Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
10.08.2013 , 04:09 PM | #981
Quote: Originally Posted by WooliestWorm View Post
True the dps were doing it wrong but you have to wonder what the tank was doing as well, they should at least be building enough aggro on the whole pack to prevent the healer pulling.
I've run instances with him before, both as a healer and as a dps in everything up to hard mode content. Tank is his alt, and he was not every well geared at the time, however I've never had issues.

Even if the fault was entirely on him, it's besides the point. Pulling a "look at the guild tag" as their only response is incredibly silly and tacky. If you want to be respected, act respectfully towards others, don't demand it because your guild tag is well known.

And they did in fact do what he asked, and everything went fine after that. I can also say that there is only so much threat and so many taunts a tank has in a large group of mobs. If dps are just letting 5 weak mobs fire away while trying to hold the strongs and elites, they will eventually turn on the healer. DPS can practically 1-2 shot them, they should always die first.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

WooliestWorm's Avatar


WooliestWorm
10.08.2013 , 06:30 PM | #982
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I've run instances with him before, both as a healer and as a dps in everything up to hard mode content. Tank is his alt, and he was not every well geared at the time, however I've never had issues.

Even if the fault was entirely on him, it's besides the point. Pulling a "look at the guild tag" as their only response is incredibly silly and tacky. If you want to be respected, act respectfully towards others, don't demand it because your guild tag is well known.

And they did in fact do what he asked, and everything went fine after that. I can also say that there is only so much threat and so many taunts a tank has in a large group of mobs. If dps are just letting 5 weak mobs fire away while trying to hold the strongs and elites, they will eventually turn on the healer. DPS can practically 1-2 shot them, they should always die first.
I'm not denying that the look at our guild bit is stupid and no it's not entirely his fault, it just sounds like his response to the dps tunnel visioning the strongest mob was to also tunnel vision the strongest mob, in that situation you should be focusing on making sure the adds don't switch off you to the healer. Worst case scenario you lose aggro on the elite but as you mentioned they generally don't do a great deal of damage and for most groups you should be able to keep your taunt free for when this happens. If he's inexperienced as a tank fair enough, it just might be something he'd like to bare in mind if it happens again.

Galsarus's Avatar


Galsarus
10.08.2013 , 10:46 PM | #983
Two experience from last night (I'm Australian) while completing the HMFP Weekly that left me absolutely stunned and lost for words-

1. Queue up for for 55HMFP with 2 guildies (damage and healer) with me tanking on my shadow - get a pop for one of the Czerka HMFPs in 10 seconds. after we load in, I noticed the other DPS was a lvl 55 Jedi Knight (That's right - a knight, no advanced class). Upon inspection, I realized with alarm the fellow had full Willpower Tanking gear and no Form activated. Absolutely nothing in his Conservator set or his MH or OH had strength . I asked why he has no advanced class and why he's got Shadow tanking mods on. The reply I got - "I can whip your scrawny A** with one hand tied behind my back, do your job and keep quiet." I was too tired to even take offense to that so I wished him luck in the GF queue and left with my guildies following me, accepting the 15 min lockout.

2. We queue for final HMFP with switched roles (I'm DPS this time) and get a pop for Mando Raiders. We get a Commando DPS who asked if he could Tank instead. The tank mentions that Commandos can't tank Vanguards can, he replies, "Watch and learn Noob!" Charges in in true Leeroy Jenkins fashion even before we have a chance to react. We're on TS wondering if this guy is for real as he valiantly engages the trash that spawn from elevator (cycling hammer shot) before the first entry door and then rushes in and sets off the mobs inside the entry door. While the tank tries to take aggro off him - Commando runs off and sets both the elite droids and adds. The healer is relatively new to healing (first sage toon) and starts to panic while the actual tank burnt all his CDs tanking 2 Elite droids, 2 dogs and the whole host of trash and trying to burn the dogs, and droids and Adds. Commando promptly goes down followed by the rest of us, cursing the healer for not maintaining the defensive buffs (all of us wondering what defensive buffs is he talking about) on him and shouts at the tank for taking Aggro off him. After we revive, we calmly mention that he is a DPS class, not a Tanking class. In reply he pops his "Founder" title and goes - "See this? Means I've been playing this game longer than you noobs. Vanguards can't tank for s**t." Realizing 1am in the morning is not an ideal time for having an in-depth argument about his fallacious and insulting attitude I wish him luck (read- Flipping the bird at him) and proceed to log off. just before porting out of the HMFP, I mention to him if he really wants to tank, he should really switch to Combat Support Cell

Ancaglon's Avatar


Ancaglon
10.09.2013 , 04:16 AM | #984
Quote: Originally Posted by Galsarus View Post
1. Queue up for for 55HMFP with 2 guildies (damage and healer) with me tanking on my shadow
...
and left with my guildies following me, accepting the 15 min lockout.
You could have vote-kicked him in that circumstance -- instead you say you let him get a free pass.

The second story is pretty much the same.

A swift vote-to-kick and ignore is the appropriate response in both cases, if it happened the way you describe. A clueless dps is pretty easy to replace; even if you use a DPS companion while you wait for a pop, it will work just fine for trash, and even for many FP bosses.

