Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Esseles or "Mama said Ironfist knock you out"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
The Esseles or "Mama said Ironfist knock you out"

Banluil's Avatar


Banluil
12.23.2011 , 02:30 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by londerwost View Post
Before logging, I asked the guild about it and basically they all did it either at higher level or having someone run them through it. Some suggested getting to 13 or 14 for taunt and better powers.

Seems silly to have something that is seemingly your first instance, that is also a transition to your next location, when you can't do it without getting to that location and getting better gear, more levels, and having more people. Or saying it's two person when it's really 4 person. It's basically misinformation about the expectations of this instance.

Good moral booster, too, for someone expecting one thing then getting something unpleasant instead. Kinda killed my evening.
# 1...this is far from the only way to get to your next location, you can take a shuttle directly to Coruscant without taking the Essles.

#2...it is doable with 2 people on level, as has been stated by many of the replies above you, however, you have to work hard at it to get it done with two people. Most people will just roll through it with 4, and have no problems, but it is able to be done with 2.

#3....if you are having morale problems after being defeated in an instance....really? I'm sorry...things like that do nothing more than pump me up and make me come back for more. Take it as a challange that you want to take him down even harder, not just look at the screen and sigh in defeat. I'm not sure how many times I went back at later levels back in the EQ days and killed Kizden Gix and that damn Griffin in the newbie areas... just get revenge for your deaths when you can, and plan your strategy a bit better this time.



tl/dr .... It's doable with 2 people, it take strategy and patience, but it can be done.
Peace is a Lie.
Banluil Larens
Sith Warrior

Karzi's Avatar


Karzi
12.23.2011 , 03:24 AM | #12
When he does is rocket attack its an aoe on the person he targets and he randomly attacks everyone in the encounter with them.

If you have melee range companions and you melee you all take the damage of each rocket. The full volley hitting just person comes to like half your health. Crammed together meleeing him will be like half the halt of all three.

This is why hes easy for a healer to solo but can wipe in a full group.

londerwost's Avatar


londerwost
12.23.2011 , 12:04 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Banluil View Post
# 1...this is far from the only way to get to your next location, you can take a shuttle directly to Coruscant without taking the Essles.

#2...it is doable with 2 people on level, as has been stated by many of the replies above you, however, you have to work hard at it to get it done with two people. Most people will just roll through it with 4, and have no problems, but it is able to be done with 2.

#3....if you are having morale problems after being defeated in an instance....really? I'm sorry...things like that do nothing more than pump me up and make me come back for more. Take it as a challange that you want to take him down even harder, not just look at the screen and sigh in defeat. I'm not sure how many times I went back at later levels back in the EQ days and killed Kizden Gix and that damn Griffin in the newbie areas... just get revenge for your deaths when you can, and plan your strategy a bit better this time.



tl/dr .... It's doable with 2 people, it take strategy and patience, but it can be done.
I understand that it's not the only way to travel to next location (although dialog gives a false impression). I understand that you believe it is doable at level with two people. I understand that you believe I'm playing the game wrong. I can assure you, I look at things with patience and understanding. I believe I'm a fairly experienced player with good perception of game mechanics. With that I can recognize when something is just beyond what our two characters can do, regardless of strategy. When the game is geared in a way that is not balanced, it frustrates me because there is no option but to get more people or do it later. That is what I saw in Esseles.

Since not everyone is able to do it at level with two people (as stated by others in this thread) it means the instance needs re balance or different description. It's the first instance for gods sake, not some end game raid. Experienced players should not be struggling with it when following Bioware's own guidelines.

tl/dr... you think I'm doing it wrong. I disagree.

