Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Good Healers are hard to find


midianlord's Avatar


midianlord
10.24.2013 , 07:57 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by MCaliban View Post
EVE online?
The wonderful, wonderful exception to so many rules <3 <3

Thank God I'll always have that.

But there is, after a fashion "healing" (It's called "Remote-repair/Logistics") in that game too, it's just not "trinity"-based.
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
Merc and 'Slinger 4 life

All you'll ever need to know about PvP in this game: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=730402

Spoiler

slafko's Avatar


slafko
10.25.2013 , 01:01 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by jediharrsion View Post
This seems to be a common problem these days when it comes to operations. Finding good healers is more of a challenge then it should be. I have had to call off countless op's in the past because the healers couldn't do there job well.
In flashpoints too but those are teh joys og pugging.

Irongut's Avatar


Irongut
10.25.2013 , 05:47 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Bstr View Post
I always love people who stand in crap then complain that the healers can heal fast enough. I also love it when I am the healer and tanking most of the adds and DPS complain when they die.
^^ This.

Having rolled an operative healer as my latest character and run a lot of flashpoints (just got her to level 50) I have a new found respect for all the healers that I've played with before and how well I play my tank character. Most of the tanks I've seen recently are god awful. They don't seem to know what a taunt is, don't notice when all the adds are chasing me round the area and insist on standing in the aoe crap. Add to that dps who pull mobs first, ignore the adds chasing me and also stand in the crap and healing a pug fp is a tough job.

A good healer may be hard to find but someone who actually knows how to tank and half decent dps are the rarest beasts on my server.
◄[|||||||█[☼]█[███████████████████████████████████)

Lecaja's Avatar


Lecaja
10.25.2013 , 09:38 PM | #34
It's usually the healers who complain and for good reason. Simply put they can't do their job unless everyone else does theirs. Tanks need to draw agro and manage the flow of battle away from the healer. Dps need to be mindful of where the healer is placed and protect them. It's only when healers are not in combat or healing themselves that they can heal us. If you are still having problems go into Biochem and use resuables. You can only heal once a battle but once is more than enough for most Flashpoints.

My only complaint with healers, and this has only happened a couple of times, is when someone signs in as a healer but acts as a pure dps character. I understand not wanting to wait for a Flashpoint to pop but you have to fill the role you signed up for.

Delta_V's Avatar


Delta_V
10.25.2013 , 11:31 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Irongut View Post

A good healer may be hard to find but someone who actually knows how to tank and half decent dps are the rarest beasts on my server.
As someone who mains a dps, this has been my experience as well, at least at level 55.

In PUGs, of the three roles, healers seem to be the most consistently competent; finding healers that are legitimately bad is rare. Most tanks are at least decent, but there are still some derpy ones who have no concept of threat generation or holding agro on more than one target; there also seems to be a bigger issue with dps queuing as tanks compared to healers. And of course DPS is just a total crapshoot - whenever I get into a FP, it seems like there is a 50/50 chance of the other dps slot being taken by somebody who has absolutely no clue what they are doing.

This might be due to the fact that bad dps can be carried by other dps, while bad tanks can be carried (to an extent) by good healers, but good tanks can't really compensate for bad healers as well. So if a healer is simply bad, they probably end up not doing group content because they never complete it.

Michka's Avatar


Michka
10.25.2013 , 11:54 PM | #36
Quote:
It's usually the healers who complain and for good reason. Simply put they can't do their job unless everyone else does theirs. Tanks need to draw agro and manage the flow of battle away from the healer. Dps need to be mindful of where the healer is placed and protect them. It's only when healers are not in combat or healing themselves that they can heal us.
That's not true. Healers can make up for a lot of the mistakes of the raid group. That's part of the fun of healing (at least for me), to be able to take a bad situation of poor play and turn it into success. It makes it challenging and interesting and unpredictable. I don't need everything to go perfect, I don't need my tank to tank everything, I don't need my dps to avoid stuff 100% of the time, because finding ways to overcome those obstacles is part of the job of healing. If someone dies, there's a chance it was because they made a mistake and weren't playing well, but lots of bad play can be overcome with healing.

