adolescent anger thing, but it's there. Dramatic. Stormy. Give it a couple years, your father won't be able to peel the ladies off you even if he wants to."

"You're just saying that because I look like him and if he's straight you'll bang the next best thing."

"Would it work? – If I were planning such a thing."

@alaurin, okay, Mary was a surprise! What a powerful gift to have...and very nice for Jorgan.

Who knew Jorgan would inspire children to like him.....glad you liked little Mary's method of fixing boo-boos. Jorgan's not done getting boo-boos though, so it's probably good that Dorne is joining Havoc!

@Striges: I always wished there was an option to not turn in that Holo of Kel'eth Ur.....you know Alaric is just going to hide it away or end up destroying it.

@marissalf: That is a really scary thing for Melodai to be facing!! I can't even begin to imagine the fear she must be feeling!

@alaurin, That was a very intense story! I like how you wove the class mission in with the personal stuff. Very excited to see this coming together.

Thanks! It was an intense piece to write and I was worried about how well people would accept me tying those people together into my story. Things are going to be interesting for Kat and Tia now.

@Yoshi:

Prudii patted him on the shoulder. "Keep your knees tucked close to your chest and make sure your helmet's sealed. As soon as you hit the ground take cover and activate a beacon for your squad to rendezvous around. Don't move in until they've all rendezvoused. Do that and I can almost guarantee you'll all survive long enough to begin the assault."

Spoken like someone who has done this many times! Nicely done! Also, I'm really enjoying this next generation you've developed. I can't imagine that Cadi's parents would be very happy with her methods and it sounds like she doesn't care for them much herself. I also loved that piece with Dorne and Mako, I can see the two of them bonding over pregnancy and children......very touching.

@alaurin, Mary healing Jorgan's broken nose was so cute! I love the rest of the story, too. :D

Thanks! Kissing boo-boos always makes them better......in Mary's case, it really did! It's too bad Jorgan couldn't keep the little tot around for a bit.....hopefully Dorne's up to the task of keeping him patched up from future encounters with Tia. :D

@Lesaberisa: TeeHee, I love how Amitia takes cheap shots at Scourge! It's too bad he got the last word with that bit. I say that as I'm petting my own black cat who loves to sit on my lap as I'm typing. However, after nearly 14 years, he hasn't brought me any bad luck. As for Veresia, I'm glad she took care of Urlos, but it is sad that she had to open herself up to darkness. Also,

I felt my throat tightening as I activated the first of the torture devices. I tried not to see or hear what followed.
a very difficult first day on the job for Mina.

@Alaurin - Oh Murghir.....if only your true nature hadn't been so blatantly obvious thanks to Bioware's camerawork in your first cutscene. As for your story - it was appropriately graphic and intense given everything that Murghir was responsible for. I'm looking forward to see what Kat does next :cool:

Glad you liked it....I always thought Pirrell had to have been a huge idiot for thinking Murghir was a slave. She certainly didn't act like a proper one. That wasn't an easy piece for me to write, but Kat isn't one to react well to a threat to her family and Tia's life could be on the line. Kat intends to get justice for her family, but isn't willing to sacrifice her soul to do it. Both her and Tia are going to have a rough road ahead in many ways.

@DarthSillyMonkey: I can completely see Drokk wanting to keep Dorne safe and it was nice that she got to see that he's become a different person from that man she'd seen before. I'm really wondering what Fenn'rys is up to with Drokk and letting Dorne go.......she's a crafty one! Also, I loved your Vette piece......you nailed those companions well and it'll be fun to see where that goes!! I haven't gotten far with my DS Warrior that converted Jaesa, but my husband played one that converted her and boy is she psycho creepy!!!!

@Alaurin: I liked it! The marriage of two pieces of one-off information, or one-off stories from the game, that doesn't affect the overarching storyline as a whole is always one of my fave things to see. When you can weave that seamlessly into your background, it makes it even better. Nicely done!

Thanks! I was a little antsy about that piece because of the liberties I took with those NPC's. There will be plenty more weaving to come!

@Alaurin: Love how Val was giving Jorgen hell. The tot healing Jorgen was cute, be interesting to see those kids in a few years, and how this interaction shaped them.

Hmmm, maybe I will have to write a piece about those kids in the future......an interesting idea. Val still hasn't completely forgiven Jorgan for being such a turd to Tia, even if she understands his reasoning behind it. She's certainly going to take cheap shots at him when she can, especially on things that relate to her friend.....and she's definitely going to have more opportunity. :D As for Jorgan, maybe I should give the poor guy a break......

@frauzet: I really liked the insight into Nik's past, the reflections on Nat and their rift. I hope they find each other at some point down the road. Also......oh, boy Dr. Blue-Eyes, you really botched that up with Zal! I loved that story though.....especially the ending....I'm sensing more intrigue to come!

@alaurin: Liked the Mari, Jorgan, Kian story, the end of this story is probably only the beginning of awkward for Jorgan, hehe.

Good for her to recognize the price she was about to pay.

hehe, glad you liked that Mari, Kian, and Jorgan piece. I don't know if or when I'll ever write about them again.....maybe if I ever decide to give the Dorne romance a go. It was fun to write and yes, that is definitely an awkward moment for Jorgan and Kian......won't be the last one either! ;) As for Kat, she doesn't take threats to her family kindly, but isn't willing to sacrifice her soul for vengeance. As for Jorgan and Dorne, Tia's not done with him yet so I get the feeling he's going to need the extra kolto! :D

Ok, well now that I got all of that done.....I guess I'll post a little something. This is cross posted from my Tumblr from last week......I'll let you decide if it is a good or bad thing for Jorgan.

Title: Sweet Dreams

Prompt: Dreams

Character: Tiannya-trooper, Jorgan

Setting: Taris, Thunderclap, immediately following this.

Spoilers: None that I can think of….just who the Trooper companions are.

warning: contains a lot of innuendo and adult themes......probably PG-13....;)

“Does this mean you want to play with me, Captain?” the silvery minx purred, her full, lips forming a suggestive smile when as looked up at him, “Now that you have me, what’s next? Are you going to tie me up and spank me for being a bad girl?”

