Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need Some Help Understanding Values

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Need Some Help Understanding Values

skydrgn's Avatar

10.22.2013 , 05:34 PM | #1
Hey guys,
So I've recently hit 55 on my sin tank and I'm trying to delve into the numerical side with defense values and mitigation but I'm not sure where to start. I'm nowhere near endgame content (I can only do TFB and SnV on story mode), but I do feel that if I understand or atleast get the basics behind the numbers it'd help me in the long run. So what I'm asking is, can anyone point me to some resources or threads here that are focused in that area? I know everyone's done ALOT of work on this, and I'd really appreciate it if someone points me in the right direction!
Also, another question I have is, when I'm trying to upgrade pieces of gear it seems the values are mismatched and not a direct upgrade, so I'm tentative on getting new pieces of gear since I might lose absorb or gain accuracy when I don't need it. Should I not worry about that in this stage of where I'm at? Anywho, thanks for any help!

cs_zoltan's Avatar

10.22.2013 , 06:01 PM | #2
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. Now get out of here.

The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
KÚja, Kejann, Aemis, KyrÝ, Kyra'h, KÚssa, Frńngit, Lamţa, Kalk´Maelin, Morwy

cxten's Avatar

10.22.2013 , 07:27 PM | #3
Short answer:

If you get a new piece with an accuracy or alacrity enhancement, just put one of your older enhancements in its spot. Don't use the accuracy or alacrity enhancement, but also don't throw out the rest of the piece.

In general, as an assassin, prioritize absorb over defense, but some defense is fine.

For more precise answers, check the link in the post above as well as other threads in this forum.

Joshthecook's Avatar

10.22.2013 , 09:43 PM | #4
The short answer for Shadow/Sin tanks are stack absorb, then shield then defense. If you are looking at gear that can be bought with coms, most of it sucks especially in the enhancement department. You are not going to find a enhancement that will be anything more than high endurance, high shield and very low absorb. While these are better than an enhancement with say accuracy in it, they are far from ideal. What you should be looking for and at, are the token pieces that drop from TFB and S&V. These are far better than anything you can buy with coms and they contain the set bonus's. As far as implants and ear pieces are concerned, just look for the ones that offer mitigation stats over stats like accuracy. General rule I use is bypass a token piece if it has useless stats on it.

You are going to have to swap out pieces regardless. My advice, find a look you like, augment every piece you are going to keep and swap the armorings, mods and enhancements. Word to the wise, once you get a set bonus piece, do not swap it out for a higher armoring (i.e. a 78 for a 69 set bonus) until you acquire a new set bonus piece. Sorry for the answer not being that short...

skydrgn's Avatar

10.23.2013 , 11:52 AM | #5
you guys are awesome, thanks again for the help!

dipstik's Avatar

10.23.2013 , 02:58 PM | #6
just so u understand the game mechanics involved with tanking and mitigation:

there are 3 types of damage: melee/ranged energy/kinetic (thats one type), force/tech energy/kinetic and force/tech elemental/internal.

you can defend melee/ranged attacks (typically bosses have attacks called melee/ranged and they are attacks with 90% accuracy, and all the named attacks have 100% accuracy). when u can defend against an attack you role defense first. so if the boss attacks with melee/ranged un-named attack, and you have 20% defense, there is a 90-20=70% chance it will hit you, and a 30% chance you take no damage. if its a named attack you would have a 20% chance to take no damage

if you lose the defense role, you then get a shield role for melee/ranged kinetic/energy attacks. so if your shield chance is 60%, there is a 60% (assuming you lost the defense roll) chance the hit will be partially absorb (the amount absorbed is based on your absorb stat). so if you have 40% absorb, you will mitigate 40% of the damage.

all kinetic/energy damage is partially mitigated by you armor, which increases with gear item level increases.

force/tech attacks of all types cannot be defended against, but they can be resisted (shown as resist in charcater sheet). resist chance is very low (2 to 7%) and is not affected by gear stats. for force/tech energy/kinetic damage, if u lose the resist role,you still get a shield role, just like for kinetic/energy damage. but for force/tech internal/elemental damage, you do not get a shield role (still get resist role). the mitigation you get to internal/elemental damage is from you internal resistance stat, which does not increase with gear (except set bonuses)