If I let someone die, even if it was kind of their fault, I always think to myself if there was something I could have done better myself, as a healer, to change the outcome. Group content is a team effort, so play as a team. It's not just on the dps and tanks to do that. You can heal through a lot more than you think if you don't write off too many situations as unhealable.
SIDOROV LEGACY
SORVALI.operative ++ DARQKLAW.mercenary ++ KHARAMAZOV.sorceror
STEELCLAW.scoundrel ++ DOMITROVICH.vanguard
<Zorz> <Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

thecoffeecup's Avatar


thecoffeecup
10.26.2013 , 07:01 AM | #37
Healers can make up for a lot of mistakes, and that certainly is fun, but it's a double-edged sword since you can make your groups too reliant on you to clean up their messes. I've seen that plenty in MMOs. When you finally come to a fight where you are just not able to deal with all the mistakes being made, suddenly people will need to learn how to play all over again.

I don't mind helping people who make mistakes. We all do, and I am extremely patient with people who are trying their best. I just don't want to carry people who aren't even trying to avoid standing in fire or aren't bothering to gear their characters properly. Especially the last point bothers me. People are very quick to judge especially tanks that are undergeared, but I see so many DPS who don't even augment their gear. If you don't do the bare minimum to pull your own weight, you shouldn't be raiding at all.

Of course there are genuinely bad healers as well. I don't think they last very long though!

Lecaja's Avatar


Lecaja
10.26.2013 , 04:47 PM | #38
A side effect of allowing us to purchase Treek is that I will never roll as a healer. If other people feel like me, if they get rid of Treek a lot more people will roll as healers since it can be a long wait before your class gets one and more healers mean a lot less wait time for Flashpoints, Operations etc.

Just pointing this out, I love my teddy bear and will throw a tantrum worthy of any little kid that gets their best friend/stuffed animal taken away.

BlackBolt's Avatar


BlackBolt
10.27.2013 , 05:54 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Holdt View Post
Form/join a guild with capable players. Reroll a healer. Screen your healers for experience/gear before inviting them. Complain on the forums about your inability to do the previous three. When those all fail, /uninstall.
5th option - Bioware makes addon API and more people reroll healers because it will get easier and more fun.

KittyCheshire's Avatar


KittyCheshire
10.27.2013 , 06:39 AM | #40
Is it weird that I find healing one of the easier roles? We usually have the least mechanics, in SM most mistakes are easy to outheal and overall the healing required is relatively low. 16man is even beyond ridicilous, sometimes I feel I might aswell not be there since straight after my heal hit I see another 5% being cleared by another big heal from one of the others. It would really suprise me if you can get 1 group where all healers can't pull their weight.

That being said I possibly overestimate DPS, I find it important to be on the right target at all times and maximizing my DPS even if we're not near any enrage timer. Tank isn't too complicated either, but has little room for errors and well, sadly it's very difficult to do your job properly with a taunt-it-all buddy that forgot to stack any mitigation because his epeen needs HP to feel good. To be fair unless the tanks are beyond saving I've never failed a PuG-operation. Which is rather sad considering I've not yet came around a mitigation-heavy tank.

In FPs I have come around some really bad healers (if you kick a healer and Treek can keep your team up you will want to cry.) But I also get around quite ridicilous DPS or simply plain rude DPS that rush in, not pop a single cooldown and don't care at all that their pug-tank might new to tanking, whilst I get aggro of everything he ignores and have to heal my *** off, sad part is that it's possible without any wipes, not does it push me to use consumeables, except on squishy Sorcerer/Sage.

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackBolt View Post
5th option - Bioware makes addon API and more people reroll healers because it will get easier and more fun.
Google failed me, could you explain (in easy terms) what that is? (PM if it's very off-tpic, I would really appreciate it!)