He felt his body respond to her suggestion and the images it provoked. He knew she was every bit as aroused as he was, yet she still had the upper hand, “I’m sure we’ll find some fitting punishment for what you’ve done. For now, you can enjoy being in Republic custody.”

“Do you want to take me, Captain?” she whispered, wrapping her arms around his neck, bringing his face down to hers, “just make your move and….”

Aric finally gave in to what they both wanted, silencing her with a demanding kiss. Her response was instant, and the only thing that could be heard after were low growls and throaty moans as their kisses grew more urgent. He felt her hands pulling his plating off and tearing his under armor open. His mouth never left hers as he began undressing her. He nearly came undone when he felt those nimble fingers of hers slowly running through the fur on his back. In the blink of an eye, they were in his bed, those lavender eyes, heavy with desire, looking up at him.

“Please, Captain…..” she pleaded, her sultry voice a whisper as she pulled him down to her.

“I want to hear my name whispered in that husky bedroom voice……please Tia…..say it,” he growled, needing to hear it come from her lips.

“Aric…..please……

“Yes, Tia…..” he groaned, lowering his body to hers.

“Sir? Are you alright?”

He looked at her on confusion, “Tia?” She simply smiled up at him, blew him a kiss, then vanished.

“Tia? No….don’t go! Please!”

“Sir…..are you alright?”

Aric sat up in bed, a loud knock at his door bringing him fully awake. He took several deep breaths to calm himself, having illicit dreams about a woman who broke your nose isn’t good, Jorgan……not good at all!

“Sir? Aric……it’s Elara…..Sergeant Dorne. Are you alright? I heard you growling and thrashing about.”

“I’m….uh…..fine, Elara,” Aric called out as he got up, flustered and a little annoyed about who he’d been dreaming about, “Nothing to worry about. It was just…..uh…..just a dream.”

“Anything I can do?” she asked as he opened the door.

“No,” he answered quickly, unable to meet her eye, “I think I’ll take a shower to clear my head…..looks like we’ll be at Carrick soon.”

“I just checked, we’re about an hour away,” she nodded, a little perplexed by his behavior. He was always so direct and in control, yet he seemed almost embarrassed and a little uneasy right then. Maybe he had a nightmare and is concerned I'll think less of him by admitting it, she thought, men are strange sometimes, but I'll leave it alone, “I’ll go make some caffa.”

“Thanks,” Aric called out as he went into the ‘fresher. I think I’m going to need something a lot stronger than caffa after that dream, he thought as he started a very cold shower.

The parts are finally starting to sort themselves out and I have another offering. I apologize in advance for the possible flooding of this thread with my stuff......

Title: After All These Years….

Prompt: Family, Mysteries

Character: Jakkobi-JK

Setting: Coruscant, Defender, around the same time as this.

Spoilers: JK Coruscant

“General,” Jakob began, having just received orders to go to Ord Mantell, “Before I go, I need to speak to a General Garza. Is she on Coruscant?”

“Yes,” Var Suthra answered, eying Jakob carefully, “General Garza is head of Spec Force division. Her offices are down the hall, but why do you need to talk to her.”

That makes sense, Jakob thought, his heart hopeful, General Garza and Spec Forces were both prominent thoughts in Tia’s mind……she really is alive! Jakob had been searching for information about his littermate ever since he communicated with her through the force. So far, he’d been unsuccessful, but he was certain she was alive out there somewhere. The connection of Garza and Spec Forces was proof enough for him. “I need to talk to her about my sister……a personal matter,” Jakob told him, “Don’t worry, it won’t take me long.”

“I didn’t know you had a sister,” Kira chimed in, those blue eyes heavy with suspicion.

“It’s a long story,” Jakob sighed, “and I’ll tell it when we’re on our way to Ord Mantell. Suffice to say, I only recently learned about her.”

“I’ll show you where it is,” Var Suthra nodded, “just be careful, General Garza isn’t one to cross, nor is she one to just have a chat.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Jakob replied, “TeeSeven, Kira, please, can you go on ahead to the ship and get it ready to take off?”

General Var Suthra escorted Jakob to General Garza’s office while Kira and T-7 went on to the spaceport. A hopeful Jakob entered Garza’s office, Var Suthra behind him, to speak with what might be his last resort.

Elin Garza had just gotten off the Holo with Jorgan, sending him to Nar Shaddaa after they read Sergeant Vleska’s last message. She sighed, not looking forward to dealing with the SIS, but having no choice. A noise startled her and she saw a very large robed figure literally filling her doorway. She immediately grabbed for her sidearm, but halted when he stepped in and she realized he was a Jedi.

“I apologize for startling you…..General Garza is it?” Jakob asked.

“I am,” Garza nodded, wondering if she’d done something to offend the Order. She couldn’t think of any reason for a Jedi to be in her office, when she recognized the Mon Calamari behind him, “Is there something I can help you with, General Var Suthra, Master Jedi?”

“I’ve been working with this young man for the past couple of days,” Var Suthra told Garza, “He’s hoping you can help him find his family. I need to go, but let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you, Master Jakob.”

“Thank you, General Var Suthra,” Jakob bowed, “I’ll contact you when I reach my destination.”

“Come on in,” General Garza told Jakob as Var Suthra left.

“I am Jakob,” he bowed, “and I’m hoping you may be able to help me. I think you know my littermate….my sister, Tiannya. It is a long story, but I’ve thought her dead until only a couple of nights ago when I felt her through the force.”

“Go on,” Garza nodded, having a very good idea who his sister was. The white and brown markings on the Cathar's scarred face were identical to Sergeant Vleska’s and he knew her first name.

“Our family was attacked on Nar Shaddaa about ten years ago. My parents and I were on a barge tour when it exploded. I barely survived myself, and sensing danger, the Jedi who found me snuck me away without anyone seeing. She got me off planet and sensing my strong connection to the force, turned me over to the Jedi Order on Dantooine, saying I was a foundling who had no idea what my last name was,” Jakob explained, “I kept to that story after finding out that my littermates….sisters, who’d been staying at our suite, were killed in a similar explosion.”

“What makes you think I know her,” Garza asked, wanting to be certain before telling him anything.