Syas's Avatar


Syas
12.23.2011 , 12:56 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by londerwost View Post
tl/dr... you think I'm doing it wrong. I disagree.
I don't mean to sound condescending here but, you are. I can't tell you how because I haven't seen you play, but I have done numerous L10-L11 2-Man Esseles runs with just about every combo possible. It is not an easy instance with 2 people, but it is doable.
Thall | Combat Medic ||| Kannus | Kinetic Shadow
Dars'yl | Immortal Juggernaut ||| Sudor | Concealment Operative
Ebon Hawke

londerwost's Avatar


londerwost
12.23.2011 , 02:36 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Syas View Post
I don't mean to sound condescending here but, you are. I can't tell you how because I haven't seen you play, but I have done numerous L10-L11 2-Man Esseles runs with just about every combo possible. It is not an easy instance with 2 people, but it is doable.
This is actually my point. If an instance is recommended for two people, then it should be more than just doable, especially in low levels.

There are always going to be people who can get just the right combination of powers and class sets, or do exactly the right fight, to do things that are beyond what is recommended, ie soloing an instance that is recommended for 2-4 players. This will always be the case. However, if the instance is designed for two players, is a low level intro to instances, it is reasonable to expect that two people, new to the game, should be able to do it. Chamber of Speech is a prime example. Recommended two players, it is doable with one but difficult. Two people and it's more than doable. The case should be the same for Esseles. It should be doable by some solo, more than doable with two.

Just because you found it easy, does not mean the instance is balanced for everyone. Which it should be for an low level introduction to the first real instance. The expectation should not be so high as to compare to a high level raid in regards to being unforgiving to new players.

FalmeseReb's Avatar


FalmeseReb
12.23.2011 , 03:10 PM | #16
maybe find a 3rd person? Its not designed to be faceroll with two people. Especially if you cant heal.

FalmeseReb's Avatar


FalmeseReb
12.23.2011 , 03:13 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by londerwost View Post
This is actually my point. If an instance is recommended for two people, then it should be more than just doable, especially in low levels.

There are always going to be people who can get just the right combination of powers and class sets, or do exactly the right fight, to do things that are beyond what is recommended, ie soloing an instance that is recommended for 2-4 players. This will always be the case. However, if the instance is designed for two players, is a low level intro to instances, it is reasonable to expect that two people, new to the game, should be able to do it. Chamber of Speech is a prime example. Recommended two players, it is doable with one but difficult. Two people and it's more than doable. The case should be the same for Esseles. It should be doable by some solo, more than doable with two.

Just because you found it easy, does not mean the instance is balanced for everyone. Which it should be for an low level introduction to the first real instance. The expectation should not be so high as to compare to a high level raid in regards to being unforgiving to new players.
The description says 2+ not 2. To me that means that its possible with 2, but recommended that you have 3 or even 4. I don't see the problem here, the instance is not hard at all. They actually brought the difficulty down some since beta.

londerwost's Avatar


londerwost
12.23.2011 , 03:35 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by FalmeseReb View Post
The description says 2+ not 2. To me that means that its possible with 2, but recommended that you have 3 or even 4. I don't see the problem here, the instance is not hard at all. They actually brought the difficulty down some since beta.
I have no doubt I can do it with more people and/or better gear. Which is probably what I'll do. I just think Bioware is misleading people by having this as your first contact saying "if you have more than one person, you should take the Esseles." Then under the actual mission it literally states: "This mission is for a group. Two players recommended." (copied it directly from the text). This along with making all the mobs up to Ironfist super easy sets up a false expectation for new players. I'm sure once I've done it a few times I'll be a pro, but I don't think it's fair to players who are doing it for the first time.

We can have our high bar raid instances that require perfection at the end of the game. I don't think it should be expected for a first real instance.

And for the record, I'm not facerolling. I haven't played above level 20, but I have rolled a bunch of jedi, both consular and knight, in beta and pre-launch, on several servers. I've researched which powers to use in which priority. I'm no where near an expert SWTOR player but I have a very good handle on early game mechanics.

SodaSiphon's Avatar


SodaSiphon
01.01.2012 , 07:53 AM | #19
Well, you guys' must be doing it completely wrong.

I just did it with 2 people. Me being level 9 and my partner level 11.

ForceMaster's Avatar


ForceMaster
01.01.2012 , 08:47 AM | #20
I'd try doing it with four players instead of two players and two companions...that's how I did Esseles and we beat it the first time we tried and Ironfist was no trouble for us.
There is no Light, there is no Dark, there is only the Force