Duvack's Avatar


Duvack
10.09.2013 , 07:24 AM | #985
Quote: Originally Posted by Galsarus View Post
Realizing 1am in the morning is not an ideal time for having an in-depth argument about his fallacious and insulting attitude I wish him luck (read- Flipping the bird at him) and proceed to log off. just before porting out of the HMFP, I mention to him if he really wants to tank, he should really switch to Combat Support Cell

As a HTF Combat Medic, this made me LOL
The Shadowlands: The Faradhi Legacy
Vashanna - Level 60 Guardian / Colete - Level 60 Sorcerer / Merane - level 60 Vanguard / Alyssandria - Level 60 Operative / Saschenka - level 58 Gunslinger / Anjolle - level 55 Sentinel / K'Voral - level 60 Power Tech / Frederique - Level 57 Combat Medic

gearmasher's Avatar


gearmasher
10.09.2013 , 07:37 AM | #986
Had a weird pop for Athiss HM last night. The tank says at the start of the FP "I'm a bit rusty, haven't tanked a HM FP for 3 months".

I'm like, ok, let's see how we go. We clear the first two bosses, The Professor, and The Beast just fine.

Then as we are about to enter the temple the tank says

"I just spent the last 3 months in jail."

OK ...

"Don't do pot in Kansas. I didn't have computer access for 3 months".

Not sure if he was trolling or not but that was completely random.

iota-dhegon's Avatar


iota-dhegon
10.09.2013 , 09:36 AM | #987
Always met interesting people in 55HM GF queue's ..last night i took a guildie through Athiss 55, i am a combat medic, he is a gunnery commando, we get paired with two jedi, the tank looks at out gear and says "i feel a wipe coming on" , he has fully decked out ultimate for the most part, i had all the mission gear from Oricon, plus a few decent items from a couple other 55 HM's, the guildie mate of mine just pure 156 gear he bought from the cartel market. He kept on yelling at me "to get better gear" even though i kept everyone alive and always at max health, but yet, i was in the wrong some how for having under geared gear even though i kept everyone alive.. i really do not understand some people.

Lord_of_Mu's Avatar


Lord_of_Mu
10.09.2013 , 04:03 PM | #988
Quote: Originally Posted by iota-dhegon View Post
Always met interesting people in 55HM GF queue's ..last night i took a guildie through Athiss 55, i am a combat medic, he is a gunnery commando, we get paired with two jedi, the tank looks at out gear and says "i feel a wipe coming on" , he has fully decked out ultimate for the most part, i had all the mission gear from Oricon, plus a few decent items from a couple other 55 HM's, the guildie mate of mine just pure 156 gear he bought from the cartel market. He kept on yelling at me "to get better gear" even though i kept everyone alive and always at max health, but yet, i was in the wrong some how for having under geared gear even though i kept everyone alive.. i really do not understand some people.
I wouldn't worry about it. About to have a senior moment but back when I used to play WoW and gearscore became a big deal with the drooling masses, people were getting all kinds of insults thrown at them and getting kicked out of groups for now having a high enough gear score.

I once had a prot and ret paladin tell me that my ret paladin wasn't geared enough for the 5 man trial of the crusade instances. I had a guild member with me that was running a damage meter. Lets just say I was coming in second behind my guild mate in damage done, despite having worse gear than the other geared paladin dps.

All I did to achieve my higher damage was use seal of command (cleave damage) on a few of the three mob pulls. Just a simple thing like knowing my abilities allowed me to deal more damage than someone in better gear. Amazing how that works.

The point being, Skill > Gear. Gear makes your job easier but skill can make up for a lack of gear.

Oh and for the earlier comment about people using their guild tag as a defense for being stupid. In my little bit of history I just provided I was at the time an officer for the top guild on that server. I never once mentioned that as a defense or means to imply that I was better than anyone in the group. I just played my class intelligently.

Anyone who tries to use their guild tag as an excuse to make their stupid behavior acceptable is a childish scrub.

Galsarus's Avatar


Galsarus
10.09.2013 , 06:41 PM | #989
Quote: Originally Posted by Ancaglon View Post
You could have vote-kicked him in that circumstance -- instead you say you let him get a free pass.

The second story is pretty much the same.

A swift vote-to-kick and ignore is the appropriate response in both cases, if it happened the way you describe. A clueless dps is pretty easy to replace; even if you use a DPS companion while you wait for a pop, it will work just fine for trash, and even for many FP bosses.
Hi Ancaglon,

You may very well be correct in vote-kicking and ignoring him, but the way that I look at it - I lost 15 minutes which I utilised to run some quick dailies and was back into it straight away. the Knight on the other hand was condemned to the frustration that is DPS GF queue

The Commando did push my buttons, but as I mentioned - I couldn't be bothered to get angry or rage about it (you can't have a good sleep if you're angry). I do appreciate the fact that situations like these provide an endless source of laughs and good memories as I myself have been the instigator of many a "how dumb are you?!" stories (force leap to a target I just force pushed off a ledge, stealth CC target and then start attacking said target, hard casting mind crush in the middle of an engagement.....as a tank)

My apologies for digressing from the original point of this thread

LingBa's Avatar


LingBa
10.09.2013 , 07:59 PM | #990
I can't help wondering if the "look at the guild tag" response was meant to be funny. The fact that they immediately did as asked and played proper DPS suggests they knew how to play. Humour is difficult to determine with just written words. Communication is 10% words, 40% tone of voice and 50% body language.

Of course they could have just been arseholes
Living Legend; Imperial Diehard; Republic Diehard; Master Craftsman; Galactic Hero
55s: Sentinel (x2); Guardian Dps; Shadow Tank; Gunslinger; Vangurd Tank; Marauder; Juggernaut Tank; Sorcerer Healer; Powertech Tank; Mercenary Dps; Sniper
WiP: Operative Healer; Shadow Dps; Scoundrel Healer; Assassin Tank