“When I sensed her in the force, she was deeply troubled,” he sighed, “She was injured and in danger, but had thoughts of giving up….of dying. She felt so alone and so guilty for not stopping terrible things she’d witnessed. I reached out and we were able to ‘talk’ to one another. While we were linked, I shared her thoughts….your name, Needles, Spec Forces, Val….those were prominent things in her mind. I was able to talk her through what was troubling her and she finally got past it. I know she made it to safety and found children.”

“Well, Master Jedi,” Garza smiled, “I do know your sister and she is very much alive. I can’t give you any information since Sergeant Vleska’s assignment is highly classified, but I can put you into contact with her CO, Captain Aric Jorgan.”

“Ah, she shortened our family name,” Jakob nodded, thrilled with the confirmation that at least one of his family members survived that day, “I understand, General. It will have to be enough that I know Tia’s alive. Hopefully she will be finished with her assignment soon and I’ll get to see her. You wouldn’t happen to know if our other littermate, Katrynka, is alive, would you?”

“What does she look like?” Garza asked, recalling something she read in Sergeant Vleska’s file.

“Well, I know she was always the same size as Tia, very similar build, same facial features……that was ten years ago though,” Jakob sighed, “We all share the same markings on our faces, but none of us had the same fur color. Kat’s fur is cream colored and her hair was always a reddish brown.”

“I think I have good news for you, Master Jedi,” Garza smiled, pointing at the file on her computer, “Your sister, Tia, was caught stealing medical supplies from the Republic headquarters on Nar Shaddaa six years ago. She agreed to go into Republic custody if someone would take the supplies to a safe house. She claimed it was for children living on the streets and the soldiers there agreed to it. She was sent off to the military the next morning. That afternoon, a young Cathar came to the headquarters asking to see her. One of the soldiers that had taken Tia into custody thought she looked like a relative and made a short note in her file. That young woman never gave her name, but was described as looking very similar to Sergeant Vleska, with the same facial markings, reddish brown hair, and cream colored fur.”

“Kat,” Jakob whispered, tears stinging his yellow eyes, as he sank into the chair in front of Garza’s desk, “After all these years……they’ve been alive this whole time. I’m sorry, General…..thank you……thank you so very much for telling me this.”

General Garza took pity on the young man in front of her, getting up, walking around her desk and patted the large young man on the shoulder, “You have nothing to apologize for, Master Jedi. I can’t even begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now. I wish I had more for you, but Sergeant Vleska’s assignments and whereabouts are classified right now…..for her own safety. I have no information about your other sister, but I have an idea of who might. Captain Valaya Tarenz has been working with Captain Jorgan. She is a freelancer friend of Sergeant Vleska’s and might be able to tell you more. I’ll give you her contact information as well.”

“Thank you, General Garza,” Jakob nodded, getting up, “I appreciate everything you’ve done for me. While it is a shock, I’m overjoyed that my littermates are alive out there somewhere. I have my own assignment that I must attend to, but I will make contact with Captain Tarenz and Captain Jorgan as soon as I can.”

“Before you go, you mentioned Vleska was a shortened version of your family name…..” Garza prodded, wanting to look into those events on Nar Shaddaa. She needed to know if there was additional danger to the courageous young woman risking her life behind enemy lines.

“I’m assuming Kat and Tia changed it for a good reason,” Jakob sighed, “but it’s probably good for you to know the truth in case there are still enemies out there for us. I only ask that you keep this information confidential.”

“You have my word, Master Jakob,” Garza assured him.

“Our family name is Valeskanovaya.”

“I remember that name,” Garza nodded, “Your mother was very popular before she was killed, a tragic loss for the Republic and her children.”

General Garza gave him the contact information and after thanking her once more, Jakob left her office and hurried to the spaceport. For some strange reason, Captain Tarenz’s name kept running through his head, I swear I’ve heard the name Tarenz before…..

As soon as Jakob got on the ship, he went straight to the cockpit and they left for Ord Mantell. Kira and T-7 were waiting for him as he went into the main sitting area after putting the ship into hyperspace.

“Well, Master,” Kira prodded, “You gonna fill us in?” T-7 beeped his agreement.

“First off, please call me Jakob,” he smiled at Kira as he sat, “It seems strange to have people call me master and we’re about the same age……you feel more like my friend than my Padawan.”

“I can do that,” Kira grinned, “so spill!”

“Well, it all starts about ten years ago,” Jakob began, “My parents were diplomats……at least my mother was, I suspect my father was really involved with military intelligence. When I was thirteen, we were on Nar Shaddaa and I was with my parents on a barge tour. My littermates, Kat and Tia…..”

“Littermates?”

“Multiple births are common for Cathar, so instead of referring to them as twins, triplets, quadruplets……you get the idea, we refer to them as litters. There were three of us in my litter, me, Katrynka, and Tiannya. Anyways, Kat and Tia had stayed behind at out suite. Tia had fallen suddenly ill the night before and Kat had gotten into trouble. We had a nanny of sorts……more like someone to try and keep Kat out of trouble……she was a little boy crazy. Tia was as well, but had more restraint than Kat.”

“Something happened that day…..” Kira prodded, sensing Jakob’s unease.

“Yes, we were about halfway through the tour,” Jakob went on, closing his eyes as he went back to that day, the sensations and images still clear, “The barge was docked at the promenade for a photo opportunity. My mother was very popular and people loved her. Everything’s kind of a blur, but suddenly, the barge exploded. There was fire burning me, I felt my face and shoulder tearing. I don’t know how I did it, but I somehow used the force to put up a shield. The pain was bad and I saw my parents nearby, both dead. I wasn’t sure how much longer I’d be able to keep the shield up when the next thing I knew, a small Twi’lek woman was pulling me to my feet, whispering for me to do my best to keep quiet. I felt an odd sensation and she walked me off the barge without anyone seeing us. She took me to a taxi where a small Mirialan girl was waiting.”

“She used the force to cloak you,” Kira nodded, “that’s the sensation you felt.”

