Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks, please stop stacking Endurance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanks, please stop stacking Endurance

Shadowaus
10.29.2013 , 09:46 AM | #1
Its not cool, just stop.

Most tanks that i find in pugs these days are endurance stacked sins or juggs with 10% defense and 40k health :/

Why do people think that this is good..

ZooMzy
10.29.2013 , 09:51 AM | #2
Pfft, I'm proud of my 45k health.

It's much cooler to see 4k to a stat, than my boring 47% absorb, 50% shield chance with Dark Ward, and 18% defense chance

Shadowaus
10.29.2013 , 09:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ZooMzy View Post

It's much cooler to see 4k to a stat, than my boring 47% absorb, 50% shield chance with Dark Ward, and 18% defense chance
:'(

/5chars

cxten
10.29.2013 , 11:57 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowaus View Post
Its not cool, just stop.

Most tanks that i find in pugs these days are endurance stacked sins or juggs with 10% defense and 40k health :/

Why do people think that this is good..
I agree that this is silly and a bit frustrating. Some reasons and further annoyances:

1) In most pugs, there's the assumption that the tank with higher HP is the main tank, and whether a tank is viable in a story mode pug (not a place that really matters, but still) is based on some sense of their number of HP.

2) Many players just have comm gear on, which has been high endurance junk. We are, however, now at the point where oriconian gear has enhancements that have more mitigation (by 1 point!) on them than the purple 66's you can craft, and hence have more mitigation than anything below underworld token gear. Still, tanks using all 69 or 72 comm enhancements are doing it wrong.

3) Many tanks (and even dps/healers) now don't have or want the arkanian armoring set bonus for some reason, despite it being better than 78 armorings and vastly better than 72 armorings. It's now crazily easy to obtain tokens because people shun them like the plague now that even elite comms give "higher level" gear. I think this is related to (1).

4) Many people don't know about the veracity ears and implants (which are only surpassed in total mitigation by the dread forged ones) and instead have some random terrible high endurance ears and implants.

5) There are damage spikes, which necessitates a certain level of HP (and more for sins currently, who also get a modest boost to their self healing from it). Still, this is really relevant only for newly minted tanks, and most go overboard by taking all comm enhancements instead of a mix if this is the concern, which just makes them take tons of damage in addition to spikes.

Riivan
10.29.2013 , 12:02 PM | #5
/signed

Just say no to endurance augments.

WNxTheMitch
10.29.2013 , 12:21 PM | #6
I have one question for every single one of you in this thread. Do you even tank?

At this point in the game, with horrible returns on Defense above 20% and massive hits in NiM raids, endurance stacking is half of the gearing game. Let me show you my tank.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...e-c9d441e63a39

If that doesn't show up correctly, just search for Rycanda on the shadowlands. If you look, his defense is sitting at 21.98 though it shows at 19.98 right now. The site isn't showing up my set bonus for some weird reason. Also, as a vanguard tank, I constantly have a buff to my absorption rating. If anything, my Shield rating needs to be dropped, but as it stands, this allows me to live through the current HM content. And you know what else? I have 49k hit points, which means I'm going to be living for quite a long time. Is my gear perfect? Not yet, but soon, I'll be full 78s and at that point, I'll be sitting over 50k health. It's the only way to go for vanguard tanks. And yes, I have tanked through the new HM content.

THoK-Zeus
10.29.2013 , 12:27 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by WNxTheMitch View Post
I have one question for every single one of you in this thread. Do you even tank?

At this point in the game, with horrible returns on Defense above 20% and massive hits in NiM raids, endurance stacking is half of the gearing game. Let me show you my tank.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...e-c9d441e63a39

If that doesn't show up correctly, just search for Rycanda on the shadowlands. If you look, his defense is sitting at 21.98 though it shows at 19.98 right now. The site isn't showing up my set bonus for some weird reason. Also, as a vanguard tank, I constantly have a buff to my absorption rating. If anything, my Shield rating needs to be dropped, but as it stands, this allows me to live through the current HM content. And you know what else? I have 49k hit points, which means I'm going to be living for quite a long time. Is my gear perfect? Not yet, but soon, I'll be full 78s and at that point, I'll be sitting over 50k health. It's the only way to go for vanguard tanks. And yes, I have tanked through the new HM content.
Have you ever tanked all the nim bosses with that gear, with 250 Absorption rating?!

You can get away with much in hm raids, but you wanna tell us that the only way for vanguards is to stack hp?! Hit points are giving you nothing to reduce incoming damage! You are like a dps with a lot of health basically.

DarthObelisk
10.29.2013 , 12:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ZooMzy View Post

you only have a 50% shield chance with your dark ward up ?

My shadow tank has 41k hp and 39% shield chance with out kinetic ward (dark ward for you assassin tanks) and 59% with it up
Jedi Sentinel 55 Jedi Consular 55 Jedi Shadow 55
Imperial Agent 55 Sith Assassin 55 Sith Sorcerer 55
Sith Warrior 50
Mercenary 55

Panzerfire
10.29.2013 , 12:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by WNxTheMitch View Post
I highly suggest that you take less endurance. As a vanguard/powertech tank who already needs the most amount of healing (by a small margin) you're worsening your situation by trading average mitigation for endurance.
Hardmodes let you get away with a lot (and that's a good thing since it encourages more to try them!) but now you're overgearing an operation so you can get away with a lot.

Oh and to the OP, 43-45k health is normal for tanks in 78 gear even without high endurance and endurance augments. Mitigation 78 will get you above 44k health (although I get 3% as an assassin so for other tanks it can be 43k). On the other hand I've seen dps with over 40k health please stop whomever you are.

RiChess
10.29.2013 , 12:38 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by THoK-Zeus View Post
Have you ever tanked all the nim bosses with that gear, with 250 Absorption rating?!

You can get away with much in hm raids, but you wanna tell us that the only way for vanguards is to stack hp?! Hit points are giving you nothing to reduce incoming damage! You are like a dps with a lot of health basically.
This. My PT in 69/72s is sitting at 19.5/40/34 with ~37k HP stimmed. I've also tanked all the new content in HM without issue. Now if I had 78s like you and went for mitigation instead of a fat health pool, I'd be tanking NiM anything and knocking it out of the park.

I have a guild friend that has his tank geared like yours, he's at ~46k, and when we are in parsec together I *always* take at least 10-20% less damage overall than him.
55- Sniper 55- Mara 55- Sage
55- Merc 55- Juggy
55- Sin 55- PT
55- Op 55- Sorc