Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher won't open.

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZacPetit
04.13.2013 , 04:11 PM | #21
Hello everyone, long time player first time poster.

My friend had this happen to her and we fixed it by running SWTOR_Setup.exe. However, her computer (for some reason) doesn't get all the way through this .exe, so we had to do some ninja stuff.

First, you'll want a working copy of WINRAR and a fresh copy of SWTOR_Setup.exe (www.swtor.com/downloads).

Next, open your SWTOR directory and get rid of everything but the "Assets" and "Movies" folders (these contain the largest files and don't conflict with launcher.exe).

Next, add SWTOR_Setup.exe to your SWTOR directory, right click and hit "Extract here." You'll notice that it has unpacked swtor.rar, swtor0.rar, swtor1.rar, and swtor2.rar. You'll need to extract each of those to your directory as well. NOTE: ALWAYS REPLACE FILES WHEN GIVEN THE OPTION.

This should create a new launcher.exe which should now work. Good luck!

**EDIT** This seems to force the launcher to download a bunch of files you already have. You may need to experiment with what files you need to keep and which files you need to ditch to get the new launcher.exe to work.

Cpom
07.17.2013 , 09:53 PM | #22
And still none of these work for me.
I've even been on the phone to tech support however i was put on hold for 3 hours and then couldn't afford the phone bill
I have no Client_settings file, hidden or not its just not there.
The launcher, as previously discussed, will run in processes but not UI will show and the Process will disappear.
what do i do

OwenBrooks
07.18.2013 , 12:34 AM | #23
If you are running win 64 , goto c:\windows\syswow64 folder and look for a file called libcef.dll, copy it out to a temp folder and see if it makes a difference.

Styxian
10.23.2013 , 11:18 AM | #24
I have exactly the same problem as described in the original post (launcher doesn't open, its process can be observed via Task Manager to automatically close a few seconds after launch).

None of the suggested solutions in this thread have worked.

I've tried:
- running FixLauncher.exe
- downloading and running LauncherRepairUtility1_75_5.exe
- deleting current launcher.exe and running SWTOR_setup.exe to extract it anew.
- disabling firewall and playing with browser connection settings (LAN settings -> Check/Uncheck 'Automatically detect settings' makes no difference)
- changing .ini file to launch in windowed mode
- deleting DiskCacheArena file

There are no new logs created in the logs folder with each attempt - last log file there is from 3 months ago when I last played the game.

Please help.

Bronholz
10.23.2013 , 01:27 PM | #25 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Styxian,

Thanks for contacting us

Have you tried opening the launcher Safe Mode with Networking or a Clean Boot? Does the launcher open in either of these modes.

Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Styxian
10.23.2013 , 02:23 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Greetings Styxian,

Thanks for contacting us

Have you tried opening the launcher Safe Mode with Networking or a Clean Boot? Does the launcher open in either of these modes.

Just tried booting in Safe Mode with Networking and running the game, no luck. Result is exactly the same = windows cursor changes to wait hourglass for a moment, then after 5-8 seconds the Launcher.exe process shuts down with no indication of what went wrong.

Bronholz
10.23.2013 , 03:12 PM | #27 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for trying that.

Please check your reliability report to see if there are any errors for the Launcher, you can do this by following the steps below:
  • Open your Start menu and type "reliability" into the search box, select the option 'View Reliability History'
  • Look for any 'SWTOR' or 'Launcher' errors.
  • Double-click the related Critical Event under Source.
Please post the full information of the reliability history within [code][/code] or [spoiler][/spoiler] tags

Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Styxian
10.23.2013 , 10:41 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Thanks for trying that.

Please check your reliability report to see if there are any errors for the Launcher, you can do this by following the steps below:
  • Open your Start menu and type "reliability" into the search box, select the option 'View Reliability History'
  • Look for any 'SWTOR' or 'Launcher' errors.
  • Double-click the related Critical Event under Source.
Please post the full information of the reliability history within [code][/code] or [spoiler][/spoiler] tags

Indeed, there are several crash reports listed there! I'm posting the information from the last one below. My OS is in russian language only, so I'm posting two versions - the first is "as is" original (in russian), and the second is english version translated by google:

Spoiler

Translated version:

Spoiler

ShaderGuy
10.27.2013 , 09:15 PM | #29
I'm having the same problem as Styxian. I'm attempting to install SWTOR on a new computer. Here is the sequence I go through:

1. Download SWTOR_setup.exe and run it. It installs just fine.
2. Run the launcher. It opens and then says it's being updated. Please wait...
3. The launcher patches itself and then attempts to restart, but never comes back.
5. I attempt to run the launcher in multiple compatibility modes, safe mode, and clean boot. None work.
4. I delete the "patch" folder in the SWTOR directory and then run FixLauncher.exe. This causes steps 2 and 3 to repeat, but still the launcher won't open.

So - when I attempt to run the launcher, the exe process opens for a small amount of time and then closes. I see the outline of the launcher on the screen for a split second, but it never comes up.

I also tried the following and none of them work for me:
- turning off my firewall
- looking for rogue copies of libcef.dll
- launching in safe mode and in clean boot
- copying the entire swtor directory from another computer where the launcher is working correctly.

I also looked at my Reliability Report for errors and found none.

Please note that I've never actually been able to type in any log-in information in the launcher or hit the "Play" button etc, so any suggestions related to the way the client works don't apply. This is purely a problem with the launcher - and it's a problem specific to this machine, or maybe the fact that I'm installing fresh, since I have the game installed and running fine on several other machines.

If there is anything else you know of that I can try, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Styxian
10.27.2013 , 10:32 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by ShaderGuy View Post
So - when I attempt to run the launcher, the exe process opens for a small amount of time and then closes. I see the outline of the launcher on the screen for a split second, but it never comes up.
I don't even get an outline, so you're getting one split second further than me.

But yeah, an update on this issue would be appreciated.