“That’s right, and she kept me cloaked while we rode the taxi to the spaceport and went into her ship. She put me in the med bay and piloted the ship off Nar Shaddaa. She told me she was a Jedi, Master Jy’land and explained that she’d just picked up the young Mirialan girl, Melayna, on the Promenade. Melayna was going to study with the Jedi on Dantooine. They were headed to the taxi when Jy’land felt a surge in the force. That’s how she found me. She sensed danger for me, so she cloaked herself and boarded the burning barge, cloaking me as soon as she found me. She told me the force was strong in me and that she would take me to Dantooine with Melayna.”

Melayna=Layna?//Layna=Jakob friend

“Yes TeeSeven, it is the same Layna that was with me on Tython,” Jakob patted the little astromech, “Before we landed, we saw the news of what happened, including the second explosion at the complex where our suite was. My whole family was listed as dead. Master Jy'land was concerned that there was still danger to me out there, so she decided to tell the Jedi that I was a foundling and we didn’t know my last name. She tended to my injuries as best as she could with some help from Layna, who was able to use the force to heal already.”

“If you were so strong in the force, why weren’t you already with the Jedi?” Kira asked.

“My parents argued about that often,” Jakob sighed, “One time I listened in and found out my mother wanted to take me to the Jedi but my father didn’t want his only son…..the only one to carry on his name, to become a celibate Jedi. It was my ‘duty’ to the family to have children and carry on the family name. Both of my parents were from old family bloodlines and steeped in tradition. However, my mother disagreed, saying I’d been blessed with a wonderful gift and should learn to use it. My father loved my mother deeply and I think he was starting to give in when they were killed.”

“So your family was gone and you went to Dantooine to study with the Jedi,” Kira summed up, “What changed? What made you want to talk to General Garza about your sister?”

“I was meditating while on the shuttle to Coruscant from Tython,” Jakob replied, “All of the sudden, I was assaulted with a deep, painful sorrow…..I somehow connected with Tia. She was so sad, so guilt ridden and in danger. She wanted to give up…..to die, but I was able to talk to her and convince her to move past her emotion and fight for her life. While we were connected, I was able to pick up on her strongest thoughts, General Garza and Spec Forces were among those. I was so certain Tia was alive, and I checked every database I could access when I had the time on Coruscant with no luck. That’s when I decided to speak to General Garza and I figured Var Suthra would know her.”

Tia=alive?//Jakob=find Tia?

“Yes, Tia is alive and hopefully Kat is as well. Tia is in Spec Forces on a highly classified mission, so Garza couldn’t tell me where she is or what she’s doing, but she gave me two people I could contact. She didn’t know much about Kat other than a note in Tia’s file from six years ago. General Garza thought a Captain Valaya Tarenz might know more about her,” Jakob paused for a moment, “I swear, I know that name from somewhere.”

“It’ll come to you,” Kira assured him, “You have a lot going on right now, why don’t you get some rest. TeeSeven and I can keep an eye on things.”

“Thank you, Kira,” Jakob smiled, “Maybe sleep will help me focus.”

Jakob entered his quarters, the fatigue from the past two days catching up to him. He’d fought his way through Coruscant’s lower levels, the Works, and the ruins of the Jedi Temple to catch up to Lord Tarnis. Their final battle had drained Jakob, but there’d been little time to rest. He and Kira had to rush back to Var Suthra to deliver the news and plan the next steps in preventing Darth Angral from creating a superweapon that would put millions in danger. All of that combined with the emotional shock of finding out that his littermates were alive after all these years thinking his whole family had been killed was enough to exhaust anyone. Jakob removed his robe, and lay on his bed falling asleep almost instantly.

Edited by alaurin

@alaurin, aw, Elara, I think you're happier clueless...:p As for Jakob, it never occurred to me to think about Republic generals interacting. No doubt they could work well together…but also no doubt that a personality clash would be something to see. Also it’s neat to hear from the third point of this triad.

Now, continuing Hazard’s very first serious arc…and Wynston’s second to last one in canon. First Impressions. I’ll keep dating it in relation to the Ruth!verse’s central moment, though at this point in the timeline Ruth is off doing her Wrathy thing. 1500 words, no spoilers.

October, 24 ATC – 13 years after the confirmation of the Wrath

2.5 years after the death of Vector Hyllus

They neither ate nor drank at Roark’s. Wynston settled his bill for the few minutes’ conference in the room and led Hazard to the spaceport, talking trivia about Kaas City. He had played the tour guide for many a woman before, he could do it here now. No matter how confusing she was to look at. The cadence of her voice was like Vector but not, the fluid grace of her movement familiar yet jarringly punctuated with new mannerisms. He paid closer attention to the city’s landmarks and monuments than he had in the last three decades, the better to avoid seeing the ball of contradictions beside him. Even so, the planetary tourism only lasted as long as getting out of Dromund Kaas’s atmosphere. From here the journey back to the Aegis would be nothing but him, her, and hyperspace.

“I already have the staff preparing quarters for you,” he said. “You’re free to settle in at your own pace. There’s some paperwork, very basic personal information. Beyond that, before you start working for us there’s a battery of aptitude tests we put our agents through. It’ll give us and you an idea of what sort of mission you’re best suited to.”

“We have some experience as a burglar with the associated skills,” she said mildly. “Also hand-to-hand combat. Otherwise housekeeping, which may not be of much use to you.” A wry little smile. “We do have the full complement of physical enhancements provided to a Dawn Herald.” Her hand slid over so slightly across her thigh while she spoke.

He ignored it. “Good,” he said. “The physical evaluation will be a breeze, then. And I suppose a test of knowledge would be a joke to you. You can just access anything anyone in the nest remembers, can’t you?”

She inclined her head. “If you wish to try to test us without the nest’s benefit we can try to suppress the bond for a time.”

“Not necessary.” It wasn’t a skill most Joiners had or had the motivation to master. It wasn’t one he had ever asked Vector to use. “Go through the tests with every advantage you have. You’ll find that much of your training after that is about creating and keeping the advantage. Fair or otherwise.”

The hum of the engines provided their only background. Funny, that he relied on it as the sound of putting distance between him and the past. It wasn’t helping this time.

“Backing up a bit,” he said, “I suppose I should establish something. Do you know what the Organization is for?”

