Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Calculating static values for relics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Calculating static values for relics

Master-Jerico
10.16.2013 , 02:32 AM | #1
Hi guys,

My main is a Guardian, and Iím looking to gear him best I can according to KBNís Stat distributions. Just some confusion about proc relics. Iím still a little confused how to work out a static value for the proc relics. As far as Iím aware Ė and according to some info on the Ideal Tank distribution thread, the Fortunate Redoubt works out to be about 180 as a downweighted static value. I couldn't work out how they did it. How do I work this out for the Shield Amplification (Arkanian for the moment) which is supposed to be the next BiS?

Iím really lost otherwise, and donít know what I need to focus on.

Thanks for any help
Caelis
<Luminous>

Torgru
10.16.2013 , 05:44 AM | #2
Basically, you just take it's uptime (6 seconds), multiply the value by that, then divide by the internal cooldown (20 seconds). Then, you add any static bonus. As for Shield Amplification, the Reactive Warding actually provides greater mean mitigation than it does, so your BiS would be Fortunate Redoubt + Reactive Warding.
The Raine Legacy
Ellisish - 55 Sniper -+- AlexÔs - 55 Juggernaut
Teneree - 55 Powetech -+- Arayani - 55 Mercenary
Kherama - 55 Marauder -+- Iannada - 55 Assassin -+- Lisi - 55 Operative

Master-Jerico
10.16.2013 , 06:47 AM | #3
Thanks a bunch for that. Makes much more sense now I see how it's done.
Caelis
<Luminous>

Master-Jerico
10.19.2013 , 09:47 AM | #4
Actually, now that I do this, can I confirm some numbers?

With Fortunate Redoubt I'm working with a figure of 180 mitigation points for Defense. With Reusable Nano-Infused Stim that makes my Defense 892 + 180 = 1072.

For Shield I have 932

And for Absorb including Reactive Warding (Arkanian) I have 616 + 100 (6 x 740 / 40 - 10% to downweight and round off)

Giving me a total stat budget of 2720.

Does that seem like an accurate stat budget or have i arsed it up somewhere?
Caelis
<Luminous>

cxten
10.21.2013 , 10:15 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Torgru View Post
Basically, you just take it's uptime (6 seconds), multiply the value by that, then divide by the internal cooldown (20 seconds). Then, you add any static bonus. As for Shield Amplification, the Reactive Warding actually provides greater mean mitigation than it does, so your BiS would be Fortunate Redoubt + Reactive Warding.
This is a close approximation, but the relic will take a bit more than 20 seconds to proc. For how to get more precise average values, see the discussion of dps proc relics here.

(On top of that, there's the issue that due to diminishing returns, 625 defense for 6 seconds out of 20 isn't as much mitigation as 625*6/20 static defense. This issue doesn't come up with power proc or damage proc relics.)

Ignoring diminishing returns, if you are taking 1 hit/second and have the dread forged relic of fortunate redoubt (30% chance of 625 defense for 6 seconds when hit, 20 second lockout), it averages out to 161 defense. If you're taking 2 or 3 hits per second it's 173 or 178. In the limit where you're taking huge numbers of hits per second, it approaches 625*6/20 = 187.5.

Anyway, this is a bit technical, but just know that it's a bit worse for average mitigation, for two reasons (1 - doesn't proc immediately after lockout, 2 - diminishing returns in the stat, if applicable), than [stat given]*[time given for]/[lockout time] static stat.

cxten
10.21.2013 , 10:35 AM | #6
Getting the diminishing returns:

From dipstik's thread: Guardians have 18 base defense, plus recommended 787 defense in full dread forged gives 18+10.00 = 28.00 defense.

If you proc 625 extra defense, then you have 18+15.47 = 33.47 defense.

Let's just say it procs for 6 seconds out of 20 for simplicity to start with, with 625 defense. Then this is as good as [for average mitigation] having 29.64 defense all the time. This is the same as having 169 extra defense (compare to a time average of the defense stat being 187.5 in this case).

You can do the same thing using the longer proc time discussed in the post above if you want to combine the effects (they're not additive effects). Anyway, if you're taking about 3 hits per second, then with both effects [longer proc time + diminishing returns] it's about 30 defense worse than 625*6/20 = 187.5 static defense, if you're in full dread forged with dipstik's recommended stat budget. If you're only taking 1 hit per second, it's about 45 defense worse.