“The defense of the people of the galaxy,” she said at once. “It exists to manipulate matters at a level even the most powerful bullies can’t, and to maintain a balance that imposes a minimum of bloodshed. It is our answer to the detachment of the Jedi and the tyranny of the Sith.”

It was Vector’s voice, so loud Wynston felt tears forming. He rubbed one eye as if it itched and blinked the other clear, cursing that streak of sentimentality. He had done his mourning already. If it weren’t for this upjumped Joiner sitting in front of him he was sure he could keep it under control. “Yes,” he said. “That’s the overall purpose of what you’re signing up for.”

“We do this for the cause and the nest,” she said. “And for you. You have always been our ally.”

Except for that one conflict at the start, when he refused their surprise change of terms. They seemed to have forgotten about it once Vector was settled in with Wynston. Would there be disagreements again now that the real diplomat was gone?

He made small talk late into the night. He could make small talk with anyone, no matter how much he disliked them. Just a skill he had picked up along the way. When she finally signaled readiness to retire he ceded the main bedroom to her – everything he needed to operate fit into a bag, so it wasn’t much of a move to the crew quarters. Then, finally, the day was over.

He’d done his best to treat her like just another colleague. But her voice was hell to listen to. If it were a Joiner of another nest it might just be uncomfortable – but one of Vector’s kind? He never know when he was talking to her and when he was talking to some reference librarian who held resources he couldn’t even guess at.

He set an early alarm and went to sleep.

He woke up alone. Nightclothes, physically rested but mentally ragged, no smells or sounds out of the ordinary in the cramped quarters. He settled at his console to look up the individual known as Hazard.

Few records. She did have a Cartel-issued ID under her name. Joined to the nest two years ago, having come to Alderaan to take a job with some noble family and then run afoul of a Killik patrol.

Twenty years old and not a Joiner by choice. Stars. This was what they sent him. Snub nose, big eyes, and half his years. Did they think they were doing him a favor? He wasn’t sure whether it would have been more or less repulsive for them to send another dark-haired Human male close to his own age.

But she was here now. Her handler would monitor and report on her aptitude tests; then he could put her to work. He had no doubt she would be fitted to…well, something, preferably something he could stay far away from. In a way that was ideal; if someone as level-headed as Vector stayed where he wasn’t, that meant Wynston could trust at least one corner of his Operation to run without his moment-to-moment supervision. She could be ideal.

No, she couldn’t. Not really. Wynston shut the console down and went to get ready for the day.

In another hour Hazard was awake and moving. They went to the bridge together and talked some more, inconsequential things. As good as tooth surgery. She was cordial, knowledgeable – of course she was knowledgeable – and she smiled a little too easily but was otherwise, he knew, on the face of it, perfectly pleasant. It just felt wrong. He kept looking for a face that wasn’t there.

The moment he landed in the Aegis hangar he sent ahead orders for the agent who would serve as Hazard’s handler and mentor during orientation. Then he led Hazard out. “So,” he said, speaking over his shoulder on his way down the ramp, “this is the Aegis. Full complement thirty-two hundred people. Many of our agents never come here; some never even know of its existence. But you get access.” It wasn’t like it had ever been a secret from the nest.

“We are honored,” she said, looking around. It was a hangar, of course. Completely unremarkable. Wynston took a quick pace to the hallway. Which was unremarkable as well, but it got them closer to their goal.

Their goal was a glass room overlooking one of the gymnasiums. There stood a Talz, furred in a subtly mottled off-white, well over human height and almost comically taller than Wynston and his guest. Wynston waved and the Talz bowed back.

“This,” said Wynston, “is Agent Crenzo Rau. He’ll be your contact during orientation. Crenzo, meet Hazard, Dawn Herald of the Oroboro nest. Our latest recruit.”

A hairless gash, maroon and slightly glossy, ran over the Talz’s blunted proboscis and up under his lower eyes; a small cybernetic vocabulator was mounted under his chin. “Welcome,” he said in metallic Basic. “The Aegis clan only invites the best. We look forward to working with you.”

Hazard craned up at him, smiling her gentle close-lipped smile. “Thank you.”

“Living space has been arranged. Once you have rested and filled in some data we can begin.” Crenzo scratched at his chin. “We have a comprehensive set of evaluations. You may choose what to complete in what order.”

“Don’t forget, a physical first,” said Wynston. “To get baseline figures.”

Hazard tilted her head, and Wynston knew those black eyes were fixed on him. “You’re qualified to provide those, are you not?”

“They’re not my specialty,” he said shortly, his stomach turning. “Crenzo, you can take it from here. Aptitude tests, then let’s find a field assignment she can shadow one of our people on. Report to Temple if anything comes up.” She had been friends with Vector, too, but she could probably take this better than he did. He would just have to warn her in advance.

Warnings were better when they were issued in time to dodge, but he hadn’t had that luxury this time.

Gigantic wall of comments incoming. (And apologies if I missed anyone!)

@Yoshi, Loved getting a glimpse of the relationship with Elara and Mako.

Crysta, Elara's niece, toddled behind Mako and babbled in a two-year-old's way about nothing in particular while she waggled a stuffed bantha in the air. Mako regularly responded with "uh-huh" to let Crysta know she was listening.

That’s cute, and absolutely perfect. And I also enjoyed the story introducing Cadi and Rya'a. I think someone else already said it, but I'll agree - I really seeing the different generations of characters.

@frauzet, Love those little looks at the past, seeing Nik’s regrets. I continue to adore Nik and Zal with their flirty banter. And that story definitely delivered on getting them closer. But,

“I suppose you’ll find the way out on your own.” She closed the door behind her. He could hear her locking the door.

Ouch. Here’s hoping they patch things up.

@DSM, Your story got me thinking that it must be so strange for someone unaccustomed to Kaliyo to suddenly be bombarded with her aggressive personality. The agent and crew are used to her crazy (as much as they can be), but for Drokk, Kaliyo’s got to be one of the biggest adjustments to spending time aboard that ship. I don't envy him!

I really enjoyed Dorne and Drokk’s interaction, and I’m dying to know just what Fenn’rys has planned for all of this.

And Vette as a smuggler — I love this! I can definitely see DS Jaesa taking up the fallen warrior’s mantle and becoming even more bloodthirsty. I’m with Adwynyth, I’d definitely like more of this.

@Bright,

Six PM any night at the place in Kaas City where Vector got sick over juma juice on one early visit. Only Wynston and the Oroboro nest would even remember what that meant.

This little detail is great. It does so much to illustrate Wynston’s affection for Vector. Hazard’s viewing of Vector’s memories was especially well done, as was Wynston recalling memories of his friend in some of her conversation.

It was Vector’s voice, so loud Wynston felt tears forming. He rubbed one eye as if it itched and blinked the other clear, cursing that streak of sentimentality.

Wynston’s affection for Vector is just heartbreaking in this story. And how difficult for Hazard to have to step into those very big shoes with all the history that’s there.

@alaurin,

“Too bad little Mary couldn’t fix the damage to Aric’s pride from having his butt handed to him by a……” Val smirked.

*giggles* Man, Aric gets beat up a lot. And in the dream story, well that’s just cruel :p I enjoy seeing how Tia’s getting to him. So much fun to read.

And Jakob! So glad that he got confirmation that his sisters are alive. Can’t wait to read what’s next.

@theStirge,

"Seriously, Raina, stop with the My Lord. Go talk to Scourge if you want to Lord someone, he'll dig it."

Ha! I liked that line a lot. Raina exploring her Force-sensitivity is fascinating to me. There’s so much to expand on there.

@Lesaberisa

@Marissalf - Moving down the family tree with making your characters miserable I see

It’s what I do. :D

How quickly Amita’s view on poor Mr. Whiskers changed. Can’t say I’m surprised Scourge didn’t warm to the critter (but now I’m imagining him reluctantly cuddling the little thing, and it's adorable).

Mina and Veresia’s stories were both interesting takes on losing one’s humanity. Veresia’s looking for revenge — to survive, even — and Mina’s faced with an uphill battle to please her speciesist (to borrow DSM’s term) superiors through whatever means necessary. I enjoyed seeing the internal struggle from both.

Picking up just about where I left off, maybe a few days after.

NotLP: Confessions/Discovery

Title: Subject No. 2

With Melodai and Ellis, about 1300 words

Spoilers: None

Mel slipped through the upper level of the Elektra in her bare feet, cold durasteel complicating her stealthy task with every footstep. She glanced over her shoulder, back toward her bed, where Ellis Lokin slept soundly beneath the sheets. He stayed there nightly since their first tryst two weeks earlier, coming upstairs after the others had gone to bed and slinking away before they woke. Neither he nor Mel had spoken of keeping their involvement a secret, but both seemed to operate under the notion that it would be less dramatic for all involved if no one else knew. And really, aside from sex there was nothing to tell.

Ellis had a good half hour left before he’d wake and wander back to the crew bunks. A small window for Mel to do what she needed to do, so long as he stayed asleep. His files were in disarray in the corner of the living area he’d claimed for his own. Boxes and boxes overflowed with bulging files and scraps of yellowed paper. How he could get anything done on paper was beyond her, but he insisted on keeping up with the arcane practice.

She carefully eased the lid off one of the boxes and set it aside. The contents begged to spill out, and Mel had to catch a few pages that leapt from the container at the first breath of air. How could he possibly work this way? It was like he wanted to make things as disorganized as possible.

Maybe he did. Mel glanced from the sleeping doctor to the stuffed boxes, her imagination running wild at the thought of all the things he could hide under the guise of a bumbling professor’s disorganization. Without thought to staying quiet, she dumped the contents of the nearest container onto the table, loose pages fluttering to the floor. Another box followed, and one more after. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Mel shook her head, her cheeks growing hot as she stared in disbelief around her. She’d let her mother’s barely restrained prejudices sway her judgment. Kinka still hadn’t forgiven Ellis for some sin his father had committed years ago. The former Intelligence agent was subtle in her undermining Ellis; she’d had years of practice in becoming an undetectable influence, a breeze moving through the trees — felt but unseen. Without even realizing it, Mel had fallen prey to the same guile countless others had succumbed to. She felt incredibly foolish.

Mel had every intention of telling Ellis that they’d run through a rough bit of space. That turbulence had tossed the ship and sent his belongings into chaos. She stumbled over one of the boxes on her way back to bed, the sound of something decidedly not paper sliding across the floor giving her pause.

She bent down to pick up the small vial that had escaped from the beneath the false bottom of one of the overturned boxes. Inside she found several more. The second box held a thick, neat stack of files. The oldest was from decades ago; the most recent from just days earlier.

“Mel?” Ellis’ voice, thick with sleep, cut through the silence. He rubbed at his eyes and looked to the auburn-haired girl sitting among the ruins of his work for an explanation.

She waited to speak or even look up at him, instead studying the small vial she’d plucked from hiding. Where to even begin? She stared at the small thing, but her intense gaze couldn’t make it give up its secrets. It didn’t have the answers she was looking for. Slowly she turned her eyes toward the doctor’s lanky figure standing in the doorway. “What the void is this?” She held the vial aloft in one hand and the thick yellowed file in the other.

“You went through my things?”

“Not really the point right now,” she half whispered. Mel could only imagine what the others would do if they saw this. And cornering Ellis would get her nowhere. She turned the vial over in her hands, the thick liquid swirling lazily with the movement. On the side, a label:

Subject No. 2: Melodai S. Hyllus ***** Specimen 4 of 4 ***** Type: Spinal fluid

“These records were your father’s. He had notes on me. Tests from when I was just a child. How do you...? And this—” she picked up another vial thick with blood, “This is from three days ago. What aren’t you telling me, Ellis?”

“I can explain.”

She rose to her feet and assumed a defensive posture. “Do it fast.”

“There are things about me you don’t know. About my family. They—”

“Not real interested in digging up dear old dad’s failures, Junior.”

He winced at the nickname but brushed off the intended insult. “My mother was a Joiner.”

Mel blinked, letting his revelation sink in. “I’m sorry, what?”

“A Joiner. Till the day she died. Dad kept her a secret, and me along with her. He didn’t know what to do with either of us except test. Obsessively test. I don’t know what he was looking for. I’m not sure if he knew. But then it started happening to me.”

“You lied to me.” She meant to only whisper, but the words came out wrong. Too soft, her voice almost cracking at the sting of betrayal. It took her by surprise, and she narrowed her eyes at him. Answers were more important than feelings, she reminded herself. “Back on Farhurst, you told me you’d never seen a Joiner have offspring. That I was some impossible child.”

“In many ways you were. I’d certainly never met anyone else like me, a true child of the nest. What would you expect me to say?”

“How about the truth, Ellis? That certainly would have been nice after we slept together.” Anger drifting toward bitterness. She was losing the battle with her emotions. “What do you want with me?”

“To continue my father’s work. To succeed where he failed.” He watched her cold glare, saw the cracks that ran beneath the steely surface. If she didn’t let him help her, she would break entirely. “Have the voices started?”

Mel worked to keep her breathing even, staring at him with her jaw clenched. She’d told no one about her waking nightmare. The night they first whispered to her she told the startled crew she’d stubbed her toe on the way to the ‘fresher. But Ellis was speaking as if he knew it all.

“The headaches?”

Mel reluctantly nodded.

Ellis reached for her, wanting desperately to offer comfort to the woman who’d slept soundly beside him not two hours earlier. Mel flinched and pulled away. He tried to keep the disappointment from his face. As if I'm a monster, he thought. “I can help you,” he urged. “I just need more time, more data. I need, well, you.”

She backed further from him and crossed her arms over her chest. “You know what? No. Maybe if you’d been honest with me from the start. But not now. Just give me the treatments you gave mom. We’ll forget all about this, and I’ll take you back to Farhurst.”

“You don’t understand,” he explained. “The treatments won’t work, Melodai. That’s what I’m inelegantly trying to tell you. Dad’s work was trying to find a way to counteract the latent effects of killik pheromones on human offspring. For whatever reason, the drugs used to reverse the Joining don’t have the same effect on us. We’re children of Joiners. Uncharted territory. We can keep the voices of the nest at bay; I can give you something for that. But for how long, I don’t know. It’s only a stopgap. It may be weeks or months or years, but if we don’t find a way to stop it, they’ll take us both.”

“What happens then?”

He looked into her gray eyes, full of fight and fire and charm, lamenting the day that the light inside them would turn black. “Then we’re theirs.”

@Bright: I think it would be very interesting to see how the different Generals interact......and I agree, Elara definitely should remain clueless about that! :D

It was Vector’s voice, so loud Wynston felt tears forming. He rubbed one eye as if it itched and blinked the other clear, cursing that streak of sentimentality. He had done his mourning already. If it weren’t for this upjumped Joiner sitting in front of him he was sure he could keep it under control.

*sniff* I really loved that part.

@marissalf: yeah, Aric is going to have it a little rough for a bit where Tia's concerned.....and he'll have plenty more to dream about soon! :D There will be plenty more Jakob to come.....he's the first male character I've ever played.

As for Melodai, WOW!!!! I can't imagine what is going through her head after finding out about the stuff that's happening to her! I can't wait to see where this goes......I still don't trust Ellis though!

Ok, I have a story for this week's prompt! I've missed Mallay and Bella and came up with this very short (~300 words) bit earlier today.

Title: One Insignificant Little Mirror

Prompt: Superstitions

Character: Mallayse-trooper

Setting: Some Republic base in the Outer Rim

Spoilers: none really, other than the start of the Trooper story

“Dammit!” Mallay muttered, sticking her cut finger in her mouth.

“You know that’s bad luck, right?” a female voice called out, “Seven years of it as a matter of fact.”

“Please tell me you don’t buy into that nonsense,” Mallay rolled her eyes as she bent over to pick up the remains of her compact mirror.

“Yes I do,” her former partner, Mandy, smirked, “My Momma always held true to those old superstitions and my sister didn’t believe it. Then she walked under a ladder two days before her wedding and got stood up at the alter!”

“I doubt the ladder had anything to do with that,” Mallay snorted, “Didn’t you find out later that the guy had been cheating on her?”

“I’m telling you,” Mandy insisted, “That stuff if real! Hey, Lena……Mallay here just broke her mirror!”

“Ooooo,” Lena whistled, “Girl, you in for seven years of bad luck now!”

“Come on,” Mallay sighed, searching through the medic kit she’d just packed for a kolto strip, “Not you too?! You both sound like my sister! Well, I for one don’t buy into any of that superstitious nonsense.”

“Maybe you should…..starting a new position and all,” Lena shrugged.

“Look, I just got promoted into Spec Forces,” Mallay insisted as she zipped up her duffle, “and I’m headed to Ord Mantell to meet up with Havoc Squad! That’s right…..the Republic’s best! My future’s looking pretty good and I highly doubt that one insignificant little mirror is going to change that.”

“Well, best of luck to you, girl!” Lena hugged her.

Mandy hugged her as well, “Stay safe and watch yourself, Mallay.”

“I don’t need any luck,” Mallay grinned, “I’ll be fine…..seriously, what’s the worst that could happen?”

@marissalf, I knew it! I knew he was evil! Well, sort of. Great twist that he seems to be the only person who knows what Melodai is getting hit with.

@alaurin, I was a sufficiently clumsy child that I'm still due to work off at least fifty years of bad lack. In retrospect maybe I should have bought fewer things with mirrors.

Allies with Wynston and Hazard. This is placed during the previous piece, on the journey from Dromund Kaas to the Aegis. No spoilers. 500 and 100 words.

The heavy smoothness of the sheets, the give of the mattress, the controlled electric hum of the onboard systems – the bedroom on Wynston’s ship had its share of expensive novelty. Wynston had deflected Hazard’s casual joke about sleeping arrangements and ceded her the big bedroom outright for the journey to the Aegis. She spent several minutes just walking around looking at everything. There was one set of drawers, half filled with neatly folded clothes; one closet populated with an assortment of coats; a flicker of scent, too faint for detection by an unaided Twi’lek; nothing else in the room to indicate that anyone lived here.

She remembered that, in a way. Wynston traveled light. He lived light.

Their hours of conversation on the way from Dromund Kaas left her both happy and confused. Happy, because he treated her just like an equal. He didn’t stare at her eyes, nor did he uncomfortably place her status as Joiner front and center. There were pauses in their conversations here and there, yes, but they afforded Hazard the chance to recall whatever memory of Vector’s pertained to the situation, which helped her know what to say, and he always moved on with a friendly word. All in all it was a welcome change from working through Imperial space by herself. His company – the company of someone who knew what she was and knew how to deal with it – lessened the loneliness of being so far from the hive. He was courteous, and talkative, and funny – in short, everything Vector remembered.

Which brought her to the confusing part. Vector’s memories of him had the simple colors of affection, a philosophical regard for a man who never let people too close. Somehow that impression didn’t prepare Hazard for the way Wynston moved or the mutable timbre of his voice, from cordiality to brisk professionalism to confident authority, or the charm of his conspiratorial smile. The kind of thing she hadn’t individually cared about since her Joining. Vector and the nest found Wynston in most ways admirable, but Vector never thought Wynston attractive.

Maybe Heralds weren’t supposed to feel this way.

The nest had no opinion for her in the matter. Her tentative feelings fell outside, somehow, in that still-uncertain part of her that had been left independent of the nest’s will. The nest itself didn’t care what she did with Wynston so long as she supported his mission.

Well, she remembered what to do when she didn’t have the nest guiding everything. Right?

Since Dromund Kaas he had ignored every flirtatious line that came his way, which wasn’t consistent with what the nest remembered of his behavior with other interested women. But she could be patient. The important thing was that the nest was back with the Organization, lending its considerable resources – plus one dedicated agent – to what had become Vector’s life’s work.

Her life’s work now. The nest supported its own.

The Song of Unlighting had come and passed while she spoke with Wynston; now, surrounded by the faint soothing music of a healthy hive, she curled up to sleep.

Late the following day, once they’ve reached the Aegis

Once Wynston handed Hazard off to Crenzo he went to the C&C floor to direct operations. He kept on for another nine hours, running a step ahead of his own thoughts until even the safe cold analyses were starting to draw tired circles. At three-thirty he finally gave up the watch.

On the way back to his room he procured a bottle of something brown and sharp. He didn’t open it. He could say no to it. It was just that on a night like this he wanted to say no up close.

Notes:

I want to make clear the disconnect between a guy who’s doing all he can to hide his horror and a girl who doesn’t pick up on all social cues and anyway doesn’t see her proximity to the dead as a bad thing.

This suddenly reminds me of Vierce, except that Vierce struggles to treat the new girl fairly because that’s the right thing to do and Wynston struggles to treat the new girl fairly because that’s the efficacious thing to do. (That says a lot about their respective ethos.) Elara reads the hatred and is thrown off by the development of what passes for niceness. Hazard reads the niceness and is thrown off by…well, that’s what I have to figure out, because it isn’t a perfect mirror. I have no idea how this is going to reach the equilibrium it has in Ruth-less.

Hi everyone! I'm still aroundish and I still read but I fell so far behind in commenting that I'm super lost :] I think I'll pick up the commenting thread starting November.

I have to leave this comment though...

I have no idea how this is going to reach the equilibrium it has in Ruth-less.

seeeeeeeex :rak_03:

Comments:

@DarthSillyMonkey: That was great. I really like the way Vette sees her opponents. She might have an advantage there, acknowledging their skills.

@alaurin: I am looking forward to the family reunion. I like Kira in your story, her suspicion at the beginning and her support at the end.

“I don’t need any luck,” Mallay grinned, “I’ll be fine…..seriously, what’s the worst that could happen?”
uh-oh

@bright_ephemera: Wynston probably is really good at keeping her at a distance with being polite. I think that's something that's really hard to counteract.

On the way back to his room he procured a bottle of something brown and sharp. He didn’t open it. He could say no to it. It was just that on a night like this he wanted to say no up close.
I love this part. There is so much summed up in these sentences.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Nikeo is still young and hasn't that much experience with women. I think he'll get the chance to learn.

This small piece takes place right after the last one. I'd have posted them as one if this had been ready. Hence the numbering.

Prompt - Allies

Title - Hating Ord Mantell VI.a

Class - Trooper (Nikeo)

Words - About 370

Spoilers - no spoilers

When Nikeo entered the mission room Fuse was still there. Jorgan was nowhere to be seen. Good, one less source for possible disaster.

“Hey Blue.”

“Fuse.”

“Uh-oh! What happened?”

So it was that obvious? Nik sighed. “Let’s just say, it’s been the right decision not to apply for the SIS.”

Fuse cleared his throat. “So Sergeant, what have you found out?”

Out of the corner of his eye, Nik could see Jorgan enter the room. “Sir, not very much. The captain doesn’t yet seem to know where her ship is. She mentioned a lead she is going to investigate. And she’s made it quite clear she doesn’t need any assistance in doing so.”

“So her ship is still on Ord Mantell and hasn’t been used to transport the bomb off-world.” Fuse tapped his chin in thought. “As you’re officially still off-duty you should go grab some sleep. Dismissed, Sergeant!”

“Sir.” On his way out Nik saluted Jorgan, who seemed to be considering to stop him, but decided against it. Fuse had ordered Nikeo to get to bed after all, more or less. Nik caught the wink from Fuse behind Jorgan’s back before he left. Him and Jorgan not getting on well together seemed to be another obvious matter. He was grateful for Fuse’s rescue maneuver. Clashing with the Cathar now would probably have been the end of his career.

It might not be entirely fair to blame the whole disaster with Zal on Jorgan, but without his interference nothing of it would have happened. But you wanted to sleep with her, a part of him admitted. Yes, he couldn’t deny that Jorgan had been right about that. But he would have taken his time. Because she’d be leaving in a few days? Whom was he fooling? He had botched things up, that was the truth of it. Still he was in no need to hear this from the Cathar.

Getting some sleep was probably a good idea. He’d be back on duty tomorrow, so getting drunk was out of the question. Whereby getting drunk all alone never seemed to help with any problems anyway. Against his own expectations he managed to fall asleep really fast.

Notes

I got no military background whatsoever, so I hope I don't write too much nonsense, when writing about the trooper.

Fuse and Nikeo being about the same age and Jorgan not being a member of Havoc, Fuse simply had to be on Nikeo's side.